AlfaOBD diagnostic software - Page 2 - Jeep Compass Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 209 Old 11-29-2018, 03:36 PM

So there is no Alfaobd for iphone??? Is there another app that can be used? What about a regular obd app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 209 Old 11-29-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernán Grimberg View Post
So there is no Alfaobd for iphone??? Is there another app that can be used? What about a regular obd app?

The developer makes the same app for PC too.
post #33 of 209 Old 11-29-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim010 View Post
OK.

So what options are you seeing?

Adaptive cruise, self park, folding mirrors, LED lights etc ...?
If you download the demo app for either android or PC you can see all the car configuration options available without even interfacing with the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 209 Old 11-29-2018, 09:47 PM

I would just be happy with shutting of the bulb out message and indicator so I can remove the load resistors, and put the LED's back in the tail lights.
post #35 of 209 Old 11-30-2018, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

So I did a proxi align, and it fixed my air bag warning messages. All good. I installed the new 8.4 screen, enabled GPS & NAV presence, did a proxi align, turned it off and back on. All the warning lights came on. Put everything back to to original, did a proxi align, the Jeep is happy. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try the procedure with the bypass module installed. It looks like it goes under the steering column to the left near the fuse panel. I'll need to remove the knee panel to get access.

https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...tml#post132793
post #36 of 209 Old 11-30-2018, 04:42 PM

I'm blind. Where is the demo download on the website?

Cheers
post #37 of 209 Old 11-30-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

post #38 of 209 Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 PM

Thanks!
post #39 of 209 Old 11-30-2018, 07:02 PM

I asked teh developer this:

Is the AlfaOBD able to be used on the 2018 Jeep Compass?

He said this:

Hello,

Jeep cars already covered including year 2017. Support for
2018 is not garanteed, but there is a good chance that many
of the features will work on 2018 as well. Most probably
you will need a SGW bypass like
https://zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/ to get full
access to the diagnostic features.

Best regards,
Alexey Chernikov
AlfaOBD
post #40 of 209 Old 11-30-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

That is the exact module I have. Hoping to test tonight.

Well I was way off on where the module goes. Looks like I'll need to figure out how to remove the gauge cluster. Has anyone removed this yet?

https://infotainment-gateway.firebas...17-compass.pdf

Last edited by n4cr2k; 11-30-2018 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Update
post #41 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Was busy this weekend and didn't get a lot of time to play with removing the instrument cluster. I found the two T25 hex screws in the "roof" of the bezel. Just pops out with a small/precision flat blade screw driver. I am able to pop out most of the retaining clips along the bezel. It just seems to be stuck at the bottom of the TFT screen. The material is thin so I'm hesitant to give it a pull and end up damaging something. I might try removing the trim around the steering column to see if that exposes anything. Once I can figure out how to get the bezel out, the instrument cluster should just be a few bolts and wire harnesses. Hopefully that makes the bypass module accessible.
post #42 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 04:35 PM

Success in programming vehicle factory fog lights to sport model.

No errors after using grey cable

Now I need developer to add option for auto headlights 😂🤣
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1543858480332282678467152139515_1543858490961.jpg (48.9 KB, 41 views)
arudlang and n4cr2k like this.
post #43 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Nice! I'm still waiting on my cables to arrive. Coming from the UK. Should be here any day now. Did you use the grey cable the whole time? Or just for the configuration change / proxi align?
post #44 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 PM

I asked this:

Not sure if you would answer this, but my Compass has all the sensors for emergency collision braking and parking sensors as well as lane departure sensors and blind spot. Assuming that I do have all the sensors in place, can adaptive cruise control and self parking be turned on if I install the proper switches using AlfaOBD?

And the developer answered with this:

Honestly, I don’t know. I think that apart from the sensors the adaptive cruise control module has to be also installed on the car.

In theory if all the necessary hardware is in place, it must be possible to activate it by setting the corresponding options in the car configuration.

Best regards,

Alexey Chernikov

AlfaOBD
post #45 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim010 View Post
I asked this:

Not sure if you would answer this, but my Compass has all the sensors for emergency collision braking and parking sensors as well as lane departure sensors and blind spot. Assuming that I do have all the sensors in place, can adaptive cruise control and self parking be turned on if I install the proper switches using AlfaOBD?

