Floor mat question? - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By joninpa
  • 1 Post By jasleth

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Floor mat question?

Letting the beatings begin for THIS question, but I'm serious. (Yeah, I'm expecting some harsh remarks. Lol)
My '18 Compass has the cold weather group, which includes these rubber floor mats. I just cleaned up my interior, but I'm not sure what the best way to handle THIS material is. They're almost a gummy rubber, so mud seems to stick to them (and stain them) BAD. I imagine they need to be sealed, and was about to hit them with Meguires Natural Shine (which I've used on all of my interiors for years) but it's been so long since I've had floor mats that aren't carpeted, I'm not sure it's the best solution. Obviously they'll be more slippery when wet, but my dumb butt can't figure out a better way to make them look good on days the weather is nice. My detailing spray helped clean them up quite a bit, but once it dried, they still look like crap. The texture isn't helping. And I don't want to spend 3 hours scrubbing mats.
Anybody have a solution, or am I on my own? I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. Or should I just pick up some carpeted floor mats for nice days, or stop being a perfectionist? Lol
Thanks in advance... and BEGIN!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180319_174040_HDR_1521496321793.jpg (45.7 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2018, 12:05 PM

What I did was go to one of the big box home stores and purchased two of the lowest priced area rugs that fit the approximate size of the rubber floor mat. Then I traced the shape of the floor mat onto the area rug and cut with scissors. I think they cost less then $10 total.

Not the size I purchased but the material is similar - -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Unb...J1VH/202800194
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2018, 12:33 PM

When I took delivery it was raining, and since I had the cloth floormats I dirtied them a bit on the ride home. I didn't get the MOPAR official mats. The next day I went to Walmart and in the automotive section got some of those "cut your own" rubber floormats. The fit is pretty decent, they're a bit small for the front passenger side well but I don't care if they get muddy. They were about $20.

When I get some more cash I might spring for the official slush mats. They're a bit pricey compared to what you can find at automotive stores.
katrinacop likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual

Last edited by joninpa; 03-20-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking after work today, I'm going to pull the trigger (literally. Lol) and hit the rear floormats with my Meguires... That way if the results aren't acceptable, I can scrub them off at my leisure without having to look at them daily. They'll obviously lose their anti-skid trait, but SHOULD look way better.
With "Jeep" printed on them, they're cool enough that I'd like to keep them!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM

Garage
just my 2c in all honesty - I prefer all weather mats (I actually REALLY like the weathertech ones) for all seasons simply because they are laser cut to fit AND they will hold things that spill or slosh. you can never truly predict when it might turn nasty out there and having them in the vehicle 24/7 is nice. We got the Jeep/Mopar ones for my Cherokee and they are nice and work fine. The Weathertech ones are just a bit deeper/higher and already saved us once when a passenger had a drink spill into one of them - no muss no fuss clean with water and dry em off.

It is a one time expense and truly worth it.
fjroman2 likes this.

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking I may get some Weathertech mats for the front eventually. (Rarely have passengers in the back since the kids are in their 20s), but spring is here and most of the REALLY sloppy weather and road salt will be gone soon.
Just got home from work and figured I'd give the Meguires Natural Shine a shot on one of the rear mats after scrubbing the mud off of it.
I'd say it's a big improvement, without LOOKING much different. Doesn't feel slippery like I was afraid of, but doesn't feel so (tacky, grippy, sticky, not sure what to call the rubber from the factory). I hope it seals and lasts (and most importantly cleans up) as well as the surfaces I usually use this spray on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180320_171238_HDR_1521581060149.jpg (59.5 KB, 16 views)
post #7 of 10 Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

One more mat to go... This one is gonna be a challenge. Mud and road salt seriously don't want to come off.
Then I get to do the durability test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180320_181236_HDR_1521585073331.jpg (50.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20180320_181854_HDR_1521585085248.jpg (49.6 KB, 22 views)
post #8 of 10 Old 04-06-2018, 12:33 AM

I recently bought these from Amazon and they were authentic Mopar floor liners. Fit was perfect and way cheaper than the dealership and the Weathertech ones.

I'm unable to post the link but if you go to Amazon and type this in they should come up:

Jeep Compass Slush Style All Weather Floor Mats MY Body Style Mopar OEM
post #9 of 10 Old 04-06-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Those are pretty nice. I actually like mine, but they were a pain to clean. Currently they're filthy again, I'm hoping that the Meguires I put on them makes them easier to clean. Just need some nice weather to find out! 🙂
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 PM

I think these are the ones edhern wanted to link to: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXR6RMZ/

I have those ones as well, one of the reviews on there and some of the pictures are from me. They fit good, have the JEEP logo and have the raised sides that do a good job of capturing snow melt, the #1 source of water inside here where it snows a lot. They have an almost plastic quality to them, kinda rubber-ish but kinda more like plastic mats than anything, probably why they are cheaper.

They looked great new, now they are pretty muddy but my plan is simply to take them out and blast them with the pressure washer. I don't think stuck dirt can possibly hold up to that.

I am considering getting a quart of rubberized truck bed liner and coating them with that. Its only been half a year and I have really pounded the heck out of the driver's side mat. Thinking bed liner might help protect them and give a better grippier surface, and would be something I could easily touch up from year to year since the driver's one gets a lot of boot smash from me. If I do end up doing that I will for sure make a post to say how it turns out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in