'18 Compass Trailhawk Autoblog Featured - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 03-17-2018, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

'18 Compass Trailhawk Autoblog Featured

This just in: A few different points of view on the Compass Trailhawk from the chaps over at Autoblog:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/16/...riving-review/

It appears that some of the "complaints" about the Compass are echoed from the Consumer Reports review I posted about a few weeks ago. . Similar themes are the lack of power and disappointment in the 9 speed transmission.

From reading this I am definately happy that I went with the 6-speed manual. I always know what gear I'm going to shift to, and when I shift, it does what I want without hesitation

Compared to the CR review these editors did give much higher praise about the interior comfort and design. They do say that it has more of a truck-like or SUV feel than other models in the class, but that is a plus or a minus depending on which editor's comments you are reading.

I also like that they have this disclaimer at the bottom, so you know exactly where they are coming from:
"Autoblog accepts vehicle loans from auto manufacturers with a tank of gas and sometimes insurance for the purpose of evaluation and editorial content. Like most of the auto news industry, we also sometimes accept travel, lodging and event access for vehicle drive and news coverage opportunities. Our opinions and criticism remain our own we do not accept sponsored editorial."

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-17-2018, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
This just in: A few different points of view on the Compass Trailhawk from the chaps over at Autoblog:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/16/...riving-review/

It appears that some of the "complaints" about the Compass are echoed from the Consumer Reports review I posted about a few weeks ago.

Compared to the CR review these editors did give much higher praise about the interior comfort and design. They do say that it has more of a truck-like or SUV feel than other models in the class, but that is a plus or a minus depending on which editor's comments you are reading.
[/I]
Thanks.
Bolded is a plus in my book
post #3 of 8 Old 03-17-2018, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME&MYMP View Post
Thanks.
Bolded is a plus in my book
Mine too. It felt more like a truck/SUV and is much higher driving height than the forester I was testing. Also the manual gearbox has a bit longer throws and it's spread out more than the forester. The transmission is closer to a truck/SUV in the Jeep, while the forester's seems more like one from a small car/sport type. When I test drove the forester I by mistake had shifted from 2nd into 5th, missed 3rd altogether.

Oh, BTW I hope you went to the link and clicked through all their pics! This attached one had me thinking of you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Autoblog_img.jpg (44.2 KB, 165 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 PM

How sweet, anyway, that's far too unstable a spot for a several hundred dollar phone.

My other Jeep is an '85 Scrambler
post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 AM

Ok I'm starting to wonder is something special about our Trailhawk that makes it quicker and the transmission feel ok. I mean it is not really fast but it has had plenty of get up and go to make me happy merging into traffic and what not. I did watch the video on how the ZF-9 transmission works and learned that the dog clutch shifts are delayed a bit to allow for the dog clutches to align before engaging. This does mean you have to think ahead of time a tiny bit on acceleration. However I do know how you are suppose to merge into interstate traffic. I'm rolling close to or at the speed limit on the ramp. Not doing well under the limit on the ramp then trying to jump on the gass and hope I can get going fast enough to jump in a hole. Something with passing I have always planned my passes and not tried to pass at the end of a passing zone or too close to a blind curve. I drive this way no matter if I'm driving a Mustang GT or a Chevette.

We do have an issue up here where some people in front of me try to crawl onto the interstate at 35 MPH. But even in our Compass I have often been able to jump to a speed high enough to go from behind them right into the passing lane without interfering with traffic in the passing lane. So 35 to 60 or 65 in a matter of a short distance usally before the acceleration ramp has run out without yet having to pin the pedal to the floor.

As I posted before in the CR thread I have figured out if you slowly mash the pedal down it will take a bit for it to go and run good down shift patterns. But if I quickly hit the pedal down to 1/2 or 3/4 of the way down it will skip some down shifts and quickly find where it needs to be to get moving. I think the programming is so geared on the auto to get the best MPG it simply sees a mashing of the pedal as ok you want to speed up but no real rush. Quicker pedal movement tells the ECM you want/need power now so it abandons MPG mode in favor of better acceleration.

This engine also needs good RPM to build power and is designed so that it is fine running the upper RPM band when needed. Too many may fear getting too close to that redline. But after break in it is ok to get up on the redline for short burst. I of course would not peg it over there and let it hang out with redline for long periods of time. I have had to dial back the throttle a few times with the transmission in auto mode to keep the RPMs away from the red line while the little engine is breaking in. The fact that in auto mode it wants to down shift to higher RPMs when your asking it to go shows the engineers intend for the 2.4 to use the higher revs for power.

I also feel when these people are doing these reviews and driving so many different cars they lose some prospective. Yes if you had been driving a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk or a Challenger Hellcat then jump in a Jeep Compass it is going to feel very slow and sluggish. Spend a week or two driving a Subaru Crosstrek with an NA engine and a CVT transmission the Compass is going to feel almost like a race car!

Then let us also remember we don't know if any money is changing hands or some other type of bias is being added.

What I can say is that I have owned and driven too many cars to keep track of since I started driving. I really like driving something I had not driven before so I changed vehicles pretty often. There is not much out there I will not drive for the fun of it. I have a 16hp 3 wheeled car in my garage in fact I'm going to restore it is fun to drive even though it is a bit slow.

I can say with all honesty our Compass Trailhawk is no slug and is on par with any other other 4wd/awd compact/small SUV I have driven with around the same displacement 4 cylinder NA engine. No it is not the fastest and it certainly is not the slowest I place it right in the middle of the pack. It is exactly what I expect out of a SUV with the size and 4wd capability it has. If it had less capability I would expect it to land closer to the top of the pack as far as acceleration.

So I wonder am I the only one that feels their Compass Trailhawk has more than adequate acceleration? How about the rest of you 9sp owners?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
Then let us also remember we don't know if any money is changing hands or some other type of bias is being added.
Well according to their disclaimer at the end, they don't accept sponsored editorials, and these are their own opinions. Whether they are being truthful is another question...

post #7 of 8 Old 03-18-2018, 01:05 AM

My Compass isn't a Trailhawk, but I've also got the 9 speed in my '18 Latitude. In my opinion, it has pretty good acceleration for what it is. Actually far better than I had expected after reading reviews (by corporate America, of course). I'm a little over 1000 miles into ownership, and now that I'm adjusting my driving to the way the Jeep is set up, I'm really happy with it overall. My last car was a 2013 Chrysler 200 "S", also 2.4 powered but with the 6 speed auto. This little Jeep would beat the tar out of it a in the quarter mile, no question.
I've come to realize something is a little squirrelly with the reviews we see... Look at reviews by ACTUAL OWNERS, it's little they're talking about a completely different vehicle!
post #8 of 8 Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserJeep View Post
I've come to realize something is a little squirrelly with the reviews we see... Look at reviews by ACTUAL OWNERS, it's little they're talking about a completely different vehicle!
I feel that the Jeep engine is more than adequate, it's faster than my previous car, and definitely felt more peppy than other SUV's in the class that I test drove.

I too wonder if the "professional" reviewers suffer from car fatigue. Before buying I was searching for owner reviews on Youtube, because the ones from review websites all seem to just replicate the same talking points.

I wonder too if the Trailhawk having a different gearing may have anything to do with the "lack" of acceleration? Very rarely do I see reviews of non-trailhawk Compass. I think maybe I saw a single review of the manual transmission.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in