• 1 Post By Tripod
  • 2 Post By 84z28
  • 3 Post By Tripod
  • 1 Post By Jasmine
  • 2 Post By mdram4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Should I buy?

My wifes 2013 Jeep Patriot with 4wd was sideswiped while parked, and totaled. She loved her Patriot, except that this last summer we took it on a 9 day road trip, and the trans (CVT), overheated 3 times, 2 times the car would not respond to accelerator until it cooled off. The dealer said there was nothing wrong, and in fact, the owners manual mentions this could happen, and how to deal with it. This is enough for me not wanting to buy another Jeep, and I tried to talk her into a Subaru, but she wants a Jeep. She likes the new Compass with all wheel drive, probably a mid level model with heated seats.
Are we making a mistake buying another Jeep? I would have preferred waiting another year to let them work out the bugs, but her car being totaled is forcing our hand.
Please educate me in the reliability, problems, quirks, likes and dislikes of the new Compass.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 02:00 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

They use a lot of motor oil. I'm getting about 2000/qt. IMHO that's a lot for a new engine, but the party line is that the 'tigershark' engine is designed with looser tolerances to reduce internal friction and therefore better fuel economy. I've been monitoring my oil consumption and I think its doing better, but its taken 15,000 miles to break in.

The Compass does indeed get better fuel economy agree with the better fuel economy. I too had a Patriot. Mine was FWD with the 2.4 & CVT. It averaged about 28-30MPG and it would squeak over 30MPG on a long easy trip. My Wife has a FWD Patriot with the 2.0 & 5-spd. She gets consistently over 30MPG, approaching 35MPG on the aforementioned long easy trip. By comparison my 2018 Compass is AWD and has averaged 31.4MPG in the 17,000 miles I've owned it, and while not a racing car, it has more spunk than either of our Patriots. So my AWD Compass has as much or more power than the Patriot 2.4 and gets fuel economy equal to a 2.0 5-spd FWD Patriot.

PS, the solution to the CVT overheating is a transmission cooler. Its recommended for towing, but a good idea for anyone who does a lot of driving under hot conditions, like long trips on the interstate in the summer.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 AM

I gave you info but didn't really answer your question. Yeah, I think I'd buy my Compass even if I knew about the oil consumption. When I was first driving it was common practice to check the oil at every fill-up. So I'm back to doing that.

The Compass is much more comfortable than the Patriot, too, and I do a lot of driving under a variety of conditions. I think there's more cargo space in the Compass, too. So yeah, I think I'd buy another. That said, I miss my Patriot. I really loved that vehicle -- IMO it would be tough for any vehicle to top it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 02:40 PM

Garage
mine is running great
i replaced a liberty with 315k on it with the compass
the 2.4L was getting over 36mpg in summer, and @ 33 now that its colder out

i have 16k on it since may, never had any issues with oil usage, i change @ 5k miles

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM

I have most of the bugs worked out of my new Compass, but I have to be honest I would not buy another. I simply have had too many issues with this one. If possible, I would reach to a perhaps less-equipped Cherokee, which is in almost every respect a nicer, more refined vehicle.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 PM

OP Dirtdad, I presume you realize that forums like this are populated by lovers and haters. I'm still undecided, but leaning toward liking it. FYI, I'm also hearing that other manufacturers have similar oil consumption issues. "Consumers have their own ideas about how much is normal and have sued several manufacturers in recent years over claims of excessive oil consumption, including Audi, BMW, Honda, Subaru and Toyota." (https://www.cars.com/articles/how-mu...1420682864535/).

No matter what you buy it will be designed and built by humans, and it will not be perfect. At least the Compass is on the lower end of the financial spectrum. If I paid big $$$ for a snobmobile and had this sort of problem, I'd be far more upset!
post #7 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
OP Dirtdad, I presume you realize that forums like this are populated by lovers and haters. I'm still undecided, but leaning toward liking it. FYI, I'm also hearing that other manufacturers have similar oil consumption issues. "Consumers have their own ideas about how much is normal and have sued several manufacturers in recent years over claims of excessive oil consumption, including Audi, BMW, Honda, Subaru and Toyota." (https://www.cars.com/articles/how-mu...1420682864535/).

