• 1 Post By airwolf39
  • 1 Post By 10-64
  • 1 Post By airwolf39

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Roof top Tent?

Hi all,

My Thule aeroblade cross bars (rated at 165 lbs) are arriving today. But I'm having a difficult time finding a proper roof top tent. I nearly went with Yakima but the reviews at REI scared me away. The Front Runner is an obvious choice but they dont make a rack for the Compass. Any ideas? I plan on taking it on/off every weekend. So the annoying nuts, bots, torque wrench, bloody knuckles.. i would prefer to avoid. Yakima had a fancy attachment system that i really liked, but the tent does not appear to be waterproof.

Thanks,

Brian

EDIT: Went with Smittybuilt. Video Below:
arudlang and katrinacop like this.

Last edited by airwolf39; 07-03-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 03:59 PM

I don't feel like the roof/rack is strong enough for a person to be up there. The manual says 150 pounds evenly distributed, and part of this is surely rated with the vehicle actually traveling in mind but still, have you ever washed the roof? The push for ever lighter vehicles has caused them to build it as flimsy as possible. There is reasonable strength at the pillars spread out by the rails but compared to the SUV I had prior to this these rails are pretty much just for looks. I'd be concerned that moving around shifting any amount of weight to one point regularly and pretty soon the rails will loosen up on you. I think two kayaks are about the most they ever intended to be up there and kayaks do not shift, or toss and turn, or climb on and off, etc. And two kayaks barely make up the weight of one small person...

I think you'd be better served by a regular ground tent, or a small trailer. The roofs of these things are just not work-duty.

10-64 likes this.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It is 150 LBS dynamic weight. Static is up towards 600 lbs. So it should be fine with a tent weighing under 115 lbs.
katrinacop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 07:13 PM

Garage
few things I would question about doing that
1) how are you getting up and down from the roof?
2) how comfortable are you up there really?
3) isn't it better to put storage up there and if you need to use your interior for emergency camping and a tent outside for regular camping?

I thought it looked neat and has advantages for those who want to be "above" the ground - but the more I thought about getting up and down I decided to not get one myself.

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
Old 04-27-2018, 02:17 PM

Hi @airwolf39,

Here is a quality roof tent for 2 people that features a ladder to get in, as well as mounting poles and frame:
Smittybilt overlander coyote roof tent at CARiD
There is also an optional tent annex available, just check product options if you are interested.

Feel free to contact us directly if you need any help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep Compass
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 |
|
|

Last edited by CARiD; 04-30-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:52 PM

Garage
CARiD comes through again - now that is a neat option - and I like the solid flooring on that tent plus the ladder away from the vehicle.

Seeing the secure points to steady helps too!

darn it - now I have to think about those again......

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
What about the MOPAR tent that fits the rear of the vehicle, allowing you to utilize the rear of your vehicle, with the tent out the back?

https://www.justforjeeps.com/tent.html

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-8367311...ep-tent-38.jpg

Last edited by 10-64; 04-27-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARiD View Post
Hi @airwolf39,

Here is a quality roof tent for 2 people that features a ladder to get in, as well as mounting poles and frame:
Smittybilt overlander coyote roof tent ar CARiD
There is also an optional tent annex available, just check product options if you are interested.

Feel free to contact us directly if you need any help!
Hi,

Thanks for the link. The only issue i have with that RTT is the mounting system. I plan on taking my RTT on/off every weekend. I wish Smittybuilt and Yakima could have a baby with the Smittybuilt quality and the Yakima attachment system.

Edit: I ended up ordering a Smittybult. I will keep everyone updated of the results once it comes in (early May).
CARiD likes this.

Last edited by airwolf39; 04-28-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 AM

My wife and I discussed this when she first saw these tents. There are several pro's and cons, and I'd be interested in hearing from owners of roof top tents on some functionality.

Pros that I can see:
don't have to worry about pitching on the ground, can avoid rocks, roots etc.
don't have to spend time "pitching" the tent, most have quick setup. However, like @airwolf39 says he wants to take it on and off every weekend, so this "mounting time" may cancel out the lack of pitching time.
You can have an extra layer of separation from critters. Of course bears and cougars can still get up there easily. I think that you may have an easier time avoiding other things like snakes or skunks.
You have that "wow" factor, when you roll into the campground, your tent is on your roof....man!

Here are some Cons/questions that I have:

When we go camping usually we set the tent up camp at a site, then we will go and do things, sight see etc. With this roof top tent this means you have to take it down and put it back up every time you want to go out. Sometimes we just need to go to the corner shop for some eggs or milk really quick. Or take the trash down to the dumpsters at the campground. Having a tent strapped to the roof of your car makes this type of thing tricky. Similar to RVs.

When I pitch a tent, we usually spend some time finding a good spot. This spot needs to have a lot of space void of roots and rocks, not a problem with a roof top tent. Also though, you want this spot to be relatively flat. A lot of times this can be done with some finesse. What happens if you can't find a flat spot to park the jeep? That means you're tent will be on a tilt. When you sleep on a tilt on the ground, worst thing is you wind up in a ball in your sleeping bag at one side of the tent. This happens to one of my daughters no matter how slight the tilt may be. What happens when your jeep is on a tilt and you move to the edge of this tent, that is 5 feet off the ground?

About "pitching" these types of tents. Is this something that you take it off the roof, set it up, and put it on top of the roof again and secure it? Or do these things stay attached to the roof while you set them up? Not that it's "that big of a deal" but this thing weighs about 150 lbs, so it's not exactly as light as your normal 4-8 lb tent. Having to hoist that thing up and down will definitely take a few people. If you leave it attached and set it up on the roof, how easy is this to do? Do you need the ladder to do it? Or do you climb up on top of the tires or something?

