Why is the Rear Wheel Not Centered? - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By dawm
  • 1 Post By Toy
  • 1 Post By Tripod

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 12-14-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Why is the Rear Wheel Not Centered?

I see that on our Compasses, the rear wheel is not centered in the wheel well.

Why is that? Not that I was going to go with a larger tire, but it limits the diameter without lifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-14-2018, 03:08 PM

Nobody knows for sure but possibly as simple as something they elected not to fix after copy-and-pasting the basic design of the Fiat 500 / Renegade to use as the starting point for this car. Somebody in design apparently did more stretching than the engineers were able to keep up with. Maybe became an issue of desired track width vs wheelbase length, like another inch would have somehow negatively affected the handling or rollover resistance. Its annoying, for sure. Maybe someday there will be a differential relocation kit available in aftermarket, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Two wheel drive versions could probably move it very easily but nobody buying a two wheel drive jeep likely gives a hoot anyways.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM

Look at the angle of the rear strut, it's not straight vertical, it's rearward. As the strut compresses the wheel moves up and back in the wheel well. It's by design.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
10-64 and Tripod like this.

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawm View Post
Look at the angle of the rear strut, it's not straight vertical, it's rearward. As the strut compresses the wheel moves up and back in the wheel well. It's by design.

Yeah its this. It is a design element added to make the ride more comfortable. When you go over a bump, rather than the wheel going straight up and pushing the car up, the wheel can move in accordance with the motions of the car and give a much smoother motion. It is also the same reason why if you go over a bump in reverse, it is very rough (as this desing limits the motion of strut in reverse direction).

So if the wheel was centered with the design, the tire would hit the rear of the wheel wall. In a sense they need that much of space between the wheel.

I good question is why didnt they made larger space for the rear wheel so that it can be centered and this suspension system still works. I assume the reason is the size of the car. On a car that is relatively small like this, you cant make a very large wheel space. If they made the front of the wheel wall as wide as the rear, it would take a lot of space from the rear doors and would probably make the car look strange (since front and rear would be different sized). It might also cause other issues like wind noise and a drop in MPG due to drag. Other options were to change the wheel base (which is expensive since they need to modify the chassis).
post #5 of 11 Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 PM

Aesthetics as you mentioned different wheel arches and occupying interior space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Yeah its this. It is a design element added to make the ride more comfortable. When you go over a bump, rather than the wheel going straight up and pushing the car up, the wheel can move in accordance with the motions of the car and give a much smoother motion. It is also the same reason why if you go over a bump in reverse, it is very rough (as this desing limits the motion of strut in reverse direction).

So if the wheel was centered with the design, the tire would hit the rear of the wheel wall. In a sense they need that much of space between the wheel.

I good question is why didnt they made larger space for the rear wheel so that it can be centered and this suspension system still works. I assume the reason is the size of the car. On a car that is relatively small like this, you cant make a very large wheel space. If they made the front of the wheel wall as wide as the rear, it would take a lot of space from the rear doors and would probably make the car look strange (since front and rear would be different sized). It might also cause other issues like wind noise and a drop in MPG due to drag. Other options were to change the wheel base (which is expensive since they need to modify the chassis).

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #6 of 11 Old 12-15-2018, 12:39 AM

Somewhere I read it was because they used the Renegade platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 Old 12-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Toy

Renegades look the same. Rear wheels are not centered too.

Compass Limited CRD, MY18, Pearl White, Leather Black, uConnect 8.4Nav & Beats Audio

覧覧覧覧覧-
German Jeep Forum for new Jeeps from MY14 and up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy View Post
Renegades look the same. Rear wheels are not centered too.

But the Fiat Toro that also shares platform with these two has its rear wheels centered.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-17-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernテ。n Grimberg View Post
But the Fiat Toro that also shares platform with these two has its rear wheels centered.

Because it has a much larger wheel arch that doesn't need the wheel to be offset for motion.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-20-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim010 View Post
I see that on our Compasses, the rear wheel is not centered in the wheel well.

Why is that? Not that I was going to go with a larger tire, but it limits the diameter without lifting.
All four of my wheels are perfectly centered in all four wheel wells. Want to know why? It is because I ordered Mopar splash guards at the time I purchased my Compass new. Everyone who complains about this did not get splash guards. The Compass looks much better with them, so just order a set to correct this.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-20-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

This does not correct the centering issue, but hide it at best.

Still, pics would help to see what you mean.

Last edited by jim010; 12-20-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in