5Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris Jacobs
  • 2 Post By Germaneon
  • 1 Post By LaserJeep
  • 1 Post By dannydeez

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Heated wipers?

May be a stupid question to Jeep connoisseurs, but since this is my first, I don't feel bad... What is there to know about the heated windshield wipers?
Is there any way to make sure they're working (like do you have to have the rear defrost on, like for the side mirror defoggers), or is it just the defrost vents in the dash blowing at the base of the windshield? It's a 2018 Latitude 4x4 with the cold weather package, which is supposed to include the heated wipers.
Couldn't find info during a brief search in the owner's manual... Thank you all in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-04-2018, 09:03 PM

Garage
I believe it is referring to the heated strips like your rear window defroster.But I think there are some where the wipers rest

Wyntyrsfool
2018 Jeep Compass TrailHawk
Cold Weather Package
Leather Interior
8.4 Info non Nav
post #3 of 19 Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyntyrsfool View Post
I believe it is referring to the heated strips like your rear window defroster.But I think there are some where the wipers rest
That's what I had figured... But wanted to be sure there wasn't something I need to do to turn them on. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserJeep View Post
That's what I had figured... But wanted to be sure there wasn't something I need to do to turn them on. Thanks!!

Hi LaserJeep, I'm thinking that since the heated mirrors are tied into the rear window defroster the wiper defrosters may also turn on with the rear window defroster. I'm not 100% sure on that so take it for what it is worth.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-04-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi LaserJeep, I'm thinking that since the heated mirrors are tied into the rear window defroster the wiper defrosters may also turn on with the rear window defroster. I'm not 100% sure on that so take it for what it is worth.
Finally got off my butt, ran outside, and looked... No wires visible going to the wipers, so it MUST be something at the base of the windshield, hidden by the black decal border. Still baffled why it would be part of an option package, but not in the owner's manual.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-04-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Finally got off my butt, ran outside, and looked... No wires visible going to the wipers, so it MUST be something at the base of the windshield, hidden by the black decal border. Still baffled why it would be part of an option package, but not in the owner's manual.

I think on most trims you have to have either the cold weather package or the leather group. Mine has like 3-4 heat strips in the glass under the wiper blade. The blade itself is not heated. I'm glad we have this I have had to chisel my wiper blades off the windshield with our other vehicles not fun! lol
arudlang likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-04-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Chris Jacobs... I have the cold weather package, and I'm pretty sure they work (the second full day of ownership, we had quite a snowstorm while I was at work) but I'm not sure it was working all the time. A simple on/off switch would make it clear to me. Lol
post #8 of 19 Old 03-05-2018, 12:38 AM

Yeah I have been tinkering with ours we have week and a half of ownership under our belt. lol

I had to look ours over then in the manual to figure out the heated mirrors. That's when I found out they are linked to the rear window defroster. So I'm betting the wiper elements in the glass under the blades are tied into that as well. We have been playing with all kinds of settings like I said in another post I'm glad these things don't have ejector seats or I would have blown my butt out of it by now.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-05-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Lol... Ejector seats, I certainly would have launched myself through the roof by now. I've been messing with mine for 5 days (spending an odd hour here or there just sitting in it, playing with settings, plus reading the owner's manual quite a bit.) Figured I really need to learn this since my wife bought one the same day I got mine, and she's even worse with technology than me.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-05-2018, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Only reason I knew the heated mirrors were linked to the rear defroster was that my Chrysler I just traded in had the cold weather package, circa 2013. Lol
post #11 of 19 Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Garage
Your assumptions were right. According to owner's manual "The Windshield Wiper De-Icer (if equipped) shall be activated automatically when the Rear Defrost is turned on and when the ambient temperature is below 33 F (0.6 C)."
arudlang and Chris Jacobs like this.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-05-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:

You can only see the defrost lines on the passenger side under the wiper blade. And it is in the owners manual.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-05-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Holy smokes, yep!! Totally see the defroster under the passenger wiper now! Good to know they're linked to the rear defrost.
Thanks guys!!
I swear, at this point, I may as well read the owner's manual cover to cover. Lol
post #14 of 19 Old 03-06-2018, 03:06 AM

Works great with remote start when the temp is at freezing or below.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Holy smokes, yep!! Totally see the defroster under the passenger wiper now! Good to know they're linked to the rear defrost.
Thanks guys!!
I swear, at this point, I may as well read the owner's manual cover to cover. Lol

I looked in the manual yet somehow ended up overlooking I guess about the wiper defroster. I had read about the heated mirrors so it was logical to me that the wiper defrosters worked the same way. LOL
post #16 of 19 Old 03-06-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

At least I'm not the only one that didn't see it in the manual!! And from the weather forecast, they're gonna come in handy the next couple of days here.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys!!
Lol. As annoying as it is, I always read the manual front to back whenever I get a new vehicle (which in my case is every 2 years or so). You'd be surprised how much you can actually learn about your car.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Funny thing is, I DID read the MAJORITY of the manual, even looked in the index for anything to do with the wipers. Still somehow managed to miss it! I know my wife is technologically challenged, and since we each bought one, I'm gonna be explaining things to her. Lol
post #19 of 19 Old 03-17-2018, 03:40 AM

Garage
good for this mode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180316_1842510.jpg (59.6 KB, 19 views)

2017 Compass Trailhawk in White, 1.5" Tera Flex lift kit, 225/65/17 BFG KO2s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in