Hi new owner '18 compass do U connect? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Hi new owner '18 compass do U connect?

Good evening jeep peeps! Hi got a new 2018 Jeep Compass sport 4x4 6M.

I was unable to get my wife's phone connected via Uconnect. I searched the internet for "uconnect 2018 jeep compass" issues and found this forum. Wow I was suprised there are this many issues with this system.

I for one would prefer an "old style" single DIN or something just plain radio. I don't care about all the fancy features and in my opinion all these infotainment systems they jam into cars aren't needed and are just achilles heels, as seems to be the case.

Is the majority of people with problems the 8.4 (limited or trailhawk?)

I notice that the 7 inch system is laggy. I hit buttons and sometimes the orange polygon doesn't light up, other times it lags and takes a second. This is distracting while driving so I avoid using the system entirely. I haven't had any of the rebooting or error message issues yet. I'm crossing my fingers that this doesn't happen to me. I'm hoping that the reason I can't connect android audio (whatever that is) is because the wire is not good or something. I have a USB flash drive with mp3's that I stick in there and music comes out so that's good enough for me.
What is the matter with a plain jane radio too? Why does this thing default to xm that is just like 250 channels of sports? not impressed with the value added by this 'infotainment center'

I put the display on "Compass" and this is still so laggy. I was driving in a roundabout in 3rd and it was barely able to keep up with my azimuth changes. I could get to west and it still said north.

I vote that people demand low tech options for cars. There is no reason a company cannot sell a base model with a stick shift and no stupid electronics.

I sometimes think things like this are a scam; What nefarious industry executive said "you know what people like? Cellphone touch screens, we're now gonna jam those into every single new car so that crap can break and go out of date and they have to get a new car".

If it comes to it hopefully FCA or others will go back to normal radios/controls so that we don't have to suffer with this tech that obviously isn't ready for the rigors of the road.

-jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 AM

Changing back will never happen. You unfortunately are in the minority. 95% of the peeps want as much tech as they can get.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-13-2018, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_84045 View Post
Changing back will never happen. You unfortunately are in the minority. 95% of the peeps want as much tech as they can get.
Yeah seems like a silly trend IMO.
More junk no one needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 AM

I'm right there with you joninpa I would be happy with regular radios that can be replaced with something to your liking.

We are in the process of buying and I'm still trying to figure out if the 8.4 nav is much if any different from the 8.4 without nav other than having the navigation stuff. One of the sales managers told me one of the Comasses he could get had a faster display and I think he said the new 4C or something like that was less buggy band had no lag. But then I found out the charge to bring that Compass to his lot was almost 1200 bucks ouch! For that I would buy the one I already test drove and have them put the crazy expensive hitch on it! But now wondering if there are differences in the 8.4 displays then I want the best or newest one because like pointed out everything goes though it. Plus we will be connecting our phones to it for the GPS. Hoping the Waze will work or they soon fix whatever the issue is that was posted here about it.

So much crazy junk in cars these days that is buggy very worried what ends up happening when all cars go autonomous where a little electronic hiccup lands you head on with an 18 wheeler. lol
post #5 of 10 Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
I'm right there with you joninpa I would be happy with regular radios that can be replaced with something to your liking.

We are in the process of buying and I'm still trying to figure out if the 8.4 nav is much if any different from the 8.4 without nav other than having the navigation stuff. One of the sales managers told me one of the Comasses he could get had a faster display and I think he said the new 4C or something like that was less buggy band had no lag. But then I found out the charge to bring that Compass to his lot was almost 1200 bucks ouch! For that I would buy the one I already test drove and have them put the crazy expensive hitch on it! But now wondering if there are differences in the 8.4 displays then I want the best or newest one because like pointed out everything goes though it. Plus we will be connecting our phones to it for the GPS. Hoping the Waze will work or they soon fix whatever the issue is that was posted here about it.

So much crazy junk in cars these days that is buggy very worried what ends up happening when all cars go autonomous where a little electronic hiccup lands you head on with an 18 wheeler. lol
He might be talking out his arse, I test drove some with the 8.4 with nav, and 8.4 without nav. I did not notice any difference is speed or responsiveness or accuracy at all. I obviously didn't have a stop watch and time it, but I didn't notice a difference. The only thing besides nav that the nav version does is the guardian stuff. If you want to pay even more money to start your Jeep with your phone you need the nav version.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-22-2018, 01:25 PM

Garage
I have the NAV version and I love it, the tech in this Jeep was one of the main reasons I bought it.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 PM

The one point I will throw out there as a 8.4 non-nav owner.

Back in my Ford Fusion Ti ('13) I eschewed Nav because well I knew better. I'll just use my phone. After getting a Focus ST '15 with Nav I learned how terrible my choice on the Fusion was. I had nothing on screen and had to use my cellphone for music if I wanted to listen to anything besides the instructions. Nav on my Focus was so much better. Easier searches, big screen representation of where I was going and even had arrows in the dash just in case I swapped the sync screen to something else. I could still listen to Sirius or the radio while being nav'd.

Fast forward to my Compass. Glad I didn't pay for Nav even though I liked having it so much on the Focus. Having Android Auto on it takes care of all of my issues with "phone" based nav in the past. I can still listen to XM. I still get on screen nav. But now that I can run Waze I get even more information

Nav when you have Android Auto or Carplay seems absolutely pointless.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post

Yeah it's not just jeep it's all the car makers. My wife's new sienna is the same problem. It has a touchscreen buggy radio that's supposed to have all these functions but we just want the thing to play radio stations.

i get it-> kids these days LOVE their cellphones they spend all day with their faces in them and most states have laws against using em while driving. To relieve this possible withdrawl symptoms the companies are pushing these touch screens and they're just an Achilles's heel for all new vehicles.

I don't need to have a radio with an "operating system" or that needs "updates"....the stations don't change frequency that often...no update required.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2018, 05:39 PM

Fat chance of that ever happening since I believe it is now law in the states that all new cars as of model year 18 or 19 (cant remember which) are required to have back-up cameras. They are not going to let that color screen go to waste.

2017.5 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
Diamond Black
Cold Weather Group
Navigation Group
Popular Equipment Group
Power Liftgate
Beats Audio
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durmant View Post
Fat chance of that ever happening since I believe it is now law in the states that all new cars as of model year 18 or 19 (cant remember which) are required to have back-up cameras. They are not going to let that color screen go to waste.
I heard that too. They seem distracting. Instead of watching behind people are facing forward. What is the legality if you hit something while backing while you're looking at the screen?

I believe you need to have it covered if you are taking a driving exam (for the parking spot). So I don't know if the gov't has figured out if it is something that should be used yet or not.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in