Oil consumption and no indicator for oil change - Page 3 - Jeep Compass Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #61 of 150 Old 12-17-2018, 11:12 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjlads View Post
I have the same problem with our brand new 2018 Compass. After only 2,000 miles the oil maintenance light came on. I knew it was way too early for an oil change so I decided to check the oil. I was shocked to find that no oil even registered. We took it to dealer (Woodland Hills) and they charged my daughter $100 to “diagnosis” the issue even though it is under warranty. They said they can only diagnosis by doing an oil change and bringing the Jeep back in 1,000 miles. My daughter forgot to bring it back at 1,000 miles. I checked the oil at 3,000 post oil change and the oil did not register again - it is unheard of for a new engine to burn through that much oil in 3,000 miles unless there is a problem! I know there is no leak because we have had parked for over a week at a time and no oil stains. Brought to a new dealer (Van Nuys) hoping for a better result but they pulled the same scam - you pay us $100 to diagnos our defect on a brand new car. Forced us to get another oil change and bring it back in 500 miles. We are at 400 miles and already oil is barely registering. I called Jeep/Chrysler HQ and spent 3-4 hours on different phone calls. Twice they offered to pay back the money the dealers scammed from us. Twice I uploaded both bills and emailed them to the designated address. I even got a phone call from someone saying they received the invoices and that the check was “in the mail.” But it has been weeks and no check has arrived. I am an attorney and know this is not legal. I am bringing the car back this week and if they don’t handle it correctly I will have no choice but to sue. And what a waste of money for them. They will have to take back the car AND pay attorneys’ fees. Why not just do the right thing and avoid the costs of attorneys and the bad publicity?
Regardless of the $100 fee (outrageous, I agree), the dealer offered to do a check on the consumption and she "forgot" to bring it back. Then she ran it for 2000 miles beyond when they wanted to check, and then voila! the dipstick was dry. FCA can easily argue that she did further damage, and for that matter by not returning she showed by her inaction that she was taking neither the problem nor their offer to help very seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 150 Old 12-17-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Oil maintenance light does not come on due to low oil, nor does it come on due to oil going bad/used. The system has no oil level sensor or a oil quality sensor. It is simply a duty based system that predicts when you would need an oil change based on your driving style. The system comes on between 2000 and 10000 miles depending on how you drive and how much load is put on the engine. The fact that it came on at 2000 miles indicates who ever is using the car is using it very roughly. And that would be a problem if you try to sue them. FCA already has a engine oil consumption bulletin that states 1qt per 2000 miles is normal, link below (I am not saying it is normal, but since they assume it to be normal, it would be difficulty to argue with them on court that it is a defect). Another issue is they explicitly state that this doesn't not apply to cars that are driven aggressively, high speed, high RPM, etc. The fact that oil change indicator came in in 2000 miles indicates the car was driven this way. If you sue them, they will just download the driving history from the cars computer and say that the reason why it burned oil was because it was driven rough, especially since the car is within engine break in period for the first 10000 miles.

https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/682/engi...12-2016-fca-us

Another question, how are you measuring the oil? It needs to be done 5 minutes after a completely warmed engine is tuned off. If you do it for a cold engine that sat overnight, it will register ~0.5qts lower, depending on how cold is it outside. Also consider that many owners reported engine consuming oil for the first ~10000k miles that gradually slows down and stop.

I also never heard any dealer charging a diagnostic fee for a car under warranty, you should definitely get that money back. I would fill a complain to FCA about those dealers since that is definitely a scam.
Yeah, I wondered about that oil maintenance light, but you are more knowledgeable than I. What you say makes sense. Computers in cars these days know a lot.

I am one of those owners that's noticed the oil consumption drop down to something pretty close to reasonable, though its taken me to 20,000 miles for this to happen. I've used about 3/4 of a quart in the last 3000 miles. I'll keep my fingers crossed to see if it makes the next oil change without any oil added.

IMHO, if the new normal is for engines to use a lot of oil, there ought to be a low oil indicator on the dashboard. My 2001 Pontiac had one, but I never saw it illuminated before 200,000 miles. Such an indicator could save the company and us customers a lot of grief.