Is the roof actually able to support that? This question was raised by others. I get it, the book says that it's fine. But if you bust your roof b/c you put one of these tents on there, is that damage covered under warranty? Or would you have to pay to fix it yourself? How many people have owned one of these on top of a compass? I always see pictures of them on beefed up off-road wranglers with huge rollcage bars and such. Are these going to work on stock cross bars etc?

This tent is on your jeep, on the shocks/springs right? So when one person moves the entire thing moves? So when one person has to get up does this shake the whole jeep? This would bother me or any other light sleepers.

Being not-so-nimble anymore, I don't like the thought of my wife or I having to climb down a ladder in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I guess some young folk this is a non-issue. Maybe after having owned it this would become second nature, but to me just getting up out of a sleeping bag, opening a zipper and getting outside is enough complication.

Speaking of ladder, where do you leave your shoes? We have a vestibule in our previous tent and we leave the shoes outside. Bringing muddy/dirty shoes into our tent is a no-no. Do you leave your shoes at the bottom of the ladder? or is there somewhere at the top of the ladder?

It's very tall. Height is something to think about. Besides low-hanging branches that may be in your campsite, many times when camping there is very adverse weather and I will setup an additional tarp above the tent, as "waterproof" rainflys are not actually "waterproof". Every material has its breaking point, and a good old fashioned supplementary blue tarp has kept us dry for many years. Setting this type of thing up over a normal size 6-7 foot tall tent is one thing, but with this 4 foot tent on top of the jeep that will add some difficultly.

Finally, $900 is about 3x the cost of a GOOD - meaning really nice - 4 person tent. I've been shopping for a new 4 person tent and the good ones are 250-300$. is having it on the roof really worth 3x the price?

To me the roof top tent seems like a gimmick. If you're young and agile, have plenty of disposable income, and just want to tour around with a significant other and spend only 1 night in any spot while you vagabond around seeing the sights I guess it could be fun. I don't see something like this suiting my camping needs, and I'll stay on the ground with the snakes and skunks. I have too many questions about the roof top tent, and not enough assurance that it's going to make camping any easier.

Plus when I do want to get "above" things, I just set up my hammock and it's very easy to tie one of those between the roof-rack and a tree.
arudlang likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
Old 05-03-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Joinpa,

Apologies for the late reply - been super busy.

Time savings:

- It takes 5 minutes to pitch the tent and fold up the tent. So if i have to leave because i forgot to grab beer (unlikely), no biggie.
- I do intend to remove the tent from the vehicle every weekend. The Skytent has non-tool required speed clamps for quick assembly/dissasembly. I was scared away from it due to leaking issues. For all the other tents, use a powered ratchet. That will save a TON of time and bloody knuckles.

Leveling:

You can use light weight blocks to drive up on to level your vehicle if need be. Or park where the incline is upward towards your head for optimal comfort.

Weight:

The MP is rated for 150lbs dynamic weight. I used Thule crossbars rated at 165lbs ($650) to be extra safe. The tent weighs no more than 120lbs fully kitted out. Static weight is what the tent can hold stationary; A good thumb of measure is 4x the dynamic weight. That would be 600 lbs. If your tent was to become unhinged because you suck at tightening things down, the warranty will not cover if damage occurs.

Springs:

Great question. I would imagine that the jeep would move a little when using the ladder. But my wife and I go to bed at the same time. Obviously peeing at night would be where this would get put to the test... i wonder if i can be on my knees and piss out the front door... I will test it out for *science*.

Shoes:

There is a bag attached to the base platform of the tent by the ladder.

Rainfly:

They make them, im ordering one. Reviews say you do not need one for this tent as it is 100% rain proof. I am not going to risk it. Ideally, we would attempt to spend our weekends in good weather. But we all know how fast that can change.

Price:

It comes down to convenience. The roof top tent comes with a 3" mattress, sleeping bags, pillows, etc already in the tent ready to go. 5 minute setup and you're done. I have nothing against ground tents but it is more time consuming. In theory you could put a ground tent and all the stuff in a roof basket... but you are still talking about a much longer setup time. We want to get to our site, throw it up in 10 minutes tops (tables and all) and get down to the beach. We also do not intent to be at any one site more than a day or 2. Driving 24 hours out west sucks. It does not suck at much to drive 8 hours at a time and camp along the way.
katrinacop likes this.

Last edited by airwolf39; 05-03-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
bump for the video
Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf39 View Post
bump for the video
katrinacop likes this.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:22 AM

Garage
sorry, but could you please tell me which Thule mounting Kit you ordered for the compass? I've got the Wingbars but missing the mounting Kit.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxmac View Post
sorry, but could you please tell me which Thule mounting Kit you ordered for the compass? I've got the Wingbars but missing the mounting Kit.
Sure: https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-...rs?q=3vD3Dkffz

Thule AeroBlade Edge 7602
Thule AeroBlade Edge 7601
KIT3164
katrinacop likes this.

Last edited by airwolf39; 07-04-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:49 PM

Garage
Thank you very much!
Old 07-05-2018, 06:41 AM

Wow! Awesome! Now you got me thinking! Thanks for the great vid!

2018 Sport FWD
Old 07-05-2018, 06:48 AM

Wouldnt it be cool to deploy both tents at the same time?!! Like a townhouse lol

2018 Sport FWD
Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 AM

are the trailhawks higher than the other trims? if they are, how much higher?
Old 07-06-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredmeadow View Post
are the trailhawks higher than the other trims? if they are, how much higher?
I believe it has an 1 inch integrated lift. I intended on lifting it another 1.5 inches with an aftermarket kit early next year. I would do it now, but my house & pole barn isnt finished until December.

KO2s would look sick on my trailhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in