Jeep MP Mod Idea - Jeep Compass Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Jeep MP Mod Idea

Hello Everyone,
So I have the 2019 Trailhawk and I am pretty happy with it. In the spirit of all things Jeep, one of the appeals is the ability to cusomize and make it your own. Appreciating it's not a Wrangler, I understand the availability of parts is limited, but surely there are more things out there than my "Don't Tread on Me" sticker and Subdued American Flags (which look freeking great under the Compass logo on doors FYI.)

Context: the Renegade has a lot more options than the Compass.

Question: What elements of the Renegade also fit the Compass? I am not talking about the obvious, meaning light bulbs, rims, etc. I am more focused on fun stuff.

Here is what I have so far:
1. 4" Suspension lift from ATP. This is significant in that it says to me that ALL lifts, spring or spacer, should be the same. I have gone through the headache of watching the videos and aside from a few do's and don'ts regarding instillation they are the same.

2. Cool skid plates and some pretty bad a$$ light brackets... from Valkarie
the fact that skids are the same furthers the assessment that the suspension/ frame is the same.

So in everyone's search for cool bumpers, me included, if the suspension and frame are the same, as evident by interchangeable skids and lift's, the I wonder if a renegade bumper would work on a Compass?

Let me know what you guys think or if you have found anything cool.

Have a great weekend!

-George in Tucson
bluestar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Also, just for general knowledge, are all Compass MP parts interchangeable, meaning 2017 to 2019? Obviously sub-model differences apply, but things like roof racks, etc.?

-G
post #3 of 17 Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 PM

I'm about to order some wheel spacers which are for 14-19 Cherokee and 15-18 Renegade. I would think they will work for a 18 Compass but the site filters that particular spacer out.

Currently in garage/driveway

2018 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2014 Ford Flex Limited
2006 Ford E350 XLT V10
1991 Nissan D21
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo
1981 Chevy El Camino
1974 Pontiac Catalina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
the suspension/ frame is the same.
Very close to the same, at least, but I think the wheelbase on the Compass is an inch or two longer. I would not expect a blanket statement such as "all Renegade parts will fit MP Compasses" to be true but I think it would be safe to say most of them will be at least very very close to exact fit and maybe only require minimal modifications here and there to work. ie, a skid plate might not have the holes in exactly the right spot but maybe you can drill two new holes in the plate and make it work, kinda thing.

People with disposable income and a decent supply of tools at home can explore that and share their findings, those without can wait around for the manufactures to do test fittings and make official statements of fitment.
dawm likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-13-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Agree

Yup, I think you're spot on.

I am pretty close to ordering the American Trail Products 4" lift kit. That will be the first time I really get into the nuts and bolts of the machine, more to follow. I'll post some stuff as I move along, probably a month out....
arudlang likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-14-2019, 06:57 AM

Bumpers are a no go, mounting and frames are completely different.

In regards to length, the Compass resonator pipe is exactly 1.58" longer than renegade but everything after the resonator pipe is the same, which is why the renegade catback kits fit with little to no effort (I was the first to install the magnaflow renegade catback on the MP after much research and $570~ on an educated hunch).
Body length is larger mainly due to bumper design but technically the compass is really just barely longer than the renegade once you get down to the components in between the skin.

There are still many many differences that people would assume were the same, such has the exhaust manifold being different (bends). A lift kit works (shared suspension design) but renegade struts/springs will not. You can't assume something works without comparing things side by side or with trial and error.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
post #7 of 17 Old 01-14-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Also, just for general knowledge, are all Compass MP parts interchangeable, meaning 2017 to 2019? Obviously sub-model differences apply, but things like roof racks, etc.?

-G
Yes, same body/frame.

post #8 of 17 Old 01-14-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6door74 View Post
I'm about to order some wheel spacers which are for 14-19 Cherokee and 15-18 Renegade. I would think they will work for a 18 Compass but the site filters that particular spacer out.
Bolt pattern and hub bore are what you need to look at, they all share the same specifications.
5x110 and 65.1mm bore.

arudlang likes this.

post #9 of 17 Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 PM

What is the difference in height from the ground between the Trailhawk and all the other Compass models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 17 Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello Everyone,
So I have the 2019 Trailhawk and I am pretty happy with it. In the spirit of all things Jeep, one of the appeals is the ability to cusomize and make it your own. Appreciating it's not a Wrangler, I understand the availability of parts is limited, but surely there are more things out there than my "Don't Tread on Me" sticker and Subdued American Flags (which look freeking great under the Compass logo on doors FYI.)

