• 1 Post By jjcom
  • 3 Post By Jasmine
  • 2 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By joninpa

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 11-21-2018, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Positive Things to Say About Your 2nd Generation Compass

Okay, I haven't had my first oil changes yet and have been seeing some quirks and minor flaws in my 2018 Compass Limited. So I figure I should start talking about the positive aspects of the vehicle that brought me back to the Jeep dealership.

1. AESTHETIC - this 2nd gen has the right looks. A baby Grand Cherokee that looks like a Jeep from every angle and easily recognizable from a great distance. Iconic 7 slotted grille looks great even if they are fake and don't have any holes in them. There are distinctive models like the Limited with black color top, chrome and leather; the Trailhawk with its functional bumpers and that are actually made for departure/approach angles, and Easter eggs galore on all models

2. COMFORT - Say what you will about this short wheelbase, this Jeep is a comfortable riding vehicle. It's even better with 18" wheels or smaller. It's well dampened and well insulated. So much so that you can carry on a conversation with the backseat passengers at highway speed. It has built in remote start, push button ignition, proximity key, dual zone climate control, heated seat and heated steering wheel. Enormous customizable touch screen infotainment system that's more intuitive than anything out there. (even if it's a bit buggy)

3. CAPABLE - I've complained plenty about the whinny 4x4 system but it works very well through snow and torrential downpour. It handles very well through OHIO 555 (AKA Triple Nickel) as an SUV. It's roomy too (as compared to my Fiat 500X) and has plenty of ground clearance which are needed for straddling over racoon and possum on country roads. It is a Jeep after all.

So I guess I'm trying to remind myself why I bought this vehicle in the first place and hopefully balance some of the negative ramblings that's been said.
arudlang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-21-2018, 09:28 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Well, forums attract people with problems because they come to other owners looking for solutions. Hopefully they get them. Most people are happy with their purchase and never join an owners forum. People who love their Compass may tell a few others. People with a lemon will scream bloody murder to everyone they meet and forums like this are a place to tell the world -- well a few hundred other members on the site.

Positive things about my 2nd generation Compass:
  • Interior space is a lot bigger than it looks from the outside. More passenger space than my previous Patriot; cargo space is equal to or better than my Patriot,
  • I like the nifty storage area underneath the rear floor (where the spare tire oughtta be).
  • Fuel economy is excellent (until it got cold I was averaging 31.5MPG). Cooler temperatures, snow tires and snow are lowering my MPGs now.

Overall I'm happy with my Compass.
arudlang, Ofwolfandman and jjcom like this.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-21-2018, 02:03 PM

I agree with whats already been said, and I will add to that the towing capabilities have really come through for my needs and finally freed me of the need to keep two separate vehicles to cover my daily commuting and occasional hauling needs. Finally I have one vehicle that does everything. A nice looking, comfortable, capable commuter with great highway gas mileage (for what it is) and then when it came to deer hunting I was able to flop down the rear seats, load up tons of gear, hitch up my trailer with my golf cart and haul everything to hunting land. Been able to take 4 people and their gear camping (with the cargo rack), been able to take 5 people and the big boat to the lake for a recreation day, been able to bring a new lawnmower home on the trailer, brought home a new garage door on a big trailer, hauled a bunch of large appliances for my mother-in-law, been able to haul a small project car over 1000 miles to get it home... buggy electronics notwithstanding this little thing has been a total workhorse for me and taken everything in stride.

I think once I finally get rid of the stock tires (next fall, most likely) it will reach a new level of Minnesota winter capability as well, but even with cheap OEM continentals it gets around pretty darn good in bad wintery weather. With the cold weather package it is a really good Minnesota car.

For a small SUV or CUV or whatever you want to call it, it has excellent handling characteristics compared to my old S10 SUV. Runs great on high-speed interstates during road trips, comfortable and composed while lightly sipping fuel and hammering down a big highway at 80 MPH.

I do have a list of caveats but this thread was made for positive comments so I'm just going to keep it at that
lundy and jjcom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-26-2018, 03:09 PM

3rd gear
syzygylym likes this.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in