Traction? - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jasleth

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 03-23-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Traction?

I've got a 2017 Compass with around 7,000 miles on it. Picked it up back at the end of July 2017. I came from a 2014 Cherokee and my issue has to do with the lack of traction. I feel like the vehicle is floating and never gripping the road. Now I know the Cherokee will drive different but I've never had a vehicle from any manufacturer that handled like this. Anybody else coming off a Cherokee or other Jeep vehicle noticing a difference? & yes my traction control is on. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2018, 06:43 PM

Garage
how are your tires?

We have both - she has a 2017 Jeep Compass and I have a 2018 Jeep Cherokee - traction wise they don't seem very different.

when you say floating and never gripping the road - if the tires "look" good - check your inflation also - if over inflated they might act that way too a bit.

Our Compass just hit 17k miles and she has an odd clicking sound when you turn VERY intermittently - not sure what that is caused by - other than that she does just fine - her suspension is a bit more bouncy than my Cherokee but beyond that not much else to report...

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2018, 07:41 PM

One of the complaints on the Compass is road drift/wandering. It is not an issue with traction it has to do with alignment,tires,struts/shocks,design and how stiff the body is particularly in the front. You might go to the dealer and have them check the alignment as a starting point

Our Trailhawk does no do this at all unless it is fighting wind. Not sure if it is the difference in tires,suspension or front skid plate or all the above. There is a gentleman on here that goes by Mudman1 he added the Trailhawk front skid plate to his Latitude 4x4 and reported his Jeep feels better on the road. Makes me wonder if at some point a strut tie bar might be offered by someone to help with this. Here is his post on that.

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...r-install.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-23-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasleth View Post
Our Compass just hit 17k miles and she has an odd clicking sound when you turn VERY intermittently - not sure what that is caused by - other than that she does just fine - her suspension is a bit more bouncy than my Cherokee but beyond that not much else to report...
Funny you mention this. I have started feeling something like faint bumping in our steering wheel when it is turned slightly. At first I thought is was a slight engine miss but I quickly figured out it was in the steering as if the wheel is straight or turned more than slight the feeling goes away. I'm thinking it has to do with the electric power steering unit kicking in and out on slightly turned wheel. Does your feel related to that?

I'm not trying to thread jack just thought this was interesting with what I had found.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-23-2018, 10:07 PM

Garage
heh mild thread jack - but ours is different - it happens once in awhile and usually from a cold start - you turn the wheel and get a vibration and clicking for a few seconds then it stops completely - and stays fine you can turn the wheel back and forth - then at random later usually again after a cold start - for a few seconds.

I have a separate post in the forums on it but nobody else has chimed in so far - we continue to monitor
Chris Jacobs likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2018, 03:17 PM

We bought ours off the lot and brought it back for an alignment within a few hundred miles, turned out the front wheels were toed out and the rear wheels where toed in, made for some scary ice driving! Probably got screwed up by shipping, they strap the vehicles down pretty hard sometimes for safe shipping and when the unbind them things may not always be where they where when they started. It has driven 100X better since the alignment, up until that point I was convinced the stock tires where crap. The stock tires are crap, but not totally worthless as long as the wheels are aligned properly it turns out.

We had freezing rain and an inch of snow dropped on us last night, this morning I popped it into snow mode and got out on the highway just ahead of the plows and I went cruising by dozens of other cars going slow in the right lane. I was just about able to maintain the speed limit of 65 MPH, and the roads were NASTY. Up here the highway has a lot of curves to go around the many lakes, lots of opportunities to fly off the road if the driver errors or the vehicle is ill-suited. I was running late for work so I was passing people on the curves and other sketchy stuff but the Compass had my back.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Garage
on both our Jeeps we got alignment done within the first 4 days - because we have Firestone lifetime alignment so might as well =P

If MOPAR had it as an option for maintenance I would have jumped but in both cases and not sure why as this is something I would hope on at least my Cherokee (which was brand new 16 miles on it) would not have been out - but both of them were kind of out of alignment - fixed up and good to go

I recommend always just checking so you get a good start - sometimes its a human error thing so why take the chance?

post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. Sorry for the delay in following up. Brought it in and was told all was good after a test drive. All is not good and I had some customer service issues at the dealership so I didnít give them a glowing review. Needless to say a manager contacted me and Iím back in for possibly a complimentary alignment and some more investigating. Fingers crossed.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2018, 05:42 PM

I am going to say that traction and floatiness hasn't been an issue for me. I had a newer Fusion ('13 new chasis) a while back and just going down a curved ramp I could feel the rear end loosening up at regular speeds and a few times after that. I haven't gotten that feeling even when I was breaking on practically ice over the winter, the nose of the car pushed left but the rear never felt ungrounded in my compass. I have also tried to assess it's steering and there is a ever so slight drift left at neutral when measured over a half mile, something all my FWD cars have done in the past.

Outside the obvious possible alignment issues, my only other note would be that if you are really sensitive to this, that maybe it isn't so much that it feels loose but it feels looser. As you are travelling at city speeds most of this is actually done in 4wd active, around 30 MPH the extra friction of the rears getting traction starts being felt so it feels like the car has tighten up, at 40-45 MPH, it drops the rears for economy sake. Is it possible you are feeling that lack of traction/tension and that might be making it feel looser?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-2018, 07:11 PM

I have the opposite opinion of the two cars. I throw my 2018 Compass around curves like its a car. (My previous vehicles being multiple Audi "S" models, so while not the same, I do know how a car handles) This Compass continues to impress me. The 2013 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk that I had (with factory air suspension) seemed very top heavy, even in 'sport' mode, and I didn't feel comfortable at all throwing it around curves like I do with this Compass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in