Fold Flat Front Passenger Seat? - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By joninpa
  • 1 Post By arudlang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Fold Flat Front Passenger Seat?

Hi Folks,

Can anyone fold their front passenger seat flat? It's a feature I have in my current ride and is extremely useful for toting 8' lumber inside the vehicle.

According to the manual:

"Fold-Forward Front Passenger Seat If Equipped
This feature allows for extended cargo space. When the
seat is folded flat, it is an extension of the load floor surface
(allowing long cargo to fit from the rear hatch up to the
instrument panel)..."

I'm wondering what the "If Equipped" caveat in the manual refers to. Near as I can tell the possible configurations for the seats are basic, heated (Cold Wx Grp), power 4-way lumbar support (Popular Eqpt Grp & Leather Interior Grp). I know the leather seats don't work - the TH that I test drove had the leather interior group and the front passenger seat would only fold forward as far as the top of the dash - no exactly an extension of the load floor and definitely not completely flat. I would be interested if the it's the same for all configurations or that's as good as it gets.

I know it's a lot to ask, but, any chance that someone with just the standard seats, someone with just the heated seats (cold wx grp) and someone with just the power lumbar support (popular equipment group) could try and fold their front seat flat and let me know if it was possible.

FWIW it's the TrailHawk that I'm interested in, but, I can't imagine the seats would be different in any other trim.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 03:20 PM

I have a limited with leather heated seats, the driver's seat is power and the passenger seat is manual adjustment. The passenger seat does not fold flat.

I have twice now bought a handful of 6 foot boards at menards for small projects and am able to fit those in the back, anything longer than that or more than a few boards I just hook up my trailer. Not really a supreme amount of cargo space in the compass TBH, the space between the cargo floor and the roof is not really that tall either I have had some issues with large objects just getting them into the rear (I have the full-size spare tire so my cargo floor has to be at its highest point).

I thought it was odd you were asking about the front seat when the rear seats don't even fold completely flat.. For the most part I am fine with it, in some situations its nice because it keeps stuff from rolling forward as easily because it would have to roll uphill, but for me this vehicle replaced an S10 Chevy Blazer that had a much larger tailgate opening, true fold-flat rear seats, and a lot more cubic feet in general but overall it was simply a larger vehicle.

We like our compass a lot but we are barely six months into our lease and we are already leaning towards figuring out how to jump up to a grand cherokee when the lease is done. The compass does not quite have enough space and horsepower for our long-term needs, and so far it has not yielded the magical high fuel efficiency I had expected to enjoy in trade for that lack of power.

Side note, yes, we are going to skip right over the regular cherokee because its still a bit too small and underpowered but mostly its ugly as all-get-out and based on their facelift for this year there is no indications its going to get any better for that boat-faced-abomination any time soon..
post #3 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't look too closely at the back seats, I assumed that like my current ride they would go almost flat. I will take a closer look during my next test drive. Unfortunately I don't have the room to store a trailer at my place. I don't mind renting one if I have a lot to carry, but, not for a handful of boards so whatever vehicle I buy has to be able to carry at least some. I will also look at the height of the Compass' cargo compartment compared to my current ride.

Food for thought, many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 07:48 PM

Yet another perspective for you... I've got a Latitude with the "premium vinyl and cloth" seats, which are heated as well... I just ran out to try to fold it forward and the side bolsters on the seat bottom and back hit each other, so it doesn't remotely fold flat. It does go forward quite a bit, definitely not flat though.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 07:55 PM

Another thing to consider... I know on the only vehicle I ever owned with that feature (a 2004 Monte Carlo SS) the back of that seat was molded, somewhat flat plastic. On my Jeep seatback, it is the same material as the back of the drivers seat. I would assume IF Jeep really has that option, it probably gets taken away with ANY seat upgrades. Maybe take a peek in a base model Compass with the cloth interior, see what the passenger seatback looks like.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 08:17 PM

I was disappointed to see that the new seats don't fold flat. It was a great feature on the previous models.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 PM

Here is what they could be talking about. The seat does fold forward quite a bit, but it's not "flat".

As laserjeep says, the sides of the seat and the seatback touch when folded forward so you cannot get a "flat cargo surface" like the manual says.

It will give you extra cargo space, in case you need to haul a long board or something, the passenger seat does get lower than the dashboard, and you don't have to stick it in between the two front seats.

Here are some pictures with the front passenger seat and the rear seats folded, so you can get an idea of what FCA may mean by "flat"

I searched google and saw some previous model Jeeps with some super flat front passenger seats, so I don't know that this is what they are talking about. If someone out there has flatter seat than this please post a pic!

I have 4x4 sport with sport appearance package and tech package and just the standard cloth seats. Good luck with your vehicle search!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img2_resize.jpg (40.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg img3_resize.jpg (43.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg img1_resize.jpg (44.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg img4_resize.jpg (37.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg img5_resize.jpg (31.0 KB, 19 views)
Germaneon likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual

Last edited by joninpa; 03-30-2018 at 09:28 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. What joninpa shows is pretty much what I saw on the TH with leather so I'm guessing that's as good as it gets with the new Compass. Unfortunate.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-01-2018, 09:13 PM

The old compass/caliber had the fold flat front passenger seat, maybe a horrible editing mistake in the manual (it's happened before with Chrysler) or other markets/counties have the option and it still was mistakenly added to the manual.

Drilling through parts I discovered there are 3 different headlights. Halogen, projector and projector w/ LED accent. US market only got halogen and projector w/ LED

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #10 of 13 Old 04-02-2018, 09:00 AM

Garage
Here's a comparision between the new Compass and the old Compass/Caliber:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sitz.jpg (111.8 KB, 84 views)
post #11 of 13 Old 04-02-2018, 02:47 PM

What irks me the most is that they did the 60/40 split seat backwards. The wide section should be on the passenger-side.
mdram4x4 likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Yes, in this case, fold flat is only needing to mean ''flush with plane of dash'' as it were. So, that you could say put a pole or board along a straight, yet angled line from rear to front as such.
Also remember, that all of these rigs have a nice, delicate LCD screen in the middle of the dash. So, the designers would actually prefer people did not place bulky or sharp objects about that area of the cabin that are not themselves human beings.

The European Renegade (cloth) seats fold a touch flatter than the American ones, but that is about as close as all such related things get.
This is a people mover. If you want something to haul cargo in with any efficiency, you need an actual cargo van, or an SUV based upon a full-sized chassis (like a tahoe).
post #13 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 02:36 PM

''Here's a comparision between the new Compass and the old Compass/Caliber:''

Do not even bother comparing the two. The differences between the separate chassis and platforms could not be more numerous.
The old Compass is built on a platform that represents the last major design/engineering collaboration between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. With its tangible Mitsubishi counterpart being the old generation Outlander (the one that looks like a miniature, old ZJ Grand Cherokee). The old compass, like it, is a cheap Japanese car of outdated design characteristics.

The new chassis is a domesticated, and enlarged Renegade. Which itself is a matured, modernized, and grown up Fiat Panda (one of the more amazing cheap, little, go-anywhere rigs made in the last 50 years). And, when that itself was domesticated, some of its utility was left by the wayside. And that was done just as much for the consumer as not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in