Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit

How many others have an issue with the "Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit" feature? I know this has been partially discussed in another thread, but I was hoping for a little more visibility. I have the feature turned on in the Uconnect settings, but it simply does not work as intended for me. I can get it to work if I put the ignition in ACC, manually lock the doors, press start button again (turn off ACC), and open a door. If I start the car, manually lock the doors, stop the car, and open a door, it will not unlock all doors. It's kind of a first-world problem I suppose, but I think it used to work the first day or so I had the car and now it just annoys me. I've tried resetting things in Uconnect, unhooking the battery for a few hours, etc, and nothing has made it work again after the engine has run.

I will likely take it in to the dealer, but this doesn't seem like a quick/straightforward fix and I'd like to hear other experiences (or that it's user error ) before taking it in. Thanks!

From 2018 owners manual:

Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit
The doors will unlock automatically on vehicles with power door locks if:
  1. The Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit feature is enabled. Check
  2. All doors are closed. Check
  3. The transmission gear selector was not in PARK, then is placed in PARK. Have a manual transmission...car is stopped and have tested in first/reverse or neutral, parking brake applied after driving
  4. Any door is opened. Check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM

I have consistently gotten it to work by doing these steps over the last week so sample size ~10.

1. Park the car
2. While still on the brakes, enable electronic brake. (This I don't believe is a requirement).
3. Let off brake.
4. Gather everything I need to leave my car (pop, glasses, and so on).
5. Ignition off
6. Within seconds of ignition off open door.

Worth noting I have a dashcam and have been testing it against it auto turning off, for the doors to work I generally have to open it before it has turned all the way off. I haven't timed working vs. not working and I have the stereo set to stay on 20 minutes or the door is opened. But I am guessing anything more than maybe 20-30 seconds after ignition off isn't going to work.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-17-2018, 05:26 AM

My unlocking works consistently when opening my driver door while the car is on (eg. Put in park, open door, then press ignition button. Very nature sequence, i know...).
Also, If I turn the car off, my car will typically unlock all doors if i open my door within 3-4 seconds.

I can imagine the security benefit of this method. Unlocking doors when you put your car in park (like most cars) makes you susceptible to unwelcome visitors coming in the car while the car is still on, pointing a gun to your head, and telling you to drive...

However the "time out" for the unlocking when the car is off needs to be atleast a good 20 seconds. I drove a renegade for a few days and it seemed to work more like this. I didnt specifically test, but in the renegade i could turn off the car, spend a good several seconds sending a txt, open the door, and all the doors would unlock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba View Post
My unlocking works consistently when opening my driver door while the car is on (eg. Put in park, open door, then press ignition button. Very nature sequence, i know...).
Also, If I turn the car off, my car will typically unlock all doors if i open my door within 3-4 seconds.

I can imagine the security benefit of this method. Unlocking doors when you put your car in park (like most cars) makes you susceptible to unwelcome visitors coming in the car while the car is still on, pointing a gun to your head, and telling you to drive...

However the "time out" for the unlocking when the car is off needs to be atleast a good 20 seconds. I drove a renegade for a few days and it seemed to work more like this. I didnt specifically test, but in the renegade i could turn off the car, spend a good several seconds sending a txt, open the door, and all the doors would unlock
Yeah the time out is a killer, today I actually needed to grab something from the back seat. I decided to wait just a few seconds, about the time my dashcam went black, so maybe 10 seconds at most. The rest of the doors didn't unlock. It's a quirk I am not worried about, but it would be nice if it was a little longer longer than it is now, 5-10 seconds isn't a whole lot of time between engine off and opening the door.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-18-2018, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

I don't believe it's timing out in my case. I've gotten out quickly, waited various times, opened with the engine running, etc, and it never unlocks the doors. The Uconnect setting doesn't seem to do anything. I guess I'll head to a dealership and see if they are able to help. Thanks all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 04-18-2018, 01:50 PM

EDITS: Originally I was unable to get the unlock all to work while the jeep was off. After further testing I found conditions that need to be met.

The Conditions that I have gotten the unlock all to work is:

-Your foot cannot be on the clutch (I tried in all method of gears, and with and without foot on clutch in neutral and I think clutch may disable it).

-You cannot be moving (I tried at 10 and 30 mph, it seems to be disabled when the jeep is moving, safety first).

-Open the driver door, forcefully.

Edit again: After testing for a few drives around the parking lot after work I found that I can repeatedly get the unlock all to work.

If you turn off the jeep, then come off the clutch, despite being in any gear it should work.
Parking brake shouldn't matter, but mine is on "automatic" so it comes on when the jeep is turned off.

I have tried in 1st gear and reverse right after I turned the jeep off and it worked.
I have tried in neutral while off the clutch when the jeep is on and it worked.

The door sensor seems to be when the door is opened more than just a little bit. If you just open the door a crack, it's the only one that unlocks, then if you open further the others don't unlock. If you push the driver door open forcefully after you turned the jeep off, and you're not on the clutch it should work.

Note: I also have passive entry (all doors) enabled so if yours is not working still, try enabling this.

Alternatively you can just hit the unlock button on the driver door. But that's sooooo 2005.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual

Last edited by joninpa; 04-18-2018 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Delete a lot after more testing.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2018, 01:22 AM

Add: I tried a few more times on my ride home today. 4/5 times using reverse and turning the jeep off I could get it to work. 2/5 times using 1st to park and turning the jeep off I got it to work. It seems to be finicky, and there may be some other condition that needs to be met.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-19-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
Alternatively you can just hit the unlock button on the driver door. But that's sooooo 2005.
Ha, that's what I've been doing. Thanks for testing and reporting back. I have my settings the same as you it sounds like, but it hasn't worked for me at all since the first day I got it. The only time it unlocks all doors when opening a door is when I go from off to ACC, lock the doors, and back to off. I'd be happy if it was just some setting I was missing, but I've been through everything several times.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-19-2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira2 View Post
Ha, that's what I've been doing. Thanks for testing and reporting back. I have my settings the same as you it sounds like, but it hasn't worked for me at all since the first day I got it. The only time it unlocks all doors when opening a door is when I go from off to ACC, lock the doors, and back to off. I'd be happy if it was just some setting I was missing, but I've been through everything several times.

Well 2 things. I found that testing it out while just sitting in a parking spot was not enough. Driving across a parking lot did something.

2nd, I first found out that the clutch disabled it b/c I could only get the 'unlock all' to work when the Jeep was on. Start out drive the jeep at least enough to get the auto locks to engage. come to a stop, with jeep still on, in neutral, off the clutch, not moving, open the door forcefully. You can be on the brake or the EPB. I could get that to work almost every time.

with Jeep off, is still hit or miss. I don't know why it's so finicky.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2018, 04:24 PM

I have basically decided both opening from inside and outside the car to unlock the other doors only works when the car is running. It didn't click in my head that every time it worked I was remote starting because it had been so cold I had always been remote starting the car. Also when getting in from outside you need to grab the door handle and wait a moment for the drivers door to unlock and then pull on the handle and the others will then unlock. Opening from inside the car only works when the Car is off is if you open the door as it's going through the shutdown process.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-09-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Driven the car quite a bit now, and the only way the doors have ever unlocked themselves is if I put it in neutral, let clutch pedal out, shut off engine, and open the door (doesn't seem to matter if I put it back into gear after the engine is off). Easier to just manually unlock them at that point. Assuming it'll require a software update to make it so you can just shut the car off leaving it in whatever gear, open the door, and have them all unlock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in