Dead Battery Issues, christmas tree light display - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By Chris Jacobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Dead Battery Issues, christmas tree light display

I have a 2018 Compass Limited with about 300 miles, bought it about 2/3 weeks ago. From day 1 I had the "start/stop battery charging" message come up and it never charging. It became the "start stop needs servicing" message coming on intermittently. Now this morning I go to turn the car on and its dead, I got every single message come up on the screen, "No Key Fob detected", "bling spot disabled", remote start disabled, this disable, that disabled. So we decided to give it a jump, went to open the hatch to get the cables I have stored in the spare tire compartment, well guess what I cant open it because there is no juice. I dont know how Jeep would design it where you cant even open the hatch if the battery is dead(I have the power liftgate) So once we were able to get another set of cables, we hook it up and she starts right up! Great, I let it run for 10 minutes or so, I shut her off and go out for about an hour or so, come back to start it up again and boom, its dead again. So tomorrow morning I am going to the dealership the minute they open and hopefully we can get some clarity after they look at it, assuming I can jump it again and it not die on me while driving to the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2018, 05:43 AM

Why are you trying to access the battery in the trunk? If I am not mistaken, the main battery is under the hood. The one that is in the trunk is the auxiliary battery that powers the car while engine is off during start/stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Why are you trying to access the battery in the trunk? If I am not mistaken, the main battery is under the hood. The one that is in the trunk is the auxiliary battery that powers the car while engine is off during start/stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumper cables were in the back. RIE.

2018 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4, Manual Transmission Babee!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrdubb02
I let it run for 10 minutes or so
10 minutes is not nearly enough to recharge a low battery, not by a long shot. Alternators don't charge much at idle either, should have gone for a good half-hour drive at least and/or put a battery charger on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod
If I am not mistaken, the main battery is under the hood. The one that is in the trunk is the auxiliary battery that powers the car while engine is off during start/stop.
Both batteries are under the hood in the MP Compass.
10-64 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-21-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Just an update for you guys. Dropped off the Jeep at the dealer yesterday in the AM when they ran the Diag the service adviser said there was about 3 pages of codes that came up. They replaced the main battery and the auxiliary battery and all is good....for now! Lets hope I don't have this issue again....as a side note, anyone know how to disable the start/stop or is the only method always hitting the button?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrdubb02 View Post
Just an update for you guys. Dropped off the Jeep at the dealer yesterday in the AM when they ran the Diag the service adviser said there was about 3 pages of codes that came up. They replaced the main battery and the auxiliary battery and all is good....for now! Lets hope I don't have this issue again....as a side note, anyone know how to disable the start/stop or is the only method always hitting the button?

Glad to see you got you Jeep sorted out!

For start/stop you can disable it very easily but you will get a icon warning on the dash and a code in the messages. If you look under the front lip of your hood there is a plastic piece that sticks down. It pushes down a switch button on the core support. You can pinch the plastic part on the hood to release the clips and pull it out. Then your done that is it. Your Start/Stop disabled icon will come on in the cluster after just a very short amount of driving mine came on by the end of our driveway. I did not like having the waring on the cluster and put mine back as it bothered me more than the start/stop does. LOL
arudlang likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-23-2018, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
Glad to see you got you Jeep sorted out!

For start/stop you can disable it very easily but you will get a icon warning on the dash and a code in the messages. If you look under the front lip of your hood there is a plastic piece that sticks down. It pushes down a switch button on the core support. You can pinch the plastic part on the hood to release the clips and pull it out. Then your done that is it. Your Start/Stop disabled icon will come on in the cluster after just a very short amount of driving mine came on by the end of our driveway. I did not like having the waring on the cluster and put mine back as it bothered me more than the start/stop does. LOL
Yea I don't want to mess with anything like that especially after having yet another issue w/ the Jeep today. I have to take it back to the dealership again tomorrow, 2nd time this week. Now it looks like I might have some kind of leak going on, tranny fluid or something, saw a puff of what I thought was road dust coming from the back, when I pulled into the driveway the rear of the car looked like some sprayed oil from an spray can. There was a small puddle of what smelled like tranny fluid. Needless to say this has NOT been a great experience with Jeep thus far with just 550 miles on it.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-23-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

So my first impressions of Jeep is NOT good. I have had the Compass for a little under a month, I have 550 miles on it and its been a headache. Battery and Auxiliary battery and Christmas tree of lights grounded me Monday/Tuesday and today I drop off the jeep this morning @ 730 am because of the issue I mentioned above with the oil, I got no call back all day, I had to be the one to call the dealer at 430 pm and left a message. Still didn't get a call back but I had to be the one to call again an hour later to be put on hold for 15 minutes which then I finally got a hold of the service adviser to be told that it turns out the Power train / transfer case has a seal that is leaking oil. He told me he called in the afternoon(which I was home all day because I obviously had no means of transportation to go anywhere and I never got a voicemail either) so that they could try to get me into a rental. So tomorrow I am supposed to go pick up a rental after they call me in the AM(8-9 am I was told) and they need to order the part and my car will most likely not be ready until Tuesday/Wednesday. Knowing my luck I will end up getting some kind of small economy vehicle because as the service adviser said He has no control and at this point I'm picking straws. This sucks because this week alone I am paying for a car that I have driven twice, I gave Jeep a shot after owning and leasing VW's for the last 16 years with zero issues and here I am 23 days into owning a Jeep and already having headaches.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-24-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrdubb02 View Post
This sucks because this week alone I am paying for a car that I have driven twice, I gave Jeep a shot after owning and leasing VW's for the last 16 years with zero issues and here I am 23 days into owning a Jeep and already having headaches.
Unfortunate but not surprising. I think I would be more surprised if owners can go more than a month without a problem. Next time I take this truck in for an oil change I'm going to ask that my sales guy run a car fax to see if the new owner is having as much fun as I was. He's had it for two months at this point.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

So just as an update, I was with out the car for 1 whole week while they worked on it. Turns out there was an issue w/ a seal at the PTM. From what the service writer told me it looks like it could have been an assembly line issue. They did provide me with a loaner(which I was not going to leave with out one) and it was fixed under warranty. I am just not 10000% confident yet with this jeep. I fee like I am just waiting for something else to happen but I sure hope not. What I do feel the need to is talk to someone about this because up to that point I picked it up from service I had owned the car for 29 days and was physically with out it for 9 of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in