• 2 Post By mdram4x4
  • 1 Post By mdram4x4
  • 3 Post By arudlang
  • 2 Post By 10-64
  • 1 Post By Tripod

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 Old 11-01-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Rooting Uconnect

Did anybody root/jailbreak Uconnect and was able to change the operating system to Android for example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hernán Grimberg; 11-01-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-01-2018, 07:28 PM

Garage
you would need a ton of apps also to keep the functionality
Tripod and Hernán Grimberg like this.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #3 of 21 Old 11-01-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Anybody tried the RAX jailbreak?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-01-2018, 08:01 PM

Garage
again, why?
10-64 and Tripod like this.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 21 Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
again, why?

Again, what?

post #6 of 21 Old 11-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Garage
why jailbreak uconnect?
10-64 likes this.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #7 of 21 Old 11-05-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernán Grimberg
Did anybody root/jailbreak Uconnect and was able to change the operating system to Android for example?
I think you are wasting your time my friend, there is not much hope. I don't know which Uconnect you have but you must realize radios are BAKED INTO the car these days. You do not just swap them out willy-nilly for fun. They are tied into the rest of the electronics through the CANBUS system and perform important functions far beyond just playing music. It is just not practical to think a person can change the OS of these units nor to think they would be able to still connect into CANBUS and perform all the options settings and functions the Uconnect does. In the 8.4 you need the Uconnect to change all the preferences regarding convenience features, light timers, door functions, heated seats, some of the HVAC stuff, etc.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
I would assume that when you "jailbreak" it, you just voided your warranty as well.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
I think you are wasting your time my friend, there is not much hope. I don't know which Uconnect you have but you must realize radios are BAKED INTO the car these days. You do not just swap them out willy-nilly for fun. They are tied into the rest of the electronics through the CANBUS system and perform important functions far beyond just playing music. It is just not practical to think a person can change the OS of these units nor to think they would be able to still connect into CANBUS and perform all the options settings and functions the Uconnect does. In the 8.4 you need the Uconnect to change all the preferences regarding convenience features, light timers, door functions, heated seats, some of the HVAC stuff, etc.

Well, it seems that there is already a jailbreak and it is called RAX. It is paid.

post #10 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Garage
but the questions is still, what does it do for you?

2018 Compass Latitude
post #11 of 21 Old 11-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Anybody tried the RAX jailbreak?
Quote:
Well, it seems that there is already a jailbreak and it is called RAX.
Come on now, do you even read ANYTHING about these products or do you just do a 3-second google search and spew it onto our forum here to try to make the rest of us do the actual research??? You are borderline troll status on this one.

Anyone can see within a few seconds of browsing their product listings that they are not using the term "jailbreak" in a conventional sense. In the world of closed-source software, "jailbreak" means something totally different than what they are doing. They are NOT re-writing ANY software on the Uconnect unit itself. They are NOT running android on it, or anything of the like. They are just using that word "jailbreaker" to arbitrarily describe the device they are selling that wedges itself between the Uconnect and the rest of the car on the CANBUS and flips a handful of tricks that I don't even find all that impressive.

The other obnoxious thing is you can see plain as we can that there is NO SUCH PRODUCT available on their website for the Jeep Compass (MP), so looking to see what they are able to do with an older Grand Cherokee or something totally different is pretty much pointless. There are DOZENS of different versions of the Uconnect systems. Sure, most of them have one of three screen sizes, but the hardware and software they run differs a LOT and is even made by different manufacturers depending on the model and the year. What works for one FCA vehicle has no real likelihood of working on another, since they make them different enough from car to car (all behind the same three screens).

So lets just spell this out one more time for the people in the back:
THERE IS NO "JAILBREAK" FOR THE 2ND GEN JEEP COMPASS (MP) UCONNECT SYSTEM
post #12 of 21 Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 PM

This just sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.
post #13 of 21 Old 11-08-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
Come on now, do you even read ANYTHING about these products or do you just do a 3-second google search and spew it onto our forum here to try to make the rest of us do the actual research??? You are borderline troll status on this one.

Anyone can see within a few seconds of browsing their product listings that they are not using the term "jailbreak" in a conventional sense. In the world of closed-source software, "jailbreak" means something totally different than what they are doing. They are NOT re-writing ANY software on the Uconnect unit itself. They are NOT running android on it, or anything of the like. They are just using that word "jailbreaker" to arbitrarily describe the device they are selling that wedges itself between the Uconnect and the rest of the car on the CANBUS and flips a handful of tricks that I don't even find all that impressive.

