AlfaOBD diagnostic software - Page 3 - Jeep Compass Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #61 of 209 Old 12-07-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cr2k View Post
After emailing with the alfaobd developer he is wondering if my jeep even has the security bypass module. He was under the impression I wouldn't be able to write to any modules if that was the case, but mine stops after the right blind spot sensor. This would also explain why I can't see/find a security modules in the location provided by infotainment.com. Still waiting on hearing back from the developer on some more info.

@Jaime Figueroa, what happens when you run a proxy align after the RBSS

Also just to try, I installed the new 8.4 screen without adding the GPS or NAV options. The only things that don't work are the navigation and auto clock set. No flashing odometer, all other functionality seems to be operating correctly.
I think it's an error on Alfa OBD.
As I don't have blind spot sensors. Can't tell. But after telemática I think. In my case it prompts for grey cable. I think you should be able to work this out with the developer. Also what phone are you using? I hear that Galaxy devices and Alfa OBD sometimes cause issues. Read this on the ram forum. Spent a long day there. Try with another device. Remember to have only 1 device connected to the cellphone Bluetooth.

Il re do a proxy and take screen shots and let u know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 209 Old 12-07-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Figueroa View Post
As I don't have blind spot sensors. Can't tell. But after telemática I think. In my case it prompts for grey cable. I think you should be able to work this out with the developer. Also what phone are you using? I hear that Galaxy devices and Alfa OBD sometimes cause issues. Read this on the ram forum. Spent a long day there. Try with another device. Remember to have only 1 device connected to the cellphone Bluetooth.

I think/hope this is an AlfaOBD issue as well. I'm still waiting to hear back from the developer. If it goes a few more days I might send a follow up message. I tried it with an LG V30. I took your advice and unpaired from the uConnect. I also tried disabling WiFi to reduce radio interference. I tried it from a tablet (samsung) as well with no other Bluetooth pairings and WiFi off. It stopped working in the same place, so I think my phone is OK. I've been lurking on a lot of the other FCA vehicle forums as well checking if other people are seeing the same issues I see. Would love to get this working. Fingers crossed AlfaOBD can come through.
post #63 of 209 Old 12-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HernĂ¡n Grimberg View Post
But can I still use my old ELM327 to read error codes on the MP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
HernĂ¡n Grimberg likes this.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 209 Old 12-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Incorrect. You can read codes, read "live data" and reset codes.. basically anything an off the shelf OBD2 reader can do but as far as writing to the PCM (engine/trans controller) or BCM (body control module) the PCM is totally locked out from changes, the BCM might allow a few changes but is likely locked on critical things.

Not all BT/WIFI OBD adapters work in all vehicles, especially the cheap modules. But I have an ELM327 based BT adapter and it works fine in my 2018, have used it a few times to reset the MIL (malfunction indicator light).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
To my understanding, you cant if there is a security module as it prevent unauthorized access to the car through the OBD port.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
HernĂ¡n Grimberg likes this.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #65 of 209 Old 12-08-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I think/hope this is an AlfaOBD issue as well. I'm still waiting to hear back from the developer. If it goes a few more days I might send a follow up message. I tried it with an LG V30. I took your advice and unpaired from the uConnect. I also tried disabling WiFi to reduce radio interference. I tried it from a tablet (samsung) as well with no other Bluetooth pairings and WiFi off. It stopped working in the same place, so I think my phone is OK. I've been lurking on a lot of the other FCA vehicle forums as well checking if other people are seeing the same issues I see. Would love to get this working. Fingers crossed AlfaOBD can come through.

Left is finished procedure
Right is cable promp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181207-221000_AlfaOBD_1544242110296.jpg (96.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181207-220811_AlfaOBD_1544242149656.jpg (54.3 KB, 47 views)
post #66 of 209 Old 12-08-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Left is finished procedure
Right is cable promp
Thanks! I'll forward this along to the developer. It seems that mine gets almost to the end before it dies.

Has anyone else tried to do a proxy align yet? Should be doable with just an OBDLink MX and the alfaobd demo version.
post #67 of 209 Old 12-09-2018, 02:23 PM

Garage
Is tire size correction possible using AlfaODB?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #68 of 209 Old 12-09-2018, 08:32 PM

It's possible to change tire size.
post #69 of 209 Old 12-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Any updates?
post #70 of 209 Old 12-17-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim010 View Post
Any updates?
I emailed the developer for alfaOBD and let him know that it was not completing successfully for my Jeep. He had a few questions, and I answered back. I also followed up with Jaime's response for a completed proxy alignment. I have not heard back from the developer since Dec 4th. I'm wondering if he maybe took some time off for the holidays?

