Common theme with Jeep Compass issues... - Jeep Compass Forum
View Poll Results: Choose which best describes your opinion of UConnect in Jeep
I am dissatisfied and wish there were no infotainment system in my Jeep. 3 9.68%
I am dissatisfied and wish Uconnect only controlled entertainment/media. 8 25.81%
I am satisfied with the way Uconnect works, and all the systems it controls are working fine. 15 48.39%
I am satisfied with Uconnect and wish more car systems rely on it. 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 43 Old 04-11-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Thumbs down Common theme with Jeep Compass issues...

...Essential systems routed through a faulty, half-baked, unnecessary 'infotainment' system.

I don't know when these over-grown ipods became standard in vehicles, but I've never seen such worthless junk pushed on consumers.

A car's brakes, lights, car locks, HVAC and other systems must be separate from entertainment systems. If my radio is on the fritz I shouldn't have to worry that something more than music is going to be malfunctioning. This seems like basic, fundamental logic, and I have yet to hear a compelling argument as to why essential systems are hooked to this Uconnect garbage.

I know that it's an easy sell for marketers to jam this tech into cars, b/c the millenials eat it right up. Gotta keep up with the Joneses. However, when the MAJORITY of posts complaining about the jeep are related to this system, it doesn't take too long to figure out what the Achilles heel is.

If 'jeepcares' really cared, they wouldn't just send damage control agents to troll the forums and put out fires, they would bring this feedback to the engineers and say "THIS CRAP DOESN'T WORK".

IMO: Make it fully optional and let the market decide. We can choose: Have a button or a knob, or have your Jeep in for service b/c the radio that controls 1/2 your vehicle constantly reboots and blast 85 degree heat.
fjroman2 likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 04-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Koily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 23
 
I've always been a fan of "pretty". I've walked out of Mitsu dealerships because my choice of would be vehicle has no "pretty" inside. The 8.4 inch Uconnect looks good and adds some pretty to the interior of the Compass. I wanted a bigger screen, but after I took ownership of my vehicle, and continued perusing this forum, I found myself quite happy with my 5 inch screen. Sure I wish I could do more with it, heck all the things folks do with the bigger screens, I wish I could do, but ultimately, mine does what I need it to. Its average looking, but it does its job.

Today's vehicles have so much going on in them and for the next generation of car buyers perhaps that's a good thing. Me? I want to be able to get from point A to Z and every point in between, reliably. I want to be able to listen to music if I choose. I want a comfortable ride and I don't want it to cost an arm and a leg by having to fill my gas tank every other day. I am, for the most part, basic and I'm okay with that.

Gotta say joninpa, I agree with your assessment, the infotainment system should be infotainment only. Do I think access to other features should be on the Uconnect? Sure, but those other features or controls should NOT be dependent on it. Honestly don't understand the reasoning behind putting them all together, unless its to make things proprietary.

As for letting the market decide...I think they'd go for all the bells and whistles because they'd assume with a brand new vehicle, everything will work as it should. I've lived long enough to understand that less is more, especially when it comes to big hunks of machinery and electronics.

EDIT: I think your poll needs to specify the Uconnect system. I'm pretty sure the issues are with the fancier, bigger screens and not my average 5.

2018 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4, Manual Transmission Babee!!

Last edited by Koily; 04-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Koily is offline  
post #3 of 43 Old 04-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Member
 
fjroman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 34
 
Garage
Sad to say...I'm not a millennial, but I liked the 8.4" screen and the options it presented. The fact that it is screwing with my climate control system is annoying. I work for a large corporation and we would never send something out with bugs like this. Do we have bugs and issues we need to fix, sure, but damn, these things are simple and they should be an easy fix. Personally, I have never owned a Jeep...I like the vehicle and the 4WD system, but why am I trying to track how often my system fails, just ridiculous. The fact that the dealer says, well, we don't have this issue as something anyone has seen before is just...grrrrrr... Obviously the dealer isn't going to be able to update the SW unless Jeep provides new SW...Jeep needs to step up and fix this.

note: I answered "I am dissatisfied and wish Uconnect only controlled entertainment/media." - I honestly don't care that the system controls the climate control and seat heaters and stuff, but I just wish it worked CORRECTLY!!!

