A few new owner questions - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By moira2
  • 1 Post By Koily

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 04-08-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

A few new owner questions

I just got a 2018 Latitude yesterday. Actually found one on a dealer lot that had a manual transmission in the color I wanted with 21J preferred, popular equip, safety, and tow packages. I've been through the manual and have a few questions.

1) The manual mentions the blinker flashing 3 times when pushing down before the click. Mine flashes 5 and I don't see a setting anywhere to change it (I'd prefer 3 ).

2) I probably just don't understand how it's explained in the manual, but are the "apps" in the 7" uconnect are basically just shortcuts? I was thinking it would be items like Pandora, etc.

3) The salesman said you could turn the heated seats on and off with a voice command. After looking through everything and trying, I'm assuming he was wrong.

4) Emergency braking - I don't see any settings in uconnect for this, so it must only be on higher trims? I do have the lane sense and blind spot monitoring.

5) The manual says towing is not recommended for the manual transmission. I assume it's still ok given the car has a manual transmission and the tow package.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 01:33 PM

1. I think mine flashes 5 times too. I haven't seen where to change it. Also it seems once you initiate the sequence you can't stop it. So if you bump the stalk, you drive down the road indicating to signal 5 times.

2. No apps unfortunately. The android auto app only shows up after you connect your phone

3. Haven't tried it, but it sounds plausible. I read that you can set the temperature by voice. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

4. I noticed this too. I've been doing some digging on it, and I THINK you don't get emergency braking as part of the safety and security package with a manual transmission. My guess is that if it emergency braked and you weren't paying attention it could stall the vehicle. It would still be nice if we got the audible and visual alerts though! See my post on it here: http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...ll-sensor.html

5. There is another member here who has a manual and has some youtube videos showing him towing. I got the trailer package and intend to tow a small trailer with mine as well.

update with towing post/video
http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...w-youtube.html

Last edited by n4cr2k; 04-09-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: update with post. & typo
post #3 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 02:34 PM

#1: So sayeth Fiat Chrysler Automobiles of the Jeep Compass; "First thou pushest the Holy Turn Signal Lever. Then the car shall wink the turn signal indicator lamps five times. Five shall be the number of the winks and the number of the blinking of the lamps shall be five. Six shalt not blink, neither shalt it blink four, excepting that it then proceedeth to five. Seven is right out. Once the number five, being the number of the blinks, be reached, then movest thou the steering wheel in the direction of thine lane change, which, being empty of other cars in thine sight, shall be thine new lane to driveth in."

#2: Well, they are apps in the technical sense but they are the stock apps put there by FCA and that I know of there is no way you can add any other apps, no app store or anything like that.

#3: I don't know what voice commands are supported but there has got to be a section in the manual that describes them. I think you can also ask it to give you the list of valid commands?

#4: My understanding of the emergency braking feature was that the ECU monitors and "notices" how quickly or abruptly you remove your foot from the gas pedal, and how short the time span is between suddenly letting off the gas and mashing the brake pedal, and uses that information to determine when to provide maximum braking pressure for an emergency stop. Its in the manual somewhere. I don't know about your model but mine does not have any sort of "brake for you to prevent you from running over a person in a crosswalk" capability.

#5: It totally depends on how you define "ok". "Ok" to FCA? Probably technically not, in the face of warranty issues with say a prematurely failed clutch. "Ok" in the real world? Absolutely. Why would they give you the receiver if its not technically OK to tow? -> "Intended for mount of a bicycle rack only" is probably what the lawyers would have against you. There are hitch receiver kits for all manner of tiny under-powered or weak-transmissioned (CVT) cars, they all have the disclaimer that their intention is only to facilitate the installation and use of something light like a bicycle carrier and that they are not responsible for any damages if you use their kit to tow your fishing boat with your prius. Towing a tiny 200 lb utility trailer falls into a grey area of "don't ask, don't tell, just do what you need to do." If you don't suck at using a clutch it will be perfectly fine, just don't tell the dealership service department you like to tow your boat with it.

Last edited by arudlang; 04-10-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 07:46 PM

never listen to a car salesman.

also this: https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabilities/towing.html

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
post #5 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 11:06 PM

Another question for you manual transmission owners. Does your clutch pedal stick out much further than your brake pedal. I swear mine sat almost flush to the brake and now it sticks out a bit. Maybe 1.5 - 2 inches. I'm not sure how pushing the pedal covers on, would cause it to stick out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch pedal.jpg (45.8 KB, 16 views)
post #6 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 12:52 AM

my clutch is about 1 cm above the brake. funny thing, when I put my feet on them it feels like it's level. Maybe the cover just makes it 1 cm more and you can notice the difference with your feet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize_pedal.jpg (170.7 KB, 12 views)

post #7 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the replies and information. I figured the salesman did not really know that much about the particular model and was just talking. I'm also glad to see that you can tow light loads if needed. The manual transmission is pretty good and the Compass feels about as fast as the MK3 Focus it replaced.

Also thought of 1 other question...are the rear vents only on certain trims? It seems like kind of a silly feature to not have standard across all trims, and I was surprised to not see it there after seeing all of the reviews and test driving a limited earlier in the year.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 04:26 AM

The rear vents are on every trim I believe, with the exception being that they aren’t on models with a MT. The vents for MT versions are under the front seats.

2018 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4, Manual Transmission Babee!!

Last edited by Koily; 04-10-2018 at 06:00 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koily View Post
The rear vents are on every trim I believe, with the exception bring that they arenít on models with a MT. The vents for MT versions are under the front seats.
Ahh, so it's the manual transmission. Well, I guess my kids can just be a little hotter/colder for me to have a vehicle that's more fun to drive.
joninpa likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
my clutch is about 1 cm above the brake. funny thing, when I put my feet on them it feels like it's level. Maybe the cover just makes it 1 cm more and you can notice the difference with your feet?
I guess that looks about the same as mine. The new pedal might be a hair thicker. Maybe its my imagination, but the pedal travel/engagement just feels different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira2
3) The salesman said you could turn the heated seats on and off with a voice command. After looking through everything and trying, I'm assuming he was wrong.
I tried various commands and help commands for climate controls. The only thing I was able to change was the driver and passenger temperature. The uConnect manual confirmed this.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Here's another quirk I came across. The radio shuts off when I turn off the engine, despite having the "radio off with door" option enabled in the Uconnect settings.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira2 View Post
Ahh, so it's the manual transmission. Well, I guess my kids can just be a little hotter/colder for me to have a vehicle that's more fun to drive.
Isn't it though?! It's funny, after they announced the Renegade in 2014 and I saw the specs, I was determined that would be my next vehicle. I test drove it and loved it. Then this past spring (because this year's has not yet arrived), the salesman suggested I try the Compass. I saw it and loved how it looked (much better in person than in pictures) and I test drove the 9 speed. I absolutely HATED how it drove. Told the sales guy there was no way in hell I would get one. Then out of curiosity, I came across one at another dealership with a MT. Been hooked ever since. I've always driven MT and the thought that they may not be around by the time I'm ready to purchase my next vehicle, leaves me sad and hollow inside...
WMLattitude likes this.

2018 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4, Manual Transmission Babee!!
post #13 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koily View Post
they may not be around by the time I'm ready to purchase my next vehicle, leaves me sad and hollow inside...
the auto-makers cartel has planned to have automatic emergency "safety" features such as braking etc. standard on all cars by 2022. That means the days of manual transmission are numbered. I am not convinced that automatic systems are "safer".

Also, I test drove and compared three manual transmission vehicles. The jeep compass, the subaru forester, and the chevy cruze. The forester and cruze are no longer offered with manual transmissions for 2019.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira2 View Post
I was looking at a video for the Compass in other countries with manual transmission, and it has the rear vents. Must just be the American model that gets shortchanged.
about 6:28 into the video.

Last edited by n4cr2k; 04-13-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo. tried to fix broken youtube embedding.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
Just to follow up on this, I was at the dealership to pick something up, and compared my pedals to one on the lot. There was a stark difference side by side. On the hydraulic connecting rod of the clutch, there is a flare that attaches to a clip on the back of the clutch pedal. Mine had popped out of the clip. With a good bit of wrestling, the dealer was able to get it snapped back in. So be careful not to pull up on the clutch pedal or it may un-clip. The pedal will feel off, and have an awkward engagement point.

Also the "radio off with door" option need to be used in conjunction with the radio off delay. Which ever happens first will shut off the radio.

Last edited by n4cr2k; 04-17-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: update post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in