No matter what you buy it will be designed and built by humans, and it will not be perfect. At least the Compass is on the lower end of the financial spectrum. If I paid big $$$ for a snobmobile and had this sort of problem, I'd be far more upset!
+1. It seems like most small displacement, high performance, high fuel economy engines consume some oil. They use thin engine oils, run hotter and have loose seals to reduce internal friction. In the end MPGs sell cars, consuming oil doesnt really deter the majority of buyers.

Like how many of us would buy the compass if it had no oil consumption but had an MPG of 18/25? Probably not many. I think the issue is FCA not being transparent about it. Say the engine consumes oil so people are less likely to go dry or put a oil level indicator light.
Jasmine likes this.

Last edited by Tripod; 11-16-2018 at 06:15 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 06:39 PM

I would say BUY, but my recommendation is bias.

4wd sport 6-speed manual with 28,000 (bought 2/201

Most of the major issues are with higher trim levels / automatic transmission.

I have had no oil issues (check it and change it regularly)
I have had no start/stop issues (these are in automatic)
I have no acceleration problems (manual transmission is fine, people complaining about it being slow is b/c the automatics with this jeep is sub-par)
I have no engine or other lights indicating any issues (yet).
I get decent gas mileage (average 27 on country roads/highway, 31+ if I'm really trying to be conservative).

I have had one problem with the Uconnect resetting my heat settings. After they updated to the latest firmware this problem disappeared.
I and many others have the common grumble from the rear differential but it's not really a "problem".
I still regret not buying a spare tire (not all will come with spare tire-check the trunk).
I noticed you want heated seats- I think this comes with the cold weather package, and I could only find that in some trim/color options when searching.
I would buy another one of these in an instant, especially with the value/price of the manual transmission model, likely I will move up to a Wrangler when I pass this on to my daughter next year.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
post #9 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 PM

I've been telling people that starting out with a lease is probably the best bet, even if its a shorter lease, because then you have enough time and miles to know if you have a good one or a buggy one, and then you have the option to buy it out or turn it in with minimal loss.

The really have a lot of bugs to fix with the 8.4 Uconnect, that is where virtually all my issues have been. Way too much copy-and-pasted code from FCA's other models that they did not test and debug thoroughly enough for the Compass leading to a lot of small annoying things which, were I not aware of how great Uconnect worked in other FCA vehicles, I might not even notice as much. But I have spent a lot of time in a 2017 Dodge Ram whose 8.4 Uconnect works perfect and a couple thousand miles driving a 2018 Chrysler 300 C with 8.4 Uconnect (my Compass was in the shop getting some of the electrical gremlins exorcised...) and the Uconnect was perfect in the Chrysler too so... I don't know what dope was in charge of tweaking the 8.4 to work in the Compass but they really half-assed it and it shows bad once you settle into it.

My most common problems:
- I get in to go to work and the Heat/AC system has reset and forgotten my previous fan and temperature settings.
- I use remote start and the air conditioning is on full blast when I enter the vehicle to go.
- Screen is slow to respond to input
- Occasionally has frozen up on me completely, but not for a while now (knock on wood).
- USB sometimes quits working, have to turn off and wait 5 minutes and then it works.
- Controls for heated seats and steering wheel are ONLY accesible via the 8.4 screen, and sometimes I press the button to turn it off and it appears to work, only to turn either the seat or the wheel right back on. Wish there were physical buttons for these controls.
- Not part of Uconnect but often get in on a random morning and have a warning light about the ESS system needing service. Goes away upon restart (for a week or three).
- Bluetooth ignores the phone set as "favorite", it always always ALWAYS connects to her phone in lieu of mine, even though my phone is set as the "Favorite".
- Digital speedo very slow to update (wouldn't know this if I didn't see it working perfectly in the Chrysler 300 and RAM)
- Rear fuse blocks do not match up with book description, missing some fuses and have others for features I don't have (like the panoramic sunroof).
- ESS system is completely worthless and annoying
- Stock tires aren't great
- Rear differential sometimes locks in with an unpleasant CLUNK or SNAP, seems like it should be able to be smoother.
- Engine is a cheap, mass produced thing that gets the job done but not smoothly.
- 9 speed auto Transmission shift schedule is bi-polar, but so is my driving