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk - Black

Last edited by fjroman2; 04-11-2018 at 06:15 PM.
fjroman2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 43 Old 04-11-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
yeah I could have made more/better options for the poll. Too bad I can't edit it now. I would have added "i'm dissatisfied, just want system to work as advertised" or something like that. Oh well.
fjroman2 likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 04-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 27
 
Mine has been working great and is one of the reasons I bought my Jeep. This system is way better than what my 2013 Ford Fusion had. I wouldnít even consider buying a new car without the larger screen and CarPlay.
zsc1991 is offline  
post #6 of 43 Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsc1991 View Post
Mine has been working great and is one of the reasons I bought my Jeep. This system is way better than what my 2013 Ford Fusion had. I wouldnít even consider buying a new car without the larger screen and CarPlay.
I don't even know what carplay is, nor would I ever consider using it. When I'm in a car, I am there to drive, not play.

If everything is working fine for your Jeep then you are lucky.

I have NEVER pushed a button on the Uconnect touchscreen and had it detect my input on the first try. It's lag-lag-lag every single day. Maybe those who use touch screens on their phones are accustomed to this type of lag. As someone who doesn't use touch screens, it is very annoying and extremely distracting while driving.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 04-12-2018, 01:12 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 27
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
I don't even know what carplay is, nor would I ever consider using it. When I'm in a car, I am there to drive, not play.

If everything is working fine for your Jeep then you are lucky.

I have NEVER pushed a button on the Uconnect touchscreen and had it detect my input on the first try. It's lag-lag-lag every single day. Maybe those who use touch screens on their phones are accustomed to this type of lag. As someone who doesn't use touch screens, it is very annoying and extremely distracting while driving.
Iíve never had a bit of lag, itís a very responsive system, maybe you are not touching the screen correctly. Obviously CarPlay isnít something to ďplayĒ with while driving. Just a great way to connect your phone to the car to remain hands free.
zsc1991 is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 04-12-2018, 01:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 128
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
I don't even know what carplay is, nor would I ever consider using it. When I'm in a car, I am there to drive, not play.

If everything is working fine for your Jeep then you are lucky.

I have NEVER pushed a button on the Uconnect touchscreen and had it detect my input on the first try. It's lag-lag-lag every single day. Maybe those who use touch screens on their phones are accustomed to this type of lag. As someone who doesn't use touch screens, it is very annoying and extremely distracting while driving.
Your system should NOT have lag. As much as I can't stand how many electrical gremlins this thing has, I can at least say the response time is very quick when something is pressed.
zsc1991 likes this.
dannydeez is offline  
post #9 of 43 Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydeez View Post
Your system should NOT have lag. As much as I can't stand how many electrical gremlins this thing has, I can at least say the response time is very quick when something is pressed.
I'm sure there are plenty of things that "should not" happen in cars.

I turn on the jeep and put in reverse and sometimes I see the back-up camera lags. Like it will freeze on a frame and then jump to live. That's dangerous lag, so I've stopped looking at that silly screen while backing, and just do it the old fashioned way. It's just garbage. The sensors beep when there's nothing behind the car but raindrops. None of this supposed awesome game-changing tech works.

When the car comes on sometimes the USB isn't being detected or the climate control is out of whack b/c it decided to change itself to 82įF. I will think I'm pushing one of those buttons along the bottom to fix it but the screen doesn't change. Then I will push again and on the 3rd time it will change screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsc1991 View Post
Iíve never had a bit of lag, itís a very responsive system, maybe you are not touching the screen correctly.


You can blame me and say that I'm not "touching them correctly", but to me that just sounds like some excuse that cellphone salespeople say in defense of crappy laggy touchscreen phones. I've never had this issue with physical buttons in any car ever.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #10 of 43 Old 04-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Redmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 166
 
Here is a new one that happened to me yesterday. I get in the Compass start it up and the drivers temperature is the only thing showing on the screen. It was about 2 inches tall with a box around it and it is in the upper left corner of the screen. I had to shut off my Compass twice and restart for it to start working. When It started working, the temperatures where not where I set them, they were not synced and it was set to defrost (I keep it on floor at all times). Not sure if it was possibly some update that was going on, but it was pretty frustrating. I wish they would send out an "Updating System" notification (like my Ford Fusion did) if and when it is updating.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
Redmaxx is offline  
post #11 of 43 Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 656
 
This "poll" is much more frustrating than the occasional bugs I encounter in the Uconnect system. Its not perfect, but I do like it well enough.
joninpa likes this.
arudlang is offline  
post #12 of 43 Old 04-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 27
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
I turn on the jeep and put in reverse and sometimes I see the back-up camera lags. Like it will freeze on a frame and then jump to live. That's dangerous lag, so I've stopped looking at that silly screen while backing, and just do it the old fashioned way. It's just garbage. The sensors beep when there's nothing behind the car but raindrops. None of this supposed awesome game-changing tech works.

You can blame me and say that I'm not "touching them correctly", but to me that just sounds like some excuse that cellphone salespeople say in defense of crappy laggy touchscreen phones. I've never had this issue with physical buttons in any car ever.
I have had a very small delay when shifting into reverse immediately after starting. I would assume that it is just the limits to todayís tech when attempting to switch from one input (uConnect) to another (backup cam) while uConnect is still initially loading As for calling it dangerous, silly and garbage, I think thatís a bit over the top. As soon as you see itís not a live shot you stop and use your mirrors. As for the sensors, I would rather them be a bit overly sensitive that underperforming. The combo of the cam and sensors definitely make backing up more safe overall.

Maybe you should have a dealer take a look at your uConnect if you believe you are doing everything correctly. I have never seen you mention that you have had it checked out in the multiple threads where you complain and bash all of the Jeepís tech. Just donít like technology in general, fine and great if that works for you, just donít use it. I just donít see the point in constantly bashing a system if it is working as designed. Sure some will be defective and have bugs but you canít know your situation until you have it checked over.
zsc1991 is offline  
post #13 of 43 Old 04-13-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsc1991 View Post
I have had a very small delay when shifting into reverse immediately after starting. I would assume that it is just the limits to todayís tech when attempting to switch from one input (uConnect) to another (backup cam) while uConnect is still initially loading As for calling it dangerous, silly and garbage, I think thatís a bit over the top. As soon as you see itís not a live shot you stop and use your mirrors. As for the sensors, I would rather them be a bit overly sensitive that underperforming. The combo of the cam and sensors definitely make backing up more safe overall.

Maybe you should have a dealer take a look at your uConnect if you believe you are doing everything correctly. I have never seen you mention that you have had it checked out in the multiple threads where you complain and bash all of the Jeepís tech. Just donít like technology in general, fine and great if that works for you, just donít use it. I just donít see the point in constantly bashing a system if it is working as designed. Sure some will be defective and have bugs but you canít know your situation until you have it checked over.
The only thing that is defective is the population of people that accept technology that doesn't improve efficiency, yet adds excessive vulnerability to system failure.

Buttons and knobs were never the problem in previous generations of cars. The problems were mechanical failure after thousands of miles of operating at stressful speeds and temperatures. I am not going to bring a car in for service because marketing told engineers to replace buttons and knobs with some junk touchscreen. From what I see, all of these issues that we find common on the forum, when posters have brought it into Jeep they say it's not a known issue. I have better things to do with my time, and I can't go days without a vehicle because some highschool kid at the service desk has never heard of any of these issues with Uconnect.

It seems that you, and many others, may just have a tolerance for technology being garbage. You may just ignore the times when it's not working properly, or when it reduces efficiency, or inhibits normal operation. You originally said you never had lag, then you admit you have seen the same lag I see on the backup cam when you shift to reverse. Instead of saying "hey this system shouldn't work like that if it's installed for safety", you are claiming that it's user error and I'm not giving the operating system enough time to catch up with my movements. How dare I expect to drive my jeep? When I get into the jeep and go to back up that's what I want to do. I don't want to wait for a boot cycle on the in-dash entertainment center. Therefore the backup cam does not function the way it should, I deem it is worthless garbage, and should not be "standard on all vehicles by 2018" like the government mandates.

