Myriad of Questions about Purchasing and Modifying a Sport - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessica Smith

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Question Myriad of Questions about Purchasing and Modifying a Latitude 4x4

I'm going crazy trying to figure this all out, and thought I should probably just ask as I bet someone has probably already done all the research. Its my first post, so be gentle. *bites pinky*

Goal: Locate a Jeep Compass 4x4 6-speed Latitude (oddly its the same price as a Sport 4x4) here in Texas and modify it to my tastes for almost exclusively onroad use. Yeah I know its a Jeep which are known for offroad ability, but vehicles with decent stowed seats storage that can tow a motorcycle and come in a manual transmission are hard to come by.

Q1: This says I can tow 2000lbs when properly equipped (forced to remove link)... anything more than the regular tow package needed to reach that capacity?

Q2: Are 17s or 18s the way to go for max summer dry grip? I see on 17s I can actually get summer tires, like the Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/60s or 18s I can get EAGLE SPORT ALL-SEASON 225/55R18s. Any effect on towing, and any idea how porky the factory wheel options are? Thinking maybe selling the factory base Latitude and going aftermarket or Limited wheels so I can put on my desired tires may be the way to go... no?

Q3: I'd like a UConnect 8.4 like in our Charger Scat Pack without having to buy a super high trim and switch to automatic tranny (really prefer stick), so is it available/possible/affordable to yank the dash trim out, purchase one appropriate for the 8.4" screen, and connect a 8.4 non-Nav? I don't need a GPS module, I would use android auto for that.

Q4: I really want projector headlamps, hate reflectors, but it looks like its a $1500 package to get that the way they bundle. Are these relatively straight forward and available to swap out, or recommend aftermarket that accomplishes the same or better for less?

Q5: Any options I should really reconsider getting above a base Latitude?

Last edited by Jessica Smith; 07-25-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 01:27 PM

Re: Goal - Good news, the Compasses all come from the factory setup for almost exclusively on-road use. Even the trailhawks are not "real" hardcore off-road 4x4 machines, mostly aggressive trim pieces and marketing hype. There isn't going to be much of anything to "modify".

Re: Q1 - Just the regular tow package.

Re: Q2 - It doesn't matter much what size rim you have, its all about the tires (although I will say, tire options are a bit more limited in the 18 inch rim size.) No matter what rim you get, you are gonna get mediocre bottom-of-the-barrel tires, just like every other new vehicle sold in America for under $40,000. If you seriously plan to upgrade the tires do it immediately and try to get a credit for the stock tires from your dealer or see if the tire shop will flip you a few bucks for them in consideration that they are less than 100 miles basically brand new. Its worth a try.

The 17 inch rims allow for more sidewall to achieve the same overall tire height, more sidewall *can* translate into more road comfort, or perhaps I should say more road comfort with less $$$ spent on tires. I have the 18 inch rims and still running stock tires, it is obvious to me that the rubber is crap and the lack of sidewall hurts a tiny bit, but I am still running them because I am cheap. I have done 15 thousand miles of driving on them now including a few thousand miles of towing and the stockers aren't great but they get me there good enough until I feel like I've got my moneys worth and decide to upgrade.

Stay away from the 19 inch rims obviously there is not enough rubber there to ride worth a crap without spending bucko-big-bucks.

Re: Q3 - You will have to check with your dealer on that, and may have to visit more than one dealer before you find one that will work with you. Between wanting the manual, the towing package, and the 8.4 you are talking about a custom-order for sure. You will never find one equipped like this sitting already on the lot. This means you are likely going to be paying full MSRP as there is not the same wiggle room as dealing with things already on the lot. I threw in the towel here and went with the 9-speed auto. Life is just easier that way, got a Limited trim package with all the goodies I wanted and it was already on the lot, paid like $6,000 less than sticker price because it was already there and they wanted to sell it way more than they wanted to order one.

You might not be able to get better than the 7 inch screen with the manual. They have some stupid options locks with the ordering it seems like based on other people's experiences reported here. Some people have tried to go the route of buying one with the tiny crap radio and looked to "upgrade" the radio after the fact. Be wary of this, search around the forum because AFAICR nobody has fully succeeded in doing this kind of upgrade. The components of these things are too brutally coupled together on the canbus system, you really need to order one exactly the way you want it from the get-go because most parts do not easily just swap and interchange.

Re: Q4 - Aftermarket hasn't caught up yet with the 2nd gens being so new. If you can stand to wait a while eventually there may be some good options (thats what I am waiting for). It might be a lengthy wait because again even some of the lights are reportedly somehow tied into the car's computer system so if it matters a lot to you right now, just order the $1500 package. Otherwise plan to wait 1-2 years for aftermarket upgrade. I can't think of anyone off-hand who has reported success on upgrading 2nd gen headlights as of yet but you can search around.

Re: Q5 - Like I mentioned above, try try try to get it completely the way you want it from the start. The better parts do not just bolt-on, search this forum. Every person who has bought a cheap sport trim and tried to "upgrade" to the nicer bits has reported nothing but pain and suffering. You can't easily flip the 5 inch radio for an 8.4. You can't easily add the towing receiver at home in your garage and the dealer won't do it for cheap (bumper fascia changes). People who have merely tried to change the BULBs on the lower-end headlights have reported having a bad time. These things are not modular.

This is why I threw in the towel and bought automatic for the first time, I wanted the heated seats and remote start, tow package, 18 inch rims, fancy trim and all the other goodies short of the GPS and the advanced safety group (no brake-for-you-camera-BS). I found exactly that on the lot 20 miles away and been happy ever since other than the tires as mentioned above. None of them come with good tires except maybe the trailhawk.

Life with the 9 speed has been fine. Gets good mileage and you end up using manual mode for towing anything heavy anyways.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:43 PM

The only reason I own a Jeep Compass is because you can actually get a manual, 4WD, and decent options. It was pretty much this or a VW Alltrack.

If you want a manual, I believe Latitude is the highest trim you can get. You can get 7" U-connect (I do not think you can get the 8.4"), tow package, upgraded headlights, and safety package minus the collision warning/stop (must not work with the manual transmission). I was able to find one on a lot with those options and even in the color I would have ordered. Someone else ordered it and must've change his mind (windows sticker says it was built for someone anyway).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Awesome reply, thank you!

Sounds like perhaps sticking with 17s are the way to go. There are some little cheapo cars that get good tire options though, like the Fiat 500 Abarth you can get max performance summer tires for it no problem, but of course they are lower profile.
Quote:
Between wanting the manual, the towing package, and the 8.4 you are talking about a custom-order for sure.
Ah, good to know, thanks. With other manf.s I've done special orders with deposit and gotten around 3% below invoice. *fingers crossed*
Quote:
Be wary of this, search around the forum because AFAICR nobody has fully succeeded in doing this kind of upgrade. The components of these things are too brutally coupled together on the canbus system, you really need to order one exactly the way you want it from the get-go because most parts do not easily just swap and interchange.
That's disappointing. I left a message with infotainment.com that advertise easy dash/uConnect swaps for other Dodge/Jeeps, but they left the 2018 Compass out of their system... hopefully just because its too new. I may have to just deal with the 7" then, thanks! Sounds like ditto with the weak aftermarket on such a new car, just order it with the electronics package to be safe.
Quote:
Life with the 9 speed has been fine.
Thanks, but I think if I am willing to compromise on the automatic, and end up going fully loaded to get the 8.4", I'm almost approaching the cost of the Kia Sportage SX Turbo, which has 240hp, AWD, and can still tow the same 2K lbs, and is probably higher performance on the street w/ a longer warranty.

Last edited by Jessica Smith; 07-25-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira2 View Post
It was pretty much this or a VW Alltrack.
Thanks, and yeah VW Alltracks are also great, but not only would you have to special order a MTX as well as they are rainbow farting unicorns (at least in Texas), but I found out they have not just low but ZERO tow capacity. Weak!

MTXs are a dying breed in non-sportscars and super budget econoboxes, but I'm determined to get one of the last Mohicans and probably keep the car for 100K miles minimum knowing me.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:09 PM

Jessica to be honest with you for a strictly on road SUV that will be doing towing duty I would consider another vehicle. The little Compass only has 2 shining lights 1. It looks great in my opinion so much better than anything in its class for the price. 2nd they do great off road especially the Trailhawk. We love our Trailhawk and can tell you it is much more than marketing that goes into this trim. But if it were not for the fact we go off road I would have picked another SUV.

In other SUVs your going to find more HP and torque to get you moving faster plus towing better. Your going to find better ride and much better MPG.

But at the price you might have to settle for a less loaded vehicle. These things have a lot of value for the price.

If you do decide to stick with the Compass and go automatic to get the other cool stuff and higher tow rating you might consider the Trailhawk even if you don't off road. Here is why the Trailhawks get a better axle gear ratio than the other trims this makes them better for towing. I also see a lot of people complaining their Compass feels slow but I have always felt ours has plenty of zip to do what we want and need it to do I think the better gearing helps here as well.

Now for a bit of bad news many of us have had a noise issue like a grinding or groaning sound between 30-40 MPH. You might hear it from day one or might pop up thousands of miles down the road. This is a well known issue on both the Compass and the Renegade 4x4. I see on a post made today that there is a TBS on this finely maybe a fix. If I were looking at a Compass or Renegade I would be paying attention to this as we don't know if damage is accompanying this noise/vibration or not. If your sensitive to low frequency sounds at very least it will get on your nerves. I can hear ours even with the radio volume up pretty high. So keep this in mind.

Best luck on whatever you end up getting!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:59 PM

Garage
I was looking for a similar package as you. I ended up settling on the 7" screen and didn't pay for the light upgrade. The 7" screen was an easy compromise for me. I use android auto to display google maps for nav and the 7" screen works great. The 7" also seems to have less issues than the 8.4 from comments on the forum. Other than that, the extra screen size doesn't add much value when all you need to do is change the radio station or turn on the AC. The lights are a bit of a bummer, but I can think of a whole lot of things I'd rather spend $1500 than headlights (Weekend in Europe, Gibson Les Paul, 1 month of daycare for 2 kids, 15 kegs, etc)

Other than that, over the years I've seen several examples of transmission replacements when people consistently tow near the rated limit. I have no idea how the Compass will do in this respect, but if your towing close to 2000 lbs more than a few times a year you may want to upgrade to something with a beefier drivetrain.

I've been happy with our compass over the last year we've had it. With the manual trans it gets 30-32mpg on our 1500mi round trips we do twice a year to see family. Mixed driving is around 25.

Final note... I ordered the compass to get the exact package we wanted. That way we didn't have to settle on what was available. As others have said, get the package you want and don't try to upgrade after the fact. The only exception is I purchased and installed the roof rack myself. The dealer wanted over $500. I did it for less than $250 for the same OEM hardware.

2018 Compass Latitude 4x4 6sp - Pref group, Cold Weather, Tow pkg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BigBlock; 07-25-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
Jessica to be honest with you for a strictly on road SUV that will be doing towing duty I would consider another vehicle. The little Compass only has 2 shining lights 1. It looks great in my opinion so much better than anything in its class for the price.
They definitely are sexy, they got that right! Inside is nice and I'm used to uConnect maybe which is why I like it so much better than alternatives. I have considered alternatives still available with stick.
1) Subaru Crosstrek - slow/subaru interior/500lbs less towing
2) Subaru Forester - slow as only available in base engine/subaru interior
3) VW Alltrack - Can't tow anything
4) Jeep Renegade - Not faster/Can't tow anything w/ 1.4L turbo and MTX
5) Honda HRV - Slow/ Can't tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
Now for a bit of bad news many of us have had a noise issue like a grinding or groaning sound between 30-40 MPH.
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard about that. Renegade has been out a while, so that's disturbing that went unaddressed so long.

I could even live with FWD, but AWD (well Jeep says 4WD) is needed for towing, if nothing else. Hmmmmm... BTW, on towing I don't plan to tow often or huge amounts and only flat terrain. Just a motorcycle now and then, maybe some mulch at the beginning of the season, move a couch, stuff like that where I'd rent one of the smaller UHaul trailers.