If we could get some more feedback from other people if they are able to do a proxy alignment or not that might help us get some progress.
post #71 of 209 Old 12-17-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

My adapter cables finally arrived today so I was able to do some additional testing. I think I may have stumbled upon something interesting, or could just be misleading. I am able to connect to various modules with just the OBDLink MX (without the blue cable). The one module that doesn't seem to work is the "Trailer Tow". I can't connect to either one (default or var.1) with or without the blue cable. What makes this one stand out is when you initiate a proxy alignment it lists all CAN modules with EOL or require programing etc. the order of the output varies, but it is similar to:

Left Blind spot sensor (LBSS)
Right Blind spot sensor (RBSS)
Trailer Tow Module (TTM)

This is exactly where my proxy alignment fails. It hangs after the Blind Spot Sensors. So since I can't communicate with the Trailer Tow module, I'm wondering if that is what is causing my proxy alignment to fail? I would hope if my TTM was faulty it would throw an error code.

Has anyone else attempted a proxy alignment with a 2018 Jeep? Can anyone else connect to the trailer tow module?
post #72 of 209 Old 01-04-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Still haven't heard back from the developer. Maybe his side flagged it as spam? So far none of the updates that he released fixed this issue. If I get a chance I'm going to try the multiecuscan software this weekend to see if it can successfully perform a PROXI/Y alignment.

https://www.multiecuscan.net/
post #73 of 209 Old 01-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Any updates on this?
post #74 of 209 Old 01-21-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Any updates on this?
Unfortunately no. I never heard back from the developer. I think it might be the trailer tow module (TTM) that alfaobd is getting stuck on. I'm pretty confident my 2018 doesn't have the security module. But nobody else has reported back, so we're stuck at the moment. From what I can speculate if you have a '17 or some '18s w/o the trailer module you should be able to change car configuration and run successfully proxy alignments. If we can get some more volunteers to test we'd have a better understanding of whats going on. Its no harm to the vehicle to just query the CANBUS, the alfaobd demo is free and fairly functional. The only (potential) purchase is the OBDLink MX device. But it really is a nice tool and can be used for other diagnostics. There just doesn't seem to be a big interest for this kind of thing in this community like there is on the RAM trucks and dodge dart world. It's a shame too since there is lots of cools stuff to unlock.
post #75 of 209 Old 01-22-2019, 03:30 PM

I think many are waiting to see if it works before investing time and purchasing the link device and cables. I have been an experimenter myself doing this sort of thing with my Mustang, but not sure I want to be a pioneer this time around.
post #76 of 209 Old 01-22-2019, 03:33 PM

What cables do I need to try this out?
post #77 of 209 Old 01-22-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What cables do I need to try this out?
If you're using the OBDlink MX software, I believe you only need the gray cable. I bought the 3 pack for $15 that had gray, blue and purple. It was more cost effective to buy a pack than just the one individual.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diagnostics...72.m2749.l2649
post #78 of 209 Old 01-28-2019, 06:04 AM

He updated the website with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg culito.jpg (52.5 KB, 58 views)
post #79 of 209 Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 PM

So this means it will work with the bypass?

That's what I understand with that post.

Last edited by jim010; 01-28-2019 at 06:48 PM.
post #80 of 209 Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

From what I understand if you try to do a connection with alfaobd and it can't communicate to any of the modules, you need the bypass device as mentioned. The developer also mentioned that if you can't clear codes you'll need the bypass. I have a 2018, but mine doesn't need the bypass. So it might not be all 2018s.
post #81 of 209 Old 01-29-2019, 02:59 PM

But you haven't been able to get all the modules to align with each other after a change has been made?
post #82 of 209 Old 01-29-2019, 03:58 PM

http://jscan.net/ for all Module with a Bluetooth Adapter. It works great on my Android Smartphone.
post #83 of 209 Old 01-29-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
But you haven't been able to get all the modules to align with each other after a change has been made?
Correct. The proxy alignment doesn't complete on mine. It stops after it gets to the blind spot monitoring modules. My guess is its getting hung up on the trailer tow, but without other reports, this is just a guess. One of the other members who doesn't have the tow package was able to do a successful proxy alignment. So depending on what modules you have it may or may not work for you. There could be other components the developer needs to fix yet, we just don't know since only a few people have tried. From my testing, that seems to be the only module I can't communicate with.

Also, every time the dev updates the app, I have been trying to see if the issues has been fixed. So far no it still isn't working.

Last edited by n4cr2k; 01-29-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: additional info
post #84 of 209 Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Correct. The proxy alignment doesn't complete on mine. It stops after it gets to the blind spot monitoring modules. My guess is its getting hung up on the trailer tow, but without other reports, this is just a guess. One of the other members who doesn't have the tow package was able to do a successful proxy alignment. So depending on what modules you have it may or may not work for you. There could be other components the developer needs to fix yet, we just don't know since only a few people have tried. From my testing, that seems to be the only module I can't communicate with.

