Swap oem LED highlights assembly - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 Old 08-11-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Swap oem LED highlights assembly

Just wanted to know has anyone who has a compass with Halogen assembly. Was able to replace with a OEM LED assembly? In the past I was about to do it with 2012 Ford F-150. I had to get a chip to trick the computer to accept the lights. That’s another thing, why do you need to reprogram or trick the computer to get lights to work?? I don’t understand why, this is what most Car manufactures have been doing lately I’ve noticed.🤬🤬
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 PM

Many newer vehicles have a system to alert the driver if an important light has blown or become otherwise not working . In the case of our Jeeps it is using a canbus system to do this. It is fine with stock bulbs but Leds work different and require a circuit to keep the Canbus happy.

It has been brought to our attention that the stock Bi-Xenon HID Headlamps (part of the safty/lighting package) looks to have the ballast included in the housing and looks like it plugs in the same. What is not known right now is if the system would need programming to make these lights work. Sadly as far as I know no one here has done this swap for one reason it is very expensive then not knowing the other cost involved that may be needs to program them!

I'm hoping the aftermarket catches up and offers headlights like these that are either plug and play or can use stock halogen bulbs so we could put Canbus compatible bulbs in them.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-12-2018, 04:24 AM

Has anyone tried these from eBay? Those Chinese are pretty clever, I'd bet they work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Headli...53.m1438.l2649

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 Sport FWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-12-2018, 09:19 PM

Bumper has to be completely removed to change the headlight housing, it's somewhat of a task. I have a post describing how to remove the bumper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #5 of 22 Old 08-12-2018, 09:48 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinacop View Post
Has anyone tried these from eBay? Those Chinese are pretty clever, I'd bet they work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Headli...53.m1438.l2649
OUCH! Not for $950.00 US!
post #6 of 22 Old 08-12-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Wow they are pricey, but look very nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 22 Old 08-28-2018, 01:10 AM

I spent about a half hour talking to the parts department worker at the dealer that I bought my Compass at. We spent a long time looking high and low for the part number of the LED tail lights that fits the Compass. As we were searching, he remembered a contact, and ended up locating a set of LED tail lights in mint condition pulled off of a wrecked '18 Compass for $160 each. I'll have them on Thursday. As soon as I have absolutely confirmed that these are indeed the LED units that I've been promised they are, I should have more to share with the group in my original LED lighting thread. Stay tuned..........
post #8 of 22 Old 08-29-2018, 06:24 PM

Tails shouldn't be an issue, connections are the same. Headlights however have the same connections except halogen has an extra for the side marker light, the LED does not. That being said they should work but you'd have to tape up/seal the side marker light connector from elements. You can find pictures of both OEM halogen and OEM led headlamps on eBay, most have broken mounting tabs but the connections appear the same & same pin count.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-29-2018, 06:53 PM

I wouldn't spend that for non-OEM, when OEM is around that price, and OEM would have mopar parts warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-64 View Post
OUCH! Not for $950.00 US!

post #10 of 22 Old 01-06-2019, 12:09 AM

Headlamps

LED Projector DRL Xenon HID Headlights Assembly For Jeep Compass 2017+ on ebay.ca

US $ 526

How to remove front bumper?
post #11 of 22 Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 PM

You might want to check out the AlfaOBD thread we have going on. This software allows you to enable/configure features like LED headlights in the body computer. We can use some testers. You can download the free demo app to get an idea of what can be changed.

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...-software.html
http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...BD.AlfaOBDDemo
post #12 of 22 Old 01-07-2019, 10:27 PM

Garage
Many LED kit comes with a set of CANBUS error cancelers that's able to fool the CANBUS system that it's just an ordinary halogen bulb. I've installed them in several late model vehicles with no issue. The biggest problem is having enough room in the headlight assembly for this device and additional wiring.
post #13 of 22 Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cr2k View Post
You might want to check out the AlfaOBD thread we have going on. This software allows you to enable/configure features like LED headlights in the body computer. We can use some testers. You can download the free demo app to get an idea of what can be changed.

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...-software.html

http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...BD.AlfaOBDDemo
Enabling things that still require wiring that's not present unless it was factory equipped is beyond 99% of owners.

post #14 of 22 Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
Enabling things that still require wiring that's not present unless it was factory equipped is beyond 99% of owners.

Ummm, installing LED headlight bulbs is literally just making sure that you have CANNBUS compatible bulbs, and plugging them into the OEM wiring. With a little bit of careful attention, you can neatly tuck that added length of wire, and the little black box for the CANNBUS override into the housing, and still put the caps back on.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-10-2019, 02:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Ummm, installing LED headlight bulbs is literally just making sure that you have CANBUS compatible bulbs, and plugging them into the OEM wiring. With a little bit of careful attention, you can neatly tuck that added length of wire, and the little black box for the CANBUS override into the housing, and still put the caps back on.
Personally, I think I have done the most LED conversion on the site. The whole car is now LED inside and out. The CANBUS system only checks for the following bulbs and everything else is plug and play.

Front turn signal (yellow blinking bulb next to DRL)
Taillight brake/turn signal (the breaking bulb is also the turn signal)
Parking lights (front and back)

Everything else that I have switched has had no need for CANBUS special bulbs. List below on everything that didn't need special bulbs or resistor.

