Mopar Spare tire kit 82214638 - Jeep Compass Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 Old 09-20-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mopar Spare tire kit 82214638

Amazing that most new cars don't come with spare tires anymore. I see that the spare tire kit is back ordered by most online retailers and at the tune of $250-$300 to boot. I bit the bullet and put an order in, I don't trust the pump and sealant my new Jeep came with and rather not get towed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-21-2018, 12:50 AM

Yet another reason to get the tow package right out of the gate, when originally tow-equipped they also come with the full size spare too
10-64 likes this.
post #3 of 34 Old 09-21-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Yet another reason to get the tow package right out of the gate, when originally tow-equipped they also come with the full size spare too

Trailhawks get a full size spare as part of the trim as well!
arudlang and 10-64 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 09-21-2018, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This I didnt know, I've always been use to spares coming with the vehicle's. My 2013 patriot and my wifes 2011 compass both had spare tires

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
Trailhawks get a full size spare as part of the trim as well!
post #5 of 34 Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just thinking out loud with the full sized spare can you still drop the cargo tray all the way down or there's not enough room ?
post #6 of 34 Old 09-21-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
Just thinking out loud with the full sized spare can you still drop the cargo tray all the way down or there's not enough room ?
Nope, it must stay in the highest position with the full sized spare.
post #7 of 34 Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 AM

zsc1991, is correct the full spare takes up the room for the cargo tray to be lowered. Someone posted about flipping the full size spare over giving you more storage but I have not looked at it to see how that works with the jack and stuff. I know I have some room under there to store a few things with the spare this is where my recovery strap lives out the way till needed.
post #8 of 34 Old 09-21-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just in case anybody is looking this is the cheapest place I found ($238.00) and also has free shipping on orders over $50

- Factory Jeep Parts, Accessories, Cherokee, Liberty Wrangler
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by 84z28; 09-21-2018 at 10:15 AM.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-21-2018, 06:11 PM

Thanks, replying for reference.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-03-2018, 02:02 AM

Mopar Spare tire kit 82214638

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
Just in case anybody is looking this is the cheapest place I found ($238.00) and also has free shipping on orders over $50

- Factory Jeep Parts, Accessories, Cherokee, Liberty Wrangler

Not bad. I ordered it with my Latitude and it was a $245 option listed on the window sticker.

post #11 of 34 Old 11-21-2018, 05:41 PM

My order still delayed 12/3/2018, original order date 10/12.

Edit: Requested a refund, delivery keeps getting delayed. 12/10/18

Last edited by eibyer; 12-12-2018 at 04:34 PM.
post #12 of 34 Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got mine in from backorder, to my surprise it wasn't a compact spare but a full size spare in the kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
My order still delayed 12/3/2018, original order date 10/12.

Edit: Requested a refund, delivery keeps getting delayed. 12/10/18
post #13 of 34 Old 02-09-2019, 06:25 PM

Good deal on spare, smart.

I did the tire flip/ mod the wing nut on my trailhawk. It does allow for more storage. Simple and effective. The jack is on the side. This allows me to store stuff in the wheel well. I got molding foam stuff from hobby lobby and have a take down AR pistol and 3 mags in wheel. Its neat because it doesnt bounce around due to wheel mount and foam and sealed in metal rim. Also out of site but easily accessible.

You can do more with the space on the driver side if you got foam as the jack is on right. I have tourniquets and other first aid stuff.

If that's not your thing you could make anything that you like obviously... but ts effective use of limited space.

Oh, one other thing, I put a piece of 1/4 thick by 2" wide across top of wheel to displace weight of cargo in trunk so it doesnt crush weapon.

'Merica,
George
arudlang and dragani328 like this.
post #14 of 34 Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I did the tire flip/ mod the wing nut on my trailhawk. It does allow for more storage. Simple and effective. The jack is on the side. This allows me to store stuff in the wheel well. I got molding foam stuff from hobby lobby and have a take down AR pistol and 3 mags in wheel. Its neat because it doesnt bounce around due to wheel mount and foam and sealed in metal rim. Also out of site but easily accessible.

You can do more with the space on the driver side if you got foam as the jack is on right. I have tourniquets and other first aid stuff.

If that's not your thing you could make anything that you like obviously... but ts effective use of limited space.

Oh, one other thing, I put a piece of 1/4 thick by 2" wide across top of wheel to displace weight of cargo in trunk so it doesnt crush weapon.

'Merica,
George
Pics?
post #15 of 34 Old 02-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Eibeyer - Try not to get a flat while waiting for the Spare Tire Kit. I ordered mine in June through the dealer, and even getting Jeep Customer Care involved, and even with trying to frequently "stay on top" of my order, I did not receive the spare tire + jack until December. As previously noted, the kit does come with a full-size spare on a steel rim (same Firestone OEM tire that is already on my Latitude.)
post #16 of 34 Old 02-10-2019, 02:29 PM

post #17 of 34 Old 02-10-2019, 04:04 PM

I put my factory 18" wheel in as a spare. I was able to use the bolt and washer from the tire repair kit to secure it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0207190122~2_1549818149432.jpg (54.3 KB, 30 views)

Currently in garage/driveway

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1981 Chevy El Camino
1974 Pontiac Catalina
post #18 of 34 Old 02-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

'Merica,
George
Gun pics.
post #19 of 34 Old 02-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Gun pics.[/QUOTE]

I changed some things around as a result of boredom and tinkering in garage... I think I am going to put a on board air system for deflating/ inflating tires when I go to beach and pumping up pool toys... you know, important stuff. I think it would be best under tire, so I flipped it around again.

I modified the factory plastic surrounding the spare, cut up some extra weightlifting foam floor pads from the gym at the house, and made form to keep stuff in place.

By modify I mean cut stuff up with a hacksaw blade... not rocket science.

But it's fun. I have a little rifle, 90 rounds, tourniquet, pressure dressing, and then all the full spare, jack, and needed tools. The on board air will be fun.

Give me good ideas!

Merica'
-George

I'll start a thread and see what people think. Maybe someone has a better idea. Pictures in new thread.
post #20 of 34 Old 02-19-2019, 03:00 PM

I just went to Discount and got a full size spare I don't think I have a jack though.
post #21 of 34 Old 02-22-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
I just went to Discount and got a full size spare I don't think I have a jack though.
How much was the full size spare?

2018 Jeep Compass Limited
4x4, Rhino Exterior with Black Interior
post #22 of 34 Old 02-22-2019, 11:29 AM

Really you can just build the 5th of the same 4, as a full size spare. For less than 200 including tire/rim setup. And include it in tire rotation, just more toward SUV than car-type approach I'd say may work too cheaper as well. TPMS sensors might come pricey in some regions less or more...

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
@
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

post #23 of 34 Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakaze View Post
Really you can just build the 5th of the same 4, as a full size spare. For less than 200 including tire/rim setup. And include it in tire rotation, just more toward SUV than car-type approach I'd say may work too cheaper as well. TPMS sensors might come pricey in some regions less or more...
I like this idea but wonder if a truly full-size spare fits in the space. Has anyone tried this? I figure the "compact spare tire" must be compact in some way, in width if not in outer diameter...
post #24 of 34 Old 04-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
I wanted the tow package right from the start, but according to the dealer, the kit was not available with no estimate of when it would become available, also no price for the kit either. It was the same for the spare tire kit.

I ended up getting the tow package installed at U Haul. Looking around for the spare tire kit, I haven't found any site that has it in stock. Is there a 3rd party option for the spare tire kit?

Mike
post #25 of 34 Old 04-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexplorer
Is there a 3rd party option for the spare tire kit?
Well, like mentioned above you can just buy any old rim that has the proper bolt pattern, hub size, and offset and then add a tire with the correct overall diameter for your other tires. Any reputable tire and wheel shop should be able to set you up.

I would first maybe check with @jim010 though, I recently bought his four trailhawk rims and tires but he was also looking to sell his spare too and I passed that up because I already had a spare and I didn't need two, I just wanted an extra set of four rims for winter tires.

Here is his post on those: https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...els-tires.html
post #26 of 34 Old 04-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Well, like mentioned above you can just buy any old rim that has the proper bolt pattern, hub size, and offset and then add a tire with the correct overall diameter for your other tires. Any reputable tire and wheel shop should be able to set you up.

I would first maybe check with @jim010 though, I recently bought his four trailhawk rims and tires but he was also looking to sell his spare too and I passed that up because I already had a spare and I didn't need two, I just wanted an extra set of four rims for winter tires.

Here is his post on those: https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...els-tires.html
That is a good idea, but I would also need the jack and lug nut tool.
post #27 of 34 Old 04-18-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexplorer
That is a good idea, but I would also need the jack and lug nut tool.
Bah, you can buy a cheap scissor jack anywhere for $15-$20, and you are better off with your own wrench. Takes a good pull on the flippin 8 inch long excuse for a tire wrench that comes OEM, not to mention far worse than getting the wheel off it is really hard for many people to be sure you got the lug bolts back ON with enough torque to ensure the spare won't come flying off a couple miles down the road.

For a measly $7 you can carry a nice 22 inch beam-type torque wrench that not only ensures you have ample leverage to remove the tire, but being that it is also a torque wrench you can drive off easy knowing you actually put the lug bolts back in properly rather than guessing with a stubby crap OEM tire wrench. The 1/2 inch drive socket you can buy individually cheap enough, but there is plenty of room its not a bad idea to have the most popular four sizes of sockets in case you stop to help someone else with a different car.

I always carry one of those inexpensive beam torque wrenches along with the most popular lug nut size sockets. The factory jack is fine since I already had it but any little scissor jack like that will surely fit somewhere under the floor panel. Could buy your own foam if you care about how it looks under there, otherwise just wrap the jack and tools in an old shirt or two. You are going to need rags anyways if you seriously intend to change your own flat tire on the side of the road.

I'm about at the point where I am going to have to remove the factory foam that surrounds the spare and holds the jack, I need those cubic inches for all the extras I like to keep with me. Have basic tools, spare fluids, heavy tape and big zip ties, jumper cables, tow straps, first aid, fire extinguisher, ammo... always be prepared!

Last edited by arudlang; 04-18-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #28 of 34 Old 04-20-2019, 11:02 AM

Garage
I was able to find a scissor jack and lug nut tool locally cheap, so that is taken care of.

Perhaps I can scour some local junkyards for a spare tire, would first generation compass tire and rim fit on a 2019 model? Or even perhaps another model of Jeep be compatible ?

Mike
post #29 of 34 Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexplorer View Post
I was able to find a scissor jack and lug nut tool locally cheap, so that is taken care of.

Perhaps I can scour some local junkyards for a spare tire, would first generation compass tire and rim fit on a 2019 model? Or even perhaps another model of Jeep be compatible ?

Mike
I'm told not, but I haven't tried. Maybe ask a dealer? They'd know the specs for the hub diameter and lug pattern.
post #30 of 34 Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I'm told not, but I haven't tried. Maybe ask a dealer? They'd know the specs for the hub diameter and lug pattern.
I was able to get all the information from the owners manual. Here it is in case anyone else needs it.

Tire is 215/65R16
Rim is 16 X 6.5
Bolt pattern is 5x110

Mike
Jasmine likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in