• 1 Post By RustyPage
  • 2 Post By Wolfy
  • 1 Post By REVIGOR
  • 1 Post By jasleth
  • 1 Post By jasleth

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 05-24-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

No more fish bowl

I decided that it was long overdue to take care of one thing that I like to do to all of my vehicles. Fixing the not-tinted status of the front two. The difference is day and night on the heat coming into the Jeep, which is one of my reasons - besides it looking nice - to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep tinted.jpg (89.6 KB, 95 views)
Gregors and airwolf39 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 PM

Sweet that is on my to do list! Now I know about how our Spitfire Hawk will look once I get it done. How dark did you go and how was the cost? Sadly I have to do tint that is Virginia state legal as we live not far from the border and go there often so more than 50% side front windows including any factory tint present in the windows.
10-64 likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-25-2018, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
Sweet that is on my to do list! Now I know about how our Spitfire Hawk will look once I get it done. How dark did you go and how was the cost? Sadly I have to do tint that is Virginia state legal as we live not far from the border and go there often so more than 50% side front windows including any factory tint present in the windows.
We have the same limit here, so I promptly ignored it and put 35% on. Tint laws are something that the various city, county, and state moffias by and large only use to stack fines. Behave going down the road, and you're fine with a step darker. Go limo, and you'll simply get busted. Most cops simply don't have the time to chase tint that looks like it "might" be a bit dark, but they can still see you in the car.

The job cost me $64 bucks and they did it immediately. I was expecting to have to schedule a day to go in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-25-2018, 09:52 PM

Looks good! I have to do mine as well.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-26-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
We have the same limit here, so I promptly ignored it and put 35% on. Tint laws are something that the various city, county, and state moffias by and large only use to stack fines. Behave going down the road, and you're fine with a step darker. Go limo, and you'll simply get busted. Most cops simply don't have the time to chase tint that looks like it "might" be a bit dark, but they can still see you in the car.

The job cost me $64 bucks and they did it immediately. I was expecting to have to schedule a day to go in

I wish the cops in Bristol VA were laid back like that with tint laws but they are crazy. It has been on the news a few times how often they are pulling people over and writing tickets just for tint. Many of them are legal tint film but when added to windows with that tiny amount of solar guard built into the glass there meters show it as like 5% to dark and they ticket you for just that 5%. It is about how much they can collect in fines for stupid stuff.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-26-2018, 12:32 AM

Iíve done 15% all around 30% to the windshield, problems solved all around.
REVIGOR likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-26-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclez View Post
I currently have 15% and I like it, but I'm unsure on doing the windshield. I might do 50%.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclez View Post
I've always tinted my windows, but, "the windshield"???? Come on! That's just asking for trouble
post #9 of 19 Old 05-26-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-64 View Post
I've always tinted my windows, but, "the windshield"???? Come on! That's just asking for trouble

I have to say itís not as bad as youíd expect. I own a business and all our vehicles are tinted all around. Itís only been maybe 2 times in the 4-5 years ever being bothered. Most police donít bother us. We usually say we have a lot of high end gear in the trucks and donít want people to see inside.

Hey itís a 50-50 shot, the vehicles do look super clean all tinted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 19 Old 05-31-2018, 12:48 AM

I’ve had mine tinted for 3 years now. 5% all the way around. Love it! Especially during the summer months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C96C9E52-73E3-416E-A06F-2B9B62C06FC1_1527727724195.jpg (36.7 KB, 33 views)
REVIGOR likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-01-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPage View Post
Iíve had mine tinted for 3 years now. 5% all the way around. Love it! Especially during the summer months.
That looks really good. I have 15%, but in a few days, I'm going to make the switch to 5%! Have you gotten any trouble for it? If I were to get it, what I would worry about are state troopers on the highway whenever I travel to another city.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVIGOR View Post
That looks really good. I have 15%, but in a few days, I'm going to make the switch to 5%! Have you gotten any trouble for it? If I were to get it, what I would worry about are state troopers on the highway whenever I travel to another city.
I'll tell you right now NOT to. Laredo, TX? If you aren't being hassled at the level you have now, you're lucky. Texas IS one of those states that does test tint, and you live in an area where that will be used as an excuse to dismantle your car on the side of the road - after they catch you doing 5 over the limit and happens to smell weed inside.
asakaze and REVIGOR like this.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-01-2018, 02:36 PM

What's the factory default on transparency for back seats privacy windows?
I kinda use side-mirrors by night quite often, not so sure about visibility if tinted as rear ones.