The "you don't like tech fine don't use it" works when you can actually buy a vehicle that doesn't have essential systems routed through said faulty tech, or the government/industry decide to make this tech standard/mandatory. It should be the other way around, if you want tech, you should be allowed to pay for it, but it should not be standard on all vehicles.
Mudman1, BrandoP71 and Dbuster like this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #14 of 43 Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Member
 
ua_who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 71
 
@joninpa
Not trying to bash you here, but your posts sound more like rants than anything constructive.

1) Does the equipment work? You say no. Many many say yes.
Is it perfect? No. But neither were those "knobs" and "buttons" you are loving on. Those shorted out, broke, etc. too.

2) There is some user issue here - especially with new tech. Some people like it, get it, understand it, etc. and it's good.
Some think it's confusing, and illogical.... and think it's bad. And when it doesn't work as expected, get frustrated.

3) If auto makers made vehicles without the tech, they would not sell many cars. Even our own beloved Jeep has been trying that with the Wrangler.
And all they get in return? Love from the enthusiast... Yeah! Bashed by the reviews/ratings... boo! and low sales. Way more people want the tech, and therefore tech sells.
If you don't want it, not a problem. You buy an older car.

4) I think if you truly look at the stats, having electronic switches is far more reliable than mechanical buttons/knobs. Tech more susceptible to failure?? no. just the opposite


To end, your disagreement just seems misplaced. It's not the tech idea itself, but the bugs in YOUR vehicles systems. Jeep is far from perfect and known for putting out software before it's ready. And maybe you have a vehicle that is buggier than most. Go get it fixed/repaired/replaced/etc. Yes, Jeep relies on warranty work far too much, and should take better care with the software side of things. But take them to task on it. Demanding that they go put mechanical buttons and knobs is not the right approach.

peace

2017 Compass limited 4x4
ua_who is offline  
post #15 of 43 Old 04-13-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua_who View Post
3) If auto makers made vehicles without the tech, they would not sell many cars.
citation needed

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #16 of 43 Old 04-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Member
 
ua_who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 71
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
citation needed
I don't want to start an argument with you. Just stating my opinion.

Obviously there is no direct citation, quote, published data that I know of.
But there IS empirical evidence:

Look at the new cars out there. How many have the new "tech" ? How many don't?

I don't know the exact data. But if you walk around the new car lot, you'll get a good sense of the data.... which is the empirical evidence.

2017 Compass limited 4x4
ua_who is offline  
post #17 of 43 Old 04-13-2018, 10:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 65
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
citation needed
Ford. Ford specifically stated in early 2013 as the were launching the new Fusion which was more tech advanced than a lot of cars 50% more expensive, found that more than any other feature, more tech at reasonable levels drove sales better than any other features and had the best return on investment. That was 5 years ago. It's only going to more the case now. There is a reason why the strippers that enthusiasts like yourself are a fan of are mostly fleet sales. They want the bare minimum car for the price. Not because they want to get away from electronics. Putting in 2k in electronics and charging 5-7k more for the car actually boosts sales and margin. Specially in the US, unless you think people are buying 60-70k F150's in droves because they want to carry more? No they want more of everything and that includes electronics.
Topweasel is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 04-13-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua_who View Post
I don't want to start an argument with you. Just stating my opinion.

Obviously there is no direct citation, quote, published data that I know of.
But there IS empirical evidence:

Look at the new cars out there. How many have the new "tech" ? How many don't?

I don't know the exact data. But if you walk around the new car lot, you'll get a good sense of the data.... which is the empirical evidence.
Aren't forums a way to have civil arguments with peers so that we can share our opinions?

Again, you are confusing a decision that was made by marketers and board members concerned with maximizing profit and thinking it was actually a reflection of consumer demand. The fact that more cars on the lot have tech is not due to consumer demand, it's due to executive decisions at car companies that only want to make more $$, not do you favors or improve your life. The reason why all the companies are putting tech into the cars is because they can charge more per unit, and the unit will need to be replaced sooner. It's not because the technology is what makes a car function or desirable for all or a majority of consumers. It's a novelty, a luxury, that some may decide to pay an increased cost for.

Also you are not considering what a rational actor who looks at the full cost and benefit of the tech.
If you asked rational people if they wanted more technology in the car then the majority might say yes.
If you say that there are downsides, such as failures, faulty screens, lag, or essential controls routed through the technology that may be vulnerable to failure then I'm sure a lot less would demand this tech.
If you say that this technology will also make cars depreciate more, and be outdated in 2 years time, and maybe not even capable of updating (like slowed down iphones), then I'm sure even less would demand this tech.
If you say that this will also increase the cost of purchasing, cost of ownership, cost of repairs, I'm sure your pool of rational customers would get smaller.

The car companies are only doing the former, they're only advertising (see-brainwashing) you to believe that the technology is only to your benefit when it's actually to theirs.
Dbuster likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post
There is a reason why the strippers that enthusiasts like yourself are a fan of are mostly fleet sales.
This made me lol.

But seriously, since when is wanting something that you pay for to function mean I'm an "enthusiast".

Who made up that ford "statistic", a focus group? That sounds like a line they would pitch at the board meeting.

Does the fact that I bought a Jeep with Uconnect mean that sale of that vehicle can be attributed to the fact that it has a touchscreen? No. So you can't go by sales numbers etc. You don't know what was the deciding factor in all purchases. In some, maybe many cases, it was technology.

Though, I'm sure the FCA board meeting they will be talking about how great of a success the Uconnect system has been, and how awesome sales numbers have been since they put it in their vehicles.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 04-14-2018, 12:22 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 27
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
Who made up that ford "statistic", a focus group? That sounds like a line they would pitch at the board meeting.
Well, if you are not happy with that statistic, look no further than your own poll. So far only one person wished there was no infotainment system at all. Sure there are another four who wished it only controlled media functions but together those are still less than the ten who are satisfied. No this is not some wide reaching poll that sampled a representative sample of all drivers but it still has meaning.
zsc1991 is offline  
post #21 of 43 Old 04-14-2018, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsc1991 View Post
Well, if you are not happy with that statistic, look no further than your own poll. So far only one person wished there was no infotainment system at all. Sure there are another four who wished it only controlled media functions but together those are still less than the ten who are satisfied. No this is not some wide reaching poll that sampled a representative sample of all drivers but it still has meaning.
Can't say that I'm surprised that the majority of jeep owners who post on internet forums are satisfied with the technology in their car.

There is a concept called tyranny of the majority. Some would rather that you have freedom and choice in products. Offer cars with tech for those who value it, and offer cars without for those who don't. That would be the reasonable thing to do. Then those of us who don't want it have options.

Others think that everyone should want what they want. They think if you are in the minority you should not have a choice, you should have to want and pay for all of the things that the majority want. Don't like it? Too bad! Your preferences don't matter. If you're in the majority, you may not see any issue with these decisions if the discussion is based on a preference that you like. When you're in the minority you see the error of this line of thinking.

I look at threads where people complain about the start-stop function and it's analogous to the Uconnect/touchscreen control of essential functions. Did they choose the jeep because of this fuel-saving function? Or was it forced on them? Everyone is concerned with saving money and fuel so it's a no-brainer that you all should LOVE the start-stop functionality. Fuel-saving is the number 1 thing that car buyers are interested in according to my paid-focus group. It's new technology that works without any problems of course. Anyone who doesn't like start-stop just isn't using it correctly What if start-stop is standard in all vehicles in 2020? I'm sure that many would not be happy with this. Should they be told they must have this as not optional but standard if a majority of car buyers think it conserves fuel?

I never said YOU or any others should not be able to have technology in cars. If that is what you want, then you should have the option. If you like it, then enjoy it. I don't and I won't.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #22 of 43 Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 128
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of things that "should not" happen in cars.

I turn on the jeep and put in reverse and sometimes I see the back-up camera lags. Like it will freeze on a frame and then jump to live. That's dangerous lag, so I've stopped looking at that silly screen while backing, and just do it the old fashioned way. It's just garbage. The sensors beep when there's nothing behind the car but raindrops. None of this supposed awesome game-changing tech works.

When the car comes on sometimes the USB isn't being detected or the climate control is out of whack b/c it decided to change itself to 82įF. I will think I'm pushing one of those buttons along the bottom to fix it but the screen doesn't change. Then I will push again and on the 3rd time it will change screens.