I think that about covers it, but there are tons of things I like about this vehicle. I don't have too many cares since I'm on a lease and I have lots of time left to figure out whether I will hang onto it long-run or not. It is extremely comfortable, good looking, and capable. Great handling for a big car. Nice sound system I enjoy going to work and back every day, good gas mileage, pretty good amount of cargo space. I've really loaded this sucker down a few times and it does well. I pulled a trailer that was nearly as heavy as the Jeep itself for over 1000 miles, including some mountains and it did surprisingly good for what it is.

Engine seems slightly stronger and more powerful now that I am rounding the corner to 20k miles. Perhaps some computer programming held it back to protect it for the first few thousand. Mine does sometimes need the oil topped off between oil changes, and I change only every 4k miles on the dot.

I use it like a work truck half the time and its held up well. Just the damn buggy electronics that bother me mainly.

I feel like most manufactures of competing products are putting out stuff in the same boat bug-wise, they almost have to in order to remain competitive with eachother price-wise. Tell you what though, as someone who writes code and software for a living, its like they hired some corn-ball intern to do the programming for the Uconnect system and it stinks because its baked into the car and not feasible to swap it out, you need that screen to adjust many of the car setting and some of the HVAC stuff. I've seen others that were worse though (cough cough HONDA 7 INCH)

Short lease, think of it as an extended trial. If you don't run into the issues the rest of us have had, keep it. If not, well virtually nothing is made to last more than 5 years anymore anyways. They are ALL in cohoots on that one, driving us all into a pattern of buying new things with warranty every X years.

If I keep this past the lease I will be forking over ANY amount of money for an extended warranty. Worst position you could be in with one of these 2nd gens is to own it outside of warranty coverage, total time bomb. Its too bad because many other FCA cars seem to be solid but Fiat is ruining all the good things that Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge have.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post

- I use remote start and the air conditioning is on full blast when I enter the vehicle to go.
I think that is an intended function. I used my friends Cherokee while I visited him for a week and that car was also doing the same thing. I think it has two reasons. First it recycles the air that sat inside the car, hot air in warm weather and moist air in cold weather. Second it is a backup mechanisms to prevent exhaust gas building up inside the cabin, in case there is a leak, as you might not notice it if you jump in the car that has been running for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post

- Bluetooth ignores the phone set as "favorite", it always always ALWAYS connects to her phone in lieu of mine, even though my phone is set as the "Favorite".
I realized that the car connects to which phone it finds first. In my case, my phone is set to "favorites" for calls and my wife's is set for music. It works this way if we enter the car at the same time. But if I start the car before she comes, my phone connects for both. I think the system checks the available connections and connects to favorites first, if the favorite is not there, it connects to what ever is available (and doesnt switch back automatically if the other device shows up, which it should have). The issue is, if one phone is slow to be discovered, the other one will always connect before it. This is the case with my ipad, for some reason it has a slow Bluetooth, it always show late whatever it is connecting to, and I was never able to get it connect to uconnect automatically as one of our phones always connect before it .

Last edited by Tripod; 11-16-2018 at 10:08 PM.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 11:59 PM

We have had our 2018 Compass Trailhawk since last February it is getting ready to flip 12k and we still love it only a couple of minor issues so far. We are not seeing but a tiny bit of oil use. Last oil change was like a around a quarter of a quart maybe over 7500 miles I just checked it today it looks like it might be less this next oil change.

One issue we had looked at is a humming noise between 30-40 MPH that comes and goes. This is something many Compass MP and Renegade owners have dealt with. Jeep did do a TSB on this issue I have found it was not a complete fix and do hope they do more on this issue in the future. Some people it bothers others it does not all I can say is ours is tolerable after TSB was done. If this is something that might get under your skin you should consider it a potential issue for you.

Right now our Navigation is on the fritz but we have been told to bring in they will do what it takes to fix it. I don't think it is going to be a big deal to fix.

Some complain over these things having no power and transmission acting a bit fruity. I have found ours to have plenty of power for daily driving up here in the mountains and no issue merging into interstate traffic. Transmission has been great my only complaint is 9th gear is useless unless you get north of 80-85 MPH. Plus side this 9 speed is a hydro transmission not a CVT and is made by ZF they had some issues early on but seem to have them nailed down pretty well now. The only thing I see with it is it has 2 dog clutch shifts and it takes it a bit longer to complete these shifts. I would go on a long test drive that includes merging into high speed traffic and see if it has enough kick for you and the transmission is ok with you then buy the one you drive if you like it. If you have to go elsewhere or change trim drive whatever you going to buy for a bit. These little Jeeps can vary in character from Jeep to Jeep.

Next biggie on the automatics is the start/stop crap it plain out sucks. It can be turned off but will default to back on next ignition cycle. You can do a mod to kill it but then you have to live with the malfunction indicator in the dash.

The only thing so far that would make me pause for a second if I had to do it over again is the humming noise. But given the fact of how capable this thing is off-road if all I had to spend is what we paid for our Compass I likely would do it again.

We had our mind set on a Subaru Forester when we first considered buying a new car. But there are some issues to look at. We were looking at a 6 speed and it is the only way I would buy one as all Subaru automatics are CVT with a bad history even for CVTs. The X-mode system looks impressive but not available on the manual which gets one of Subaru's oldest types of AWD. It is ok in the snow but venture off-road you will find it's limets quickly. It is also a part that commonly fails anywhere from just out of warranty to 130k. Just about all those crazy Subaru videos you see with them on slick grades or on rollers against other AWD vehicles are with the better AWD systems you can can only get on the automatic. Notice they do not run those "test" against the Renegade or now the Compass. Why because the New Jeep systems work just as well and even better in some conditions.

I have yet to drive our Compass in the snow but I'm betting it will do just as well as the Subaru automatic if not better and certainly better than a Subaru with a manual transmission. So do your homework on Subaru. Watch out for Subaru forums and groups they will tell you they have been drinking a quart of oil a mile replaced 2 CVT transmissions in a year and one set of head gaskets but they are still the greatest car ever invented. LOL

Just make sure to get your Compass pretty much the way you want it from the get go. These things are a bear to modify much on as far as factory type features.

Best of luck with whatever you get!
post #12 of 21 Old 11-17-2018, 11:38 PM

If you MUST get this car, as one said, lease it. Don't buy it, they have problems, perhaps you won't have any? Perhaps you will have as many as I did. Fact of the matter is if you buy it and find after 1-3 years its not for you...your stuck with the car until pay off or you decide to leave it in a sketchy neighborhood or torch it for insurance purposes or.... oppps how did it get in this lake...? anyways.. The resale value on these particular model year Compasses is VERY BAD. I know depreciation happens with every car but the sticker on my leased Compass was 35k+ (Limited with every available option), had it 9 months and broke the lease and got a Dodge RAM due to the car experiencing every issue other people may have had once but I had all of them happen.

Car sold at auction for a lousy 21k, maybe thats because it was sold as is and the sheer fact that the car fax would show i had it in the shop every other week... perhaps not.. but it lost 14k in residual value in those 9 months.

Problems I faced :

11/15/2017 (Wednesday) Mileage 47 – Taken Delivery of Vehicle 2018 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited with 47 Miles on odometer.

11/17/2017 (Friday): Mileage 151 – Odometer flashing, radio screen blank. Infotainment system / Safety features are not working that are tied into the radio. Dealership reset codes, unplugged radio, plugged back in, calibrated. Sent me on my way.

11/27/2017 (Monday): Mileage 741 – Radio goes out again, odometer is flashing. Dealership advises a flash is available to fix, eventually radio is replaced as flash won’t be out for a while. Without car for 15 days. Placed into a rental that only I can drive.