Last edited by Jasmine; 12-18-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #63 of 150 Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 PM

hello, 7 months with my 2018 jeep compass and really mad with the oil consumption, i'm changing the oil every 3,000m and before it comes a have to buy 2Q of oil, and i'm using 100% Synthetic oil.i wich a recall comes out soon because im dislike whit this jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 150 Old 01-03-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan720 View Post
hello, 7 months with my 2018 jeep compass and really mad with the oil consumption, i'm changing the oil every 3,000m and before it comes a have to buy 2Q of oil, and i'm using 100% Synthetic oil.i wich a recall comes out soon because im dislike whit this jeep.
Hello, Bryan. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, some of us seem to be having oil consumption issues. If you've read the above posts you now know that you are not alone. From what I can gather other manufacturers are having this issue too. Apparently they are increasing tolerances to reduce internal friction in order to improve fuel economy. If you've followed my posts, it seems mine is improving, but I'm now at 22,000 miles. Its taken awhile to 'improve' to this point.

Aside from this I'm happy with my Compass. Then again, aside from the iceberg incident, the Titanic had a good trip.

My only advice is to be prudent and check your dipstick frequently.
post #65 of 150 Old 01-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Great! I hope my comes down when it reaches 20,000 miles because it is a great vehicle. Anyways I'm taking it to the dealership service just to have some evidence of the excessive oil consumption since this Jeep doesn't have a low oil indicator light. Thanks for the help.
Jasmine likes this.
post #66 of 150 Old 01-03-2019, 02:32 PM

Garage
I don't recall reading about oil consumption from anyone with a manual or the 6 speed auto.

I have one of each and they don't use oil. I check the dipstick frequently.
post #67 of 150 Old 01-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
I don't recall reading about oil consumption from anyone with a manual or the 6 speed auto.

I have one of each and they don't use oil. I check the dipstick frequently.
It is probably due to combination of 2.4 liter engine and manual or 6 speed auto is rare, so the sample size is small. 2.4l engine is only offered in the north american market and very few such cars are offered without the 9 speed auto. There is no reason to think that the transmission has anything to do with oil consumption.

All in all, imo, this shows that the issue is not as common as some people think it is, as with a smaller sample size you dont see the issue. People are just more likely to complain if they have an issue, and with internet things get blown out of proportion. FCA probably sold more than a million of these engines in Cherokee, Renegade and Compass combined (even more if you include cars like Chrysler 200, Dodge Dart, etc.) just in US, compass alone sold around 200k in just 2 years. If only 1% of the engines had an issue, there would have been 10k cars with such engines. Just based on the news coverage on this, we know the actual number must be far less then 10k cars, otherwise there would be news about FCAs defective engines everywhere.
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by Tripod; 01-03-2019 at 07:52 PM.
post #68 of 150 Old 01-14-2019, 05:30 PM

I'm just learning about the oil consumption issue with the 2.4 L engines, which I was told my dealership's service department has been a common issue.

I am about 6-7 months into my lease of a 2018 Jeep Compass. I have just about 4,100 miles on it and in no way would say it is a severe duty vehicle. I don't tow, off-road, or ever carry any heavy cargo. Last Thursday while driving (and in motion) my car stalled in the middle of taking a left hand turn across the opposite lane of traffic and I had to coast to the other side of the road. My dash started flashing with different instructions (shift to park then shift to desired gear; and then press brake and press start button). It look about 5-6 tries in total before I could get my jeep to turn back on and the engine was cranking just trying to turn over. I brought it to my dealership the next morning and was told I was low 3.5 qts of oil. I couldn't get an explanation as to why it would have consumed that much oil in such a short amount of time apart from that "it's a known issue" with the 2.4 L engines. I didn't have any warnings before my car turned off, no oil light, no notice that my oil was nearing the end of its life; again though, I was told no lights would come for this problem until you pretty much have no oil left in the engine.

I was told that until I reach 7,500 miles, the jeep is still considered to be in a "break-in period" and that it might over-consume oil until that period is over. They also won't start an oil consumption test until the break-in period is over. I was advised by the service department to get my first oil change at 7,500 miles and that they're start the consumption test at the point but then I'll still have to bring it back 2 more times after that (every 2,000 miles) before any repairs may be considered.