Thanks again, I learned a lot already, including that I am in fact not a robot, with a nice congratulatory green checkmark under this post, alleviating any concerns I'm a sleeper-agent synth.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Smith View Post
They definitely are sexy, they got that right! Inside is nice and I'm used to uConnect maybe which is why I like it so much better than alternatives. I have considered alternatives still available with stick.
1) Subaru Crosstrek - slow/subaru interior/500lbs less towing
2) Subaru Forester - slow as only available in base engine/subaru interior
3) VW Alltrack - Can't tow anything
4) Jeep Renegade - Not faster/Can't tow anything w/ 1.4L turbo and MTX
5) Honda HRV - Slow/ Can't tow

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard about that. Renegade has been out a while, so that's disturbing that went unaddressed so long.

I could even live with FWD, but AWD (well Jeep says 4WD) is needed for towing, if nothing else. Hmmmmm... BTW, on towing I don't plan to tow often or huge amounts and only flat terrain. Just a motorcycle now and then, maybe some mulch at the beginning of the season, move a couch, stuff like that where I'd rent one of the smaller UHaul trailers.

Thanks again, I learned a lot already, including that I am in fact not a robot, with a nice congratulatory green checkmark under this post, alleviating any concerns I'm a sleeper-agent synth.

Your very welcome! We looked at the Forester with the 6sp and was sure that is what we were going to get. But after really looking at the Compass there was just no compassion they are totally different vehicles and the Jeep was more in tune with what we wanted with more bang for the buck. Then we looked at 6SP vs automatic and the fact the Trailhawk is only available with the auto. My biggest thing with stick vs Auto was durability and fun factor of the manual transmission. Plus future cost a clutch is much cheaper to replace than having the automatic rebuilt.

One of the places Jeep won was extended warranty. Subaru extended warranty goes to like 120k. But with Jeep Mopar has a lifetime unlimited mileage extended warranty that covers almost everything. We will be getting this next year if we continue to love this Compass as we do now. The plan we are looking at is just over a couple of grand with a $200 deductible per visit. So if the automatic goes out at 100k or 200k it will only cost 200 bucks to get it fixed I can live with this.

The manual mode on the auto takes care of the fun factor as well as how capable the Trailhawk is off road. We would have already ripped the low front air dam on other tims off a few times over by now. LOL

I have yet to tow anything we had the dealer install the hitch and wiring as part of our contract because we use hitch mounted bike racks constantly. But it would not not bother me to tow 1500 lbs even here in the mountains if I needed to. I would set the dash to monitor trans temp and use manual mode for 1st gear starts. The Compass automatic starts off in 2nd gear normally so to get 1st gear you have to use manual mode. Another note is this is a true 9sp transmission made by ZF and they make some nice transmissions. This is not a CVT unit like in the Subaru and others that have proved very troublesome.

But do make sure to get your Compass with the tow package. It is expensive to add the hitch and wiring at the dealership. Also these little Jeeps have an odd option which is a spare tire! That's right standard equipment is no spare tire. A compact spare is like $245 option. But if you add either the tow package for $495 or the Trailhawk trim you then get a full size spare so the tow package is worth the bit extra just to get a full spare right off the rip.

One last thing on towing is that If your towing a lot or might push the tow limit I might would pass on the Limited trim. It has the worse gear ratio for towing and is better geared for interstate cruising.

I would get the latitude and load it up if you don't want the trailhawk. If you stick with getting a manual trans your most likely still better off in this trim and loading it up. As mentioned the aftermarket is still catching up so picking is slim right now. Also with lights and such the Canbus system really gets in the way. Even adding factory type fog lights is a huge pain! We have a member on here that bought the factory lights and switch and is still looking at a nightmare to get them working. So get as much of everything you want and need as you can afford!