12/11/2017 (Monday): Mileage 754 – Start / Stop system is unavailable; New Bezel radio and HVAC bezels has to be ordered due to damage at dealership. Sirius XM Guardian features malfunctioning when remote starting car thru app, cannot resume car when using app. Dealer found a pin-fittings on trans controller broken, repaired. Replacement “refurbished” radio has cracked screen, new glass on order.

01/18/2018 (Thursday): Mileage 2.416 – Cracked radio screen replaced at dealership.

01/19/2018 (Friday): Mileage 2,430 – Radio lost alignment calibration, mileage was flashing, no XM. Calibration self-corrected before arriving at dealership. Passenger side air bag recall completed. T73 recall.

02/15/2018 (Thursday): Mileage 3,934 – Oil Change

04/05/2018 (Wednesday) Mileage 6,432 – Brought Jeep in for brake squeal in reverse and also for first 10 minutes of driving. Feels like parking brake engaged when it shows it’s not. Dealership replaced rotors and brake pads on the back.

Busted Sway bar on front passenger side determined for cause of clunking noises when driving on road. National back order for part. End up waiting 2 weeks for parts.

Jeep is also getting poor gas mileage, only observe 17MPG combined. Dealership cannot determine cause of issue. Stated it was our driving habits.

04/18/2018 (Wednesday) Mileage 7,000 – Front sway bar replaced. Noise went away on car.

04/28/2018 (Saturday) Mileage 7,488 – On instrument cluster, car was stating “Low Oil Pressure” when making turns, pull into Circle K by 11 Mile road and I-696, checked oil level, none registered on dip stick. Immediately drive to Sterling Heights Chrysler Dodge Jeep, dealer checks oil level, determines car is 4 quarts low on oil (Capacity is 5.5 per the handbook). Drove 3,554 miles on oil change. Well within oil change parameters of 6,000 miles between changes. Dealership changes oil and filter at 7,488 miles.

04/30/2018 – File for Arbitration with FCA and NCDS

05/15/2018 (Tuesday) Mileage 8,148 – Brought car into dealership to document oil consumption, dealership states only ½ quart burned. Drove 660 miles on new oil change.

05/25/2018 (Friday) Mileage 8,547 – Owner checks oil levels, determines Jeep is another ½ quart low. Tops off oil in driveway with Mopar 0w20 per handbook. Discover oil on engine cover, hood blanket, and around engine oil cap. Clean off and document. Could be potential blow by.

05/27/2018 (Sunday) Mileage 8,800 – Owner checks oil levels, determines Jeep is about another ¼ to ½ quart low. Leaves car as is to show during meeting on Tuesday.

05/30/2018 (Wednesday) – Suspension making noise, Jeep continues to consume oil and liftgate doesn’t operate correctly. Left for 3 days to be reviewed.

06/01/2018 (Friday) – Take delivery of car, left sway bar now replaced (right one was replaced 3 months ago), Oil changed at 8,899 miles and asked to bring back at 9,400 miles for oil consumption test, lift gate hardware replaced (striker adjusted, struts replaced).

06/04/2018 (Monday) - Decision on arbitration. I've been denied (shocker). Stated i've not had enough problems to justify buy back.

About several more times in the shop for oil consumption, outside trim breaking, more sway bar breakage, broken UConnect System, Anti Theft Deterrent system thinking im breaking into the car while driving. The list goes on...

Major Outstanding Concerns, they were ongoing when I broke the lease:

Poor Gas Mileage
Major Oil Consumption
Non-Working at times Warm A/C
Engine Start/Stop feature randomly being unavailable
Brakes still squeaking, parking brake randomly engages

Last edited by mikeexelby; 11-17-2018 at 11:50 PM.
post #13 of 21 Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 AM

Garage
Mass produced vehicles you always get lemons and it seems you got one just like others do with all manufacturers, how about you put your big boy pants on and deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeexelby View Post
If you MUST get this car, as one said, lease it. Don't buy it, they have problems, perhaps you won't have any? Perhaps you will have as many as I did. Fact of the matter is if you buy it and find after 1-3 years its not for you...your stuck with the car until pay off or you decide to leave it in a sketchy neighborhood or torch it for insurance purposes or.... oppps how did it get in this lake...? anyways.. The resale value on these particular model year Compasses is VERY BAD. I know depreciation happens with every car but the sticker on my leased Compass was 35k+ (Limited with every available option), had it 9 months and broke the lease and got a Dodge RAM due to the car experiencing every issue other people may have had once but I had all of them happen.

