oil changes - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By newsnose
  • 1 Post By Tripod
  • 1 Post By RayInStl
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mdram4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ES of Md
Posts: 242
 
Garage
oil changes

so i had my first oil change at @ 5k

now 3k later, its saying i need another

905 highway driving.

is there soemthing that needs to be reset when you get an oil change?

2018 Compass Latitude
mdram4x4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Subscribing Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 29
 
Page 107 of the owner's manual:

• Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Oil Change Due” message will
display in the instrument cluster display for five seconds
after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the next
scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent
upon your personal driving style.
• Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time the ignition is cycled to the ON/RUN position.
• To reset the oil change indicator after performing the
scheduled maintenance, refer to the following procedure.

Models Equipped With Keyless Enter-N-Go — Ignition
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to the ON/
RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully push the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Cycle the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.
arudlang and Jasmine like this.
newsnose is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-06-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mdram4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ES of Md
Posts: 242
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsnose View Post
Page 107 of the owner's manual:

• Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Oil Change Due” message will
display in the instrument cluster display for five seconds
after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the next
scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent
upon your personal driving style.
• Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time the ignition is cycled to the ON/RUN position.
• To reset the oil change indicator after performing the
scheduled maintenance, refer to the following procedure.

Models Equipped With Keyless Enter-N-Go — Ignition
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to the ON/
RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully push the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Cycle the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.
so that means i dont need one? have to see if the mechanic reset it when he did the oil change

2018 Compass Latitude
mdram4x4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 08-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 380
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
so that means i dont need one? have to see if the mechanic reset it when he did the oil change
Depends on if it was rested in the first place or not. If not, the system is assuming you didn't change the oil for 8K miles, so it would be normal.
Tripod is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-06-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mdram4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ES of Md
Posts: 242
 
Garage
talked to mechanic, he normally resets them, but says it doesnt always take.

edit: the messege was not on there when i took it in @ 5k. so he had no way to know if it reset or not

2018 Compass Latitude
mdram4x4 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 728
 
My first two oil change messages were just shy of 8 thousand miles each, I'm guessing that trend will continue so I am doing an oil change WITHOUT reset at 4k miles in between the ones the computer calls for and so far that is working out pretty good for me, but I am the type of personality who is always watching the odometer and thinking about when the next oil change interval will come up. If you aren't that kind of person all you need to do is simply drive it until it says "give me an oil change" and everything will be fine.
arudlang is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-06-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mdram4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ES of Md
Posts: 242
 
Garage
i set my trip B at the last change, and check the miles on it periodically
i usually do changed @ 5k since i drive highway miles

2018 Compass Latitude
mdram4x4 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
joninpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Northampton County, PA
Posts: 136
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
i usually do changed @ 5k since i drive highway miles
why? you go longer without changing if you do highway miles

The reason why yours came on after the change is because you got the oil changed too early, and they didn't reset it. If you waited until the indicator comes on then you should be OK and the mechanics will see the indicator and remember to do the steps to reset it.

I used to do 5k with conventional oil, now with all cars switching to synthetics I will go 7k+

my wife's vehicle does not commute so it's much less highway driving and we change hers around 5k just because it sits for so long.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual

Last edited by joninpa; 08-09-2018 at 02:33 AM.
joninpa is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-08-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mdram4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: ES of Md
Posts: 242
 
Garage
i know i can go longer than 5k, but my brain just wont let me

i consider it cheap peace of mind

i only pay @ $35 for a change.

given i drive @ 30k a year thats only $210 a year

2018 Compass Latitude
mdram4x4 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
 
I'm no help. I have the same problem but I can't register. I've tried, 10x's
CompassRose is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 07-25-2019, 01:39 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 2
 
I changed the oil in my '18 Compass 6 speed manual for the first time @ 5500 miles since the indicator had never come on (with full synthetic) and obviously there was nothing to reset. At 11000 miles and still no indicator I changed it again, and again obviously no indicator to reset (and full synthetic once again with 1 quart of Lucas). Now, at 13000 miles the "oil change required indicator" has finally come on. Should I really believe that my oil needs changing with just 2000 miles on it, or just ignore the indicator and wait until 16500 as I had planned at my normal 5500 mile synthetic interval? Is it possible that the higher viscosity Lucas supplement may be throwing off the sensor?
joesjeeps72 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 07-25-2019, 04:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 380
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesjeeps72 View Post
I changed the oil in my '18 Compass 6 speed manual for the first time @ 5500 miles since the indicator had never come on (with full synthetic) and obviously there was nothing to reset. At 11000 miles and still no indicator I changed it again, and again obviously no indicator to reset (and full synthetic once again with 1 quart of Lucas). Now, at 13000 miles the "oil change required indicator" has finally come on. Should I really believe that my oil needs changing with just 2000 miles on it, or just ignore the indicator and wait until 16500 as I had planned at my normal 5500 mile synthetic interval? Is it possible that the higher viscosity Lucas supplement may be throwing off the sensor?
There is no sensor, it is a duty based system. Since you never reset the system after an oil change, it is just showing up the 1st oil change.

What kind of additive are you using? I wouldn't use any additive or different viscosity oil with this type of engine that uses oil as hydraulic fluid.
Jasmine likes this.
Tripod is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 PM
Junior Member
 
RayInStl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 10
 
The only thing I'd put Lucas anything in is something that had a noise and I was trying to quiet it down to sell. Never would I let that stuff anywhere near a car I planned to keep.
lundy likes this.
RayInStl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome