3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris Jacobs
  • 1 Post By Jason Gillis
  • 1 Post By Chris Jacobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 02-20-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Another darn newbie

Hello to all.

As tittle says I'm a newbie been reading the forum here for a while and noticed a few new members recently so figured what the heck time to join the party.

I posted in introductions that wife and I where looking at buying either a new Subaru forester or Jeep Compass in a manual transmission. Well I think we have decided on a Compass with the automatic go figure. In reading as much info as I can on here lots of great info! I saw Mudman1's post on the manual being geared a bit tall for much offroad. I ran the numbers in a crawl calculator and sure enough if you need to drive slow over rough stuff or pull a hill from a stop it could be done but a lot of clutch slipping would be required. The Subaru would be even worse so thank you Mudman1 for that info it really helped.

One thing we were looking at is cost to replace/rebuild an automatic after warranty. Then we found out we can get a lifetime warranty and not have to worry about it. I don't want anything to do with Subaru's CVT and their longest warranty only goes to around 120k. Also the Jeep seems better for the mild off roading we do so jeep wins!

Test drove a Compass with the auto and it was not what I expected from many reviews I read. It was smooth with just a little bit of lag when asked to kick down. Power to be was plenty adequate taking into consideration this is an eco 4wd suv that has some decent capability still left in it. It drove straight wheel was a little light brakes a little tight but not bad at all to me.

I was wondering though does the trans start getting a bit nutty and steering start to wander after they get broken in or if you get one that is good will be good to go?

I am a little concerned about MPG reports here going as low as like 14mpg. This blows my mind we have a 04 4x4 Suburban and right now it is getting around 13 mostly low speed driving 35-45 MPH and 15.5 all interstate 65-80 MPH. It has enough engine,interior and steel to build 2 Compasses. lol
Are these low MPG a product of lots of idling,heavy foots,computer error or something mechanical? I know from reading it is not the norm as I also see posted MPG to be what one would expect from the advertised MPG. The one I test drove had like 83-18 miles on the OD and was showing like 19.6 MPG and that i'm betting is a lot of idling and bit of city test driving. Not enough mileage to really know for certain I know.

I was worried about the 8.4 uconnect issues I saw posted here and where JeepCares said they have sent out the software did this work to fix them? The one I drove was fine but being new betting it was not registered yet it did not get the buggy software update that scrambled these things up.

One last thing I know there are a few on here that have had issues bad enough that they are talking about lemon laws. But it seems most of you are happy how many regret getting their Gen 2 Compass or wish they had bought something else?

Thanks you all.

Chris
Mudman1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2018, 01:45 AM

Mine was lemon law replaced with another of the same car, no regrets. All cars have problems, Jeep has sold at least 40,000 of these cars already and forum's are where people go when they have a problem so you will not get a true representation of reliability from a forum even if every one of us was complaining about an issue.

I get about 23 city and 31 hwy in my 6 spd manual.
jdmich3 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2018, 02:34 AM

Welcome to the club... My wife has a forrester and I have the compass. They seem to be almost the same and time will tell about reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jason, Very true all cars new and old have the potential to be a lemon. Last new car we bought was a Honda CRV and it was in the shop for 2 weeks with only like 10k on the clock. Researching Subaru they have had their issues as well and I feel like it is about the same mix of good and bad as we see with the Jeep Compass. Your so right about internet amplification when someone has an issue with X vehicle they hit the internet in frustration but if all is well they tend to be quite.

That why when I read (Mudman's 8,003 Miles) post where his has been trouble free and many others posted theirs have been trouble free as well I kind of smiled as no one hardly does this.I am thrilled to see that Jeep has a presence here with JeepCares that means a lot and help but mind to ease knowing Jeep actually does care that someone might be having issues with their Jeep.

We kind of want to buy the one we test drove but I need a trailer hitch for our bike rack and it does not have it. I asked the sevice department about installing one and it was like $600 for just the hitch and install. Then later if I wanted it wired up it is like $200-300 just for the wiring and who knows how much for the install as it is very involved. Plus it had Nav which we would never use. Going tomorrow to look at a few others with tow package on them as that is much cheaper to do that way.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the uconnect with Nav and the 8.4 without nav other than the navigation?

Nice to see those MPGs within what they should be!
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks jdmich3.

This has been one of our hardest buying decisions ever for us.