Context: the Renegade has a lot more options than the Compass.

Question: What elements of the Renegade also fit the Compass? I am not talking about the obvious, meaning light bulbs, rims, etc. I am more focused on fun stuff.

Here is what I have so far:
1. 4" Suspension lift from ATP. This is significant in that it says to me that ALL lifts, spring or spacer, should be the same. I have gone through the headache of watching the videos and aside from a few do's and don'ts regarding instillation they are the same.

2. Cool skid plates and some pretty bad a$$ light brackets... from Valkarie
the fact that skids are the same furthers the assessment that the suspension/ frame is the same.

So in everyone's search for cool bumpers, me included, if the suspension and frame are the same, as evident by interchangeable skids and lift's, the I wonder if a renegade bumper would work on a Compass?

Let me know what you guys think or if you have found anything cool.

Have a great weekend!

-George in Tucson
I would love to see a Compass with a 4 inch lift!

2018 JEEP COMPASS TRAILHAWK. KAR light bar with Cree lights, K&N drop in filter, Pirelli Scorpion AT's, Window Tint 20%, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-18-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

The compass has 7.5" clearance. The TH has 8.5"
post #12 of 17 Old 01-18-2019, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

So I have ordered the Rocky Road 1 3/4 lift. There is no gain in tire clearance with the 4 over this one and the additional strain on components and alignment issues lead me the the smaller.

The reason there is no gain in clearance is due to the shape of wheel well, and thing bigger than 29.5 or maybe 30 would require a 15 inch lift so the tires literally are completely below the openings!

More to follow with pictures if it gets in this weekend. I'm excited!
post #13 of 17 Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I increased the tire pressure in my 19 Compass TH to 42.5 PSI and have some measureable data that may be of interest.

First, with this tire pressure, I did the "highly technical" test where you wet the tires and drive on the driveway to make sure they are not overy inflated/ tire surface contact. It is good to go. The tires are rated to 45 PSI max.

Second, When the tires heat up, meaning after multiple 60+ mile trips, the max they have expanded to is 44 PSI, within the tolerances.

Numbers: I have increased an average of .4 MPG over the measured 3 tanks of fuel. Being as the TH has a 13.5 gallon tank, that adds up to 5.4 gallons. At $2.25 dollars a gallon, 5.4 gallons of fuel EVERY TANK adds up to $12.15.

Impact: An 18 Pack of Coors Light at Walmart is $14.49. The difference in the price per tank and an 18 pack of the worlds finest beer is $2.34. That means everytime you fill up you get a 18 rack for $2.34.

This is science people. SCIENCE!
post #14 of 17 Old 01-20-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
What is the difference in height from the ground between the Trailhawk and all the other Compass models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The compass has 7.5" clearance. The TH has 8.5"
post #15 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 AM

Garage
I am actually curious about the same thing. I had a close up discussion with a deer on Thursday and I am stuck with a blown up Trailhawk. That said...since I am going to get some insurance $ and have to tear the sucker apart, what do you all recommend for some mods? I am really having issues trying to find bumpers and cool stuff. The original question asks about being similar to the Renegade, but wouldn't the frame be the same as the Cherokee? Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compass-deer3.jpg (108.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Compass-deer2.jpg (131.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Compass-deer1.jpg (96.2 KB, 20 views)

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk - Black

Last edited by fjroman2; 01-21-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroman2 View Post
I am actually curious about the same thing. I had a close up discussion with a deer on Thursday and I am stuck with a blown up Trailhawk. That said...since I am going to get some insurance $ and have to tear the sucker apart, what do you all recommend for some mods? I am really having issues trying to find bumpers and cool stuff. The original question asks about being similar to the Renegade, but wouldn't the frame be the same as the Cherokee? Any help would be appreciated.
That stinks about the deer. You have to pick a direction with your compass.... off road, luxury additions, teched- out, etc.

I have not had a lot of luck aside from the little Rocky Road Outfitters lift (still hasn't been delivered despite paying for 3 day) and potentially some beefier skid plates...

You know what I would do, I would take the additional $ and stuff it in the mattress and pray every night that someone starts making better aftermod parts for the MP.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Garage
haha...yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. I have the Trailhawk so I am leaning off-road looking, but still comfort inside. Personally I was hoping for a strong looking bumper (since I need a new bumper anyway) and potentially a lift kit. I like the rock sliders, but I cannot really tell which ones I would like. I see the Rocky Road stuff...what did you order?

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk - Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in