MPG on 2017.5 - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thomas Kerr
  • 1 Post By Chris Jacobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down MPG on 2017.5

What is everyone getting for their MPG on the 2017.5 Trailhawk? I'm only getting 17 total and I'm pretty pissed - the sticker says 22-30 and with a 12 gallon tank I'm always at a gas station. I just drove 180 miles RT in cruise control at 70 MPH and only got 21. What recourse do we have with Jeep? When I took it to the dealer the service person basically said that it wasn't their issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-02-2018, 11:10 PM

Garage
I have been averaging 26mpg but I drive like a grampa and its mostly freeway. Cruise control plus 70mph is what is killing your mpg's. I drive around 60-62 mph and never use cruise
Chris Jacobs likes this.

2017 Compass Trailhawk in White, 1.5" Tera Flex lift kit, 225/65/17 BFG KO2s
post #3 of 3 Old 03-03-2018, 12:11 AM

Well first off how many miles are on your Compass because if your not through a good break in that can be part of the issue. Also are you using a cargo basket on the roof?

There are a few threads on MPG here I read through them all before buying our 2018 Trailhawk to better gauge what to expect. MPG is such a mixed deal with any vehicle as there are so many variables that affect MPG. A few are blend of fuel summer vs winter. Winter blends always drops MPG some. Fuel distributor has to be taken into account because of additive packages. We have found for example that Walmart gas always drops our MPG my guess is more addictive and less gas. lol How much idling your doing for warming up the inside. Driving habits play some of the largest roles in getting MPG. Terrain is another big factor as is traffic. There is just so much that goes into how many MPG one gets.

We are one day over a week and 300+ miles on our trailhawk. First fill up our Jeep showed 21-22. On paper we got 17 MPG. The biggest reason for the difference was I rest everything the day after we got it so that includes all the time at the dealership and lots of idling as we were setting everything up the night we got it to keep batteries charged and to run the heater.

On our second tank we are teeter tottering 21-22 on the computer. This is very little highway driving and my wifes commute to work and back is about the worse for getting decent MPG. She starts it up in the morning lets it warm up a bit. Drives about 1 mile at 45 MPH then the rest of the 8-10 minute drive is 30 MPH and a couple of stop signs. So before all the fluids reach a good operating temp and such it is being turned off drive home is reversed.

We have not made any decent trips yet on the interstate but soon we will be on the road for around 4 hours we will see what happens.

I can tell you any speed above 55 mph will but a dent in your MPG. This is simply science at work there is a reason the national MPH was set at 55 back in the day. This is the speed where any vehicle starts to build a large wall of air pressure ahead of it that it has to push thus reducing MPG. The faster the speed over that the more pressure your pushing and it adds up quickly. The more aerodynamic the vehicle the smaller amount of air it has to push but all will be affected at speeds above 55 MPH. These new Compass are pretty slick but far from a Honda Civic.

I offer you to try something to see if it helps. Set your cluster display to show instant MPG gauge to the big center and drive in a manor to keep those numbers as high as you can and in the green. This is what we have been doing and it helps get our driving habit programed to drive more efficiently. Coast to red lights,stop signs,and reduced speed limits all those times racking up 75-99 MPG coasting down will add up! Also when able try to aim for higher instant MPG when accelerating. Again all the time you spend at 2-4 MPG adds up against your favor. None of us can always do this it all depends on where your driving. For example trying to merge into interstate traffic is a time to not even look at the MPG or you might get run over. But after your in traffic you can start trimming out the skinny pedal.

Lastly keep up on that maintenance if you have a few miles built up check your air filter for sure and make sure you buy a good replacement. Many say that this does not really affect MPG because the computer will adapt to restricted airflow. However if the filter is restrictive it will hurt power and you will have to apply more throttle to get to speed which in turn hurts MPG.

If your still having an issue try to get the dealer to hook up their computer to it to see if anything is operating weakly but not so far off they have set a code. At that point they might fix anything they find knowing your not happy with your MPG and this part will likely set a code soon.

Best of luck I hope you get it sorted out these are nice little Jeeps and they seem to want to do what they can to make us happy! Oh did you sign up for the Jeep Wave program? If so we have special customer care line use it they might be able to help you get your dealer to look into your issue deeper!
Thomas Kerr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in