Now as I said despite getting a little less MPG and having a stiffer ride the groaning noise and not as much zip as other SUVs in this class/price point we still love ours. Infact my wife has never been one to get attached to vehicles but this Jeep she is attached to she doesn't even like leaving it for a few hours at the service department. If we had the chance to do it all over again I would in a heartbeat! LOL
Old 07-25-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock
over the years I've seen several examples of transmission replacements when people consistently tow near the rated limit.
Don't forget these new 2nd gens use an entirely different, proven ZF9 so if the previous autos had durability issues thats too bad but those are not the transmissions we are using now. They use the ZF9 in larger/heavier/more powerful vehicles than the Compass so I have zero concerns about whether it will last in this vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock
With the manual trans it gets 30-32mpg on our 1500mi round trips we do twice a year to see family. Mixed driving is around 25.
Same mileage I get with our 9 speed. Best rural trip mileage I have pulled with ours was 38 MPG for 150 miles, but the upper twenties is more typical for my 10 mile daily drives to work and back on the 4 lane highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs
it would not not bother me to tow 1500 lbs even here in the mountains if I needed to. I would set the dash to monitor trans temp and use manual mode for 1st gear starts.
I just pulled 3600 pounds through the mountains in West Virginia this past weekend. I paid close attention in the hilly areas and the flats between there and Minnesota. The only limiting factor is the power of the 2.4. Temps for coolant, oil, and transmission were the same as they always are and only rise a bit if you run 4-5k RPMs uphill for 45 seconds or more, and then they come right back down. The highest temps I noted on the drive home were within 10 degrees of the highest temps recorded on the way out there with no trailer. Like I keep saying, I'm going to post more about this trip later, just been busy since I got home. The short of it is that this thing can haul a motorcycle any day all day as many miles as you can stand to drive.

Quote:
The Compass automatic starts off in 2nd gear normally so to get 1st gear you have to use manual mode.
^*This is only true of the trailhawk trim.

Quote:
One last thing on towing is that If your towing a lot or might push the tow limit I might would pass on the Limited trim. It has the worse gear ratio for towing and is better geared for interstate cruising.
I beg to differ based on my experience, and I tow more weight and more often than ANYONE here with my limited trim and am having terrific success. We got 30 MPG driving to West Virginia with no trailer, and we were hauling @$$ with no cares about mileage whatsoever. Mileage coming back well, I was going on double the rated limit, you can guess it was not fantastic (15 MPG average at 72-75 MPH, at that speed the wind resistance of the enclosed box trailer is what was really killing me but I just wanted to get home). To be clear, I'm not going to recommend anyone ever tow that much that fast, when I do my big detailed towing post I'm going to recommend a lower sanity limit but its going to be one of those "do as I say, not as I do" things.

You've got a lot of people here with opinions and theories about the limits and then a handful of us with experience who have actually gone looking for the limits and put it to the test. Weigh the information however you like. I'm 15k miles and all good so far but my trans could drop out on the ground tomorrow as a result of my shenanigans, until it does or doesn't I can't say whether its safe for anyone to follow in my footsteps. Fortune favors the bold but also punishes the foolish.

---------------------

Switching gears briefly on advice, these 2nd gen ones are still getting some kinks worked out it seems so I have been giving people my 2-cents that its better to start out with a lease and make sure you don't win the lemon lottery, then buy it out once you know you got a good one. We are thrilled with ours and on track to owing it forever, but some people have come here with stories of being less lucky. (Complainers are always louder than happy people, tho).

On the "grinding/humming noise" ours has done it since day one and despite my obvious best attempts to exploderize it I haven't been able to kill mine yet. Seems like a normal operating noise to me and Jeep has basically said as much once upon a time but now it looks like enough people have complained they are putting out a software update for it. I don't really care, its a really mild hum that happens twice in a while and it drives great so I keep running the snot out of it.

