I want to take a sledgehammer to the guy who designed this - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 06-07-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I want to take a sledgehammer to the guy who designed this

To those who keep telling me that they are accessing all of the bulbs from the inner fender well, I'm forced to call B.S. Reason why is that this is TOO HIGH UP to be reached from below, and is blocked by the mess that has me fuming at the gross incompetence of whomever thought that this was an acceptable design. It wasn't for this moronic bracket, swapping headlights would be an easy simple twist and go. I cannot get any measurable grip to lock the bulb in place as it's mounting hole is off center from the cap, AND that god damned bracket that makes me want to gouge the designers eyes out with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg **** FCA.jpg (62.0 KB, 88 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 PM

I have yet to mess with my headlights but just from looking at them it appears to be the only way to deal with the bulbs would be to remove the assembly from the Jeep. Which means pulling the nose off. I too have seen it commented that the bulbs can be reached through the fender well and when it comes time I may try that. But I'm very doubtful I can get it done that way with my big hands.

I also keep coming back to looking at that same bracket in the way of the bulbs on each side. I see a bolt on one side holding them in but can not see how the other end is held in place. Maybe it is just a keyed fit with pins? So I might would try taking lose the one side and see if the other end slides out or allows enough movement to get to the bulb better. If you do happen to find who designed this thing that way do me a favor and start with their toes!
post #3 of 8 Old 06-07-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
I have yet to mess with my headlights but just from looking at them it appears to be the only way to deal with the bulbs would be to remove the assembly from the Jeep. Which means pulling the nose off. I too have seen it commented that the bulbs can be reached through the fender well and when it comes time I may try that. But I'm very doubtful I can get it done that way with my big hands.

I also keep coming back to looking at that same bracket in the way of the bulbs on each side. I see a bolt on one side holding them in but can not see how the other end is held in place. Maybe it is just a keyed fit with pins? So I might would try taking lose the one side and see if the other end slides out or allows enough movement to get to the bulb better. If you do happen to find who designed this thing that way do me a favor and start with their toes!
I'll take you along and we can take turns smashing every bone in the idiots body, one bone at a time, then make sure he can never procreate.
Chris Jacobs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-2018, 11:43 PM

I want to take a sledgehammer to the guy who designed this

Itís a real B*tch I removed part of the supports and was able to get my beefy hands into the location. But what a pain. Also removing the front wheels and going thru the fender liner is MUCH MUCH EASIER.

Remember small Italians made these things haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 03:52 AM

I went in through the top and was barely able to swap the headlight bulbs... my hands were extremely cut up by the time I was finished. What a frustrating ordeal.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 05:24 AM

I have changed the bulbs on my Compass many times (tried different versions of LED Bulbs) and then finally settled with Philips 9011 HIR bulbs (halogen). These are the same as stock 65W , but have a higher 2350 Lumen output, with exact same LCL (Light centre length) as the original 9005 bulbs. The top tab needs a little trimming by 3 mm to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180211_113914.jpg (144.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20180211_143735.jpg (80.2 KB, 29 views)
post #7 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemoth View Post
I have changed the bulbs on my Compass many times (tried different versions of LED Bulbs) and then finally settled with Philips 9011 HIR bulbs (halogen). These are the same as stock 65W , but have a higher 2350 Lumen output, with exact same LCL (Light centre length) as the original 9005 bulbs. The top tab needs a little trimming by 3 mm to fit.
The LED's that I bought fit, those metal strips can be bent in any direction to fit inside the case. I just need enough space behind the housing to get the full twist and lock in it. The passenger side was a war in of itself, but the lack of the windshield washer bottle at least allowed me to clumsily find a way to get that twist in. I'm thinking of taking a dremmel to the tabs on the bulb to "thin" them ever so slightly to reduce the amount of force needed to allow them to lock. The light pattern IS good, it just throws a hot spot high and left, which is verboten in my OCD world.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclez View Post
Itís a real B*tch I removed part of the supports and was able to get my beefy hands into the location. But what a pain. Also removing the front wheels and going thru the fender liner is MUCH MUCH EASIER.

Remember small Italians made these things haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brazilians, Mexicans and Indians (India)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in