Newbie - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By zsc1991
  • 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By Jasmine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2018, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Greetings All!

For some reason my intro post never showed, so I'll try again. I bought a 2018 Compass Lattitude the end of May to replace my beloved 2008 Patriot. The Patriot was still doing fine with nearly 300,000 miles, but traveling the state in all kinds of weather I decided to get something new. I stuck with my dealer and the Jeep brand. My Compass is dark blue, AWD with the 2.4/9-spd automatic tranny.

Only downer is the needless complexity.
  • Why must the headlights come on when I open the rear hatch? Seems pretty useless waste of battery power.
  • What's with the e-brake auto-engaging? If I want it on I'll set it myself. Just one more distraction.
  • Is shutting off the engine at every red light or stop sign really saving fuel? I've learned to shut that 'feature' off as soon as I start. I live on a dirt road that intersects the state highway on an upgrade inside of a curve -- the hesitation could be deadly. There are plenty of other places it could be dangerous, too: anytime a quick start is needed. If a car stumbled every time someone started up from a stop it would go to the garage for repair. Instead, this vehicle is designed to do that!?!? IMO that should be banned. Must we save a spoonful of fuel at the risk of a life?

On the bright side, the fuel economy is fantastic. I'm getting well over 30MPG overall, in fact by the (optimistic) EVIC I've averaged 31.2MPG over the 7000 since I've owned it. By my calculations that is about .5MPG high, but regardless, that has been a pleasant surprise.

My only fear is the 9-spd a/t. I hope it proves to be durable, but a tranny that downshifts for a mere headwind makes me wonder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
  • What's with the e-brake auto-engaging? If I want it on I'll set it myself. Just one more distraction.
  • Is shutting off the engine at every red light or stop sign really saving fuel? I've learned to shut that 'feature' off as soon as I start. I live on a dirt road that intersects the state highway on an upgrade inside of a curve -- the hesitation could be deadly. There are plenty of other places it could be dangerous, too: anytime a quick start is needed. If a car stumbled every time someone started up from a stop it would go to the garage for repair. Instead, this vehicle is designed to do that!?!? IMO that should be banned. Must we save a spoonful of fuel at the risk of a life?
The auto parking brake can be turned off in the settings. Mine was off when I bought it and was one of the first settings I changed after reading the manual. I really like the feature and find it useful, but to each their own.

As for the auto stop/start it does take a bit to get used to it. I have found it better to anticipate your start and let up on the brake enough to start the engine and press the brake again. Then when you are ready to go there is no lag and you can have a quick start.

Just some tips, not trying to say either of us are correct.
10-64 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2018, 02:08 AM

Welcome fellow Compasser!!
I don’t notice about the headlights
As for the brake to auto engage there is a setting in the Uconnect. I’m not in my Compass at the moment to tell you, but it’s there and possibly the headlights setting as well. As for the auto shut off? It depends who you hear the info from. I’ve seen both sides of pros and cons and I don’t know who to believe. I know in normal engine years ago this was a bad thing. But now all of a sudden this is the new normal? I found out this technology has been around since the 70’s with Toyota over seas models. You can turn off the auto feature (Unfortunately) every time you start your compass. Both my wife and I have Compass. She turns hers off every time and is use to it like putting on a seat belt. We went on a trip to Vermont from Jersey and she states the auto stop really makes a difference ( In a good way) I hope this helps?
Once again welcome to the Compass family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-15-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine
Why must the headlights come on when I open the rear hatch?
Eh, don't worry about it, the thing has two batteries after all.

Quote:
What's with the e-brake auto-engaging?
Like the others pointed out there is a setting for that, but it still comes on automatically if you open the driver's door with your seatbelt off while in gear no matter what (safety nannies).

Quote:
Is shutting off the engine at every red light or stop sign really saving fuel?
No, not unless its a really long stop. Even if it was, its not worth it when its so poorly implemented. I had a Honda with autostop that worked great, because you couldn't perceive the restart outside of the car. This thing, you've got the starter chattering away loudly and the headlights dimming with the drain on the battery, its really un-cool looking and for that reason alone I always turn it off. I don't care if it does save gas, it makes you look like an idiot who somehow stalled their car and the starter is not nice sounding and the fact they neglected to use some basic voltage regulation circuit to keep the headlights from dimming is just plain laziness, it really detracts from the premium look it has going on otherwise.

These buggies are not perfect but best available for the money so we enjoy ours and hope you enjoy yours too!
mexsoy likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome, and the explanations.

