Normal coolant temperature - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 09-28-2018, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Normal coolant temperature

I have seen the coolant temperature oscillate between 194 degrees Fahrenheit and 248 degrees.

Do you think that is normal?

I do not hear the noise that the electro fan should make...
it may be that is very silent?

My Compass is 2.4L Petrol engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-29-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winer View Post
I have seen the coolant temperature oscillate between 194 degrees Fahrenheit and 248 degrees.

I asked my Jeep service department about what I thought were high coolant and auto transmission temps they said as long as they are within the gauge range and not pegged over it is ok and they told me not to worry if any of the temps get over their limit the dash display will tell me all about it. So I have stopped worrying about it. LOL

Heck we learned just recently how crazy the gauge display gets when the low fuel comes on they really make sure you know your low on fuel. I hate to guess what it looks like if there is a more serious problem like a freaking over done X-mas tree I would think.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-29-2018, 03:07 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:

Yikes! I would say its not normal and you may have hurt your engine. Mine stays about 190-195F; don't think it went over 200F all summer.

I'm new to owning a Compass, but on other vehicles I've had, the fan did not run all the time, only when the engine got hot enough to need it. If the fan isn't running and your engine is as hot as you say, I suspect your fan may not be running at all so your radiator and engine are not benefiting from its expected contribution. You may be overheating.

I don't mean to talk down to you, but consider the obvious: have you checked your coolant level? Maybe its low. A bad thermostat is another possibility.

If coolant is OK, maybe you've got a defective gauge or sensor? The oil gauge in an Olds I once had would give me a false high at certain places in the dial -- it would just shoot up for an instant but as soon as I passed that spot in the dial it would go back to normal. I had my dealer check it out and he said it was a bad sending unit. After understanding the reason I declined the repair since it wasn't hurting anything.

In any event, I'd suggest verifying your engine temp to be sure you're not damaging it. I'm almost surprised some safety device isn't shutting it down if the temp is that high.

Good luck; I hope we have a happy ending to this.

Last edited by Jasmine; 09-29-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-29-2018, 03:10 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

PS, you didn't say what year your Compass is. If you have the first generation, I believe those engines have two thermostats. I don't know about the Tigershark engine.

Last edited by Jasmine; 09-29-2018 at 03:12 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Garage
248 is too high

i would wager a thermostat is getting stuck

2018 Compass Latitude
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
First of all, thanks for the answers

as Chris says, neither the temperature needle nor the dashboard light indicate any error. Everything is normal.
I could also check, that the electric fan works correctly (it's incredibly silent!)
The temperature readings I got from Instrument cluster display - Vehicle info

The coolant is fine, there are no leaks, no odors
Whether it is 195 or 245, the needle does not move from its normal position
I suppose that the readings that I have are normal.

Jasmin, ive a compass 2018.
in my previous car, a 300c, I never looked at the EVIC (electronic vehicle information center), just the needle
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
First of all, thanks for the answers

as Chris says, neither the temperature needle nor the dashboard light indicate any error. Everything is normal.
I could also check, that the electric fan works correctly (it's incredibly silent!)
The temperature readings I got from Instrument cluster display - Vehicle info

The coolant is fine, there are no leaks, no odors
Whether it is 195 or 245, the needle does not move from its normal position
I suppose that the readings that I have are normal.

Jasmin, ive a compass 2018.
in my previous car, a 300c, I never looked at the EVIC (electronic vehicle information center), just the needle

One thing I will say is that around 230* my fan kicks into high speed and it sounds like I just became part of a squadron of P-51 Mustangs! LOL You might have the dealer double check when your fan kicks into high.

The only time my coolant temp exceeds 220* is climbing slowly up a fairly long steep grade. At one point it was reaching around the 240* mark but for some reason it has not gone that high recently on the same forestry roads even with higher outside temps. Maybe in our case things were still getting broken in and now that they are it has cooled down. I also know our dealer has done some work in our computer programming I wonder if silently they changed some settings after I asked them about my Coolant and Transmission temps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in