Stock Trailhawk tires with miles in the rain and snow. - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 84z28

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 11-16-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Stock Trailhawk tires with miles in the rain and snow.

Last winter when the truck was new, this thing was like a billy goat in the snow...I have 17k on it now and in the rain, going around curves the truck feels pretty loose, and in the snow yesterday it was slipping everywhere. It feels like the tires have no grip in the rain/snow anymore. Has anyone else noticed this? What's the life expectancy on the Wildpeaks?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 PM

How cold was it when it snowed? Wet snow is considerably more slippery then dry snow. Maybe you just came across that.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
How cold was it when it snowed? Wet snow is considerably more slippery then dry snow. Maybe you just came across that.
It was 32-33 on the way home, but even recently in the rain there is one particular bend where the truck gets a little squirrelly, it never really felt that way until about the 15k miles on them. The tread still looks great, not even close to the wear bars, they have been rotated 2x, and inflated properly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake722 View Post
It was 32-33 on the way home, but even recently in the rain there is one particular bend where the truck gets a little squirrelly, it never really felt that way until about the 15k miles on them. The tread still looks great, not even close to the wear bars, they have been rotated 2x, and inflated properly.

Yeah it might be wet snow. Do you remember what was the temperature when you drove on snow last year. Here in inland Washington, it mostly snows under colder conditions (<~20-25F) so the snow is dry and not as slipper. Wet snow is rare, but when it snows at 32-33F, I am always extra careful.

I dont know about rain though. If the tread are okay, I dont know what it can be.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2018, 08:59 PM

Garage
Stock tires are a cheaper tire than when you buy the same name brand after the fact they will almost always wear twice as fast. I've never had a tire last more than 3 years on a newly purchased vehicle

Quote:
Last winter when the truck was new, this thing was like a billy goat in the snow...I have 17k on it now and in the rain, going around curves the truck feels pretty loose, and in the snow yesterday it was slipping everywhere. It feels like the tires have no grip in the rain/snow anymore. Has anyone else noticed this? What's the life expectancy on the Wildpeaks?

Jasmine likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2018, 09:39 PM

heh... you should try the continentals they put on most of the limiteds... a half-wore set of wildpeaks would probably feel pretty good after a few miles on my Jeep's shoes!
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 01:04 AM

By any chance did you have the TSB done for the common humming noise between 30-40 MPH?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
By any chance did you have the TSB done for the common humming noise between 30-40 MPH?
To my knowledge, no. Unless it was done prior to purchase last December.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 01:16 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
Stock tires are a cheaper tire than when you buy the same name brand after the fact they will almost always wear twice as fast. I've never had a tire last more than 3 years on a newly purchased vehicle
Ditto in my experience, with the exception of the factory Michelins on my old Bravada. They went the distance which is remarkable on a pretty heavy AWD vehicle.

Most factory tires are made to a price. Trouble is, that policy has just about soured me on Goodyear. The Wrangler RTSs on our Wrangler were awful in every way. My Wife complained about them but I didn't really take Her seriously -- until one night when I asked my Wife to leave Her Wrangler at the bus station and take my FWD Pontiac home before the snow got bad. I got off the bus late that night and had the most miserable ride home I've ever had. Those tires could even cope with the crown of the road. They were gone in a week. Got General Grabber AT2s -- night & day.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
To my knowledge, no. Unless it was done prior to purchase last December.

If it has been in for service it is possible your dealer performed the TSB. Our Compass got a bit looser and started some front wheel spin on wet pavement it did not have before the updates in full auto mode. Using 4wd lock stops it from doing this but it has never been bad enough to use 4wd lock every time it rains. However I see this might become a problem in the snow and ice.

Are you leaving it in full auto mode or using 4wd Lock or snow mode? If so use snow or 4wd lock in the white stuff.

Check the date on those tires it is possible they were pulled from older stock even to be installed on a new vehicle. I have seen brand new cars with 3 year old tires on them. The tread may look great but the compound gotten harder since last year and hurting the grip. I had stock Tiger paws on my 03 Tracker till like 2012 and near 100k. Tread still looked great but the rubber was so hard a wet road was like driving on ice. New tires stopped that instantly. I should've never let them go so long no matter how good they looked. LOL

Another thing that can happen is that the Compound on some tires gets harder with wear so you might be experiencing that. If this is the case move to a different tire with great reviews.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in