Rack and cargo basket on 2017.5 latitude - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Matt Esteve

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Rack and cargo basket on 2017.5 latitude

Thought I'd share. I had couple of Thule aeroblades sitting around unused from an old car, so bought new fit kit for the compass. Still gotta find the Thule podium dust caps for that finished look. Then put on a Rola cargo basket. Not perfect, but really pleased with quality for the price. Sunroof opens without hindrance, no added wind noise to speak of. SWEET!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180304_170349_1520212713769.jpg (48.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20180304_170429_1520212732687.jpg (56.0 KB, 100 views)
arudlang, 10-64 and Sean O'Dell like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 AM

Garage
How do you like the Rola basket? That was one I was thinking of putting on my Mopar (Thule) crossbars. I've read good reviews on it if you make some minor modifications (mainly to waterproof it). My main concern I guess would be weight and whether or not it affects MPGs and power (we all know the new Compass can't afford to give up any more of that).
Old 04-11-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

So far so good. Easy to install, but the ideal spacing is off since there's no for/aft adjustment possible in the cross bars. Still works just fine. I read about the waterproofing issues, and I'm in Seattle so think I can vouch. I put a tiny bead of silicon around the seam when building it and made sure the supplied rubber sleeves were in good position and so far no issues. Little extra wind noise, but nothing crazy. It's heavy, but lighter than a person so really no noticeable affect on power or mpg. Only knock I have is the sticker on the back is crap. Again I'm in Seattle... We don't see the sun very often and it's already completely bleached and pealing off. But it's a crap sticker, guess it's to be expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Esteve View Post
So far so good. Easy to install, but the ideal spacing is off since there's no for/aft adjustment possible in the cross bars. Still works just fine. I read about the waterproofing issues, and I'm in Seattle so think I can vouch. I put a tiny bead of silicon around the seam when building it and made sure the supplied rubber sleeves were in good position and so far no issues. Little extra wind noise, but nothing crazy. It's heavy, but lighter than a person so really no noticeable affect on power or mpg. Only knock I have is the sticker on the back is crap. Again I'm in Seattle... We don't see the sun very often and it's already completely bleached and pealing off. But it's a crap sticker, guess it's to be expected.
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get mine. Good advice about the silicon; similar advice as others I've heard...THANKS! Also, I listen to my music way too loud anyway so I'm not too concerned about a little extra "wind noise." Lol. Well thanks again!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:23 AM

Garage
So...I purchased the rack, put it together, went to put it on the Jeep/Mopar/Thule cross bars and because the cross bar mounting points are fixed and cannot be adjusted, I’m having trouble making it fit. The fixed spacing between my crossbars are off just enough to not align with the spacing between the lower bars on the basket, which won’t allow me to fit the mounting brackets. Did you have any issues with spacing?

ATP 2.0 Lift Kit
Mopar/Thule Aeroblade cross-bars
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform (Universal Large)
Tactilian Car Flag Magnets
4.5 in Nilight Spot Lights (round)
Old 06-12-2018, 01:26 AM

Garage
I’m dumb. I just re-read your previous post and saw that you DID have spacing issues. How did you get around this? Do you have any close-ups pics showing the crossbar mounting points?

ATP 2.0 Lift Kit
Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 AM

Garage
In the meantime, here is what it potentially will look like on top of my rig (just sitting on the crossbars; not mounted...yet).

Jeep Compass MP members...penny for your thoughts? I can’t decide if it sits TOO high bc the crossbars themselves sit pretty high. The other option I was looking into was the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Universal Large flat rack system. Way more $$ but oh so pretty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC4A7365-819B-4114-818E-AA5E10AE9CED_1528763622147.jpg (35.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 33E8E0A3-4CE1-43C5-BAB6-338F72CCB92E_1528763637101.jpg (32.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 13E603F4-3162-4742-BC58-D1791EDCBDFE_1528763651689.jpg (34.2 KB, 37 views)

ATP 2.0 Lift Kit
Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 PM

Hmmm, well it is up there a ways, but at least then you have reasonably good access to reach in under it to wash the roof off which is sorta nice. Thats always been my holdback on a roof basket, right now I have a nice washy brush on a long handle I can reach up and swab the roof easily while washing. Once something is up there if there isn't much clearance cleaning can be a bit more difficult and time consuming. I think it looks ok space-wise in your case.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Hmmm, well it is up there a ways, but at least then you have reasonably good access to reach in under it to wash the roof off which is sorta nice. Thats always been my holdback on a roof basket, right now I have a nice washy brush on a long handle I can reach up and swab the roof easily while washing. Once something is up there if there isn't much clearance cleaning can be a bit more difficult and time consuming. I think it looks ok space-wise in your case.
arudlang - Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
They look OK, but I have the "Panorama Roof" and I wouldn't want to cover up the "view"
Old 06-14-2018, 11:25 PM

I think the rack looks a little too high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in