You can blame me and say that I'm not "touching them correctly", but to me that just sounds like some excuse that cellphone salespeople say in defense of crappy laggy touchscreen phones. I've never had this issue with physical buttons in any car ever.
My point was to say that your system is faulty if you are experiencing lag. I do not believe its user error as others have stated. This car is plagued by electrical gremlins and yours just happen to be different than others.

You say you don't want to take it to a dealership, but you are only punishing yourself. Everything is routed through the uconnect system, so why not have them repair or replace it so it works as intended? You may just need a reboot or a screen recalibration (all of which I recently learned can be done in a few short minutes through the uconnect screen without any special tools or anything connected.)
dannydeez is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydeez View Post
My point was to say that your system is faulty if you are experiencing lag. I do not believe its user error as others have stated. This car is plagued by electrical gremlins and yours just happen to be different than others.

You say you don't want to take it to a dealership, but you are only punishing yourself. Everything is routed through the uconnect system, so why not have them repair or replace it so it works as intended? You may just need a reboot or a screen recalibration (all of which I recently learned can be done in a few short minutes through the uconnect screen without any special tools or anything connected.)
again this is the "jeepcares" put-out-fires mentality. The issue that I raise is not "my jeep is malfunctioning and I'm angry!!!!". I was providing those specific cases that I experience only as examples in response to people who appear to be irked that not all are pleased what they love.

The point I'm making is when you read the issues on the forums here, across the board, besides the growling from the rear, a lot of the issues are with the Uconnect and the fact that essential systems are routed through it. So yes, everyone who has issues may be able to get them fixed, one-by-one, by bringing it in to dealerships. There are many in those other threads who have brought it in and still have no resolution. I don't believe in 'gremlins', and I also don't believe that bringing a car into a dealer to have the operating system repaired/replaced is an acceptable solution to this issue as a whole.

My point is that we should be given the option to have the tech or not. If you don't want to deal with all the bad things that go along with the added technology, then you should not be forced to pay to have it added to the vehicle, and have a number of essential systems routed through it.

To me, and some others, it adds no value. The cost (whether in dollars on the sticker price, or headache of the additional points of failure) of adding that system is greater than the benefit received. I would much rather the 5-10 thousand that they add to the price be put to a feature/option that I would value, such as a sunroof, or roofrack or a spare tire kit etc. It's just fundamental economics.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 04-14-2018, 12:01 PM
jim
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
My point is that we should be given the option to have the tech or not. If you don't want to deal with all the bad things that go along with the added technology, then you should not be forced to pay to have it added to the vehicle, and have a number of essential systems routed through it.

To me, and some others, it adds no value. The cost (whether in dollars on the sticker price, or headache of the additional points of failure) of adding that system is greater than the benefit received. I would much rather the 5-10 thousand that they add to the price be put to a feature/option that I would value, such as a sunroof, or roofrack or a spare tire kit etc. It's just fundamental economics.
Did somebody at Jeep hold a gun to your head? Of course you had a choice. Buy a different Jeep. Buy a different brand of car if you like. Jeep has decided this is how they’re going to run their business, nobody is forcing you to be their customer.

If everyone else making cars was using a different approach, you could say Jeep has made a mistake and their engineers should get back to work. There clearly isn’t a market for it, or somebody would be serving it. Where there’s money to be made, there’s a company chasing it.
jim is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 04-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 9
 
The issue with Uconnect isnít that it controls all the systems, because the reality is that all cars are this way now, the issue is it isnít reliable at providing that control to the user.

Yes, having analog controls for the heated seats etc etc would make the car better because the screen based system you interface with is flaky.

When we bought the car after a fairly lengthy test drive, we liked the car and how it works. It is only after having the car on cold mornings and hot afternoons that we find out that the system is not the reliable system we expect and deserve as owners and users.

The Uconnect system, like Fordís Sync system, is a large part of the interface to the car and as a result much of the owners user experience centers around the system.

It all comes down to reliability, we bought the car with the system with the expectation that it was reliable and the software behind it would work as expected. We can and should express our disappointment with the lack of reliability and poor human interface issues. No one put a gun to our head to buy the car, we bought the car with the understandable expectation that we would receive fair service for the money we exchanged, it is only after owning the car that one finds out that all isnít rosy with the system. Yes we had a choice but one could rightly argue that we also were not presented with all the facts around what we were making a choice about.

Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat save a ton of money by pushing the interface from buttons you can push with lights that show they state of the controlled element, to a screen based set of virtual buttons. They need to invest some of that money in truely ensuring the product is reliable and provides a great user experience which starts with reliability and progresses through how one works the system.

Overall I am fine with the interface, it would be nice if you could more easily move to different modes of control without having to go through so many sub menus, providing direct links through the interface using icons would markedly improve the experience so I could actually go from the stereo directly to the heated seats instead of through the HVAC to the heated seats and steering wheel. Additionally certain controls should never be buried deep into the interface, the defroster for the heated rear window should always be a physical button just like the wipers or turn signals as drilling down through the interface to turn on the defroster in the winter with big clunky gloves is beyond stupid.

The reliability, CarPlay in particular, not so much.

Just ordered a Compass Lattitude, Blue Pearl Metallic, 6sp manual, towing, convenience, safety, lighting, cold weather due early April 2018
WMLattitude is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 04-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Member
 
Snow White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 59
 
Garage
When I first got my Compass, I had an issue with the infotainment system freezing up. Luckily, a SW update fixed the issue. Havenít had any problems with it since.
Snow White is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Did somebody at Jeep hold a gun to your head? Of course you had a choice.
Did I have a choice? Here's some quotes from this thread...


it controls all the systems, because the reality is that all cars are this way now

Just don’t like technology in general, fine and great if that works for you, just don’t use it

If you don't want it, not a problem. You buy an older car

There clearly isn’t a market for it, or somebody would be serving it.

they want more of everything and that includes electronics.

If auto makers made vehicles without the tech, they would not sell many cars.

Way more people want the tech, and therefore tech sells.


Hello majority, tyranny is thy name...

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
joninpa is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 04-16-2018, 02:32 PM
jim
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
Hello majority, tyranny is thy name...
Tyranny would be saying that manufacturers have to make a car that they’ll lose money on. You’re the tyrant.
jim is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old 04-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Member
 
ua_who's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 71
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
Did I have a choice? Here's some quotes from this thread...


it controls all the systems, because the reality is that all cars are this way now

Just donít like technology in general, fine and great if that works for you, just donít use it

If you don't want it, not a problem. You buy an older car

There clearly isnít a market for it, or somebody would be serving it.

they want more of everything and that includes electronics.

If auto makers made vehicles without the tech, they would not sell many cars.

Way more people want the tech, and therefore tech sells.


Hello majority, tyranny is thy name...

I think I'm getting what you're saying. You want a NEW car, with old tech. Reliable, warranty, etc.... but without the gadgets.

I can understand that. But I don't feel too sorry for you. Because the "tyranny of the majority" is what sells things, and the manufacturer's make what they can sell the most of.
If you can find one that makes the unique or one-off that a small minority wants, you have to be willing to pay a premium to get it. You pay a premium for the lack of profitability built into the product, not necessarily for the product itself.

2017 Compass limited 4x4
ua_who is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old 04-16-2018, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 65
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
This made me lol.

But seriously, since when is wanting something that you pay for to function mean I'm an "enthusiast".

Who made up that ford "statistic", a focus group? That sounds like a line they would pitch at the board meeting.

Does the fact that I bought a Jeep with Uconnect mean that sale of that vehicle can be attributed to the fact that it has a touchscreen? No. So you can't go by sales numbers etc. You don't know what was the deciding factor in all purchases. In some, maybe many cases, it was technology.

Though, I'm sure the FCA board meeting they will be talking about how great of a success the Uconnect system has been, and how awesome sales numbers have been since they put it in their vehicles.
I said that Because Fields specifically outlined that higher electronics brought more value to a given car and that staying ahead of everyone else in attainable technology allowed them to sell more cars at better margins. Most people like nav, lots of people like quick menu's for quick changes or more granular controls. Maybe a lot don't wanted to go head first into the touch screen being 100% responsible for everything, but that's the future. Just look at Tesla, all information, even normal dash information is driven completely from a large tablet in the center of the car. Ram just launched a new 1500 with tons of upgrades, number one thing brought up? The 12 inch infotainment display. These are the new smart phones.
Topweasel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome