Water Soaked Floorboard - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 12-23-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Water Soaked Floorboard

Hey, so I have had my compass for 3 months now Its a 2018 Compass Altitude its got 5500 miles on it, and its been in the shop 5 times now for a leak that occurred on the driver side floorboard and in the back seat, my guess is it was wet and leaking since it was put on the lot in June. I never thought to check the floorboards for leaks on a brand new vehicle but I should have. So it has went in and got "fixed" once. and then gone back several times because the dealership was too stupid to replace the wet padding they just half ass dried it off. so last night I get in the car and inside the windshield is fogged up like 2 people been making out in my car for 6 hours non stop. So I get curious and check the floorboard and its soaked so much that if I push quickly on it i can make water splash up. The majority of the leak is right infront of the seat rails on the left side im guessing that is where the water is pooling up. I checked the rest of the vehicle and i noticed under my rubber floor mats on the passenger side rear floor there is condensation underneath them as well and the floor has a cold damp feeling but very minor. the passenger front seems totally fine the floor is dry and no condensation under the mats. To make matters worse this dealership basically destroyed all the structure of my floor when they pulled up the rear floor and I can now put my fingers under the trim in the rear seat . Has anyone else had this issue with their compass leaking? this is the second time and if it leaks again I am going to try pursuing the Delaware Lemon law . Does anyone have any suggestions or comments or experience with this issue? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-26-2018, 01:27 PM

Sure, lots of experience - back in the '70s when practically all sunroofs leaked. Used to be a rule of car shopping that you would take it through an automatic car wash before buying. Man I am old.

Take pictures, make notes - who did you talk to at the dealership and when. Ask for an appointment with the service manager after any failed repair. Not a phone call, a sit down to review the status of the issue, and bring your notes and pics. You paid a lot of money, you should have a vehicle that at least keeps the rain out.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-01-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner99 View Post
Sure, lots of experience - back in the '70s when practically all sunroofs leaked. Used to be a rule of car shopping that you would take it through an automatic car wash before buying. Man I am old.

Take pictures, make notes - who did you talk to at the dealership and when. Ask for an appointment with the service manager after any failed repair. Not a phone call, a sit down to review the status of the issue, and bring your notes and pics. You paid a lot of money, you should have a vehicle that at least keeps the rain out.
Well today I dropped by the dealership unannounced to just check on my compass to see what they had actually done to it . Well they told me that they didnt find a leak (even though the carpet was soaked and I sent pics with Ice under the floormats) . So the service writer said that they were going to let it sit outside and see what it looked like after the rain and they were gonna take all the interior out and have it sitting there empty with only a bucket so that when the leak people show up they can get a good look at it. My issue with this is, I was told that was what they were going to do friday when it was taken it. Its been in there 3 times now for this job. How hard is it for people to get a vehicle bought back. I can imagine if the dealership is buying it back and losing a sale it is probably alot harder then if you are just gonna get another vehicle off their lot. Has anyone had to do that ? Do you always have to go through the song and dance of the lemon law or will dealerships work with you if you state a professional case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-01-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKunch View Post
I can imagine if the dealership is buying it back and losing a sale it is probably alot harder then if you are just gonna get another vehicle off their lot. Has anyone had to do that ? Do you always have to go through the song and dance of the lemon law or will dealerships work with you if you state a professional case?
Either hire a lemon law attorney or take them to arbitration. The latter never works as I did the same thing and was denied. Only other recourse is to try another dealership.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKunch View Post
Well today I dropped by the dealership unannounced to just check on my compass to see what they had actually done to it . Well they told me that they didnt find a leak (even though the carpet was soaked and I sent pics with Ice under the floormats) . So the service writer said that they were going to let it sit outside and see what it looked like after the rain and they were gonna take all the interior out and have it sitting there empty with only a bucket so that when the leak people show up they can get a good look at it. My issue with this is, I was told that was what they were going to do friday when it was taken it. Its been in there 3 times now for this job. How hard is it for people to get a vehicle bought back. I can imagine if the dealership is buying it back and losing a sale it is probably alot harder then if you are just gonna get another vehicle off their lot. Has anyone had to do that ? Do you always have to go through the song and dance of the lemon law or will dealerships work with you if you state a professional case?
Ha! 'park it outside and wait for rain', 'Cause no one has invented the garden hose yet? Then they will say they have to park it outside to wait for a warm and sunny day to dry it out. And I would highly doubt they would ever take the whole interior out, that's a lot of work and unnecessary - more BS. Man I bet they laughed their asses off after you left.

Dealerships don't care about the 'lemon laws' I believe. That's something the manufacturer dislikes, but it solves the problem for the dealer. When you talk to the dealer, you talk about what the dealer does or fails to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in