Ess - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdram4x4

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 01-10-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Ess

Anyone have issues with the ESS not working, always posting battery charging and the battery voltage/charging always reading 14.7 to 14.9? The Jeep starts fine. I hate going to the dealer it's always an all day adventure and they never have loaner cars. Thank god this is a lease, lately this car has become a headache. Things work one day and not the next and then work again, crazy.

Last edited by Johnadam; 01-10-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Garage
couldbe a bad secondary battery
head to the dealer
Johnadam likes this.

2018 Compass Latitude
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM

The dash will not show you the voltage of the auxiliary battery that ESS uses, only the voltage of the main battery. Even if it did, you don't seem to understand that you would have to check it with the engine OFF, because when the engine is running, the batteries are charging (and will always show 14.x volts). You can't read actual battery voltage with the engine running.

They use super cheap, bargain bin batteries that are marginal when they are brand new and then die a slow death sitting on the lots not been driven. You need to either convince the dealer to install a new battery, or go to a shop and pay out of pocket to have a decent auxiliary battery installed (and probably a decent main battery too) or this will just be a continuous issue for you like it is for me. (Both my batteries are still original, both are still weak and give me occasional issues because the voltage is too low, but over a year later I am still too busy to be bothered to address it. Still starts and drives, so whatever.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 02:59 PM

Garage
im not sure on the super cheap batteries. the batteries that have come with my cars have all lasted 5-7 years. longer than most aftermarket ones (3-6 years)

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2019, 12:20 PM

I've had this same issue recently with my 2017. They stress tested the aux battery and said it failed and replaced it under warranty. It worked for a couple times, and now I still have the issue. Will bring it up next time I'm in for an oil change and see.
No issues my first year like this, so it does seem like a battery wear issue. Faulty new battery or maybe my main also needs replacing?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2019, 04:49 PM

I don't know if anything changes in the charging behavior to the aux battery when it comes to those of us who religiously turn off ESS when we start the car. If the aux battery is being denied charge current when ESS is disabled by user then our habit could be having some detrimental effect on the life of the aux battery. A person would have to hook up a multimeter and do some (careful) testing to see if there is anything to this hunch, though.

But as far as gathering group-sourced data for clues goes, we should probably specify whether we are ESS-kill people or not and perhaps we would find the people who do not ever turn off ESS also don't seem to have any issues with their aux battery. And maybe not, have to collect the data to get those kinds of clues.

I am very much a kill-the-ESS person. Every time. Every drive. I always turn it off.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

So I brought it into my dealer, They changed the auxiliary battery and said it also needs a battery sensor ( ordered). They said other then the ess not working everything will be fine. Not a mile down the road both the warnings lights came on start stop, and check engine. Let the games begin! Called them they said the check engine will be cleared when you return to have the sensor installed, don't worry,lol

Guess the check engine light is not important since I was told to drive around with it till an ordered part comes in.

Last edited by Johnadam; 01-16-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 11:19 PM

My ESS issue fixed itself after I brought my Jeep in for the recall on the brake system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in