Another sidelined mod progresed - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfy
  • 1 Post By dannydeez

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 05-25-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Another sidelined mod progresed

I once again looked at the LED installation situation that I have with mine. Being MUCH warmer it was a lot easer to see what was going on. The ones I bought for the high beams simply interfere with the headlight housing opening in such a way as to prevent them from being seated in their mounting holes, so I need to get a different brand for the highs. The lows were still a bitch, but the warmer weather made things just barely agreeable enough to get them in. The fogs were the usual quick swap thanks to having space. Hey FCA, do you guys deliberately look to design things in such a way as to maximize the PITA factor of simple tasks, and make people take them in to the dealership to do them? It sure seems like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep Leds.jpg (77.0 KB, 66 views)
10-64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-25-2018, 04:25 PM

I did the same swap, minus the high beams. I also put LED's for the DRL, makes the ride look clean.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-25-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hand View Post
I did the same swap, minus the high beams. I also put LED's for the DRL, makes the ride look clean.
Which bulbs did you use for the DRL? Do you have any pics?
10-64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Hey FCA, do you guys deliberately look to design things in such a way as to maximize the PITA factor of simple tasks, and make people take them in to the dealership to do them? It sure seems like it.

This is one of the things I don't like about the new Compass. I looked at headlights on Ebay hoping to see how they come out. Near as I can tell the whole freaking nose has to be removed. I don't see how you can replace all of the bulbs in the headlight assembly without removing the headlights. Very very bad design!!!!
post #5 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I once again looked at the LED installation situation that I have with mine. Being MUCH warmer it was a lot easer to see what was going on. The ones I bought for the high beams simply interfere with the headlight housing opening in such a way as to prevent them from being seated in their mounting holes, so I need to get a different brand for the highs. The lows were still a bitch, but the warmer weather made things just barely agreeable enough to get them in. The fogs were the usual quick swap thanks to having space. Hey FCA, do you guys deliberately look to design things in such a way as to maximize the PITA factor of simple tasks, and make people take them in to the dealership to do them? It sure seems like it.

I bet they do it on purpose itís crazy right? Looks nice though wolfy.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 03:15 PM

Again, nothing on this car was designed or meant for you, the average Joe to ever, ever touch.
And, again, it is literally illegal for you to do so (if you want to get technical). If you want your new bulbs in, let the factory technicians at the dealership carefully, and properly field-strip your front end and install your new lights. Then tjhey will carefully put it back together as if nothing happened.

You all wanted 30MPG and safety and style at the same time. This is the price.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maxwell View Post
Again, nothing on this car was designed or meant for you, the average Joe to ever, ever touch.
And, again, it is literally illegal for you to do so (if you want to get technical). If you want your new bulbs in, let the factory technicians at the dealership carefully, and properly field-strip your front end and install your new lights. Then tjhey will carefully put it back together as if nothing happened.

No this is point blank engineering deliberately designed to piss you off so bad, that you take it in and pay the stealership $500 to replace a $15 bulb. There is no reason for this bracket that bisects the access caps to the bulbs to exist.

On an update on that subject, I went to Summit and found a set of bulbs that would clear the housings. The locking ring on the bulb immediately came undone and fell off inside the housing. It was literally being held in place by contact cement. I got my money back, and back to a search for something that will fit in that stupidly angled housing for the highs. Ugh. Chinese built ****
post #8 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered a set of these for the high beams. They look to be far better built than the ones I returned at Summit.

https://www.amazon.com/JKCOVER-Headl...ht+bulbs&psc=1
post #9 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Maxwell View Post

First off I don't know where you are but here in USA it is not illegal for us to work on our own vehicles but would not doubt money hungry people in auto shops trying to do just that. In fact most modifications we do on our own are actually legal for us to do. Second I feel FCA missed their market somewhat with anything that wears a Jeep nameplate. Do we want more fuel efficiency,style and capability. Yes of course but Jeep owners also tend to be wrench spinners and want to be able to do anything from simple maintenance to more major work if so inclined. Even if you can't or don't want to get your hands dirty with repair/maintenance keeping things simple means a much smaller bill when you need to take your ride to the shop.

I have yet to replace my headlight bulbs they look like a nightmare for someone with big hands even worse for someone like myself with both big hands and limited movement in my wrist from breaks that required hardware. But maybe they are not as bad as they look. However a couple bolts,pins or clips to remove the entire housing as many manufacturers have would make this job a breeze for the consumer. I'll add many of these vehicles with easy to remove headlights look a heck of a lot sleeker than a Compass and some cost much more.

In fact the more time I spend with our Compass the more overly complicated I see it being for what it is. There is a lot of things designed in ways to make them more difficult to work on for no reason whatsoever than to keep FCA service dept. well fed. This might be fine for many more high end markets where rich people don't mind it costing 65- 100 bucks to replace a cheap halogen bulb. The rest of us like the ones that still pump our own gas no so much.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 10:04 PM

I like the ones I have they seem to be functioning well.

CougarMotor LED Headlight Bulbs All-in-One Conversion Kit - 9005 -7,200Lm 6000K Cool White CREE - 3 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6NZ6F2..._NM9ReSQ6IUryu
post #11 of 13 Old 05-26-2018, 11:08 PM

Turn your wheels all the way and remove the front 3 screws on the wheel liner. Pull it back a little and you can access all bulbs from there. I've done it several times
post #12 of 13 Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 PM

Open your owner's manual.. it clearly tells you how to change the bulbs. It's not that hard and does not require a trip to the dealer.. turn wheel, remove 4 bolts, pull liner back, reach up and remove bulb, same as DRL and fogs.

The caliber *required* full bumper removal just for the turn bulb.. manual even stated just take it to the dealer for servicing. Even then the bumper wasn't that bad to remove but annoying for a $2 bulb.

Switching headlamps completely does require bumper removal as the bumper clips into sections of the headlamp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #13 of 13 Old 06-02-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
Open your owner's manual.. it clearly tells you how to change the bulbs. It's not that hard and does not require a trip to the dealer.. turn wheel, remove 4 bolts, pull liner back, reach up and remove bulb, same as DRL and fogs.

The caliber *required* full bumper removal just for the turn bulb.. manual even stated just take it to the dealer for servicing. Even then the bumper wasn't that bad to remove but annoying for a $2 bulb.

Switching headlamps completely does require bumper removal as the bumper clips into sections of the headlamp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Access to the headlamp assembly isn't my complaint. My complaint is that damn support bracket that bisects the opening. I want to take one and beat the ever living crap out of the moron who thought that would be a perfect location to put a support part that doesn't seem to really support anything, given the amount of bolts to frame and body parts for everything in that area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in