---------------------

One more random thought, there is all of one person I can think of on here who has the manual transmission and has documented some light towing. You should see if you can dig up his posts and read his opinion. I love manual transmissions dearly but I have to say the world of automatic is much better for towing. First gear in the manuals has been described as "too fast for crawling" and just based on what I have read doesn't bode well for sitting with a trailer in stop-and-go traffic or anything like that. May be fine if you are just towing 1500 lbs occasionally for medium distances but if you hit a traffic jam you will possibly be compelled to pull off the road and wait for it to clear up because a fast first-gear + trailer + stop/go traffic sounds to me like a recipe for a bad time. Ultimately as you can see this lead to me getting the 9 speed, and having a ton of gears to pick from is what made it possible for this little motor to haul that overweight trailer through the mountains. With a 6 speed and the traffic I hit I don't think I could have done it, just saying.

Manual transmissions are awesome and I don't want to see them go away but they really only shine when you have a good one in a nice car. In a truck or SUV, its less exciting (to me).

---------------------

Alright well I'm sure everyone is good and sick of my pretentious spewing of 2-cents now so I'll quit typing. I'm just one person with experience with my one Compass. A lot of people have provided great input here, actually functioning as a helpful bunch instead of bickering, its great :P
Old 07-26-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Best rural trip mileage I have pulled with ours was 38 MPG for 150 miles, but the upper twenties is more typical for my 10 mile daily drives to work and back on the 4 lane highway.
Wifes drive to and from work yields 22-23 MPG but it is a horrible drive for MPG. Start off at 35 MPH then a mile or so at 45 MPH. Then 30 MPH with a big hill to climb and go back down then a bunch of twisty mountain roads making you slow down to 15-20 MPH then back up to 30. Sounds long but it is all over in 10 minute or less so by the time she gets to work and shuts off the Jeep it has just warmed up good were it would get better MPG. Then reverse trip home.

On the interstate at 70-75 MPH rolling terrain we see anywhere from 26 to 30 MPG so no complaints there.

Quote:
I just pulled 3600 pounds through the mountains in West Virginia this past weekend. I paid close attention in the hilly areas and the flats between there and Minnesota. The only limiting factor is the power of the 2.4. Temps for coolant, oil, and transmission were the same as they always are and only rise a bit if you run 4-5k RPMs uphill for 45 seconds or more, and then they come right back down. The highest temps I noted on the drive home were within 10 degrees of the highest temps recorded on the way out there with no trailer. Like I keep saying, I'm going to post more about this trip later, just been busy since I got home. The short of it is that this thing can haul a motorcycle any day all day as many miles as you can stand to drive.
I have found my biggest issue was going up steep grades at lower speeds the transmission picks up heat quickly. Worse has been crawling up steep grades at 15 MPH or less in 2nd. It is a bit mind blowing because the engine is not straining at all and taking very little throttle to climb but the transmission just does not like it. Last time wheeling I ran up the same steep part of a forestry road that takes you up to one of the peaks on the mountain twice. The first time I just left the Jeep in automatic mode. Then we let it cool down to normal temp and went up in 1st the temperature difference was pretty significant. So I'll be using 1st gear more often

However even running steepish grades at higher speeds ~30 MPH we have watched the temp gauge climb quickly to near 200* I can't help to think that towing even 1500 pounds in this case might push it too far. No biggie as I have like 3 vehicles to tow with if I needed to tow in these steep areas. Like the road to my parents house. It is a private road but the residents tried to get the county or state to take over maintenance and make it a public road. The reply was that the grades on this road exceed the limit placed on road grades because of equipment limitations. LOL

Another issue with pushing rated weight would be engine power here where I'm at. We have some nasty climbs even on the two lanes some have truck lanes or passing lanes others do not. So for me I would not want push the weight rating and have to crawl up these grades with traffic stuck behind me. These nuts think nothing of passing in blind curves or hills. We knew going in we would not be towing more than a canoe or riding mower on a trailer with this Jeep. Anything more than that we would just use one of the trucks. I do agree though a motorcycle on a trailer should not be an issue at all.