And the developer answered with this:

Honestly, I don’t know. I think that apart from the sensors the adaptive cruise control module has to be also installed on the car.

In theory if all the necessary hardware is in place, it must be possible to activate it by setting the corresponding options in the car configuration.

Best regards,

Alexey Chernikov

AlfaOBD

I think the adaptive cruise control module is a part of the front facing radar/camera. So if you have that, you have the module as well. Plus the ACC switch assembly has its own circuit board. The software for ACC is available there, its a matter of allowing the main computer to connect to it.

ACC part numbers for Jeep GC are 68245342AA and 68245338AA. It look identical to ACC switches on compass or any other jeep model. So it might just be that they all have the same unit.

Regular cruise control part number for Compass is 5YL22XSAAC. Considering how part numbers are cataloged, ACC switch might be something like 5YL23XSAAC

Last edited by Tripod; 12-03-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #46 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM

I suspected as much, but wasn't 100% sure. I need a VIN form a European car to compare parts to be sure.

Part numbers for a Cherokee for the sensor with ACC and a Compass sensor are the same.

Last edited by jim010; 12-03-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #47 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

If we can confirm alfaobd works with some form of bypass/cable for 2018 models, we can start building a sticky list of modifications that work with the necessary hw and associated sw changes.
post #48 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cr2k View Post
Nice! I'm still waiting on my cables to arrive. Coming from the UK. Should be here any day now. Did you use the grey cable the whole time? Or just for the configuration change / proxi align?
You use the regular obd link mx adapter. and you change to the grey cable only when promp. One suggestion I give. Disconnect any other bluetooth devices from your phone. even unpair the radio of the car. It gives issues on bluetooth transmission. keep only the obd link mx.

I can think that you should try in you vehicle withouth the security harness first. when you do anychange? are you able to successfully do a proxy on the transmission?

if so sounds like only the grey cable is what you need...

who knows

Jaime Figueroa here
post #49 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Figueroa View Post
You use the regular obd link mx adapter. and you change to the grey cable only when promp. One suggestion I give. Disconnect any other bluetooth devices from your phone. even unpair the radio of the car. It gives issues on bluetooth transmission. keep only the obd link mx.

I can think that you should try in you vehicle withouth the security harness first. when you do anychange? are you able to successfully do a proxy on the transmission?

if so sounds like only the grey cable is what you need...

who knows

Jaime Figueroa here

Do you need the bypass module, or using gray or blue cables is a way around that? I think the main issue at the moment is the difficulty of installing the bypass module. If a workaround for that can be found, it would be much easier to try.
post #50 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Do you need the bypass module, or using gray or blue cables is a way around that? I think the main issue at the moment is the difficulty of installing the bypass module. If a workaround for that can be found, it would be much easier to try.
I have a 2017 I can't confirm if the module is needed or not.

what im telling is that since I tried doing what he did and I had the same results without the grey cables. the only difference is that I have a 2017 and he a 2018...…

maybe he only needs the grey cable...
Tripod likes this.
post #51 of 209 Old 12-03-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Whenever I did a proxy align, it would seem to be successful, then alfaobd would just quit. It never prompted for a cable change either.

Here is the process i was following:

Jeep
Compass (MP) MY2017
Body COmputer
Body Computer Delphi/Marelli
Connect

Active Diagnostics
Car configuration change
[option I was changing]
Enabled
Next {this is from memory, but it would show it changed}

Active Diagnostics
PROXY alignment
START/NEXT
{it would show the different modules being written to and say successful}
alfaobd would then seem to disconnect/quit
post #52 of 209 Old 12-04-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

@Jaime Figueroa I'm interested if you're doing/seeing something different with your proxy alignment procedure.

I was able to figure out the last clips for the instrument cluster bezel. The gauge pod itself was just 4 screws and a wire harness. Bad news, I couldn't see any harness in the location provided by the infotainment.com pdf that looks like the pin configuration of the bypass module. I've come across many pairs of 10 pin connectors, but the module has an 8 & 12 pin socket. I might try and reach out to them again to see if they can give a better description of where it should be found. The picture is a little dark, but here is all I see behind the cluster. It doesn't look like the right connector, not to mention its almost impossible location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harness-closeup.jpg (29.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg behind gauges.jpg (54.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by n4cr2k; 12-06-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: proper quote
post #53 of 209 Old 12-06-2018, 02:40 PM

I just don’t get it. What happens if I plug my old OSBD ELM327 that I used to use in my old Jeep Liberty via wifi on my new Compass MP? It won’t connect to my phone via wifi? Is it somehow locked and I won’t be able to access the ECU?

post #54 of 209 Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I just don’t get it. What happens if I plug my old OSBD ELM327 that I used to use in my old Jeep Liberty via wifi on my new Compass MP? It won’t connect to my phone via wifi? Is it somehow locked and I won’t be able to access the ECU?

I used lemur blue driver WiFi module to connect and clear a code. When I did that, it was able to read live data, scan modules, etc. I assume a ELM327 or alfaobd can connect as well. The issue is, the security overlay FCA installed prevents from making changes as you can’t proxy align new options.

post #55 of 209 Old 12-06-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
@jaime-figueroa I'm interested if you're doing/seeing something different with your proxy alignment procedure.

I was able to figure out the last clips for the instrument cluster bezel. The gauge pod itself was just 4 screws and a wire harness. Bad news, I couldn't see any harness in the location provided by the infotainment.com pdf that looks like the pin configuration of the bypass module. I've come across many pairs of 10 pin connectors, but the module has an 8 & 12 pin socket. I might try and reach out to them again to see if they can give a better description of where it should be found. The picture is a little dark, but here is all I see behind the cluster. It doesn't look like the right connector, not to mention its almost impossible location.
I dont know if you came across this but I found this while searching how people used alfaobs in other FCA vehicles. I might be wrong but maybe you need to attach another harness to the one you discovered to put on the security bypass module.
post #56 of 209 Old 12-06-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

After emailing with the alfaobd developer he is wondering if my jeep even has the security bypass module. He was under the impression I wouldn't be able to write to any modules if that was the case, but mine stops after the right blind spot sensor. This would also explain why I can't see/find a security modules in the location provided by infotainment.com. Still waiting on hearing back from the developer on some more info.

@Jaime Figueroa, what happens when you run a proxy align after the RBSS

Also just to try, I installed the new 8.4 screen without adding the GPS or NAV options. The only things that don't work are the navigation and auto clock set. No flashing odometer, all other functionality seems to be operating correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-12-04-17-50-16.jpg (115.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by n4cr2k; 12-06-2018 at 08:03 PM.
post #57 of 209 Old 12-06-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Also just to try, I installed the new 8.4 screen without adding the GPS or NAV options. The only things that don't work are the navigation and auto clock set. No flashing odometer, all other functionality seems to be operating correctly.
Awesome! I'm glad it was plug and play. I had to pull out the dash and change the dash harness in my mustang to upgrade to navigation ...
post #58 of 209 Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
After emailing with the alfaobd developer he is wondering if my jeep even has the security bypass module. He was under the impression I wouldn't be able to write to any modules
Hmm that is interesting. On the same subject, I was connect, scan and clear a code using the lemur bluedriver. It was also able to read live data as well. From what I read about other FCA cars with security modules, I should have not been able to read or clear codes if there was a security module. This makes me think whether all factories installed security models on 2018.
post #59 of 209 Old 12-06-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I used lemur blue driver WiFi module to connect and clear a code. When I did that, it was able to read live data, scan modules, etc. I assume a ELM327 or alfaobd can connect as well. The issue is, the security overlay FCA installed prevents from making changes as you can’t proxy align new options.

But can I still use my old ELM327 to read error codes on the MP?

post #60 of 209 Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
But can I still use my old ELM327 to read error codes on the MP?

To my understanding, you cant if there is a security module as it prevent unauthorized access to the car through the OBD port.
Hernán Grimberg likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in