Fog lights add on retrofit? - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dawm

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 12-01-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Fog lights add on retrofit?

Hi All,
My folks have 2017 Jeep Compass Sport MP. It does not have fog lights. I have been trying to find an add on retrofit kit that replaces the solid plastic cover with the whole fog light assembly. Whatever wiring needs to be done I can do. I have searched and found nothing.
Hopefully someone will have done this or know where I can find the parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181201_161114.jpg (57.7 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-02-2018, 12:06 AM

I think it was difficult due to the fact that the fog light option needs to be activated for the cars computer and only the dealers have the certified scanners that can do the activation (it is possible to do the activation your self with specific OBD scanners and security bypass modules, but that is also difficult). So even when people installed the OEM bulbs, switch and the wiring, it didn't work without software activation.

Last edited by Tripod; 12-02-2018 at 12:12 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

If there is an add on kit I can wire it independently from any existing car wiring if needed with it's own switch. I do not need just the bulbs. I need the whole assembly including faceplates.

Last edited by Ullihundi; 12-02-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-03-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullihundi View Post
If there is an add on kit I can wire it independently from any existing car wiring if needed with it's own switch. I do not need just the bulbs. I need the whole assembly including faceplates.

Stay tunned to Alfa OBD diagnostic software thread.

and for the fog light install to look oem and work oem. You would need OEM Switch with fog light and Fog light wiring harness. It remplaces current harness used for daylight running light and signal to add fog light. ( actually it adds 2 wires for fog light and ground to them.. ) keep in mind this harness is separated from the rest of the engine harness. meaning it plugs in the driver (left) side of the bumper and it goes to the fog lights and daytime running lights etc.

in other topic. the parts needed are posted. you can go and see.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Figueroa View Post
Stay tunned to Alfa OBD diagnostic software thread.

and for the fog light install to look oem and work oem. You would need OEM Switch with fog light and Fog light wiring harness. It remplaces current harness used for daylight running light and signal to add fog light. ( actually it adds 2 wires for fog light and ground to them.. ) keep in mind this harness is separated from the rest of the engine harness. meaning it plugs in the driver (left) side of the bumper and it goes to the fog lights and daytime running lights etc.

in other topic. the parts needed are posted. you can go and see.

AlfaOBD looks promising, I was really hoping to use that to activate the adaptive cruise control on my car. However, as @n4cr2k described, the security module that you need to bypass with a specific adapter is placed behind the dash. So it might require the whole front dash to be disassembled, in order for you to install the bypass module. FCA really went to great lengths to prevent after market scanners from making software changes. To me it might be too much to do, unless there is a practical way to install the module.

Next time I went to the dealer, I will ask them to see if it is possible for them to activate ACC. All the parts, except the steering wheel buttons, are already on the car (as it came with the security package that has the front facing radar). The only thing needed is the buttons and software activation. I assume same can also be done for fog lights if the dealer is willing to activate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 12-03-2018, 12:41 PM

Garage
check with a dealer
i bought a kit for my 01 ram years ago
wiring harness was already in place
it was a matter of bolting in lights, connecting some wires, then chaging out the light switch

2018 Compass Latitude
post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2018, 08:13 PM

update:

its possible to enable factory fog lights. I have now on my sport 2017 compass MP.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 PM

please share, I'm looking into doing this myself. Did you go OEM or aftermarket?
post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsg View Post
please share, I'm looking into doing this myself. Did you go OEM or aftermarket?
OEM
It's the only way. Without giving any error to the canbus.

There's other topic on these forums with the parts needed.
Fog light and daylytime wiring harness. This harness replaced the current harness.
Fog light assembly's and OEM switch.
AlfaoBD
OBDLink MX
Grey cable and
Patience to use Alfa OBD

I can do a step by step. But it will take time.

Since English is not my first language.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the list, will look more into it. If you want to go ahead with the step by step I can help with translation if it is spanish to english.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-07-2018, 02:58 PM

My aux lighting module could be used to activate fogs through the factory switch. If you wired them like a light bar or aftermarket fogs (wired to a relay). My module takes the factory fog switch and allows it to control the fogs like normal and 3 other independent relays (light bars, ditch lights, rock lights..etc) just got the prototype boards yesterday, gonna try and find time this weekend to start testing it on my own vehicles (compass and renegade)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullihundi View Post

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
katrinacop likes this.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in