• 1 Post By Chris Jacobs
  • 1 Post By Redmaxx
  • 2 Post By airwolf39
  • 2 Post By Wolfy
  • 1 Post By dawm

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 05-27-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Lightbar installed behind bumper

Finally got around to taking the front bumper off and getting my 24" lightbar installed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
nobrakes likes this.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-27-2018, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Pictures are in the following order:
Lightbar only
Headlights only
Fogs only
Headlights and fogs
Headlights, fogs and lightbar

10-64 likes this.

post #3 of 20 Old 05-27-2018, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Also to note, don't use the crappy spade connectors most lightbars come with. Buy a crimping tool and weatherpack connectors and make it perfectly sealed.

Chris Jacobs and 10-64 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-27-2018, 04:31 AM

I have to say that turned out very nice and is very cleanly done great work! This one of the approaches I have considered for much needed off-road lighting as I wheel a lot at night. It is good to see the the grill really does not affect getting the light to the ground. A few questions if you don't mind. How hard was it to remove the front fascia? How did you route the wiring into the cabin? Lastly where in the world did you mount the switch? I have looked all around inside our Trailhawk and can't for the life of me figure where would be a good place to mount switches without cutting the dash. LOL
post #5 of 20 Old 05-27-2018, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
I have to say that turned out very nice and is very cleanly done great work! This one of the approaches I have considered for much needed off-road lighting as I wheel a lot at night. It is good to see the the grill really does not affect getting the light to the ground. A few questions if you don't mind. How hard was it to remove the front fascia? How did you route the wiring into the cabin? Lastly where in the world did you mount the switch? I have looked all around inside our Trailhawk and can't for the life of me figure where would be a good place to mount switches without cutting the dash. LOL
I have another post about removing the bumper, it's pretty simple, I did not take enough pictures tho but I linked a video that pretty much explains it. I figured the compass would be about the same as the Grand Cherokee and I was right.

Temporary wiring ran through the window.

As far as permanent wiring and switch.. I'm working on a module that will let me long press the fog button to turn the lightbar on and off. So all I need to do is run 1 wire into the cab to trigger the relay in the engine bay.

post #6 of 20 Old 05-27-2018, 05:36 AM

LOL yeah I saw your other post on the bumper removal after reading and posting here. It does not look as bad of a job as I thought it would be my biggest worry would be my bad luck and some of those plastic clips breaking off on me. lol

I hope your module switch idea works out for you I have never seen such a thing and it will be very interesting to see how it works. I have a little bit of an electronics back ground so this sounds like something that would be fun to build. It would also be quick to turn off the light bar in case of oncoming traffic.

I don't see many others wheeling in the places I go at night but one of my favorite forestry roads does have camping sites along the way so every now and then I have to turn off my light bars on my Tracker for passing cars. I also try to be nice and turn them off when I see people camping so I'm not blinding them or disturbing them doing whatever in their tents. With the 42" bar above the windshield and the 20" on the bumper night almost turns into day that makes for near X-ray quility imaging through a tent. lol
doncano likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-27-2018, 05:25 PM

Nice work, that bumper must of been a bear to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 20 Old 05-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Nice mod. You have the rusty gears in my head going now.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-28-2018, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclez View Post
Nice work, that bumper must of been a bear to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This video for the grand cherokee is essentially the same on the compass with a couple differences that easy to figure out. They're designed very similarly.

post #10 of 20 Old 05-29-2018, 12:25 PM

Question: Does this light bar install interfere with the airflow for the radiator? I think it looks awesome and would like to do this myself. Great job.
10-64 likes this.

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #11 of 20 Old 05-29-2018, 08:20 PM

Garage
Question: How do you clean that light bar?
arudlang and 10-64 like this.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Just kidding, mostly. It does look good. Like the couple posters above me I would be (only mildly) concerned with obstructing airflow and wondering how the light could be thoroughly cleaned. You know what would be a cool mod is if someone devised a way to cut out that honeycomb and make it removable or have some kind of replacement insert for it (like people love to do on their mustangs so dang much).

Kudos for a clean and detailed install.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-31-2018, 12:49 AM

Beautiful.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-01-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post

Just kidding, mostly. It does look good. Like the couple posters above me I would be (only mildly) concerned with obstructing airflow and wondering how the light could be thoroughly cleaned. You know what would be a cool mod is if someone devised a way to cut out that honeycomb and make it removable or have some kind of replacement insert for it (like people love to do on their mustangs so dang much).

Kudos for a clean and detailed install.
LOL I for one wouldn't use this on the highway with one exception - driving out in the rural west. When I lived in ND and would drive to CO to visit family, deer would be lined up by the thousands. At that point, the concept isn't if there is enough light, it's all about getting maximum lighting out as far as possible to see which ones are contemplating using your vehicle as their medium for suicide. These light bars ARE off road only, and those who like to blind people going down the interstates with these, deserve to be on the wrong side of a cop short on their ticket and beating quotas.
arudlang and doncano like this.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-01-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
Question: Does this light bar install interfere with the airflow for the radiator? I think it looks awesome and would like to do this myself. Great job.
No noticable change in coolant temp, it's mounted high in the grille directly on the bumper beam, still plenty of air gap around it.

post #16 of 20 Old 06-01-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf39 View Post
Question: How do you clean that light bar?
Clean? What's that? LOL. I guess I could use q-tips if I really needed, but a decent foam wash and good soap should be fine.

post #17 of 20 Old 06-04-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
No noticable change in coolant temp, it's mounted high in the grille directly on the bumper beam, still plenty of air gap around it.

Thank you. Where did you buy the light bar?

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #18 of 20 Old 06-04-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmaxx View Post
Thank you. Where did you buy the light bar?
Amazon

Redmaxx likes this.

post #19 of 20 Old 07-27-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
As far as permanent wiring and switch.. I'm working on a module that will let me long press the fog button to turn the lightbar on and off. So all I need to do is run 1 wire into the cab to trigger the relay in the engine bay.

Did you ever complete this module? Would be interested in details if so - this is the exact clean implementation I would love to have.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-27-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrywalkerX View Post
Did you ever complete this module? Would be interested in details if so - this is the exact clean implementation I would love to have.
Yes, but still tweaking/testing it. My original idea has been installed in my vehicle almost a year now and works flawlessly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in