• 4 Post By mikeexelby
  • 1 Post By dannydeez
  • 2 Post By Cecil Patrick
  • 1 Post By Jasmine
  • 1 Post By mikeexelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 08-31-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Fixed ALL My Issues with the Compass

I ended up breaking my lease and getting into a different lease. Between insurance and payment it's a wash pricing wise. Got a 2019 Dodge RAM Big Horn with the 5.7L Hemi V8 in Silver. I just couldn't suffer thru endless oil consumption tests that netted me nothing, all the electrical issues that stranded me multiple times with the dealer telling me "no code no fix" and the A/C which was pathetic for cooling.

The worst was always being told by customer care i'd be getting a call back only to never hear from them unless I reached out to them. I just hope this truck treats me leaps and bounds better. I wish everyone with a compass good luck. When I rolled up to get the truck there was two other Compasses in the service bay with oil consumption issues. May god have mercy on their souls.

10 months of hell is now over.
REVIGOR, Shogun, Musclez and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-01-2018, 12:25 AM

Lol as soon as I read the thread title I knew it would be followed with you telling us you got rid of it. Congrats, I'll likely be ditching this car early as well.
REVIGOR likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-01-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydeez View Post
Lol as soon as I read the thread title I knew it would be followed with you telling us you got rid of it. Congrats, I'll likely be ditching this car early as well.

I knew a week ago I was going to get rid of it, the rebates were enticing and the fact that I'm not losing sleep, time and money running this thing back and forward to the dealer means I can put my energy towards things that are more important, like my Mustang and my basement rebuild.

This Jeep was a battle of attrition and I was on the losing end since FCA was unwilling to budge on the oil consumption matters and the dealership treating me like an ex girlfriend on the service side. I have to start looking to a new dealer to do my service work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-01-2018, 02:24 PM

I'm sorry the Compass was a letdown for you, I think you will enjoy the truck and wish you the best in your endeavors!
post #5 of 17 Old 09-03-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
I'm sorry the Compass was a letdown for you, I think you will enjoy the truck and wish you the best in your endeavors!
So far so good with the truck. It's nice to drive a vehicle for the last few days that doesn't require topping off the oil every few days, wondering if it was going to strand me with an electrical problem and actually having working A/C. It was 90+ today.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-03-2018, 01:43 AM

Why buy a truck from the same company that makes the Jeep Compass and uses the same parts and electronics?
REVIGOR and arudlang like this.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-03-2018, 12:19 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Patrick View Post
Why buy a truck from the same company that makes the Jeep Compass and uses the same parts and electronics?
And the same approach to engineering. To hear them tell it, the oil consumption is an expected byproduct of their intentional design.
REVIGOR likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-03-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Patrick View Post
Limited options, I could either pay the remainder of the lease which is 3 years (don't have that kind of money), didn't want another Jeep and the same nightmare or I could pay a few hundred bucks to re-lease and wash my hands clean of it. It didn't qualify to be a lemon as every issue was different except for the oil consumption.

The RAM shares very few if any parts from the Jeep. It's easy to say "well I would have done this or that" but when faced with no options besides to sue which it would cost me more than the buy out of the lease after it was all said and done I'd rather just cut my losses and move on.
Jasmine likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-04-2018, 12:57 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I once dumped a 6 month old Cherokee cuz I got tired of warranty repairs. In that case I got a different brand from a different dealer, but I'd really had it with the Jeep dealer. In my case I owned it so the loss was mine and I was comfortable with it.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-04-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby
The RAM shares very few if any parts from the Jeep.
lol, well... thats not true at all but whatever helps you sleep at night My best friend bought a new RAM 1500 the same time I got my Compass and we often marvel at how similar they are, and when I had the Chrysler 300 loaner it was obvious how much FCA re-uses standard parts on all of their vehicles, and as Jasmine said more importantly the same approach to building things on all of their vehicles. But no reason to sweat it, from that same experience I can say with certainty that much more care and effort seems to have gone into building the RAM and the 300. Everything works 100% perfectly in my friend's truck, the Uconnect is not slow or buggy, and it was the same with the 300 loaner. All the same stuff but it had obviously had more time and effort spent making sure bugs were worked out. Little things like having the speedometer actually keep up with acceleration in real-time, and reactiveness from the Uconnect touch screen just hundredths of a second faster but still noticeable. They just don't have that level of refinement in the Compass, the engineers copy-and-pasted a load of stuff for the Compass and did the absolute bare minimum to get it working, and then started producing and selling it. Cons of buying a new model, I suppose, EXCEPT that I have been the "first buyer" of brand new models from other manufacturers in the past and they seemed to have their **** together a lot better.

I'm still in the "its just a lease" mode so I'm going to ride it out but I will admit I am not strongly inclined to recommend nor consider for myself another FCA product without carefully evaluating the other options from competing brands.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
lol, well... thats not true at all but whatever helps you sleep at night
Drivetrain (different), shifter (different), seats (different), suspension (different), frame (different), 4 wheel drive (different). About the only thing these two share is the radio (still have the same 8.4 touch screen without the XM Guardian and Built in NAV and maybe mirror and window switches. I'd venture to say at most 15-20% are the same (mostly computer modules and wire looms). The rest is inherently different. I'm not sure what your looking at but these vehicles are different in just about every way.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-04-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
Drivetrain (different), shifter (different), seats (different), suspension (different), frame (different), 4 wheel drive (different). About the only thing these two share is the radio (still have the same 8.4 touch screen without the XM Guardian and Built in NAV and maybe mirror and window switches. I'd venture to say at most 15-20% are the same (mostly computer modules and wire looms). The rest is inherently different. I'm not sure what your looking at but these vehicles are different in just about every way.
They have the same software, which I think is more important than the any mechanical part.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-04-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
They have the same software, which I think is more important than the any mechanical part.
Guess we will never know. I can assure you that the Compass I had prior had some kind of computer failure beyond the mechanical issues. Unfortunately for the next owner they will have to figure that out with FCA.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-08-2018, 04:46 PM

Please tell me you got a 2019 Classic..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #15 of 17 Old 09-09-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
Please tell me you got a 2019 Classic..

We got the new new model. Had it for just over a week, zero problems, it's managed to go a week without breaking, something my Compass never could do. It's also got a really nice interior for a truck. Getting the same mileage as that oil burning compass we had.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 PM

We build the 2019 classic (2018 (DS) with an extra badge) at my plant.
Still hearing nothing but issues with the 2019 (DT) made at the other plant, trucks getting out with mismatched parts/trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
We got the new new model. Had it for just over a week, zero problems, it's managed to go a week without breaking, something my Compass never could do. It's also got a really nice interior for a truck. Getting the same mileage as that oil burning compass we had.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #17 of 17 Old 09-09-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
We build the 2019 classic (2018 (DS) with an extra badge) at my plant.
Still hearing nothing but issues with the 2019 (DT) made at the other plant, trucks getting out with mismatched parts/trim.

Everything interior/exterior wise matches and we aren't using that 11-12' screen that everyone is having problems with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in