I still have 3,400 miles to go, which is pretty close to what I've already put on the jeep at this point. I've owned new cars in the past (Hondas) and I've never had to monitor oil levels in a brand new car. Hell, I didn't even have to start doing that with my old Toyota until it was 14 years old. I was really excited to get this jeep but I would have passed on the 2.4 L engine if I had been made aware of the "known" problem. I'm just thankful I wasn't hit when it stalled out on me in the middle of the road..
post #69 of 150 Old 01-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee View Post
I'm just learning about the oil consumption issue with the 2.4 L engines, which I was told my dealership's service department has been a common issue.

I am about 6-7 months into my lease of a 2018 Jeep Compass. I have just about 4,100 miles on it and in no way would say it is a severe duty vehicle. I don't tow, off-road, or ever carry any heavy cargo. Last Thursday while driving (and in motion) my car stalled in the middle of taking a left hand turn across the opposite lane of traffic and I had to coast to the other side of the road. My dash started flashing with different instructions (shift to park then shift to desired gear; and then press brake and press start button). It look about 5-6 tries in total before I could get my jeep to turn back on and the engine was cranking just trying to turn over. I brought it to my dealership the next morning and was told I was low 3.5 qts of oil. I couldn't get an explanation as to why it would have consumed that much oil in such a short amount of time apart from that "it's a known issue" with the 2.4 L engines. I didn't have any warnings before my car turned off, no oil light, no notice that my oil was nearing the end of its life; again though, I was told no lights would come for this problem until you pretty much have no oil left in the engine.

I was told that until I reach 7,500 miles, the jeep is still considered to be in a "break-in period" and that it might over-consume oil until that period is over. They also won't start an oil consumption test until the break-in period is over. I was advised by the service department to get my first oil change at 7,500 miles and that they're start the consumption test at the point but then I'll still have to bring it back 2 more times after that (every 2,000 miles) before any repairs may be considered.

I still have 3,400 miles to go, which is pretty close to what I've already put on the jeep at this point. I've owned new cars in the past (Hondas) and I've never had to monitor oil levels in a brand new car. Hell, I didn't even have to start doing that with my old Toyota until it was 14 years old. I was really excited to get this jeep but I would have passed on the 2.4 L engine if I had been made aware of the "known" problem. I'm just thankful I wasn't hit when it stalled out on me in the middle of the road..
I have a 2006 Jeep grand cherokee. In 13 years, it didn't burn a single drop of oil but I still checked it oil at least once a month since I got it. It a good practice to check the fluid levels (oil, coolant, power steering fluid, etc) of the car at least once a month.

It is no ways your fault but checking the fluid levels can and will save you a lot of headaches down the road because, in case something is damaged due to lack of a certain fluid, if the particular fluid has a level indicator, the owner is responsible for the damage (as owner is responsible to check and maintain proper levels of such fluids). For example, 2nd gen compass doesn't have a fluid level indicator for the transmission, so if that leaks fluid and the tranny blows, jeep will have to fix it as long as car has warranty, since you have no means of knowing checking it. However, if you blow the engine the same way, they can deny warranty service and claim it was owner negligence. Some people say easity way of doing it is after filling up the gas. While that is happening, you can check the oil in 30 secs.

You did the right thing by asking for an oil consumption test. Definitely ask them to do that once proper mileage is reached. That way the the issue will be on an official file and if you have more problems down the road, you will have an official reference.
post #70 of 150 Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I have a 2006 Jeep grand cherokee. In 13 years, it didn't burn a single drop of oil but I still checked it oil at least once a month since I got it. It a good practice to check the fluid levels (oil, coolant, power steering fluid, etc) of the car at least once a month.

It is no ways your fault but checking the fluid levels can and will save you a lot of headaches down the road because, in case something is damaged due to lack of a certain fluid, if the particular fluid has a level indicator, the owner is responsible for the damage (as owner is responsible to check and maintain proper levels of such fluids). For example, 2nd gen compass doesn't have a fluid level indicator for the transmission, so if that leaks fluid and the tranny blows, jeep will have to fix it as long as car has warranty, since you have no means of knowing checking it. However, if you blow the engine the same way, they can deny warranty service and claim it was owner negligence. Some people say easity way of doing it is after filling up the gas. While that is happening, you can check the oil in 30 secs.

You did the right thing by asking for an oil consumption test. Definitely ask them to do that once proper mileage is reached. That way the the issue will be on an official file and if you have more problems down the road, you will have an official reference.
It's certainly a habit I'll have to get myself into. I know it was probably a bit naive of me to think new car no problems, but I am disappointed needing to deal with this. I was really excited for this Compass but having it stall out on a busy street with no warning was not a good experience.
post #71 of 150 Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Last Thursday while driving (and in motion) my car stalled in the middle of taking a left hand turn across the opposite lane of traffic and I had to coast to the other side of the road. My dash started flashing with different instructions (shift to park then shift to desired gear; and then press brake and press start button). It look about 5-6 tries in total before I could get my jeep to turn back on and the engine was cranking just trying to turn over. I brought it to my dealership the next morning and was told I was low 3.5 qts of oil. I couldn't get an explanation as to why it would have consumed that much oil in such a short amount of time apart from that "it's a known issue" with the 2.4 L engines. I didn't have any warnings before my car turned off, no oil light, no notice that my oil was nearing the end of its life; again though, I was told no lights would come for this problem until you pretty much have no oil left in the engine . . .

. . . I'm just thankful I wasn't hit when it stalled out on me in the middle of the road..
When this happens it is no longer a maintenance or durability issue, its a SAFETY issue. Since this is a "known issue" with the new 2.4, and technology exists to warn the driver of a low oil level (as above, my Pontiac had a low oil warning light 18 years ago), there is no reason for the engine to shutdown without warning. Instead there should be a low oil level warning on the instrument panel. The vehicle occupants should not be placed in peril!

JeepCares are you reading this?

FCA are you reading this?

NHTSA, are you reading this?

Why wait for a tragedy? Why wait for a lawsuit? Just put a stinkin' light on the dash!!! With all the nanny devices on these vehicles (e.g. seat belt warning lights, door ajar messages, auto stop/start, aribags) what's so hard about doing such a simple fix for a known issue? Seat belts may save a life in an accident, but a warning light could prevent the accident in the first place.
post #72 of 150 Old 01-15-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
When this happens it is no longer a maintenance or durability issue, its a SAFETY issue. Since this is a "known issue" with the new 2.4, and technology exists to warn the driver of a low oil level (as above, my Pontiac had a low oil warning light 18 years ago), there is no reason for the engine to shutdown without warning. Instead there should be a low oil level warning on the instrument panel. The vehicle occupants should not be placed in peril!

JeepCares are you reading this?

FCA are you reading this?

NHTSA, are you reading this?

Why wait for a tragedy? Why wait for a lawsuit? Just put a stinkin' light on the dash!!! With all the nanny devices on these vehicles (e.g. seat belt warning lights, door ajar messages, auto stop/start, aribags) what's so hard about doing such a simple fix for a known issue? Seat belts may save a life in an accident, but a warning light could prevent the accident in the first place.
That is my exact concern, this is a safety issue and I feel like it's not really being addressed.
Jasmine likes this.
post #73 of 150 Old 01-17-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
That is my exact concern, this is a safety issue and I feel like it's not really being addressed.
Sadly, it will never be addressed. They've had many years to look into this concern and have done ZERO to remedy. You can write to the NTSB with a petition and get others on board, that would be a good start.
Jasmine likes this.
post #74 of 150 Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
Sadly, it will never be addressed. They've had many years to look into this concern and have done ZERO to remedy. You can write to the NTSB with a petition and get others on board, that would be a good start.
I'd sign. While its not been my problem, its a safety concern and should be remedied. If they won't do it voluntarily, then they've got to be forced into it.

Not checking the oil is unwise and if an owner runs it dry the ruined engine is their own fault. But the penalty should not be life-threatening to the vehicle's occupants or others on the road. I could be the oncoming driver when a Compass croaks while making a left turn in front of me. Not my fault in the least, but it could have a profound effect on me or my passengers. Even if it wasn't my fault I'd feel forever badly about being involved in an accident that resulted in severe injury or death.
post #75 of 150 Old 01-21-2019, 12:07 AM

Does the 2018 Jeep Compass use 0W-20 motor oil?
post #76 of 150 Old 01-21-2019, 01:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Yes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #77 of 150 Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
And how!
post #78 of 150 Old 01-28-2019, 01:43 AM

I am leasing a 2017 Jeep Compass. I had the oil changed after I had 3000 miles on it at the dealer. They told me that its lucky I had it done because there was only a quart left in the car. Since then, I have had the same problem again. They had me do an oil consumption test, bringing it in after 1000 miles. They said it was down a quart and that is considered acceptable with the manufacturer. The service dept told me they recommend checking the oil after every gas fill up. I now have 11000 miles on it. I have the oil changed 3 times. It is STILL "burning" oil and they keep telling me that this is "normal" consumption. I have never seen anything like it!
I have also had other problems with the car. Like the radio cuts out, and the entire screen goes black. Sometimes it comes back on after a few minutes, sometimes I have to shut off the car, restart it, then it comes back on. So the entire screen goes black, which means I have no access to anything that is displayed there. I sometimes also get a "backfire" sound when slowing down for a stop sign. Back to the dealer again for me! Which means that I have to endure the attitude from the service dept that I am "imagining" things and being appeased.
As much as I like the vehicle for the most part, I will probably turn it in after the lease, and go to a different brand of vehicle.
post #79 of 150 Old 01-29-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds 1122 View Post
I had the oil changed after I had 3000 miles on it at the dealer. They told me that its lucky I had it done because there was only a quart left in the car. Since then, I have had the same problem again. They had me do an oil consumption test, bringing it in after 1000 miles. They said it was down a quart and that is considered acceptable with the manufacturer. The service dept told me they recommend checking the oil after every gas fill up. I now have 11000 miles on it. I have the oil changed 3 times. It is STILL "burning" oil and they keep telling me that this is "normal" consumption. I have never seen anything like it!
I have also had other problems with the car. Like the radio cuts out, and the entire screen goes black. Sometimes it comes back on after a few minutes, sometimes I have to shut off the car, restart it, then it comes back on. So the entire screen goes black, which means I have no access to anything that is displayed there. I sometimes also get a "backfire" sound when slowing down for a stop sign. Back to the dealer again for me! Which means that I have to endure the attitude from the service dept that I am "imagining" things and being appeased.
Spot on my experience with the dealership I had to take the car to. I went thru all the available oil before the mileage/date/oil indicator. They said it was normal. I ended up getting 3 free oil changes. The car burned thru 13-15 quarts of oil in 12k miles. Absolutely absurd and FCA said it was "normal". I can expect that on a tired motor (burning) or a motor with bad seals(leaking) but never on a new motor. It was more than broken in after the 2nd oil change. I saved myself the headache and got rid of the car.

I recently ran a car fax on the car and the new owner is having the same problems I was having.

The service department was sympathetic but unwilling to do anything. They knew the car was total sh*t. The oil consumption tests are useless. Just a stall tactic to make you wait until the warranty runs out.
post #80 of 150 Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 PM

This is generating a lot of bad will among FCA's customers. Its the kind of thing that doesn't hit them until all these Compass owners switch to Chevy, Honda, or whoever. Then they wonder why their owner loyalty isn't what it was. Jeepcares monitors this website -- I hope they are passing on the info because its going to hurt FCA, not only in the long run, but even the medium run. While I've been in the habit of keeping my vehicles for a long time, probably not this one unless the oil consumption ceases. Its otherwise a good vehicle, but this is a serious problem -- its not just a case of the sniffles, its a heart condition.
arudlang and 10-64 like this.
post #81 of 150 Old 02-06-2019, 05:30 PM

Oil consumption - no oil indicator

I am glad to see I am not the only one with an issue. I have 5,400 mile on my compass and twice a quick flash of the low oil pressure light went on, and the car died right where it was at with no warning. Until my service appointment the next day, I added 2 quarts of oil. The dealership changed my oil and said it was extremely low and asked me to come back in 500 miles to see how much oil it burned. This isn't right and it needs to be fixed. It is a 2018 and I have never in my life had these types of problems. Now, I have to carry oil in my car until they fix the problem. I have always been a Jeep supporter, my whole family has jeeps and I have always had one as well. Very disappointing. If they can't resolve it, the lemon law is going to be my next go to.
post #82 of 150 Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmholter View Post
I am glad to see I am not the only one with an issue. I have 5,400 mile on my compass and twice a quick flash of the low oil pressure light went on, and the car died right where it was at with no warning. Until my service appointment the next day, I added 2 quarts of oil. The dealership changed my oil and said it was extremely low and asked me to come back in 500 miles to see how much oil it burned. This isn't right and it needs to be fixed. It is a 2018 and I have never in my life had these types of problems. Now, I have to carry oil in my car until they fix the problem. I have always been a Jeep supporter, my whole family has jeeps and I have always had one as well. Very disappointing. If they can't resolve it, the lemon law is going to be my next go to.
Hi @dmholter,

We are sorry to hear that you have this concern with your Jeep. Please let us know if you are in need of additional assistance while your Jeep is in service. You can send us a private message with your VIN at any time.

Darlene
Jeep Social Care Specialist
post #83 of 150 Old 02-07-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine
This is generating a lot of bad will among FCA's customers. Its the kind of thing that doesn't hit them until all these Compass owners switch to Chevy, Honda, or whoever. Then they wonder why their owner loyalty isn't what it was. Jeepcares monitors this website -- I hope they are passing on the info because its going to hurt FCA, not only in the long run, but even the medium run. While I've been in the habit of keeping my vehicles for a long time, probably not this one unless the oil consumption ceases. Its otherwise a good vehicle, but this is a serious problem -- its not just a case of the sniffles, its a heart condition.
That post was a while ago but I totally agree. I really don't want to have to get a different vehicle when the lease is up, its going to cost me a fortune to get something better but apparently this thing was built to a price and it shows badly. It seemed too good to be true back when we bought it and we were like "Holy cow look at all the bells and whistles we got for only 26,XXX !!!" but now we know it WAS too good to be true. Our first and last foray into the Jeep brand, or any FCA product for that matter. I can tell they try a little harder on their flagship vehicles like the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge RAMs, but the bitter letdown of this Compass is too much for me.

We will run this lease out, so I'll be around a quite a few more months yet, but once that lease is up probably going for the new Chevy Blazer or the new Honda Passport.

In about a year there are going to be just gobs and gobs of these 2017.5 and 2018/19 Compasses for sale used as us leasers start to shluff them off, probably at amazingly low prices they will be. Then a whole new generation of suckers will be posting around here with the same old stuff.
post #84 of 150 Old 02-07-2019, 07:40 PM

I sent an e-mail to JeepCares asking that they pass the "shut-down without warning" issue to their safety people. If they've got the technology to shut it down, they've got the technology to warn the driver first. If they genuinely care, there should be some action.
post #85 of 150 Old 02-08-2019, 04:30 AM

post #86 of 150 Old 02-08-2019, 03:10 PM

That's just from incompetence, not a defect or vibration.
post #87 of 150 Old 02-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Let me tell some conclusions from Russia.

First of all - stop using Shell oil. Try to clean your engine and fill it with Ravenol SFE SAE 0w20. Shell oil tend to leave plenty of soot. It can solve problem or greatly reduce oil consumption.

If the first step does not work for you try to rise viscosity to SAE 5w30. Oil with viscosity 5w30 will not ruin your engine.

Change oil every 6500 km.
post #88 of 150 Old 02-08-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iidmax View Post

Oil with viscosity 5w30 will not ruin your engine.
Yeah but it will be a quick and effective way of voiding the warranty.
post #89 of 150 Old 02-09-2019, 04:12 AM

Wink

Quote:
Yeah but it will be a quick and effective way of voiding the warranty.
it is only 2 year and works in rare situations.
post #90 of 150 Old 03-11-2019, 02:04 AM

Update: Good News

I got 3500 miles since my last oil change before having to add a quart yesterday morning. This is a new record for my Compass. Maybe by the time I get to 100,000 miles it won't be using any. Apparently these engines just have an exceedingly long break-in period.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in