Also, every time the dev updates the app, I have been trying to see if the issues has been fixed. So far no it still isn't working.
Have you try connecting to the tow module using OBDLink mx manually? Like going to the module to read codes. Maybe there's a code that's need clearing before it allows to proxy. Also try using the blue adapter. Maybe who knows when it gets to the tow part. The blue adapter is needed.
post #85 of 209 Old 02-07-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you try connecting to the tow module using OBDLink mx manually? Like going to the module to read codes. Maybe there's a code that's need clearing before it allows to proxy. Also try using the blue adapter. Maybe who knows when it gets to the tow part. The blue adapter is needed.

Yes, I've tried both of those suggestions without success. There are 2 variations of the tow module listed in alfaobd. maybe there is a 3rd?
post #86 of 209 Old 02-11-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Also just to try, I installed the new 8.4 screen without adding the GPS or NAV options. The only things that don't work are the navigation and auto clock set. No flashing odometer, all other functionality seems to be operating correctly.
Can you tell me what the options NAV and GPS options that you're trying to set with AlphaOBD? I have an 8.4" UAQ out of a Jeep Compass that I have installed in my RAM. I have everything working except the Navigation and Clock that synchs to GPS.
post #87 of 209 Old 02-12-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr View Post
Can you tell me what the options NAV and GPS options that you're trying to set with AlphaOBD? I have an 8.4" UAQ out of a Jeep Compass that I have installed in my RAM. I have everything working except the Navigation and Clock that synchs to GPS.
According to my research the options are:

GPS Presence=Enabled
NAV Presence=Enabled

You'll need to perform a proxy alignment after you make these changes.
post #88 of 209 Old 02-16-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I have some potentially good news. While playing with multiscan ecu I was able to successfully interface/write to the trailer tow module. Unfortunately, since this software doesn't support the Compass. I had to try with its closest relative, the renegade, since they share the same body computer and many of the same modules. The proxy alignment did throw errors since it wasn't made exactly for this model. Thankfully I was able to re-run the proxy alignment with alfaobd and get everything back working.

Having this info, we know that it would appear to be a bug in alfaobd for the trailer tow module. I'm going to try and reach out to the developer one more time with this latest info and see if he can help. This would also mean compasses without the tow package should have no issues with a proxy alignment on alfaobd. Second option, we might be able to ask the developer for multscan ecu to support the compass. Since it is very similar to the renegade, this might not be too much work.

Update:
even better news! The developer responded and said this will be fixed in the next release!! woo-hoo.
arudlang likes this.

Last edited by n4cr2k; 02-16-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: new info
post #89 of 209 Old 02-17-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
I have some potentially good news. While playing with multiscan ecu I was able to successfully interface/write to the trailer tow module. Unfortunately, since this software doesn't support the Compass. I had to try with its closest relative, the renegade, since they share the same body computer and many of the same modules. The proxy alignment did throw errors since it wasn't made exactly for this model. Thankfully I was able to re-run the proxy alignment with alfaobd and get everything back working.

Having this info, we know that it would appear to be a bug in alfaobd for the trailer tow module. I'm going to try and reach out to the developer one more time with this latest info and see if he can help. This would also mean compasses without the tow package should have no issues with a proxy alignment on alfaobd. Second option, we might be able to ask the developer for multscan ecu to support the compass. Since it is very similar to the renegade, this might not be too much work.

Update:
even better news! The developer responded and said this will be fixed in the next release!! woo-hoo.

this is perfect. We should make a permanent thread with things that can be officially added with AlfaOBD and options that can be turn on.

Example:
  1. Fog Lights
  2. Auto Headlight(needs furder inspection probably sensor needs to be added)
  3. Passive Entry (for those with sport model)
  4. Radio Options in the end a lot of stuff

n4cr2k likes this.
post #90 of 209 Old 02-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
According to my research the options are:

GPS Presence=Enabled
NAV Presence=Enabled

You'll need to perform a proxy alignment after you make these changes.
Just wondering where we are with proxy alignment for the 8.4 screens? I know last time I read through the thread and maybe your other one about the screen. That you were able to do everything besides getting it working via proxy alignment, thus not being able to use the screen without fault codes.

Has this finally been fixed? I am ok to get one of the 8.4 screens to swap out my 5"? I do not want to rely on the dealer to do this for me, I doubt they will... relying on the dealer is horrible choice :/

Thanks for your work on this system! PS: is there vids anywhere about this system so I can see how it works and maybe your 1st post you should post links on what you bought to use this system. I understand some certain blue/gray/red(maybe?) might be involved and link to the software would be awesome!

Thanks twice!

K

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in