• 1 Post By Lilmissbeach15
  • 1 Post By eboogz
  • 1 Post By Sodner
  • 1 Post By Wolfy
  • 1 Post By Thomas Kerr

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 02-24-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Oh boy what have I gotten myself into!

Brought home a 2018 Spitfire Orange jeep Compass trailhawk with Leather,Nav, dual pane sunroof and power liftgate Thursday night! Needed the towing package for bike rack got the dealer to include installing a jeep factory hitch and wiring. After getting a price from the sevice department of almost $600 just to get the hitch installed I was going to look at one an hour away with hitch but no Nav they tossed that in in hopes of me buying theirs. It worked because I really liked this one.

Put a few miles in over the last couple of days the more we drive it the more we love it! It tracks straight at all speeds over all kinds of road conditions. It is not a race car for sure but we have found it to have enough power to be fine getting onto the interstate and what not. So far MPG has been showing 22 MPG in combined driving consisting of mostly around town. Given we are still on winter blend fuel I'm good with that. I think once it breaks in and summer blend gas returns with a little more highway time will yield close or on the rated 25 combined.

The only complaints we have is that we wish we could switch start/stop off and have it stay off till turned back on. Heck even the ability to set stop time before it turns off would have been nice. More than a few times it has shut off at 4 way stop signs then have to start right back up a second later as we pull up with traffic. I wonder if something like this could be added with a software update?

Next up the brakes are a tad touchy it takes a bit to get dialed back into them after driving our other vehicles. Once dialed back in though they are fine it is just the transition that sucks.

I did check for the dash dimmer issue and this one is good there. Also used the uconnect for a bit playing around with it to make sure it did not bug out on me. Funny though is that my back up camera screen brightness is ok for me being just maybe a tad bright but certainly not blinding.

Now I need to look and see if I can change my user name here as now I know I'm here to stay I need something cooler than my name!

I thank everyone here your post help make me a better informed buyer!
zoner99, Mudman1 and Gregors like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-25-2018, 03:20 AM

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying you e Jeep so far.

That start/stop feature is annoying. It is way too sensitive and shuts the car the second I stop. Its going to get somebody killed one day because of the delay in starting back up. I always shut mine off.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-25-2018, 06:45 AM

Garage
Congrats on your new Compass! Glad you already can enjoy it. As for myself I'm waiting for mine to be delivered.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 PM

Congrats on the new Trailhawk. Good choice on color, though I'm partial the Spitfire, obviously. Sounds like we got the same MP, though I did have the hitch factory installed thankfully. Took a while to find a Trailhawk with exactly what I wanted, but the patience paid off.

Giving it a go on the Outer Banks this weekend. So far, so good... first extended road trip, and some mild off-roading (still new and being cautious); and better than expected MPG on the way out here.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've been enjoying mine.
Chris Jacobs likes this.

Gene
2018 Trailhawk - Spitfire Orange
Safety & Lights, Beats, Cold Weather, Sunroof, Nav, Tow
post #5 of 14 Old 02-25-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

dannydeez, Yeah I'm certainly no fan of the start stop again if they would have simply let you set the delay on how quickly it activates once your stopped that would have made a huge difference. I just have to get into the habit of turning mine off just about every time I get in the car. If I had to pick my biggest complaint about our Jeep this would be it!

Germaneon, Yes we are really enjoying ours hopes yours gets to you soon so you can start to enjoy how fun these are to even just drive around in. I can't wait for our forestry roads to reopen for the season so we can play around with some off roading!

DurmGene, I wanted the Spitfire orange as soon as I saw it. This little jeeps really gets some attention around here right now as it is the only one I have seen. Heck it is one of a few Trailhawks around here I know there is at least one gray Trailhawk around because our salesman sold it right before we got ours.

It was a bit crazy getting what we wanted but it worked out. The dealership 5 miles away had this one that we really wanted but price to install hitch and wiring was crazy!

Another dealer told us they would bring in cars from anywhere in the us acted like it was nothing. They found what we wanted and even beat the price on the one we bought then turned around and told us transport cost would be $1500 which then was over by enough to get the one 5 miles from home and just pay to have hitch installed. Then we found one with a tow package but no Nav a little ways away. After telling my salesman that we were going to look at that one he went to the manager and told them our only issue with this one was not having a hitch they already gave us a good price on it. Next thing I knew I get a call and was told they will get the factory hitch installed if we were ready to buy. So it all worked out in the end the hitch and wiring is being ordered they will call to install when it comes in.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 AM

Hi Chris! Congrats on your purchase. At first the start/stop feature was bearable but like you I now think itís annoying and they should make some changes and let you fully turn it off until you decide to turn it back on. Itís now become second nature for me to hit the off button after turning on the car.

I guess I wasnít the only one that the dealer had to search for the specific Compass with certain upgrates. I live in CA, my Compass was delivered from NV. They originally sold me one from LA but upon arrival they found frontal damage and apparently couldnít sell me the car. For 2 weeks they gave me the run around and then after deciding to pull out of contract they ďfoundĒ one with all the features plus Beats Audio so I agreed to purchase it if they could match the one I originally wanted. Our dealer made it sound like I had to pay out of pocket for the transportation fees. No thatís BS. If they wanted my buisness they should do all they can to make it happen. So we waited another 2 weeks for this one to arrive. And to this day I am still having on going issues with this specific location and their workers. I tried being nice but that got me no where. I tip my hat to you, they should add the hitch since that was a selling point for the other vehicle.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Glad youre liking the vehicle so far!

I originally didnt like the Start Stop feature but Ive realized that at least in my area, where Im familiar, if I stop at a light and it shuts off, about 3-5 seconds before my light changes back to green I lightly ease up on the brake and the car starts up again and then I go.

No problem with the jerking or whatever. It's definitely helping me with gas mileage. I was getting 17-19mpg without it on, and since having it on ive been getting around 22mpg.
Chris Jacobs likes this.

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
post #8 of 14 Old 02-27-2018, 08:55 PM

Congrats from another Spitfire Orange Trailhawk owner. My Partner and I love ours and have driven it to NYC and back from Akron OH right after the new year. Other than some cold weather glitching in the electronics, ours has been solid so far. Believe it or not, we were originally looking at a Ford Transit Connect wagon when we stumbled across the Trailhawk. We snapped up the Compass after a test drive and have zero regrets. You'll find that the 9 speed auto is really only a 7 speed in day to day driving. 1st is reserved for mashing the pedal fully to the floor, and 9th is only seen if you are driving north of 80 MPH.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboogz View Post
Glad youre liking the vehicle so far!

I originally didnt like the Start Stop feature but Ive realized that at least in my area, where Im familiar, if I stop at a light and it shuts off, about 3-5 seconds before my light changes back to green I lightly ease up on the brake and the car starts up again and then I go.

No problem with the jerking or whatever. It's definitely helping me with gas mileage. I was getting 17-19mpg without it on, and since having it on ive been getting around 22mpg.

Yep loving it every day.

I'm just no fan of the start/stop it has been smooth but sometimes kicking in too much for me in just trying to get through a heavy traffic stop sign. The only time it really jitters/jerks any is times it is just starting to shut off and I release the brake to move up a bit.

Ours was showing like 19 MPG when I took it on the test drive. I reset both trip odometers like the next day and it was showing 21-22 rocking back and forth mostly city driving and little highway use. We filled it up yesterday calculated the MPG and it came up 17.8 MPG figure it was idling a lot at the dealership before we got it then some while they did the delivery showing us how to use everything. Then again that night and the next day while we were in the driveway setting things up to keep the battery charged and the heat running.

I turn off start/stop when I start it if not then the 1st time it kicks in if I forget. My wife leaves it on but she only has like 2 stop signs on her way to work with light to no traffic so it really does not kick in on her. So far this tank still showing 21-22 with little idle time other than a few minutes this morning as it was cold so wife used the remote start. We will see how that compares to next fill up. So very happy with the mpg so far. Going to get one of my daughters weekend after next that will be around 4 hours mostly interstate so we will see how it does then.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-27-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Congrats from another Spitfire Orange Trailhawk owner. My Partner and I love ours and have driven it to NYC and back from Akron OH right after the new year. Other than some cold weather glitching in the electronics, ours has been solid so far. Believe it or not, we were originally looking at a Ford Transit Connect wagon when we stumbled across the Trailhawk. We snapped up the Compass after a test drive and have zero regrets. You'll find that the 9 speed auto is really only a 7 speed in day to day driving. 1st is reserved for mashing the pedal fully to the floor, and 9th is only seen if you are driving north of 80 MPH.

We love the Spitfire Orange next choice would have been the red it is nice as well. Yes I did my homework on the 9 speed and saw the 2nd gear start in auto mode and the steep 9th gear. Even watched the video on why the 9 speed shifts the way it does very interesting transmission. We were out driving the other day and around 60 something I bumped the shifter to manual mode to see what gear it was in and it was in 8th. I read about the other trims kicking in 9th around 80 MPH. I was hoping with the trailhawks 4.33 axle gears our Trailhawks would bring in 9th a little earlier than 80+ MPH but I guess not but that's fine as long as it is not screaming high in RPM.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Your post title had me worried this was another post about problems with the Compass. Nice to see your biggest complaint is the start/stop. I'm used to turning it off immediately after starting when I disengage the parking brake. Its just tap, tap and I'm ready to go.

Enjoy your new Compass! So far except for one infotainment system burp, I'm really loving mine.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
We love the Spitfire Orange next choice would have been the red it is nice as well. Yes I did my homework on the 9 speed and saw the 2nd gear start in auto mode and the steep 9th gear. Even watched the video on why the 9 speed shifts the way it does very interesting transmission. We were out driving the other day and around 60 something I bumped the shifter to manual mode to see what gear it was in and it was in 8th. I read about the other trims kicking in 9th around 80 MPH. I was hoping with the trailhawks 4.33 axle gears our Trailhawks would bring in 9th a little earlier than 80+ MPH but I guess not but that's fine as long as it is not screaming high in RPM.
Nah, they rev pretty low on the highway. You have to be north of 70 MPH before the engine goes over 2,000 RPM. I've manually shifted it to 9th, and it immediately begins to lug.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-01-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodner View Post
Your post title had me worried this was another post about problems with the Compass. Nice to see your biggest complaint is the start/stop. I'm used to turning it off immediately after starting when I disengage the parking brake. Its just tap, tap and I'm ready to go.

Enjoy your new Compass! So far except for one infotainment system burp, I'm really loving mine.

Oh no a week in and 320 miles we have had no issues at all! We are loving this little Jeep and know we picked the right vehicle for us. Was at dealership today our hitch and wiring will be in Saturday and hopefully installed Monday.

My title was because we were looking at either a Subaru Forester or a Jeep Compass Latitude both with the 6 speed manual. This little Spitfire Trailhawk grabbed us instead so it came home with us! Given the fact we do hit forestry roads often and have driven in 5-8 inches of snow more than a few times before I feel the Trailhawk is really going to work out great for us. We were a little worried about the low front fascia on non-trailhawk trims the Trailhawk eliminates that bit of worry.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-02-2018, 11:27 PM

Garage
Chris- having very similar results with mine. We were looking at a Subaru Crosstrek when we found our Trailhawk at the dealer for a shade more. The panoramic sunroof and LOADED features nailed it for us. Discounted 6k due to being "last year's" model. Now have around 1k and it has been a blast.
Chris Jacobs likes this.

2017 Compass Trailhawk in White, 1.5" Tera Flex lift kit, 225/65/17 BFG KO2s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in