Aftermarket hitch receiver install - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike Maxwell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 04-02-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket hitch receiver install

I "attempted" to install an aftermarket hitch receiver this weekend. I purchased a Curt Class 3 receiver to accept a bike rack. Yes - a bit overdone with the Class 3, but I have a 2in bike rack.

Well, everything was going along well until I had to remove the bolts that are installed into the frame that will hold the receiver to the frame. The assembly line must have torqued those down to 250in-lb. I could get the two that are vertical and easily accessible, but the 4 that are horizontally oriented are accessible but I could not get a cheater bar on my ratchet wrench. Even some anti-sieze didn't get them to budge.

I'm going to check with the local auto shop to see if they will finish the job for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBud View Post
I "attempted" to install an aftermarket hitch receiver this weekend. I purchased a Curt Class 3 receiver to accept a bike rack. Yes - a bit overdone with the Class 3, but I have a 2in bike rack.

Well, everything was going along well until I had to remove the bolts that are installed into the frame that will hold the receiver to the frame. The assembly line must have torqued those down to 250in-lb. I could get the two that are vertical and easily accessible, but the 4 that are horizontally oriented are accessible but I could not get a cheater bar on my ratchet wrench. Even some anti-sieze didn't get them to budge.

I'm going to check with the local auto shop to see if they will finish the job for me.
I was thinking of putting on a receiver for the same reason. I am sure an air impact gun would be able to loosen them. Do you have photos?

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #3 of 7 Old 04-02-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

The impact gun is one tool I don't have. What kind of pictures do you want?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Just wanted to see where you were having the issues.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #5 of 7 Old 04-12-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

So - to close this issue, I had to take the hitch receiver and vehicle to a local shop to have it installed. The installer even confirmed that I would have not been able to loosen / remove the bolts in the frame without an impact wrench. The critical factor here is that this is a Trailhawk edition. Curt has updated their instructions (13363-INS) based on my feedback to them. $120 later it is installed.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 02:18 PM

You were simply using vastly improper tools for the job. So, there is no mystery here.
I am going to be very glib here (something which you Americans seem to be allergic to). I am a 10+ year master technician, with 5 of those having been for FCA for that matter:

Most of the various little problems and complaints that yourself and others have registered on here are absolutely nothing justifiable of the sort. You either should not have been trying or touching what you did, or have apparently forgotten between your last vehicles and this one what driving and owning a car is like. Or, have never owned a contemporary one at the least. And there is also the prevailing theory that everything should stay the same forever, OR always go exactly how you imagine it should (the other most common American delusions.

How about everyone just sits back and drives their ENTRY level priced compact, cross-over SUV and understand and appreciate that for what it is worth. This level of unjustified frustration and loftiness on this board is somehow even worse than that on the two other MP (renegade) boards.
I own/have owned both rigs. And they are exactly what they say they are. And have served me exactly as well as I knew they would. For that reason, I could not be more satisfied. And, thus magically have not had my expectations crushed by my own ego.
and to bookend that. For the love of all that is holy, please let only the professionals touch these vehicles. They are 2017+ model year in this year of 2018. And it has been more than technically illegal (alone) for the layman to touch them since 1996. That is not joke. Nor is it anyone ''infringing on your right to work on your car''. You all lost that when you began enjoying niceties like direct fuel injection, sat-nav, creature comforts, and having your fuel-sipping mileage while eating your low-polluting emissions too. None of this was ever meant for you to be party to on the practical end.

That all being said, I will gladly answer any and all technical questions etc. for anyone on here to the best of my abilities; and without any loftiness of my own. I do hope and am glad that everyone seems to be enjoying their cars for the most part. And, good morning to all the jeeps out there :^)
10-64 likes this.

Last edited by Mike Maxwell; 05-26-2018 at 02:23 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maxwell View Post
You were simply using vastly improper tools for the job. So, there is no mystery here.
I am going to be very glib here (something which you Americans seem to be allergic to). I am a 10+ year master technician, with 5 of those having been for FCA for that matter:

Most of the various little problems and complaints that yourself and others have registered on here are absolutely nothing justifiable of the sort. You either should not have been trying or touching what you did, or have apparently forgotten between your last vehicles and this one what driving and owning a car is like. Or, have never owned a contemporary one at the least. And there is also the prevailing theory that everything should stay the same forever, OR always go exactly how you imagine it should (the other most common American delusions.

How about everyone just sits back and drives their ENTRY level priced compact, cross-over SUV and understand and appreciate that for what it is worth. This level of unjustified frustration and loftiness on this board is somehow even worse than that on the two other MP (renegade) boards.
I own/have owned both rigs. And they are exactly what they say they are. And have served me exactly as well as I knew they would. For that reason, I could not be more satisfied. And, thus magically have not had my expectations crushed by my own ego.
and to bookend that. For the love of all that is holy, please let only the professionals touch these vehicles. They are 2017+ model year in this year of 2018. And it has been more than technically illegal (alone) for the layman to touch them since 1996. That is not joke. Nor is it anyone ''infringing on your right to work on your car''. You all lost that when you began enjoying niceties like direct fuel injection, sat-nav, creature comforts, and having your fuel-sipping mileage while eating your low-polluting emissions too. None of this was ever meant for you to be party to on the practical end.

That all being said, I will gladly answer any and all technical questions etc. for anyone on here to the best of my abilities; and without any loftiness of my own. I do hope and am glad that everyone seems to be enjoying their cars for the most part. And, good morning to all the jeeps out there :^)
Well said, Mike!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in