Car sold at auction for a lousy 21k, maybe thats because it was sold as is and the sheer fact that the car fax would show i had it in the shop every other week... perhaps not.. but it lost 14k in residual value in those 9 months.

Problems I faced :

11/15/2017 (Wednesday) Mileage 47 – Taken Delivery of Vehicle 2018 Jeep Compass 4x4 Limited with 47 Miles on odometer.

11/17/2017 (Friday): Mileage 151 – Odometer flashing, radio screen blank. Infotainment system / Safety features are not working that are tied into the radio. Dealership reset codes, unplugged radio, plugged back in, calibrated. Sent me on my way.

11/27/2017 (Monday): Mileage 741 – Radio goes out again, odometer is flashing. Dealership advises a flash is available to fix, eventually radio is replaced as flash won’t be out for a while. Without car for 15 days. Placed into a rental that only I can drive.

12/11/2017 (Monday): Mileage 754 – Start / Stop system is unavailable; New Bezel radio and HVAC bezels has to be ordered due to damage at dealership. Sirius XM Guardian features malfunctioning when remote starting car thru app, cannot resume car when using app. Dealer found a pin-fittings on trans controller broken, repaired. Replacement “refurbished” radio has cracked screen, new glass on order.

01/18/2018 (Thursday): Mileage 2.416 – Cracked radio screen replaced at dealership.

01/19/2018 (Friday): Mileage 2,430 – Radio lost alignment calibration, mileage was flashing, no XM. Calibration self-corrected before arriving at dealership. Passenger side air bag recall completed. T73 recall.

02/15/2018 (Thursday): Mileage 3,934 – Oil Change

04/05/2018 (Wednesday) Mileage 6,432 – Brought Jeep in for brake squeal in reverse and also for first 10 minutes of driving. Feels like parking brake engaged when it shows it’s not. Dealership replaced rotors and brake pads on the back.

Busted Sway bar on front passenger side determined for cause of clunking noises when driving on road. National back order for part. End up waiting 2 weeks for parts.

Jeep is also getting poor gas mileage, only observe 17MPG combined. Dealership cannot determine cause of issue. Stated it was our driving habits.

04/18/2018 (Wednesday) Mileage 7,000 – Front sway bar replaced. Noise went away on car.

04/28/2018 (Saturday) Mileage 7,488 – On instrument cluster, car was stating “Low Oil Pressure” when making turns, pull into Circle K by 11 Mile road and I-696, checked oil level, none registered on dip stick. Immediately drive to Sterling Heights Chrysler Dodge Jeep, dealer checks oil level, determines car is 4 quarts low on oil (Capacity is 5.5 per the handbook). Drove 3,554 miles on oil change. Well within oil change parameters of 6,000 miles between changes. Dealership changes oil and filter at 7,488 miles.

04/30/2018 – File for Arbitration with FCA and NCDS

05/15/2018 (Tuesday) Mileage 8,148 – Brought car into dealership to document oil consumption, dealership states only ½ quart burned. Drove 660 miles on new oil change.

05/25/2018 (Friday) Mileage 8,547 – Owner checks oil levels, determines Jeep is another ½ quart low. Tops off oil in driveway with Mopar 0w20 per handbook. Discover oil on engine cover, hood blanket, and around engine oil cap. Clean off and document. Could be potential blow by.

05/27/2018 (Sunday) Mileage 8,800 – Owner checks oil levels, determines Jeep is about another ¼ to ½ quart low. Leaves car as is to show during meeting on Tuesday.

05/30/2018 (Wednesday) – Suspension making noise, Jeep continues to consume oil and liftgate doesn’t operate correctly. Left for 3 days to be reviewed.