DRL
Headlight low/high beams
Fog Lights
Reverse lights
All interior bulbs (just FYI these are all T10 you need 7 in total, don't know the mirror bulbs yet)

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #16 of 22 Old 01-14-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Ummm, installing LED headlight bulbs is literally just making sure that you have CANNBUS compatible bulbs, and plugging them into the OEM wiring. With a little bit of careful attention, you can neatly tuck that added length of wire, and the little black box for the CANNBUS override into the housing, and still put the caps back on.
My response was about headlamps (that's what the bulbs go into) not bulbs.. you can't add something and turn it on in the BCM if there isn't wiring in the harness/connector to activate said feature or plug into the unit.. For example, a lot of cars used to come prewired for fogs even if fogs weren't added when built, they could be added later by customer/dealer, having that extra and possibly unused wire adds cost and everyone is cutting costs down to meet price points and increase profit.

A prime example is you can't add the LED tails to the hatch lid on a halogen equipped compass because the LED accent lighting wiring is not there. Sure you can buy the proper harness and swap it but the average owner is not capable and cost is not cheap (and it's a pain in the ass too) I work in a FCA factory, I know exactly how these are built and extra wires aren't there just in case.

Last edited by dawm; 01-14-2019 at 07:14 AM.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass2ndgenguy View Post
Personally, I think I have done the most LED conversion on the site. The whole car is now LED inside and out. The CANBUS system only checks for the following bulbs and everything else is plug and play.

Everything else that I have switched has had no need for CANBUS special bulbs. List below on everything that didn't need special bulbs or resistor.

DRL
Headlight low/high beams
Fog Lights
Reverse lights
All interior bulbs (just FYI these are all T10 you need 7 in total, don't know the mirror bulbs yet)

I beg to differ on the headlights, I tried both LED and HID in mine, both worked fine until you start the engine at which point they flash on and off randomly a few times before just turning off!
Fortunately the Drlís are bright enough to just about still see in the dark!
I now have 100w halogens in there, slight improvement but would still find candles more useful!
Mine is a 2012 compass with projector lamps!
post #18 of 22 Old 01-15-2019, 01:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty9uk View Post
Quote:

DRL
Headlight low/high beams
Fog Lights
Reverse lights

I beg to differ on the headlights, I tried both LED and HID in mine, both worked fine until you start the engine at which point they flash on and off randomly a few times before just turning off!
Fortunately the Drl’s are bright enough to just about still see in the dark!
I now have 100w halogens in there, slight improvement but would still find candles more useful!
Mine is a 2012 compass with projector lamps!
I have a 2017 gen 2 compass your in the gen 2 compass part of the forum. So my info isn't relevant to your 2012 compass. My crap eBay led I put in for the time being don't even have a wiring ballast and no issues.

Would be glad to help your issue though! Let's find you the right resistor! What bulbs do a 2012 use? You can just pm me...

K

"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #19 of 22 Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Hi, I was under the impression that the second generation were the 2011 - 2017 models!
So I stand corrected, apologies!
Mine has projector lenses and is fitted with H9 65w bulbs which are almost pointless!
I tried a set of eBay leds ďwith canbus ď supported, and a set of Hids also canbus, both to the same effect, flicker and then turn off, ironically they donít do it straight away, they wait until youíve travelled for a few minutes and then go out after building your confidence up!
Sorry I canít PM yet, donít have enough posts!
post #20 of 22 Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:

DRL
Headlight low/high beams
Fog Lights
Reverse lights
How did you get the computer to quit bitching about the brake lights? I did LED's, had load resistors, and still couldn't silence that alarm. I finally gave up and put the incandescent back in. I'm all ears to get those to LED as well. Also, Headlights ARE part of the CANNBUS system. I had a set of them that the load resistors were bad, and yup, got the bulb out indicator. My bet is that yours has the load resistors built in.
post #21 of 22 Old 02-11-2019, 06:59 PM

Soooo, can you swap halogen head/tails for LED head/tails or what??!
post #22 of 22 Old 02-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
How did you get the computer to quit bitching about the brake lights? I did LED's, had load resistors, and still couldn't silence that alarm. I finally gave up and put the incandescent back in. I'm all ears to get those to LED as well. Also, Headlights ARE part of the CANNBUS system. I had a set of them that the load resistors were bad, and yup, got the bulb out indicator. My bet is that yours has the load resistors built in.

Well, I have not had my car over a month because they can't find a headliner connector thing... nothing to do with any of this. Anyway, it is in the shop now with this combo that the resistor harness did not fit in my tail light socket. I just modded the resistor plug into the tail light to fit. Here is the combo that is in the jeep right now, the red led looks good just the fit of the resistor harness sucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Canbus-...3/122910818667
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-2x-7...6/123353209141

It will be changed to just this LED light from Last once I get it back. It is what I use for the front turn signals and no error unless I am sitting at a light for a long time and it has been on. It will throw hyper flash at a long light, by long I mean you sat through it twice or your just on the secondary street to the main road during peak hours. read description. No code or hyper flash otherwise in normal use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-Ambe...t/273627593045 - going to use in the rear, want to use to help with red no white as the flashbacks can have.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-3057...h/123482315898 - in the front currently

As for the headlight bulbs. I am not sure what to tell you... I have cheap iron wall's in right now that throw zero codes from eBay. I am doing full headlight assembly swap with the china ones that look like Cherokee headlights that are Xeon and have a ballast and everything. They modded them to fit my plugs and everything... WHEN I GET MY JEEP BACK I CAN DO THIS!!!

K

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in