I thought all trims started in 2nd gear but if yours starts normily in 1st then I'm definitely wrong. It makes sense in the trailhawk with it's 4:33 gears. I have played around with 1st gear take off from redlights it goes good but that 1st 2nd shift needs to be quick to make the tach happy. LOL

Quote:
I beg to differ based on my experience, and I tow more weight and more often than ANYONE here with my limited trim and am having terrific success.
Yes yes you may be happy with towing with your limited. But I still think you would be better off with the 4.33s

This is simple math and physics a 4.33 gear with nearly same size tire is going to tow better with less effort and stress than a 3.83 same goes for the 3.83 found in non-Trailhawks up to the Limited that gets 3.73. Now granted there is not that huge difference between the 3.83 and the 3.73 but when towing with a little 4 cylinder take all you can get. (I did think this difference was larger honestly. I thought I had seen the limited at around 3.50 but looking just now that might have been just FWD or bad info not 4wd which says 3.73 now I see why your not crying over towing heavy in the mountains a 3.50 gear ratio would suck for towing in these things.)

Quote:
You've got a lot of people here with opinions and theories about the limits and then a handful of us with experience who have actually gone looking for the limits and put it to the test. Weigh the information however you like. I'm 15k miles and all good so far but my trans could drop out on the ground tomorrow as a result of my shenanigans, until it does or doesn't I can't say whether its safe for anyone to follow in my footsteps. Fortune favors the bold but also punishes the foolish.
Your still falling crazy short of testing done at FCA to determine what is safe to tow for stability,durability and safety. I have done a lot of heavy towing in my years and years of driving and I know how quickly things go from feeling great to flying south. I'm here to say to others stick close to the weight rating when towing and drop that number accordingly if hualing in steep terrain with these little 4 banger SUVs. They simply lack the power and very possibly durability,stability and braking to haul 4000 pounds in such conditions. I think the 2000 pounds they are rated for is more than enough especially in the mountains. Personally again I would figure on 1500 pounds just to be on the safer side of things and not feel badly underpowered going up hill.

Quote:
Switching gears briefly on advice, these 2nd gen ones are still getting some kinks worked out it seems so I have been giving people my 2-cents that its better to start out with a lease and make sure you don't win the lemon lottery, then buy it out once you know you got a good one. We are thrilled with ours and on track to owing it forever, but some people have come here with stories of being less lucky. (Complainers are always louder than happy people, tho).

On the "grinding/humming noise" ours has done it since day one and despite my obvious best attempts to exploderize it I haven't been able to kill mine yet. Seems like a normal operating noise to me and Jeep has basically said as much once upon a time but now it looks like enough people have complained they are putting out a software update for it. I don't really care, its a really mild hum that happens twice in a while and it drives great so I keep running the snot out of it.
Yes there are some kinks that are getting fixed like this grinding noise which FCA has yet to have given a mechanical explanation for so we don't know if it is causing damage increased wear on parts or not. In one letter they are calling it normal in others they are replacing parts and pushing a software fix which it finely has ready we hope! I still argue if it it does not make this noise sometimes for a few thousand miles of ownership it cannot be considered normal. If most of these Compass/Renegade seem to not have this issue it cannot be considered normal!!!!!

I ask my sevice department which is also a huge Renegade seller about this last week while getting oil changed. They said they have worked on many of them and even ones that needed new diffs or rear PTUs did not present with this type of behavior. Yes the description of the sound is right but ones they worked on made noise regardless of speed or mode of operation. They were very curious as to what this could be but they could not look at it then. They did have it hooked up to check for codes and said it was ok. But TSB seems to be going deeper into the codes and says they might not trigger codes that turn on the MIL. So I'm thinking they have to dig a bit to get to these codes. All of them with something in common the word fail in the middle Tcfailsts,Transmissionfailsts,Dstfailsts ect. So if this is the case it looks like computer is seeing things fail to do what they are suppose to I would think. But I admit when it comes to computer code in cars I'm not up to speed. We will see what they say on Monday!

If one could lease and drive before buying that would be the best solution but honestly the way ours has been if this TSB fixes the noise I think most would do just fine. Other than the noise we had the start stop not available message come on a while back but seems to have fixed itself. But everything else has been just fine!
Old 07-26-2018, 04:01 PM

get the stick

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
Old 07-26-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I had never considered lease-to-buy as an insurance policy option. Definitely something to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
get the stick
*fetches stick and drops back at joninpa's feet*

woof woof!
Chris Jacobs likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in