Loooooong highway trip - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfy
  • 2 Post By Tripod
  • 1 Post By Wolfy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 11-26-2018, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Loooooong highway trip

Greetings everyone. I haven't had much time to chat about in forums as of late due to work and home business. I just got back from a trip to the deepest, southest part of Texas you can go and still be north of the U.S. Border. We did in fact, walk across to Progresso Mexico twice during the visit. We took the Compass down and back. Nearly 3500 trouble free miles added to the odometer with decent enough fuel economy given the weather we left in, getting stuck for an hour behind a fatality, a fair amount of hardcore city driving, and being loaded pretty much to the point that we couldn't get another item stuffed in the back if we wanted to. We're both still loving our orange Trailhawk as we rapidly approach our first year anniversary with our Italian Jeep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compass trip miles.jpg (47.4 KB, 40 views)
arudlang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-26-2018, 01:39 PM

I don't know if you noticed anything but for us it seems like on those long trips it almost rides better when its heavily laden with gear and stuff in the back. Seems to float better over bumps somehow. Might just be my imagination though. Glad you had a good trip!
post #3 of 11 Old 11-26-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arudlang View Post
I don't know if you noticed anything but for us it seems like on those long trips it almost rides better when its heavily laden with gear and stuff in the back. Seems to float better over bumps somehow. Might just be my imagination though. Glad you had a good trip!
Our favorite thing became the seat heaters. We both have pretty messed up backs, and when they started to complain about all the sitting, we put them to use to basically have built in heating pads to settle the discomfort. We've always been pretty happy with the ride. I didn't feel like it rode any different, but the roads were were on were pretty good with just a few exceptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-26-2018, 11:31 PM

Just curious but what would you say your average speed was?
post #5 of 11 Old 11-26-2018, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigthcast View Post
Just curious but what would you say your average speed was?
We kept to a maximum of 55 mph. If you want to meet or beat the EPA figures, you have to drive the vehicle in the same manner that they're tested.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
We kept to a maximum of 55 mph. If you want to meet or beat the EPA figures, you have to drive the vehicle in the same manner that they're tested.

+1. People drive @70mph and complain they canít get EPA highway consumption rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
REVIGOR and 10-64 like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
+1. People drive @70mph and complain they canít get EPA highway consumption rating.
I wouldn't complain, but I would gladly take my 13 hours back (assuming speed limit is 70 vs 55).
post #8 of 11 Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moira2 View Post
I wouldn't complain, but I would gladly take my 13 hours back (assuming speed limit is 70 vs 55).
Speeds varied from 55 to 75 on the route we took. Thing is that the savings in time is not 13 hours, it's more along the lines of about 4, and that's if you keep consistently on the road and don't mess around. You'll lose a sizeable chunk of the ground you gain with the extra fuel stops, since mileage takes a solid 10 mpg hit between 55 and 70. In both directions, we watched the same cars pass us repeatedly. I'd much rather save the gas money, as well as the added wear and tear from accelerated tire wear, suspension wear, transmission wear, etc......
Tripod likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-29-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Speeds varied from 55 to 75 on the route we took. Thing is that the savings in time is not 13 hours, it's more along the lines of about 4, and that's if you keep consistently on the road and don't mess around. You'll lose a sizeable chunk of the ground you gain with the extra fuel stops, since mileage takes a solid 10 mpg hit between 55 and 70. In both directions, we watched the same cars pass us repeatedly. I'd much rather save the gas money, as well as the added wear and tear from accelerated tire wear, suspension wear, transmission wear, etc......
I was not trying to actually say you would have gained that much, so sorry if it seemed like a criticism or anything. It's pretty tough to average 70 mph for an entire trip when accounting for stops, etc even if it's all interstate. I regularly drive 1000 each way to visit family, so I get it.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-30-2018, 12:51 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Indeed, I've noticed the dramatic change in MPG between 50 and 70MPH.

Also noticed that my MPG dropped about 3 MPG when I put my snow tires on. From 31.5 average first 16,000 to 28.6 in the last 2000 miles. Of course the temp has dropped to below freezing most of the time and near zero F for a day or two. And that includes driving in a couple snowstorms where MPG trails safety in my priorities.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy
mileage takes a solid 10 mpg hit between 55 and 70.
Not in the long-legged limited trim with 3.73 final drive. We averaged 28 MPG for nearly 1000 miles trying to stay between 75 and 80 MPH on the way down to West Virginia (closer to 80 a lot of the time!) We were in no way concerned about our mileage on that run, just how fast could we get the trip over with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in