Trailhawk first trip offroad. - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mudman1
  • 1 Post By Wolfy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Trailhawk first trip offroad.

We had a very nice day here for a change so we headed out to hit some new forestry roads and a bit down a known road. I have to say I'm very impressed the ride quality was good. Even when we hit a hidden big hole on the back side of a hill there was a nice thud sound but it was not jarring on the inside and the little Jeep handled it well.

I did find one new road that was very washed out,deeply rutted and still a bit muddy. As we went up it just kept getting worse. I feel confident the Jeep would have done fine as it had not missed any steps getting to that point. However the safety side of my brain kicked in and being it was just my wife and myself I opted to wait till we would have more than one vehicle to take on that road any further. Unknown terrain coupled with not having really explored the capabilities of this Trailhawk and it's stock tires on a trail in the middle of nowhere just was not the best idea IMHO. I am very happy with how little space it takes to turn it around as well. Not quite as tight as my 2dr Tracker but certainly way better than our Suburban. lol

We also went on a very steep windy paved mountain road. As long as the gears stayed in 3rd or under it seemed to have plenty of power to climb. I was a bit worried as coolant temperature went from 196* to 230* but capped out there and that was just over half gauge on the needle. However transmission temp went as high as 176* Still just a bit over half gauge and I worry it might have kept going up had the road not leveled out. Jeep goes to the dealer shop tomorrow morning for hitch install so I'll ask them about that to see if they need to check something out.

We topped off the tank last night MPG gauge showed 21.4 MPG Hand calculated we got 21.5 so our MPG gauge seems to be right on the money and pretty much right on the EPA window sticker as this was almost all city type driving. Our adventering today shows us down to 21.1 not bad at all considering most of it was low speed with lots of stops and sometime with the 4x4 lock engaged.

I have to say my wife and I are extremely happy with our Compass Trailhawk and we are glad we chose it over the Subaru Forester or even the Compass Latitude. That bit of rough road we did travel on might have been an issue for the airdam on the latitude. Wife is so confident in this little Jeep she said she would have no issue taking it out wheeling with me and one of our other 4x4s so that is a big win right there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-05-2018, 02:09 AM

Temps were right where they should have been, based upon your description. Nothing to worry about.
Chris Jacobs likes this.

2017 New Compass Latitude 4x4 C635 6spd manual. Mineral Gray. Tow,
Cold Weather, Safety & Security, Popular Equipment, Beats Audio. Built June 2017.

Added: JW Speaker fog lights, Weathertech mats, Mopar flaps &
vent shades, Trailhawk front skid plates.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 AM

My Partner and I are looking forward to finding a place to explore the ability of our Trailhawk. We did do the ride thing at the Cleveland Auto Show where they had it doing the two wheel tippy thing, high camber and nearly vertical climb. It did well on all of it, but....... of course they knew it would and it was a controlled environment. Time will tell how quickly I get it stuck.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman1 View Post
Temps were right where they should have been, based upon your description. Nothing to worry about.
Yep talked to the tech today told me not to worry unless the warning light for the transmission turns on. Then just either pull over and leave it running till temp comes down. We also talked about why this happened seems to be the computer is trying to force higher gears to keep MPG up. Going into manual mode may keep the temps down. This is my first ride with a transmission temperature gauge that is why it bothered me a bit. My main fear was after another mile or so we would start to climb again and I was worried the temp would keep going up.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-06-2018, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
My Partner and I are looking forward to finding a place to explore the ability of our Trailhawk. We did do the ride thing at the Cleveland Auto Show where they had it doing the two wheel tippy thing, high camber and nearly vertical climb. It did well on all of it, but....... of course they knew it would and it was a controlled environment. Time will tell how quickly I get it stuck.

We certainly had fun hitting our local forestry roads. A part of me really wanted to take on that really rough road. We came close to lifting a wheel I think on the little bit of that road we went up as I had to cross some ruts to get the best line to drive up. I feel confident we could have kept going but I learned a hard lesson once about hard wheeling with another vehicle for co-support. I ended walking a few miles then worse yet calling my wife to bring me a Come-Along and some chain. I swear I thought I could drive around the edge of a mudhole and be ok. Next thing I knew my passenger headlight went under water and water was filling the floorboard. LOL

I would have loved to take one of these things on a obstacle course. I watched every video I could find on both these and the Subarus. It did not take much to see these Jeeps are far more capable off road een in the non-Trailhawk trims. Can't wait till some of our other favorite roads open for the season in a couple of weeks. They had to start locking them down in the winter after idiots would try to drive things like RVs up the steep narrow roads in 8" of snow. They get stuck in the middle of the road and just walk off and leave them there. So if there was an emergency or people were already higher on the mountain nobody can get around them till they find someone brave enough to drive a wrecker up to move them. That's ok though when they open back up we will be ready!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in