upgrading from 5" screen to apple carplay head unit? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

upgrading from 5" screen to apple carplay head unit?

I have a 2018 Jeep Compass with just the base 5" screen, and wish I had the optional 7" screen with Apple Carplay. Is it possible to have the dealer upgrade to the 7" screen with Carplay, or would I need to get an aftermarket unit? Anyone replace their 5" screen with a factory or aftermarket Carplay unit and how did you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-22-2019, 12:50 AM

Garage
I've got the 7" in my car from the factory. I test drove one with the 5" and wasn't a fan. The 7" is a good middle ground. I had the 8.4" in my last vehicle and it was nice, but I think it would look out of place in the compass. I like the 7", just wish it wasn't as much work to go from Android auto to satellite radio.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #3 of 20 Old 01-22-2019, 05:13 AM

Cheaper route would be aftermarket. The factory headunit, even the base unit is around $1000 plus dealer labor and necessary parts. Aftermarket is your best option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk (GCM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-22-2019, 12:23 PM

Garage
aftermarket would hamper the system
steering wheel control, other settings that affect things

2018 Compass Latitude
post #5 of 20 Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Check out our thread regarding alfaobd. I was able to upgrade from 7" to 8.4".
post #6 of 20 Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRacer View Post
I've got the 7" in my car from the factory. I test drove one with the 5" and wasn't a fan. The 7" is a good middle ground. I had the 8.4" in my last vehicle and it was nice, but I think it would look out of place in the compass. I like the 7", just wish it wasn't as much work to go from Android auto to satellite radio.

8.4" screen doesn't look out of place at all in a Compass. If anything I wish it was larger.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-23-2019, 12:42 PM

A big win for the 8.4 is when using Android Auto. The bottom bar for controls is still present. you don't have to go in and out of the interface just to turn on/off a heated seat for example.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4cr2k View Post
A big win for the 8.4 is when using Android Auto. The bottom bar for controls is still present. you don't have to go in and out of the interface just to turn on/off a heated seat for example.
That is a big win, and is my biggest gripe with my 7" system. Maybe I'll look into getting the 8.4" then, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #9 of 20 Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is going from 5" to 7" or 8.4" something the dealership could do if the Compass only came with a 5" as standard equipment? Or is the only option an aftermarket unit that has Apple carplay but as a poster said might not have the functionality of the original unit?
post #10 of 20 Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Check out our thread regarding alfaobd. I was able to upgrade from 7" to 8.4".
1st off can you link the thread. please?

2nd off can this be done from a 5in?

3nd off can I buy you 7in if that is so?

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #11 of 20 Old 01-24-2019, 12:57 PM

1. https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...-software.html

2. infotainment.com offers it for the 18+ wrangler, so it should work on the compass. But you will loose your physical volume knob. You will only be able to use the steering wheel controls.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToClhD4VmHw

3. You can actually get the 7" online P/N 68292819AJ. It's the 8.4 that's hard to come by.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 AM

I have a 5" and have been debating this point for a while.

The costs for the 7" plus bezel isn't insignificant (probably 1k all in for the parts plus the flash). The 8.4 is much more expensive than the 7".... And I don't have the heated seats to benefit from the functionality.

The 2019 has the 7" standard. I am thinking of just keeping my 2018 as is and opportunistically upgrade when it makes sense. Factor in rolling back the mileage and warranty timing, all help reducing the financial bite of it. When a 2019 is cheap enough, might be worth a swap.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-03-2019, 03:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
1. https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...-software.html

2. infotainment.com offers it for the 18+ wrangler, so it should work on the compass. But you will lose your physical volume knob. You will only be able to use the steering wheel controls.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToClhD4VmHw

3. You can actually get the 7" online P/N 68292819AJ. It's the 8.4 that's hard to come by.
Thanks for this!

"Wannabe Blacked Out - Oscar" - 2017 Jeep Compass 2nd gen body "Latitude 4x4"
"The Black Castle - Cassie" - 2014 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4x4 (Wife's Castle) Slight mods with lighting and head and tail lights
post #14 of 20 Old 02-04-2019, 04:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
Factor in rolling back the mileage

you know thats illegal right?

2018 Compass Latitude
post #15 of 20 Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Garage
I went from a 5" to 7" in my compass. I found a 7 inch screen from a salvaged car. Just make sure you get the unlock code or at least the VIN of the Donor Car because it will ask for it if you use a salvaged unit. Definitely worth the upgrade though. Kind of wish I had the 8.4 just because CarPlay is tiny on the 7inch screen. Also, if you go from the 5 to 7 you will lose the physical radio controls. But you still can change the volume with the steering wheel. Just whatever you do, do not go aftermarket. The car will throw CE codes.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-06-2019, 11:19 PM

Hi everyone, new member here. I am seriously considering the 8.4" uconnect upgrade for my model year 2017.5 compass using the product from infotainment.com but I've called a few jeep dealerships and they are all refusing to add the Sales Codes and do the PROXI Configuration. Are there any alternatives available to me?

thanks!
post #17 of 20 Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesam View Post
Hi everyone, new member here. I am seriously considering the 8.4" uconnect upgrade for my model year 2017.5 compass using the product from infotainment.com but I've called a few jeep dealerships and they are all refusing to add the Sales Codes and do the PROXI Configuration. Are there any alternatives available to me?

thanks!
check with infotainment.com, see if they can help

2018 Compass Latitude
post #18 of 20 Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesam View Post

thanks!
If you use the alfaobd software, an OBDlink MX, and get the blue pin assignment cable you should be able to do it. We have a thread about it. Would be nice to get some more testers.
https://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums...-software.html
post #19 of 20 Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 PM

thanks, guys. i chatted with the infotainment.com guy and it seems like the only option is to somehow convince a jeep dealer to do this. i guess i'm out of luck. the alfaobd stuff seems like a huge issue. however, there is a video on the infotainment site about doing the proxi reset on your own. any other ideas of how to go about doing this?
post #20 of 20 Old 02-10-2019, 04:57 PM

I learned this the last time I bought a car- get the best infotainment option available and you wont have to worry about it later on. it's truly not worth the cost and hassle, especially now that these electronic systems is tied to many other functions.

they had 2 identical altitude models on the lot- one w sunroof and the 5 inch screen i think (looks tiny and has a kinda ridiculous bezel) and one without sunroof but the 8.4 inch screen. suffice to say I dont have a sunroof.

Last edited by Raymond_Si; 02-10-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in