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
@
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

post #14 of 19 Old 06-02-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakaze View Post
What's the factory default on transparency for back seats privacy windows?
I kinda use side-mirrors by night quite often, not so sure about visibility if tinted as rear ones.
The rear windows are 20% VLT. If you get 20% on the front to match the rear, you will have no problems with visibility on your side mirrors.
asakaze likes this.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-02-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I'll tell you right now NOT to. Laredo, TX? If you aren't being hassled at the level you have now, you're lucky. Texas IS one of those states that does test tint, and you live in an area where that will be used as an excuse to dismantle your car on the side of the road - after they catch you doing 5 over the limit and happens to smell weed inside.
Thanks for the tip; I do see where you're coming from. Yes, this city is close to the border, and crime is quite high (2 reported drive-by shootings in a week!), but unsurprisingly, all of that only happens in the south! Here in the north, it's a whole different world with all these luxurious gated neighborhoods and very little police presence compared to the south. I have no worries of roaming around with 5% here in the city. I do agree with you that this state is more strict on tint, that's why I would worry about state troopers.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-12-2018, 03:20 AM

Garage
Just got mine done. I told them to match the rear windows and it turned out pretty nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2306.jpg (106.8 KB, 33 views)
post #17 of 19 Old 06-12-2018, 04:30 PM

Garage
People Republic of Commiefornia has stupid tint laws too (you can get fined for having a tiny 1in sticker in the upper left of your windshield wtf....

That said - I opted for Air80 on the Front Windshield - being able to block out UV and IR is my health and safety with a tint that is pretty much clear - they ticket us I go sue them for oppression and lack of concern for health and safety.

Having tint clear enough to see through is for officer safety - I get that - not doing limo all around - no problem - but not allowing a 1in sticker in the top left corner - some moron needs to fix it or be elected out of office.
REVIGOR likes this.

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport
post #18 of 19 Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasleth View Post
People Republic of Commiefornia has stupid tint laws too (you can get fined for having a tiny 1in sticker in the upper left of your windshield wtf....

That said - I opted for Air80 on the Front Windshield - being able to block out UV and IR is my health and safety with a tint that is pretty much clear - they ticket us I go sue them for oppression and lack of concern for health and safety.

Having tint clear enough to see through is for officer safety - I get that - not doing limo all around - no problem - but not allowing a 1in sticker in the top left corner - some moron needs to fix it or be elected out of office.
How is the Air80 on the windshield working for you? Does it make a big difference in heat reduction? I read that the windshield lets in the most heat. I'm getting my windshield tinted with a different heat rejection film in 70% VLT this weekend and I can't wait. It also means that I won't have to wear sunglasses in the car since it'll block UV!
post #19 of 19 Old 06-15-2018, 06:34 PM

Garage
Air80 is a Llumar film from my understanding and it is working beautifully.

Our compass got done first and it made it EASY to tell the difference just putting your hand near the windshield in the Compass, then right next to it hand in windshield in my Cherokee - you can still feel some warmth - but the harshness of it goes completely away.

In all honesty I think it is CRIMINAL that this should be considered illegal. Blocking out IR/UV while remaining substantially clear is the best of all worlds. I agree that there should be a standard such that peeling, bubbling, discoloration - THAT should be a fixit ticket. But to discourage people from getting this done is plain stupid.

Heat rejection is roughly 40% - but the IR/UV blocking is in the 90 percent range. This stuff is fantastic so far.

Long term use and durability just got to wait and see lol.

I did go ahead and get my Cherokee done too - waiting for it to finish curing so I can put my dashcams back up.
REVIGOR likes this.

Proud owners of a new to us certified pre-owned
2017 Jeep Compass 75th Anniversary Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in