The Subaru Forester has a really great reputation and holds value better. Their AWD systems are among the best on the planet. Sadly they keep the oldest tech AWD system behind the manual transmission with the simple viscous coupling. Which will do a great job on the road and for just blazing down dirt/gravel roads and such. Mean time their CVT gets X-mode which is the closest thing to the Jeep's Selec Terrain you can get in thes little SUVs. But still no substitute for being able to lock in the 4wd. We like going out and exploring mostly on forestry roads that often are fairly rough with some ares being fairly steep. Also going out hiking and such we find the access roads to be on the rough side often. My wife is a teacher and sometimes has to drive in snow/ice and slush in the dark early morning hours the Jeep seems to me will be great for that the Subaru might have held a bit of an edge there maybe.

Then 2019 brings the next generation of the Forester which I understand will be a major change. So the 2018 will take a bit of a hit to it's value.

The Jeep Compass also looks better to me inside and out with more creature comforts. The Compass just underwent a major beautiful overhaul so it should stay fresh for a few years now. Then there's the extended warranty Subaru only goes out to like 120k where Jeep has the lifetime warranty and from what I read they stand behind it. So slowly over the course of a month we actually went from favoring the Subaru to being pretty certain we want the Compass. Now keeping fingers crossed we get a good one!
post #6 of 9 Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 PM

Garage
I think it would be worth taking a test drive with the stick. I don't do a lot of off roading but have had it out a few times on some seasonal roads in the hills that were in rough shape. I haven't had issues getting off the clutch on inclines either. I don't think I'd take the compass anywhere that required a lot of time in low range. If nothing else, the power will limit the types of off road situations you'll want to tackle. That being said I would have jumped on a low range option with the manual (you know, for times when I choose to do something stupid).

Also I have the 7" Uconnect system and the latest firmware update helped clear up most of the minor issues. Android auto and Apple carplay both work reasonably well for nav and I typically use amazon music for tunes. For me I don't think the extra 1.4" would make much difference (although my wife might disagree).

Don't forget if you can't find what you want on the lot you can always order one. On the rare occasions I buy new, I order my vehicles so I don't have to compromise on options. Also I ldo prefer manual transmissions which are almost non existent in my area.

My dealer also provides a lifetime powertrain warranty if they do the oil changes/maintenance. I can still do brakes and consumables myself. Thats what sold me on giving the new redesign a go, especially as I typically will run a vehicle past 200,000. Good luck...I'm pushing past 9k miles on mine and am happy so far.

2018 Compass Latitude 4x4 6sp - Pref group, Cold Weather, Tow pkg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply BigBlock.

What I did was run the numbers axle ratio,transmission 1st gear, tire diameter those numbers give the RPM at crawl speeds. It looks like much under 4MPH will be in the stall zone with the little torque these engines have at 700 or less RPM. Then add in a low rotational mass and you find needing to slip the especially up a rough climb.

Many of the places we wheel are little maintained forestry roads that get pretty rough snaking up onto mountains. One example is a short off branch on one of these forestry road that goes to a knob on top of a 4000ft mountain with a helicopter pad. It is really nice up there as someone it still keeping the trees and stuff cleared with really nice views. When I first discovered this road and double checked that it was a open road for use it was really rough lots of washed out,ruts and rocks ranging from a couple of inches to the size of a person's head sticking up out the road the grade transitions to around 30*-35* maybe a bit more. Running my stock 2003 2.0 4x4 auto Tracker up that I found it was best to use low range I could do it in high but prefered low. Does better now with a little lift and little bit larger more aggressive tire.

Two years ago they installed a cell tower up there and they graveled the road for their equipment so it is not as bad right now except for spinning in the gravel. The the ruts and rocks are quickly returning with every heavy rain. We have Ford ranger v-6 4x4 on 31s with like a 3.20 gearing. If we keep moving we can go up slowly but if we stop it is difficult to get going again so we use low on it as well again just works better. Our Suburban 4x4 has zero issues in 2wd thanks to lots of torque even at idle 3.73 gears and a working govlock.

The Compass with the automatic with its low 1st gear and brake lock diffs I think will really shine here. I know the brake lock diff is not like a true locker but being on all the wheels it is going to have more capability than open diffs without them. I have seen many videos showing what this combo can accomplish and I'm going to be under that threshold as this will be my wifes daily driver for at least a few year then I might take it over as a toy after she is ready for something new.

Another high point for the auto is no clutch to change and under the lifetime warranty as long as we don't abuse it they will cover it. One of the reasons for looking at the 6 speed other than the fun they are to drive was because it is cheaper to replace a clutch than rebuild/replace the auto. A couple of year ago we had to rebuild the trans on the Suburban and it cost near 4k with hardened parts I had put in it. That hurt given the truck had over 200k on it. If the Compass did not have that lifetime warranty available I would still be looking at the stick and living with it's limitations.

Yes being able to work on the Jeep with wear items was part of why we decided on the Compass. The headlight bulbs might be a bear unless someone finds a good work around from reading on here. But ever look at the spark plugs on a Subaru?

Good to see at 9k your still happy!

Thanks again for your input.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
Hello to all.

As tittle says I'm a newbie been reading the forum here for a while and noticed a few new members recently so figured what the heck time to join the party.

I posted in introductions that wife and I where looking at buying either a new Subaru forester or Jeep Compass in a manual transmission. Well I think we have decided on a Compass with the automatic go figure. In reading as much info as I can on here lots of great info! I saw Mudman1's post on the manual being geared a bit tall for much offroad. I ran the numbers in a crawl calculator and sure enough if you need to drive slow over rough stuff or pull a hill from a stop it could be done but a lot of clutch slipping would be required. The Subaru would be even worse so thank you Mudman1 for that info it really helped.

One thing we were looking at is cost to replace/rebuild an automatic after warranty. Then we found out we can get a lifetime warranty and not have to worry about it. I don't want anything to do with Subaru's CVT and their longest warranty only goes to around 120k. Also the Jeep seems better for the mild off roading we do so jeep wins!

Test drove a Compass with the auto and it was not what I expected from many reviews I read. It was smooth with just a little bit of lag when asked to kick down. Power to be was plenty adequate taking into consideration this is an eco 4wd suv that has some decent capability still left in it. It drove straight wheel was a little light brakes a little tight but not bad at all to me.

I was wondering though does the trans start getting a bit nutty and steering start to wander after they get broken in or if you get one that is good will be good to go?

I am a little concerned about MPG reports here going as low as like 14mpg. This blows my mind we have a 04 4x4 Suburban and right now it is getting around 13 mostly low speed driving 35-45 MPH and 15.5 all interstate 65-80 MPH. It has enough engine,interior and steel to build 2 Compasses. lol
Are these low MPG a product of lots of idling,heavy foots,computer error or something mechanical? I know from reading it is not the norm as I also see posted MPG to be what one would expect from the advertised MPG. The one I test drove had like 83-18 miles on the OD and was showing like 19.6 MPG and that i'm betting is a lot of idling and bit of city test driving. Not enough mileage to really know for certain I know.

I was worried about the 8.4 uconnect issues I saw posted here and where JeepCares said they have sent out the software did this work to fix them? The one I drove was fine but being new betting it was not registered yet it did not get the buggy software update that scrambled these things up.

One last thing I know there are a few on here that have had issues bad enough that they are talking about lemon laws. But it seems most of you are happy how many regret getting their Gen 2 Compass or wish they had bought something else?

Thanks you all.

Chris
I was driving around lots today after work (had training in a different city). I've got the itch to dump the Compass for something I can go back into the woods with. You should buy mine. No bugs, no kinks, skid plates installed, Toyo tires, and AMSOIL in the engine. Already broken in for ya too!

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-22-2018, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Mudman1, Oh nooo your post have been so helpful here! But I understand wanting something of a more hardcore wheeler. My Tracker does a good job but I'm thinking once we get the Compass and hopefully know it can live outside of the dealers shop I may sell our Suburban and get an older wrangler I can build up so I can get a bit more crazy off-road. Sadly we are looking to buy a brand new Compass and an automatic at this point. But thanks for the offer. You have built up a pretty respectable Compass there and I will be doing some similar things like skid plates for sure. I keep hoping the aftermarket will embrace these little Jeeps and offer up parts to help protect them and such. Rocky Road has skids and a front guard with winch mount for the older Compass no reason to think they will not get caught up with the much better 2nd gen.

Do you think you will end up missing your Compass at some point. I sold my XJ that was built up a few year ago and miss it. But then I sold off a lot of things when we lived in the flat south I wish I still had because here we have all kinds places to get off-road where in the flat land I was restricted mainly to places where I had the land owners permission. The ones I miss the most are my Samurai on 35s my old Scout stock with front and rear lockers powered by a school bus engine and my XJ on 35s. But I have yet to build up a "real" Jeep Jeep. Figure I best do it before the price of gas goes up to the point one can't afford to drive them. Hmmm maybe I should build an electric powered Jeep. lol
Mudman1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in