Disable Power Tailgate - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 02-14-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Disable Power Tailgate

I have a need to have my tailgate open partially and with the power lift feature, it can only be fully closed or fully open. Is there a way to disable the power lift feature temporarily?

Thanks for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirklandCompass View Post
I have a need to have my tailgate open partially and with the power lift feature, it can only be fully closed or fully open. Is there a way to disable the power lift feature temporarily?

Thanks for any responses.
From the manual: • If the electronic liftgate release handle is pushed with the power liftgate is opening, the liftgate motor will disen- gage to allow manual operation.
• If the electronic liftgate release handle is pushed while the power liftgate is closing, the liftgate will reverse to the full open position.

(I believe the “release handle” is covered on the rear side panel or are they suggesting the ouside (normal) lever? (No pic in my digital manual)

WARNING:

• Driving with the liftgate open can allow poisonous exhaust gases into your vehicle. You and your pas- sengers could be injured by these fumes. Keep the liftgate closed when you are operating the vehicle.
• If you are required to drive with the liftgate open, make sure that all windows are closed, and the climate control blower switch is set at high speed. Do not use the recirculation mode.

Last edited by Reagan39; 02-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM

Yes, after you press to open it via the outside handle, press the handle again. This cancels it and allows you to manually open it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-14-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you both very much for pointing me in the right direction. I tested your suggestions and it worked using the outside (normal) lever of the tailgate. And to clarify, I have an over sized ski storage box on the roof of my car which blocks fully opening the tailgate, but still needed access to the rear compartment. So I won't be driving with the liftgate open so the poisonous gas warning does not apply.

This is my first post on the forum and I really appreciate your assistance!
post #5 of 7 Old 11-11-2019, 06:41 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
What do you do to revert it BACK again to a power liftgate?

Somehow I inadvertently disengaged mine
post #6 of 7 Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 PM

I took the instructions as quoted from the manual to imply that pressing the handle/button once while opening was a one time manual override, and that it would go back to normal operation after that one event.

If yours is not working I would be guessing its straight up broken?
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 06:35 PM

Garage
Just be careful not to use the power button to close it, as the button will send the tailgate back up. You have to pull it close with your hands. I keep making that mistake and the tailgate ends up bumping against my garage door. Luckily the husband installed foam "bumpers" on our garage door so we don't damage the paint. I ordered my Compass without the power lift-gate so I don't have that problem - only an issue with the husband's Trailhawk, so I don't deal with it often. I'm not very adept at disabling the power-lift-gate. LOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in