Fuel filling overflow - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Snow White
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
 
Fuel filling overflow

2018 jeep compass latitude 4x4

Today when filling up my compass gas suddenly began to overflow from the fill hole. After releasing the filler lever I verified that the nozzle was inserted all the way. Next I checked the fuel gauge level and it showed that the tank was only halfway full when the overflow occurred. Any thoughts as to what may have caused this would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Cactus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Subscribing Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 29
 
My first thought is "Why didn't the pump nozzle automatically shut off rather than overflow."
Were you able to finish filling without further problems?
newsnose is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-10-2018, 04:08 AM
Member
 
Snow White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 60
 
Garage
I had a different fuel filling issue. When I would try to fill up the tank, the gas pump nozzle would click/stop as if the tank was full when it was not. I ended up going to the dealership to have it checked out. They found a bad check valve in the filler neck, so they replaced the entire filler neck.
Snow White is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 389
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
2018 jeep compass latitude 4x4

Today when filling up my compass gas suddenly began to overflow from the fill hole. After releasing the filler lever I verified that the nozzle was inserted all the way. Next I checked the fuel gauge level and it showed that the tank was only halfway full when the overflow occurred. Any thoughts as to what may have caused this would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Hi Cactus,
We're glad you reached out with this. We would like to hear more about it and see if there is any opportunity for us to assist. Please send us a private message with additional details so we can get started.
Julie
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 43
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
I had a different fuel filling issue. When I would try to fill up the tank, the gas pump nozzle would click/stop as if the tank was full when it was not. I ended up going to the dealership to have it checked out. They found a bad check valve in the filler neck, so they replaced the entire filler neck.
Did that fix the problem?

I had the same issue, took it in, they said Jeep hadn't come out with a fix for a "faulty filler neck" and then a few months passed I called Jeep and they said they had no records that that was even an issue.

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
eboogz is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 08-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 47
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboogz View Post
Did that fix the problem?

I had the same issue, took it in, they said Jeep hadn't come out with a fix for a "faulty filler neck" and then a few months passed I called Jeep and they said they had no records that that was even an issue.
Would also be interested in exactly what they did. It doesn't happen often, but I've had it happen 3 or 4 times at different gas stations. Kind of annoying.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
moira2 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 03:54 AM
Member
 
Snow White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 60
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboogz View Post
Did that fix the problem?

I had the same issue, took it in, they said Jeep hadn't come out with a fix for a "faulty filler neck" and then a few months passed I called Jeep and they said they had no records that that was even an issue.
Yep, it fixed the problem.
Snow White is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 03:57 AM
Member
 
Snow White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 60
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moira2 View Post
Would also be interested in exactly what they did. It doesn't happen often, but I've had it happen 3 or 4 times at different gas stations. Kind of annoying.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Here is the info from my service paperwork. Hope it helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8DF48D65-185F-404F-8AB0-2C75CEB354F2.jpg (37.7 KB, 41 views)
moira2 and mexsoy like this.
Snow White is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 01:47 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
 
Not to bring up old memories but just realized my 18 Compass wasn't registering a full tank. At full it was about 3/4 on the dash. It was mention something wrong with the fuel neck. Would gas pump nozzles damage it? Or do they just go out? 18 Compass Latitude 2.4L 4x4. 24300 miles.
Trebor998 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 11-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: california
Posts: 198
 
Garage
That valve is important for venting out vapors into the canister. If plugged the air pressure pushes the fuel back up the filler tube.
jeepney_driver is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome