Android Auto - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By joninpa
  • 1 Post By eboogz
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
Android Auto

Hey guys,

I have a 2018 Compass Latitude and reading through the forums I noticed people mentioning using android auto on their uconnect. I downloaded the app and hooked up to the car via USB and turned on the app but i cant figure out how to get it to cast to the uconnect screen. it seems to just stay on my phone screen.

is the 2018 compatible, and if so am i doing something wrong?

Thanks!
eboogz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
never got it to work. plugged in my wife's phone and the app is supposed to install on uconnect. never saw anything "install" on uconnect.

I called Jeep and they were no help. I only assume that it's tech that's not ready for primetime.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Germaneon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dresden, Germany
Posts: 101
 
Garage
Did you use the original USB-cable that came along with your phone?
They claim it might not work with aftermarket cables.
Germaneon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Redmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 166
 
Same thing happened to me. I hate now that every time I go somewhere my phone wants me to add photos and write a review of the place. It also wants to show me a map of the mall where I walk when I am off of work. I finally removed the app from my phone. I am glad Jeep charged me for something that doesn't work.

Perhaps Jeep should have done more R&D on this?

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
Redmaxx is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
@Germaneon: No, my USB cable broke so it is in fact, not the original. however when i bought it, it did say it was an OEM, and it functions as my original did. but if thats the cause then i gotta say that FCA didnt think that through enough.

@Redmaxx: The Android Auto app wants you to write reviews of places you travelled? Isnt that an android issue and not a jeep issue? Google made the app, and also, you were charged for the app?
eboogz is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 656
 
You guys are overreacting because you are frustrated that the technology is getting the best of you. Thats ok, go ahead and vent. Then when you calm down, give it another go. Its a little messy because the android auto app by itself is built so it can be used both ways, either on the phone screen itself or on a compatible car screen. You might need to go into the settings in the android app and go into the "connected cars" section, you have to "Accept" each screen for each car you own separately due to security concerns. Otherwise someone could steal your phone and it may have a password but they would just plug it into any old android auto radio and start doing stuff on it. So enable the option to allow automatic setup when you connect a new car, and then go through the steps to "Accept" your compass as an authorized car that will be allowed to circumvent some of the phone's security in trade for the convenience features it offers.

Do not set up autolaunch for bluetooth, that option is for cars with bluetooth but no screen/AA.

Also double check the Uconnect radio settings and make sure you have not disabled android auto or any options that allow the automatic launch of AA/CP when a compatible device is connected.

As far as the cables go they don't have to be original but they DO need to be data cables. USB has wires to both carry power to charge a device and *sometimes* data wires for... you guessed it, data. If you are using a cable with only charge wires and no data lines then obviously its not going to work, but this is really unlikely (almost nobody makes charge-only cables anymore, but if you buy your cables for a buck at a dollar store then all bets are off).

Once you get it set up it will work just fine, it just takes a little doing and they couldn't put a solid guide in the user manual (which you probably didn't try to read anyways) because android is always updating and changing so even if they put step by step instructions in the book it would likely change as android evolves.
Nigthcast and Thomas Kerr like this.
arudlang is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 65
 
If it doesn't auto swap over to Android Auto, the Phone for dialing icon will change to what looks like two arrows super imposed over each other (For AA with out the lines in the middle).

Very little work should be done on the car. Most of the effort is done on the phone to get the two working together. All you should do on the car once it ready is like I said switch to that AA app (what the phone icon swaps to) once the phone is ready if it doesn't switch automatically.

Side comment though what versions of the stereo are you running for the people having issues. I know for a fact it is on both 8.4 versions, but I have seen it suggested that it might not be on the 7 inch models.

Also like arudlang said don't use charging cables. You have to use data cables (which all of them can charge as well).
Topweasel is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
I have the 8.4" uconnect. It is a data/charge cable as well.

I didnt know that I may need to go into the uconnect settings so i will try that, first. when i did plug it in the phone icon on my uconnect did not change.

i will report back following my second attempt, thanks!

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
eboogz is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
sorry for the double post. i just tried it. turned car on obviously, plugged USB in, plugged my phone in, my phone reacts to that process by turning on AA on my phone. Nothing on the uconnect. nothing in the car settings that i see that focuses on the AA.

The settings on the app I have "automatically setup new car when plugged in" does nothing as my accepted cars says "none" and so does the rejected cars.

The phone icon on my uconnect when I click it asks me to turn on bluetooth to pair it. the first time I did and that just let me do my typical bluetooth stuff, second attempt i did not pair it, and i got nothing again...

not sure what im doing wrong at this point, lol

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
eboogz is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 141
 
I have this set up on my Compass, and love it. It's awesome to be able to look up stuff at home, push to the phone and then sync it to the vehicle. When they deem the NAV out of date, I'll just blow FCA off and use the phone exclusively. One thing that I DO have to do once in a while, is reboot the phone. It MUST be tethered to the vehicle or it will not broadcast to the screen. I would try rebooting the phone with it tethered to see if the two finally feel they are worthy to speak to each other and play nice. Beyond that, all you can do is look for another dealer if you have one of those dealers where the average I.Q. of the entire dealership is below 50.
Wolfy is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
when you say "tethered" you mean it needs to be plugged in on both ends, correct? If so, then thats exactly what i have been doing. i will plug it in and try rebooting the phone.

if that fails, then i will bring to my dealer along with the list of other issues i have currently and hope they can figure it out lolol

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
eboogz is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northeast Tennessee Tricities
Posts: 265
 
Ours is working fine even been using Waze and stuff. Just put the app on the phone then hit the blue arrow icon for on the Uconnect screen for Android Auto and away it goes. Maybe you have a compatibility issue with your phone?
Chris Jacobs is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 02-28-2018, 12:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 77
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboogz View Post
when you say "tethered" you mean it needs to be plugged in on both ends, correct? If so, then thats exactly what i have been doing. i will plug it in and try rebooting the phone.

if that fails, then i will bring to my dealer along with the list of other issues i have currently and hope they can figure it out lolol
Have you tried another cable? The head unit is dumb and this is all done on your phone. AA is very picky about cables. I get the shortest, highest quality cable you can find.

More information on cables can be found here:

https://productforums.google.com/for...m/android-auto
Jason Gillis is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 02-28-2018, 01:30 AM
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
You guys are overreacting because you are frustrated that the technology is getting the best of you. Thats ok, go ahead and vent. Then when you calm down, give it another go. Its a little messy because the android auto app by itself is built so it can be used both ways, either on the phone screen itself or on a compatible car screen. You might need to go into the settings in the android app and go into the "connected cars" section, you have to "Accept" each screen for each car you own separately due to security concerns. Otherwise someone could steal your phone and it may have a password but they would just plug it into any old android auto radio and start doing stuff on it. So enable the option to allow automatic setup when you connect a new car, and then go through the steps to "Accept" your compass as an authorized car that will be allowed to circumvent some of the phone's security in trade for the convenience features it offers.

Do not set up autolaunch for bluetooth, that option is for cars with bluetooth but no screen/AA.

Also double check the Uconnect radio settings and make sure you have not disabled android auto or any options that allow the automatic launch of AA/CP when a compatible device is connected.

As far as the cables go they don't have to be original but they DO need to be data cables. USB has wires to both carry power to charge a device and *sometimes* data wires for... you guessed it, data. If you are using a cable with only charge wires and no data lines then obviously its not going to work, but this is really unlikely (almost nobody makes charge-only cables anymore, but if you buy your cables for a buck at a dollar store then all bets are off).

Once you get it set up it will work just fine, it just takes a little doing and they couldn't put a solid guide in the user manual (which you probably didn't try to read anyways) because android is always updating and changing so even if they put step by step instructions in the book it would likely change as android evolves.
Condescending much? It's not our fault that garbage tech is garbage...
I figure it's not worth the effort since I don't own a smartphone and my wife is barely in the car with me. Was a novelty that I found *while reading the jeep manual* and said "heh that sounds neat I'll try that!"...psych!

Instead of wasting my time with your instructions I bought a randmcnally road atlas b/c I know that's not going to have updating/installation issues or demand I find another cable...

If you get it working : enjoy
if you can't get it working: you are not alone.
Redmaxx likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 02-28-2018, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
Ours is working fine even been using Waze and stuff. Just put the app on the phone then hit the blue arrow icon for on the Uconnect screen for Android Auto and away it goes. Maybe you have a compatibility issue with your phone?
My problem is that there is no AA blue arrow icon on my uconnect screen. Its definitely recognizing that im plugging into the car because a screen pops up on my phone basically asking if its ok that my car connects to send/receive data, etc. but nothing happens on my uconnect screen.

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
eboogz is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 02-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 65
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboogz View Post
My problem is that there is no AA blue arrow icon on my uconnect screen. Its definitely recognizing that im plugging into the car because a screen pops up on my phone basically asking if its ok that my car connects to send/receive data, etc. but nothing happens on my uconnect screen.
Are you unlocking the phone before accepting those prompts. You can't actually accept security authorizations from the notifications on the lock screen. Do you have the phone "app" with the BT and signal bars on your home row? If not make sure you do so you don't miss anything.

Also the more I read it seems like even though BT isn't the driving force behind AA. BT pairing your phone might be a requirement.

Here are some instructions.

How To Set Up Apple CarPlay or Android Auto - Ed Voyles Automotive
Topweasel is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 02-28-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
yeah its so weird. phone is unlocked. i tried with BT on and BT off. nothing.


*heavy sigh*

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
eboogz is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 02-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 14
 
Mine works except I can't adjust the dang volume, too loud grrr
eibyer is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 02-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4
 
Mine worked briefly then stopped after the 8.0 Android update, I fixed it by enabling the Android developer USB debug mode. I think they fixed it in 8.1
2018Ltd is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018Ltd View Post
Mine worked briefly then stopped after the 8.0 Android update, I fixed it by enabling the Android developer USB debug mode. I think they fixed it in 8.1
thats in the "about" phone screen in settings, correct?

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
eboogz is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 03-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 65
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
Mine works except I can't adjust the dang volume, too loud grrr
I had the problem that it was too quiet for a while. Figured out that I had audio section on the phone and change all of Bluetooth volume settings. It isn't using the standard volume settings.
Topweasel is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 03-01-2018, 04:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 65
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboogz View Post
thats in the "about" phone screen in settings, correct?
Yeah, System, About Phone and then scroll down to Android version.

At this point for you I would suggest trying another cable and also uninstalling android auto, restarting, reinstall and see if that restarts the prompts just in case you missed something important the first time and it didn't start back up again. Also if you are thinking of going to the dealer anyways, see if you can plug into another 8.4 on the lot and see if you get the same response.
Topweasel is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 03-02-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post
Yeah, System, About Phone and then scroll down to Android version.

At this point for you I would suggest trying another cable and also uninstalling android auto, restarting, reinstall and see if that restarts the prompts just in case you missed something important the first time and it didn't start back up again. Also if you are thinking of going to the dealer anyways, see if you can plug into another 8.4 on the lot and see if you get the same response.

I bought a new OEM cable from Amazon, uninstalled the app, reinstalled, restarted the phone, and now it works. Thanks!

All is right in the world, today.
Wolfy likes this.

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
eboogz is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 03-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post
I had the problem that it was too quiet for a while. Figured out that I had audio section on the phone and change all of Bluetooth volume settings. It isn't using the standard volume settings.
Thanks! Will give it a look again next time I drive it.
eibyer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome