Rattle after service - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris Jacobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Rattle after service

In march I took my vehicle to Orange Coast Jeep to have the factory hitch installed. During the process of installing it, the front window was cracked. It took about a month to get it resolved with the dealership. I am now experiencing a rattle in the rear of the car, when I take a look, I see that the rear inside panels, where I assume they run the wires through for the hitch, isn't fully attached and the clips that hold it in are broken. I would like to know what I should do in this situation, I no longer have faith in that dealership, but want to get my car fixed. Can anyone make a recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn066 View Post
In march I took my vehicle to Orange Coast Jeep to have the factory hitch installed. During the process of installing it, the front window was cracked. It took about a month to get it resolved with the dealership. I am now experiencing a rattle in the rear of the car, when I take a look, I see that the rear inside panels, where I assume they run the wires through for the hitch, isn't fully attached and the clips that hold it in are broken. I would like to know what I should do in this situation, I no longer have faith in that dealership, but want to get my car fixed. Can anyone make a recommendation?
@JeepCares should be able to assist. They do have to remove a bunch of panels to route the wiring up to the engine bay fuse box, but cracking the windshield? Broken clips? Not good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 01:44 AM

Wow, At first I thought even though our hitch install had a couple of hiccups that they did a great job. Then my salesman told me when he went to pick it up and wash it for us he noticed the windshield cowl plate was missing so he had to make them find it and put it back on. My guess is dealing with the wiring and this panel is where your windshield got cracked. Then I have in washing the little Jeep found clips here and there that either came undone or had never been clipped back in during the hitch and wiring install. No biggie I just clipped them in. But then I started thinking again about what the cost would have been to get this done had the hitch not been part of the deal when buying it. At that cost one should have expect perfection.

Now I see your post and I have come to the conclusion that if someone wants a hitch on one of these little beast they should find one factory installed or order on with the hitch. It is a pretty big job dismantling the rear to install the hitch then taking apart the rest of the Jeep to get the wiring done. FCA should follow others lead in making a hitch and wiring job basically plug and play.

In your case I would try to be nice and just ask the dealership to fix the issue. This is a complicated job so things can go wrong. It is possible the clips were stressed but not broken when reinstalled so they failed afterwards. This is not one of those issues that would make me not trust the sevice people. Even with the crazy nightmare I had that had turned a hitch and wiring install turn into a few days stay at the dealership I still at this point would trust them to any work needed. But ask me again after our soon to be next visit! LOL
arudlang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 01:49 AM

The panel has to be removed to access the firewall grommet to fish the wiring through. Still don't know how you remove a simple panel and break the window. The instructions show nothing about breaking the window.

post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
The panel has to be removed to access the firewall grommet to fish the wiring through. Still don't know how you remove a simple panel and break the window. The instructions show nothing about breaking the window.

Yes I read this a breaking the front window as windshield which can happen simpler than you think but if it is the front door glass that would be an interesting story to hear. I once cracked a windshield with a screwdriver while taking wiper arms off a car. The screwdriver slipped and delivered a sharp concentrated blow to the glass and that is all it takes sometimes.

But I'm sure whatever window was broken it was by accident unless they got the instructions mixed up between installing trailer wiring and how to deal with an accident involving entrapment. Trust me if your stuck in your car after an accident anything not broken in the crash will be broken by the first responders but most of the time you will not complain about it. LOL
post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

It was the front windshield, it looked like a single hammer blow underneath passenger side windshield wiper. When I went to pickup the car, no one mentioned to me that the windshield was broken, I noticed it immediately when I get in the car, ran back in and the service writer said 'The technician asked us if you wanted to get that fixed'. Of course, I was like, yeah, you broke it, I want it fixed, that's when she proceeded to tell me, no, it was brought in that way. Incredibly long story short, I had a dash cam, that shows me getting out of the car with no broken windshield, the car driving back to the service bay with no broken windshield, at one point a service person covering the dash cam with their hand, and the next recording the dash cam was pointed up to the sky.

They eventually said they are not sure what happened, but believe that it was broken when they had possession, they did replace it, but that started other issues. First trying to use a 3rd part windshield which didn't fit, then taking 2 weeks to get a mopar one in, then the battle of getting them to redo the tint.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn066 View Post
It was the front windshield, it looked like a single hammer blow underneath passenger side windshield wiper. When I went to pickup the car, no one mentioned to me that the windshield was broken, I noticed it immediately when I get in the car, ran back in and the service writer said 'The technician asked us if you wanted to get that fixed'. Of course, I was like, yeah, you broke it, I want it fixed, that's when she proceeded to tell me, no, it was brought in that way. Incredibly long story short, I had a dash cam, that shows me getting out of the car with no broken windshield, the car driving back to the service bay with no broken windshield, at one point a service person covering the dash cam with their hand, and the next recording the dash cam was pointed up to the sky.

They eventually said they are not sure what happened, but believe that it was broken when they had possession, they did replace it, but that started other issues. First trying to use a 3rd part windshield which didn't fit, then taking 2 weeks to get a mopar one in, then the battle of getting them to redo the tint.
Dash cam ftw!

post #8 of 10 Old 06-15-2018, 03:20 PM

I think that digital cameras are starting to have an effect on society in general. So many people have lied habitually for so long but now they are being exposed. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Wouldn't surprise me if FCA dealerships start insisting that you take your cameras out of the car before they 'work' on it
post #9 of 10 Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

@JeepCares do you have any recommendations?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 PM

Change dealership and report them.

Last edited by Cecil Patrick; 06-22-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in