• 1 Post By 84z28
  • 2 Post By Grayrider84
  • 1 Post By arudlang
  • 1 Post By RadRacer
  • 2 Post By katrinacop

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 25 Old 12-20-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What's the deal with fix-a-flat on a JEEP ?

I know it's common for modern vehicle to cheapen out and include a can of fix-a-flat instead of a spare tire. But a compact spare should be standard equipment on a Jeep! (full size spare with same pattern alloy wheel as a low cost option) Stop wasting development money on Easter eggs. Come on, braille on the driver foot rest? Leave out the silliness and put in useful equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-20-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
I know it's common for modern vehicle to cheapen out and include a can of fix-a-flat instead of a spare tire. But a compact spare should be standard equipment on a Jeep! (full size spare with same pattern alloy wheel as a low cost option) Stop wasting development money on Easter eggs. Come on, braille on the driver foot rest? Leave out the silliness and put in useful equipment.
They have full sized spares on trailhawks
Lee Ekstrom likes this.

Last edited by Tripod; 12-20-2018 at 05:24 AM.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-20-2018, 09:04 PM

Garage
You can purchase a full size spare. I'm fine with the fix-a-flat. In 15 years of driving, I've only used my spare once and it was in worse condition than the "flat" tire

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-21-2018, 02:20 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Agreed, there ought to be a spare. Every time I've had a flat is was catastrophic -- once so hard over a curbstone I dented the rim (my bad), another over a road hazard so when I put air in it I could hear it hissing out. Happened OTW work at 4AM so waiting for AAA would have meant I'd lose a day's pay. I just may get the spare kit, but I admit I like the extra storage space under the rear deck -- I've got most everything I own under there!
jjcom likes this.

Last edited by Jasmine; 12-22-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 25 Old 12-22-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRacer View Post
You can purchase a full size spare. I'm fine with the fix-a-flat. In 15 years of driving, I've only used my spare once and it was in worse condition than the "flat" tire

I worry about only having one full size spare. Thorn trees are common in my area, I've seen thorns go through tractor tires. Very possible to get more than one flat at a time. Not common on pavement though
At work (construction/industrial) there are often nails, random sharp pieces of metal and so on.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Subscribing Member

Garage
On the flip side of this coin, the additional storage space by lowering the floor becasue a spare is not there is a plus. This was definately helpful on vacation this year.
Lee Ekstrom likes this.

Ronald Wenger
post #7 of 25 Old 12-24-2018, 12:44 AM

This is actually quite common across all manufacturers. It isn't necessarily a cost reduction but a weight reduction / mileage improvement. Gets a better EPA mileage for those comparing cars and helps with overall corporate average fuel economy. Jeep will sell the spare separately to those that want it. What I don't like is the way Chevy did it in their cars - Cruze in particular. The base models have a different trunk and fuel tank that the compartment for the spare doesn't even exist.
Lee Ekstrom likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-24-2018, 04:20 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that if you use fix-a-flat, most places will no longer repair the tire.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-26-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
I thought the no spare tire/fix-o-flat on my Jeep Compass was strange, but we do enjoy the extra room under the rear deck - we use it on vacations and trips for soft items like blankets and pillows.

The best extra thing I bought from the dealer with the Jeep was the extra tire warranty. Two weeks after I bought my Compass, I somehow ran over 2 roofing nails and ruined my left front tire. A new tire would have cost $300.00, but with the warranty, there was no cost for the new tire. It was worth the extra money for the warranty.

I'm a Jeep girl:
2018 Jeep Compass
2014 Jeep Compass
2010 Jeep Patriot
2005 Jeep Liberty
2004 Jeep Liberty
Dad drove a Jeep in WWII - RIP PFC Lewis E. Kathriner 1919-1980
post #10 of 25 Old 12-29-2018, 01:04 PM

If you get the factory towing package it includes a spare tire on a steel rim which they call a "Non-matching Full Size Spare", this is what I have. It can be used longer than a compact limited use spare but it still doesn't seem all that great to me. My first preference is to attempt to remove the nail/object and put in a plug before resorting to the spare. Plug kits are cheap and really not all that hard to install but you must carry one AND a compressor of some sort, plus pliars and maybe even a valve stem tool... so its definitely not for everyone but for a single-nail flat its a very fast and easy option to try (much better than injecting any kind of fix-a-flat goo).

You never end up driving very far on a spare anyways, compact or not, so the only time a full-size spare is probably really "worth it" relative to the odds is when you are off-roading and in increased danger of puncturing a sidewall (unrepairable), or when you are going to be a long ways from home/help. For normal on-road driving, it is much more likely you will pick up a nail or screw in the face of the tread, something you can often pop a plug into and be back on your way (or, inject the can of slime so you hold air long enough to make it to a tire shop). Heck, in many cases I have seen the nail or screw is leaking so slowly you can leave it in place and just air up the tire to limp a few miles further to your home or a shop. No need to mess up the inside of the rim with slime or attempt a roadside plug if its leaking slowly and you are close to home.

This discussion makes me think there would seem to be a strong argument in favor of me rolling my "Non-Matching Full Size Spare" into a corner of the garage and enjoying the cavernous space beneath the cargo floor for all the other goodies I like to carry around (plug kit, combination compressor+jump starter pack, jumper cables, jack, tow strap, tools, first aid, etc). For me just driving 8 miles to work and back in my home area with dozens of friends and family around I could easily call on someone to pick me up and help me retrieve the spare if I really needed it. When going on a longer road trip, I could perhaps roof-mount the spare tire so its on-hand if I got in a bind a long ways from home. Would cost me a little MPG but if it was in one of those aerodynamic cargo boxes it would at least be similarly protected from the elements like it is in the cargo floor. Hmm, I'll have to think about that. Leaving home without anything less than the kitchen sink tends to pain my mind, but there is so much stuff crammed into my Jeep (especially with the winter gear)...
post #11 of 25 Old 12-29-2018, 02:57 PM

Garage
I carry a plug kit in mine, along with the factory compressor and "slime". Like you said, a plug kit will cover it in 90% of cases.

arudlang and Lee Ekstrom like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 25 Old 12-29-2018, 11:48 PM

Ok, here goes but this is what I think. Jeeps without spare tires is pure 🏇 ****. Manufacturers are taking away spares because more and more people lack the basic skills to change a tire. In fact the bottom line is the steering wheel is next. Governments across the world seek depend people helpless to survive without assistance. My advice teach your kids to change a tire and think for themselves. I carry an emergency kit and full size spare in my Jeep and I could give a rats ass if it hurts my gas mileage. Just the way I feel folks 😎
asakaze, arudlang, jjcom and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 25 Old 12-30-2018, 10:13 AM

Garage
They took out the spare to achieve mpg and cut cost, the spare tire kit is still an option when you buy a Jeep its just not standard anymore and lots of Mfgers are doing this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-AMS View Post
Ok, here goes but this is what I think. Jeeps without spare tires is pure 🏇 ****. Manufacturers are taking away spares because more and more people lack the basic skills to change a tire. In fact the bottom line is the steering wheel is next. Governments across the world seek depend people helpless to survive without assistance. My advice teach your kids to change a tire and think for themselves. I carry an emergency kit and full size spare in my Jeep and I could give a rats ass if it hurts my gas mileage. Just the way I feel folks 😎
arudlang likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-30-2018, 02:51 PM

Try to get the factory-installed spare tire kit

Just a bit of advice, if you are thinking of getting the spare tire for your new Compass, either go for the Trailhawk or a Latitude with the $ 245 option for the "Compact Spare" on the Window Sticker. My Jeep was not so equipped, so I ordered through my Jeep dealer in late June - the "2018 Jeep Compass - Spare Tire Kit - 82214638AB." And even with repeated calls to the dealer's Parts Department, and later dealing with Jeep Customer Assistance Center - I did not receive the spare tire kit until early December! (And it was around $ 300!) And I agree with the previous threads, the fix-a-flat and inflator are no substitute for a spare tire. (What if you get tire side-wall damage? Ever try rotating your own tires with no spare and no jack?) (In addition, my local tire shop indicates that the fix-a-flat "gunk" probably ruins the TPMS sensor, requiring replacement, so a $ 10 plug to fix a nail hole will now cost you $ 100.) In any event, I recommend going with a Compass equipped with the spare.

Bad move Jeep-FCA, eliminating the spare tire as standard!
post #15 of 25 Old 12-30-2018, 05:16 PM

Will a full size wheel fit in the spare location? I plan on swapping my wheels and will just put one of the factory wheels in there as a spare if it will fit.

Currently in garage/driveway

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1981 Chevy El Camino
1974 Pontiac Catalina
post #16 of 25 Old 12-30-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6door74 View Post
Will a full size wheel fit in the spare location? I plan on swapping my wheels and will just put one of the factory wheels in there as a spare if it will fit.
THs do have a non matching full sized spare, so it should fit.
post #17 of 25 Old 12-31-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayrider84
What if you get tire side-wall damage?
May be worth pointing out this is the least likely thing to happen to folks who don't leave the pavement.

Quote:
Ever try rotating your own tires with no spare and no jack?
Well if you don't have a jack and a couple jack stands odds are you are not the type of person to rotate your own tires anyways? I dunno, I never use the spare when I'm rotating. Doesn't seem any easier than putting one or more corners on a stand for a couple minutes.

Quote:
so a $ 10 plug to fix a nail hole will now cost you $ 100.
A plug is not the same as the slime. A plug is as simple as jacking up the corner with the flat, pull the nail out with some pliars, rasp the hole clean and then jam a plug with the rubber cement on it into the hole (the pea-sized drop of glue on the plug will not hurt your TPMS sensor). Air the tire back up and drive away. If all goes well it will hold air for life, no reason to go to the tire shop at all, and you don't have to wrastle the lug nuts off and even better you don't have to wonder if you put the lug nuts back on tight enough when you roll away on your spare. And its only about $4-6 for a plug kit, if you buy one at $10 you overpaid :P
post #18 of 25 Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 PM

Garage
Those cheap tire plug kits aren't meant as a permanent fix, they're meant to get you back on the road for a real tire patch. The only true tire plug/patch that lasts the life of the tire is done by removing the tire from the rim and plugging/patching the tire from the inside.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-31-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28 View Post
Those cheap tire plug kits aren't meant as a permanent fix, they're meant to get you back on the road for a real tire patch. The only true tire plug/patch that lasts the life of the tire is done by removing the tire from the rim and plugging/patching the tire from the inside.
Yes. Plug it, get to a tire shop and get a $20 patch. Works for me.

84z28 likes this.

post #20 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6door74 View Post
Will a full-size wheel fit in the spare location? I plan on swapping my wheels and will just put one of the factory wheels in there as a spare if it will fit.
I just got a flat last week. 4 am BS w/ no spare! Luckily the tow company had a heart and sent the wrecker right away (my wife and kid were in the car).

I now have a full-size spare in the back, scissor jack, and lug wrench... Now that I've done all that I'll never get another flat. Murphys Law

2018 Sport FWD
post #21 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Location: Region of Waterloo, Ontario - Home of the Blackberry & the Blue Box

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcom View Post
Come on, braille on the driver foot rest? .
Braille? LMFAO....................Mine is in "Morse Code"
post #22 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 09:24 PM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-64 View Post
Braille? LMFAO....................Mine is in "Morse Code"
Spells out Rocks, Rivers, Sand, Snow.
post #23 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Garage
Having a spare is nice, but I get roadside for life with my Mopar lifetime so meh. I would only want a full-size spare, guess trailhawk has this maybe... If not I could care less. I would be the only one to change a spare anyways my wife wouldn't do it :/

Discount tire has plagued my leaks for years with no problem with tires till I had to get new ones. I buy hazard protection on all my tires anyway because it is worth it and I have used it many times over. Not to fix blowouts but all slow leaks that were on the side wall and were not pluggable. I don't care what any tire shop says plugging the tire is fine it isn't going to last years but for how long I keep tires for on my car in a snow area it is fine.

K

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #24 of 25 Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinacop View Post
I just got a flat last week. 4 am BS w/ no spare! Luckily the tow company had a heart and sent the wrecker right away (my wife and kid were in the car).

I now have a full-size spare in the back, scissor jack, and lug wrench... Now that I've done all that I'll never get another flat. Murphys Law
This! That free roadside means nothing if you still can't get to your destination or even a safer location! Especially for a simple flat tire. I'd rather have roadside change my wife's flat and she can be on her way.

My fuel pump module went out on my Flex. I couldn't start my car around 2am to go home. Called my free ford roadside for a tow. Called back around 5am only to find out that the company they were sending me didn't open till 7am! Thanks to an internet forum and some random tools in my car, i was able to access the the module (a known problem) give it a love tap, and she started right up. Drove to the dealer on my way home, paid $65 for the module, and changed it in my driveway in 15 minutes. The free roadside was worthless that night.

I have 22" aftermarket wheels on my flex. When we've gone on long trips, i pack a factory 19" wheel and the spare in it's compartment.

Currently in garage/driveway

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1981 Chevy El Camino
1974 Pontiac Catalina
post #25 of 25 Old 01-04-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z28
I dunno, I've driven so many thousands of miles on "cheap tire plug kits" they seem pretty permanent to me. But they don't always work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in