The other obnoxious thing is you can see plain as we can that there is NO SUCH PRODUCT available on their website for the Jeep Compass (MP), so looking to see what they are able to do with an older Grand Cherokee or something totally different is pretty much pointless. There are DOZENS of different versions of the Uconnect systems. Sure, most of them have one of three screen sizes, but the hardware and software they run differs a LOT and is even made by different manufacturers depending on the model and the year. What works for one FCA vehicle has no real likelihood of working on another, since they make them different enough from car to car (all behind the same three screens).

So lets just spell this out one more time for the people in the back:

THERE IS NO "JAILBREAK" FOR THE 2ND GEN JEEP COMPASS (MP) UCONNECT SYSTEM

You are being a little bit aggresive with me. I also researched on the RAX jailbreak and since it is paid I doubt it could be a good one. Jailbreaks or rooting software are usually for free. I am an iphone jailbreaker myself and it sounds weird to me that nobody tried any rooting method on the Uconnect system yet.

post #14 of 21 Old 11-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Garage
you have yet to say whay you want to jail break it.

is it just because you might be able to?

you mentioned putting android on it. but then you get rid off all the integration the system has with the vehicle.

what is the end goal?

2018 Compass Latitude
post #15 of 21 Old 11-09-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
you have yet to say whay you want to jail break it.

is it just because you might be able to?

you mentioned putting android on it. but then you get rid off all the integration the system has with the vehicle.

what is the end goal?

Maybe someone can get a jailbreak and keeps the integration but for instance can run the tweak Car bridge natively, or can run Carplay with just a bluetooth connection...

post #16 of 21 Old 08-20-2019, 12:20 AM

If you don’t know why someone wants root access then yeah you don’t need to root. Root acces don’t erase the operating system it just gives you control. Possibilities are endless.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-20-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you don’t know why someone wants root access then yeah you don’t need to root. Root acces don’t erase the operating system it just gives you control. Possibilities are endless.
People cannot even install different headlight bulbs without running into ton of software related issues an the discussion here is about replacing an entire module that controls 90% of user controlled settings and options. Rotting the uconnect will achieve nothing but triggering bunch of error codes and void the warranty. Good luck if you have any software related issue in the future, because the dealer would not bother to see what is wrong with the software, they will just replace all the broken modules with new ones. If you want a different screen on the dash, just tape an ipad or android tablet on top of the screen,. it will cause a lot less issues.
arudlang likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
i know what root access is, but no one has said what they want to do

are there apps out there for the os?
will you write your own apps?
how will you deal with the warranty

again, no explanation of why.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #19 of 21 Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
If you don’️t know why someone wants root access then yeah you don’️t need to root. Root acces don’️t erase the operating system it just gives you control. Possibilities are endless.
i know what root access is, but no one has said what they want to do

are there apps out there for the os?
will you write your own apps?
how will you deal with the warranty

again, no explanation of why.
There is some function to jailbreak iPhones and such but it minor at best and to show if you can do it. most people it is to show they did it or maybe one cool feature. It is hell to go from 5" screen to a 8.4 screen with oem products. I couldn't imagine trying to do something like this... Imo jailbreak for iPhone is still over rated and more of a PITA then it is worth for the benefit. Just get an Android phone instead of trying to make an iPhone to do some what of Android things. 🙄🏼🏼

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #20 of 21 Old 08-21-2019, 07:51 PM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Look..................just go ahead and do it!

Then, please tell us if anything works anymore, and how much you paid to get a new OEM radio, so it does

Just my .02 cents
post #21 of 21 Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass2ndgenguy View Post
There is some function to jailbreak iPhones and such but it minor at best and to show if you can do it. most people it is to show they did it or maybe one cool feature. It is hell to go from 5" screen to a 8.4 screen with oem products. I couldn't imagine trying to do something like this... Imo jailbreak for iPhone is still over rated and more of a PITA then it is worth for the benefit. Just get an Android phone instead of trying to make an iPhone to do some what of Android things. 🙄🏼🏼
usually jailbrekaing/rooting is done to allow apps to be loaded that otherwise could not be.
or gain access via app to parts of the phone

again
what will this accomplish on the uconnect? where are the apps that need this?

2018 Compass Latitude

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in