06/01/2018 (Friday) – Take delivery of car, left sway bar now replaced (right one was replaced 3 months ago), Oil changed at 8,899 miles and asked to bring back at 9,400 miles for oil consumption test, lift gate hardware replaced (striker adjusted, struts replaced).

06/04/2018 (Monday) - Decision on arbitration. I've been denied (shocker). Stated i've not had enough problems to justify buy back.

About several more times in the shop for oil consumption, outside trim breaking, more sway bar breakage, broken UConnect System, Anti Theft Deterrent system thinking im breaking into the car while driving. The list goes on...

Major Outstanding Concerns, they were ongoing when I broke the lease:

Poor Gas Mileage
Major Oil Consumption
Non-Working at times Warm A/C
Engine Start/Stop feature randomly being unavailable
Brakes still squeaking, parking brake randomly engages
arudlang and zsc1991 like this.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
Mass produced vehicles you always get lemons and it seems you got one just like others do with all manufacturers, how about you put your big boy pants on and deal with it
I did deal with it. I got rid of it. This guy was asking if he should get it. If he likes all the problems other members enjoy like oil burning, random electrical issues, peeling trim this car is for you!
post #15 of 21 Old 11-18-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I did deal with it. I got rid of it. This guy was asking if he should get it. If he likes all the problems other members enjoy like oil burning, random electrical issues, peeling trim this car is for you!
Or he would have non of those issues like the majority of owners. Which was the point 84z28 made.
arudlang, zsc1991 and Jasmine like this.
post #16 of 21 Old 11-19-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
I did deal with it. I got rid of it.
If the car is a genuine problem, that is the best plan. Someone else will buy it and since you've done all this work, and ironically, they'll probably be satisfied with it.

Quote:
This guy was asking if he should get it. If he likes all the problems other members enjoy like oil burning, random electrical issues, peeling trim this car is for you!
Most cars don't have all those problems. If you've got a lemon then as the song says, "You have to know when to walk away, and know when to run."

So far I can cope with my engine oil consumption and that actually seems to be improving. Aside from that, no other problems (17,000 miles).
arudlang likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 11-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Garage
I'm about to hit 5k on mine, with nearly zero problems. The only one, and it's just a slight annoyance more than anything, is that the Bluetooth occasionally doesn't connect when I'm using Android Auto. So I have to take phone calls using speaker phone. In my 5k of owning it, I've enjoyed it. I would buy one again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #18 of 21 Old 11-20-2018, 11:53 AM

Garage
Quote:

then why are you still hanging around?

2018 Compass Latitude
post #19 of 21 Old 11-20-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
then why are you still hanging around?
To see just how bad others will have it down the road when they say they won't. Plus, even though I don't own it anymore doesn't mean I can't contribute. In any event, back to the OP, don't buy it.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
To see just how bad others will have it down the road when they say they won't. Plus, even though I don't own it anymore doesn't mean I can't contribute. In any event, back to the OP, don't buy it.
fair enough, but you know every car can have a lemon in the fold.
people that do not have issues wont look for a answer on a forum
i would wager 95% of owners wont look for a forum for any reason
mikeexelby and Jasmine like this.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #21 of 21 Old 11-21-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram4x4 View Post
fair enough, but you know every car can have a lemon in the fold.
people that do not have issues wont look for a answer on a forum
i would wager 95% of owners wont look for a forum for any reason
Indeed, every manufacturer out there has a last car off the assembly line on a Friday night, and a first car on a Monday morning. And its not just the vehicles themselves, but all the components. An otherwise good vehicle can have that tranny that was last on a Friday, or an alternator, or an axle bearing, etc. The real headaches come when all these things converge.

Participants on forums like this can be lovers, haters, or just those seeking help. We had a Saturn with an issue and I joined the Saturn forum to find a solution. I didn't really care for the vehicle nor was it a lemon, just in the bottom half of the vehicles we've had. I've had other GM products that were golden.

Last edited by Jasmine; 11-21-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in