Oil Pressure Light & then Jeep shuts off - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By mikeexelby
  • 1 Post By Jason Gillis

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Oil Pressure Light & then Jeep shuts off

I need help! and iam sorry if this has been posted already but i could find anything specific to whats going on with my 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd Gen, i bought it Sept '17 have had 2 oil changes in it both done @ the dealership, about 2,000 miles before the suggested oil change mileage/date the jeep shut down and engage the parking brake after driving for about 5mins. I will turn the jeep on, leave the parking lot drive about 3-4 mins the "low oil pressure" will ding then the car will shut the engine off and engage the parking brake automatically and the car stops right there where ever i am. I've spoken with the dealership numerous times about this issue- they told me at my first oil change that the issue had to do with my "motherboard" "it needed to be updated" they supposedly updated that and changed the oil--- now about 3,500 miles into the first oil change same thing started to happen again.. start the jeep drive a few minutes then low oil pressure would ding then the engine would shut off (lights and radio would stay on but the engine would shut off) and then the parking brake would automatically engage and stop the car in its tracks-- called the dealership immediately and they gave me the run down about how the jeep compass' have full synthetic and burns x amount of oil after x amount of miles then begins to explain to me that my jeep engine is essentially a generator engine with a fail safe if the oil gets to low the fail safe kicks in and shuts the engine off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 01:00 AM

UGH, fine, I'll start over. Two seconds ago I had some really unkind words written out but I'm trying to hold it back and be a little nicer.

I'm frustrated... that you apparently have not even popped the hood and checked the oil level yourself. I don't care how old or frail you are, if you can operate a vehicle you can (and should) check the oil level. This tells you key information, because one of two things are true:

1) The vehicle is actually low on oil (hence it shuts down to protect itself)
2) The vehicle THINKS it's low on oil due to a faulty sensor (and shuts down for the same reason)

We should not have to ask you this information to get started, but oh well, life goes on.

Anyways, PROBABLY it is #1. There is a tiny chance you have a defective sensor but probably not, there are a concerning number of people reporting oil consumption issues with a handful of these 2nd gen Compasses. DON'T THE REST OF YOU TAKE THOSE WORDS AND RUN WILD WITH THEM NOW! I said a HANDFUL. Thousands of new Compasses are running the roads and not using a drop, like mine, but I will admit a peculiar number of people are reporting consumption problems so thats probably the place to start.

Still assuming case #1, its really low on oil, then the next thing after you learn to CHECK the oil level is how to ADD more oil to it. If you can pour milk into your cereal in the morning without splashing it all over the counter, then congrats you have just what it takes to add oil to your car.

Your owners manual describes this in detail. Page 371 has a drawing of the engine bay with the major components labeled. Page 372 describes how to check the oil level. If you don't get any oil on the stick, add some 0W-20 oil one quart at a time until it does show up. Then add until at least halfway up the crosshatch marks on the stick.

If you don't want to be sitting stranded on the side of the road, you must learn to do this for the meantime until the dealer gets the root issue resolved. Keep a few quarts of oil with you and you at least won't have to call a tow truck from the highway.

Thats just to keep you rolling in an emergency now. It is not acceptable for a new vehicle to use this much oil, you need to keep receipts and document how much oil you are adding and when. The dealer needs to figure out why this is happening and make it stop. Lawyer up, if you have to. Ideally they would be good and take the vehicle from you and give you a loaner car until its fixed, this is what I would demand, but if they are being shady... probably lawyer time. Don't just add a quart every other week for the rest of the car's life, you don't have to take this kind of crap with a new car. But you should understand that you can get it moving again yourself without help as long as you keep some extra oil with you.

In the rare event that it shuts off but the oil level says it IS full, don't add any. This means a faulty sensor or computer component the dealer needs to fix. Vehicle will probably have to be towed.

Do NOT add any bull**** "stop leak" products, don't put anything other than normal 0W-20 motor oil in there. If you put some kind of anti-leak product in there you will almost certainly damage the engine, either in the short or the long run, and the dealer will not cover ANYTHING under warranty once they discover what you have done (unless you have a REALLY good lawyer).

Good luck.
zoner99 and 10-64 like this.

Last edited by arudlang; 06-20-2018 at 01:02 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 AM

It's ok KittCatt, my Compass is doing the same thing. FCA thinks this is OK for an engine to consume oil like this. My advice for you is to...

1. Take a picture of your dip stick pulled out showing what oil it has on it or doesn't.
2. Put enough in it (two quarts) of 0w-20 down the hole if registers nothing on the stick. If it barely registers or shows below the XXX hashings, put a quart in.
3. Drive it to the dealer and dump it. Don't take no for an answer.
4. If they say it's OK it burns a little oil no big deal, just keep driving it until the motor seizes up, that will force their hand. I mean after all, they told me "that's why you have a warranty". You have to make it expensive enough to get FCA's attention.

My dealer just keeps topping it off as no big deal. FCA won't crack the motor open and I refuse to talk with FCA Customer Care, they are as useless as a bag of dog poop.

Your compass seems to consume a bit faster than mine. About 4k miles into the oil change and not a drop will register on my stick. It's starting to be more common place as owners put more miles on these motors. As arudlang has stated, not everyone is experiencing this problem but enough are having it to cause serious concern.

Unfortunately, if your car is a lease, they won't do squat. If you bought it outright they may offer pennies on the dollar to "help" you out and buy it back which really isn't helping. They will offer only half of what the car is presently work as they know they are dealing with a lemon themselves and doesn't make financial sense to buy back a piece of crap they sold you.
10-64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 PM

The pistons are defective that is why the engine is burning oil. They have to replace the engine .
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Patrick View Post
The pistons are defective that is why the engine is burning oil. They have to replace the engine .
You tore apart his engine? I'm asking because I've never seen pistons be the cause of oil consumption mainly because they are not supposed to stop oil from reaching the combustion chamber piston rings are. And valve issues are just as likely to cause oil consumption.
arudlang likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-21-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
UGH, fine, I'll start over. Two seconds ago I had some really unkind words written out but I'm trying to hold it back and be a little nicer.

I'm frustrated... that you apparently have not even popped the hood and checked the oil level yourself. I don't care how old or frail you are, if you can operate a vehicle you can (and should) check the oil level. This tells you key information, because one of two things are true:

1) The vehicle is actually low on oil (hence it shuts down to protect itself)
2) The vehicle THINKS it's low on oil due to a faulty sensor (and shuts down for the same reason)

We should not have to ask you this information to get started, but oh well, life goes on.

Anyways, PROBABLY it is #1. There is a tiny chance you have a defective sensor but probably not, there are a concerning number of people reporting oil consumption issues with a handful of these 2nd gen Compasses. DON'T THE REST OF YOU TAKE THOSE WORDS AND RUN WILD WITH THEM NOW! I said a HANDFUL. Thousands of new Compasses are running the roads and not using a drop, like mine, but I will admit a peculiar number of people are reporting consumption problems so thats probably the place to start.

Still assuming case #1, its really low on oil, then the next thing after you learn to CHECK the oil level is how to ADD more oil to it. If you can pour milk into your cereal in the morning without splashing it all over the counter, then congrats you have just what it takes to add oil to your car.

Your owners manual describes this in detail. Page 371 has a drawing of the engine bay with the major components labeled. Page 372 describes how to check the oil level. If you don't get any oil on the stick, add some 0W-20 oil one quart at a time until it does show up. Then add until at least halfway up the crosshatch marks on the stick.

If you don't want to be sitting stranded on the side of the road, you must learn to do this for the meantime until the dealer gets the root issue resolved. Keep a few quarts of oil with you and you at least won't have to call a tow truck from the highway.

Thats just to keep you rolling in an emergency now. It is not acceptable for a new vehicle to use this much oil, you need to keep receipts and document how much oil you are adding and when. The dealer needs to figure out why this is happening and make it stop. Lawyer up, if you have to. Ideally they would be good and take the vehicle from you and give you a loaner car until its fixed, this is what I would demand, but if they are being shady... probably lawyer time. Don't just add a quart every other week for the rest of the car's life, you don't have to take this kind of crap with a new car. But you should understand that you can get it moving again yourself without help as long as you keep some extra oil with you.

In the rare event that it shuts off but the oil level says it IS full, don't add any. This means a faulty sensor or computer component the dealer needs to fix. Vehicle will probably have to be towed.

Do NOT add any bull**** "stop leak" products, don't put anything other than normal 0W-20 motor oil in there. If you put some kind of anti-leak product in there you will almost certainly damage the engine, either in the short or the long run, and the dealer will not cover ANYTHING under warranty once they discover what you have done (unless you have a REALLY good lawyer).

Good luck.
I'm impressed on how nice and helpful you were Seriously why does no one check their oil anymore.

Also running the engine dry to purposefully damage the engine is a quick way to allow FCA to wash their hands on any warranty repairs. If it's serious read up on your states lemon law or pay your friendly local lawyer to write a letter. Thats usually all it takes.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Piston rings can be the cause of excessive oil consumption. If they are defective or have some other problem the car will use oil.

VW had this issue on the 2.0l AEG engines in 1999 and 2000 model cars. I owned one and the car has always used a bit over a quart per 1500 miles. In VWs case the oil control rings were installed upside down. I had several consumption tests done and it always fell in the acceptable category for their specification.

As for the Jeep motor, it could be a similar thing. Ours has 3k on it now and I have not noted any consumption in our case.

In any case checking the oil on any car should be the norm not waiting until the car tells you it has a problem with the oil level. All cars use some oil, some very little and others considerably more this is called normal variation, there are outliers which are the small number of vehicles which may indeed need to be rebuilt.

Most manufacturers will have a specification for @1 qt per 1000 miles as the maximum consumption before they will take action. I donít know what Jeepís spec is.

Just ordered a Compass Lattitude, Blue Pearl Metallic, 6sp manual, towing, convenience, safety, lighting, cold weather due early April 2018

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in