Yeah, the first time I test drove my Compass I was pulling out of the dealership and had to wait for traffic to pass -- and it shut off. I thought it had stalled. Then when I shifted to Park it started up all by itself. Reminded me of my cousin's Honda that does that so I put 2+2 together.

As for the e-brake engaging, I was at a gas station and maneuvering for a pump. I wanted to make a little space for the car ahead of me so without closing the door I flopped in the seat and started it just to back up a foot or so and I realized I was fighting the e-brake.

Thinking further about it, I can understand the frequent downshifting. Apparently the Compass tranny actually has 4 gears over 1:1, essentially four overdrives. There isn't much power left with those kinds of ratios.

Overall I'm enjoying it, though it takes a little getting used to.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 PM

In a really hilly area I often will slide the shifter over to autostick and force it to hold 5th so it won't be constantly rowing gears for 2 miles of going up and down mild hills, this is basically what the book says to do as well in those circumstances.
Jasmine likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
In a really hilly area I often will slide the shifter over to autostick and force it to hold 5th so it won't be constantly rowing gears for 2 miles of going up and down mild hills, this is basically what the book says to do as well in those circumstances.
Hilly driving (which is most of NH where I live) was where I really loved the CVT in my old Patriot. It would just rev a little more but there was no such thing as a downshift. My disenchantment with any a/t is the constant indecision. Using autotstick prevents those constant gear changes.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Greetings All!

For some reason my intro post never showed, so I'll try again. I bought a 2018 Compass Lattitude the end of May to replace my beloved 2008 Patriot. The Patriot was still doing fine with nearly 300,000 miles, but traveling the state in all kinds of weather I decided to get something new. I stuck with my dealer and the Jeep brand. My Compass is dark blue, AWD with the 2.4/9-spd automatic tranny.

Only downer is the needless complexity.
  • Why must the headlights come on when I open the rear hatch? Seems pretty useless waste of battery power.

On the bright side, the fuel economy is fantastic. I'm getting well over 30MPG overall, in fact by the (optimistic) EVIC I've averaged 31.2MPG over the 7000 since I've owned it. By my calculations that is about .5MPG high, but regardless, that has been a pleasant surprise.

My only fear is the 9-spd a/t. I hope it proves to be durable, but a tranny that downshifts for a mere headwind makes me wonder.

Welcome!

The only thing I can really comment on is the auto start/stop. My jeep had the e-brake already set to off when I got it and I've never noticed the lights.

The start stop is annoying at times, but as most have said, its like second nature to just it off. If I happen to leave it on and stop at a light, I usually will ease up on the brake slightly when I anticipate the light will change so that I dont get any sort of "jerking" response coming off of the light. (it has happened, lol)

BUT, imagine having a car that doesn't allow you to turn it off at all, (im looking at you Chevy Malibu) that's the real pain in the ass

'18 Compass Latitude
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat, Black cloth/leather interior
Navigation group
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
These buggies are not perfect but best available for the money so we enjoy ours and hope you enjoy yours too!
Well said
post #10 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 12:22 AM
KRB

Garage
The auto start/stop is the feature Jeep added to allow for a spare tire and jack, without compromising the required fuel ratings (miles per gallon). I previously owned a 2015 Cherokee that did not have auto start/stop, and no spare to remove the extra weight and get the required MPG. I can tell you, making it second nature to turn the auto start/stop is much better than having to wait an hour for a tow truck because all you have is a Jeep air compressor and can of fix-a-flat.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB View Post
The auto start/stop is the feature Jeep added to allow for a spare tire and jack, without compromising the required fuel ratings (miles per gallon). I previously owned a 2015 Cherokee that did not have auto start/stop, and no spare to remove the extra weight and get the required MPG. I can tell you, making it second nature to turn the auto start/stop is much better than having to wait an hour for a tow truck because all you have is a Jeep air compressor and can of fix-a-flat.
Mine came with the autostop/start but still no spare and jack. I wonder if all the gas I 'save' will be negated by AAA having to make a road call? A 20,000lb truck driving 20 miles each way to tow it to a garage, then my Wife having to come get me, then a tire supplier having to deliver a tire in the right size because the average station can't possibly have all the needed sizes in stock. Classic example of government requirements transcending common sense!

I'll have to work on getting a spare. I've had my share of flat tires over the years but none would have been fixed by a can of fix-a-flat. In every case the tire was violated such that it wouldn't hold air. So without a spare its time to call AAA. Besides, these days with TPMS if a tire goes even imperceptibly soft we get a warning. Highly doubtful I'll ever need the pump.
mexsoy likes this.

Last edited by Jasmine; 08-24-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in