36k - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

vroom vroom. was this time last year that I think I first test drove the compass I own now.

'18 Compass 4x4 Sport 6-speed manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-23-2019, 02:15 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I guess you're still happy with it? No oil issues? No electronic glitches? Gotta hope it stays that way.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-23-2019, 05:42 PM

Nice milestone...what color is yours? I will give you a wave if I happen to see you on the road...I am on 145 a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 PM

Garage
Congrats. I haven't had mechanical issue so far. But as far as electronics, I think my Compass is still running under Microsoft Vista. I'm expecting for it to say "Unable to process brake command, CANCEL, RETRY OR IGNORE"
post #5 of 15 Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCav View Post
Nice milestone...what color is yours? I will give you a wave if I happen to see you on the road...I am on 145 a lot.
145 between Colebrook and Pittsburg? Mine is dark blue. How 'bout yours? Truth is, if the weather is iffy I stick to US3. Its only a little further and a little less exciting.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
145 between Colebrook and Pittsburg? Mine is dark blue. How 'bout yours? Truth is, if the weather is iffy I stick to US3. Its only a little further and a little less exciting.
Nah, its 145 that runs from Lehighton up through Allentown..
post #7 of 15 Old 01-25-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Nah, its 145 that runs from Lehighton up through Allentown..
Darn! Thought there was someone else local on the site. I'm near the "other" Pittsburg, the one without the h (New Hampshire).

Last edited by Jasmine; 01-28-2019 at 12:37 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 PM

I am going on 6 months with my recently purchased 2014 Compass. No major issues (thank the Good LORD). It used a tiny bit of oil between changes. I use Mobil 1 only and the best oil filter I can buy. I will say this is my wife's vehicle and she has put 11000 miles on it in 6 months! Oh well, at least it is safe.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-28-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermech View Post
I am going on 6 months with my recently purchased 2014 Compass. No major issues (thank the Good LORD). It used a tiny bit of oil between changes. I use Mobil 1 only and the best oil filter I can buy. I will say this is my wife's vehicle and she has put 11000 miles on it in 6 months! Oh well, at least it is safe.
If its a 2014 you have the 1st generation Compass with the 2.4 World Engine. That doesn't use oil the way the 2nd generation does.

My old Patriot with the 2.4 didn't need any oil between changes till it was well past 250,000 miles. At that point I was maybe using a quart between changes, so between 250,000 and 285,000 (when I sold it) I might have added 8 quarts.

At 24,000 miles my 2018 Compass needs about a quart to get to its next oil change and that's an improvement -- up till 20,000 it was taking 2 quarts between changes and it was down a quart at change time so in reality it was using three quarts. I just didn't bother to replace that third quart. I'm guessing I've added 8 quarts since new.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-29-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
grey

post #11 of 15 Old 01-31-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I guess you're still happy with it? No oil issues? No electronic glitches? Gotta hope it stays that way.
yah i'm still happy with it. I have to be it's only a year old and it's my daily driver.

to answer your questions
- about a quart per 1500-2000 mi.
- no indication on all the dials and gizmos of real time oil amount/pressure, just unitless temperature
- THIS P.O.S. INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM IS THE WORST RADIO I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE

- laggy back-up camera. It's not a glitch, it's because when I turn on the jeep and I buckle up and am ready to reverse the UCONNECT system is still going through the "loading"B.S. and it will flash back and forth between the camera and a long paragraph of text about how you're not supposed to be distracted while driving and it doesn't show what's behind me. Then it will freeze-frame here so even if there is a car it just appears in there like a ghost (I don't even pay attention to it anymore cause it takes 4 more seconds that I do to back up).

- When it's not lagging the back camera is always covered in mud/salt/water/dew/dust it is worthless and I have to clean it off every day or it is just a cloudy blur (dear god I do not want cars to be driving themselves if this is what happens to its "eye")

- laggy Uconnect system (- touch screen not very sensitive to my man-hands). I have several times where I touch buttons or even turn the volume knob and there is a clear 2-3 second delay.
- even with the brightness all the way down and the "screen off" I can still see it. ON long trips at night it pisses me off.
- Still cannot get the back doors to unlock when we stop unless there is some god-mode cheat code combination where I turn off the car or something before I open the door but mere seconds after I put it into Reverse and come off the clutch without stalling. WHATEVER IT IS IT'S STUPID AND MY KIDS HATE YOU JEEP.
- The center console is a wobbly piece of junk and I feel that it will not last the life of the car.
- still makes the grumble in the rear diff. but it happens at 45-50 MPH now.
-winter mpg (roof rack and snow tires and really cold in PA) 23 MPG, so no where near the "31" or whatever when I was looking at it.

and for those of you wondering, no i'm not going to bring this into a dealership these issues. i do not trust dealerships and they utterly destroy cars you bring in for service. If you ever wonder "how come I always get lemons, I have one small issue, bring it into the dealer and after that it's a cascade downhill and everything breaks". The dealers ARE the lemon.

post #12 of 15 Old 01-31-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninpa View Post
- When it's not lagging the back camera is always covered in mud/salt/water/dew/dust it is worthless and I have to clean it off every day or it is just a cloudy blur (dear god I do not want cars to be driving themselves if this is what happens to its "eye")
Anywhere they use salt in winter (1/2 the country) that camera is going to get covered with it. Don't know what else they could do with it, the camera's got to be in the back. The reason for the camera is that with all the "safety" devices (rear head restraints) its virtually impossible to see out the back window. From driving trucks I've learned to back up using my side mirrors so the camera is pretty useless.

Quote:
-winter mpg (roof rack and snow tires and really cold in PA) 23 MPG, so no where near the "31" or whatever when I was looking at it.
After putting on my snow tires my average MPG has dropped about 2.5 MPG. Part of that is probably due to the winter blend fuel that gas stations carry this time of year. Of course we start the car and warm it up before we go anywhere so there's 5 minutes of idling added to every cold start.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-31-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Anywhere they use salt in winter (1/2 the country) that camera is going to get covered with it. Don't know what else they could do with it, the camera's got to be in the back. The reason for the camera is that with all the "safety" devices (rear head restraints) its virtually impossible to see out the back window. From driving trucks I've learned to back up using my side mirrors so the camera is pretty useless.
Yeah that is why the front facing (which is behind the rear-view mirror) camera are within the cleaning range of front wipers. They could have put the rear camera on the back window so it can be cleaned with the rear wiper, but the viewing angle would be a bit strange since it is that high up. Most self driving cars have cameras like that and the actual distance and safery measures are made by the radars, not the cameras. Cameras just read the sings and lines, etc. Even on compass, the fornt facing radar is not effected by how much mud or salt is on it. The only time I had to clean mine was after it had an icicle just in fornt of it and I got a notification like "radar obscured" and "forward sensing and breaking system off" on the dash.

Quote:
After putting on my snow tires my average MPG has dropped about 2.5 MPG. Part of that is probably due to the winter blend fuel that gas stations carry this time of year. Of course we start the car and warm it up before we go anywhere so there's 5 minutes of idling added to every cold start.
Yeah and the car will be running on rich mixture for much longer since it takes longer for the engine to reach optimal temperature. On top of all these, it is also due to higher air density. Cold air has much higher density and therefore cause much more drag. On highway speeds, it is a significant enough difference to greatly reduce MPG.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-04-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Yeah that is why the front facing (which is behind the rear-view mirror) camera are within the cleaning range of front wipers. They could have put the rear camera on the back window so it can be cleaned with the rear wiper, but the viewing angle would be a bit strange since it is that high up. Most self driving cars have cameras like that and the actual distance and safery measures are made by the radars, not the cameras. Cameras just read the sings and lines, etc. Even on compass, the fornt facing radar is not effected by how much mud or salt is on it. The only time I had to clean mine was after it had an icicle just in fornt of it and I got a notification like "radar obscured" and "forward sensing and breaking system off" on the dash.
I'm not buying it. New subarus that have the windshield thing with the sensors there cost a lot of money to replace, if you get a ding from a rock and don't have comprehensive.

I don't trust that these systems will last as well as the cars they put them in. Automation is only good if properly maintained constantly. Most people do not do this with vehicles.

It's only a matter of time before these systems start killing people left and right and recalls go out.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not buying it. New subarus that have the windshield thing with the sensors there cost a lot of money to replace, if you get a ding from a rock and don't have comprehensive.

I don't trust that these systems will last as well as the cars they put them in. Automation is only good if properly maintained constantly. Most people do not do this with vehicles.

It's only a matter of time before these systems start killing people left and right and recalls go out.
How can a sensor that is inside the windshield is broken by a rock? If you are talking about the radar under the grill, that would be poor manufacturing because I have never heard of that happening to any other unit from other car makers.

And yeah there are also a lot of accident because people do not properly maintain their cars. Its not about automation, it bad regulations. And its something unique to US that you dont have to properly maintain your car except for the headlights and etc. In Europe or Japan, a car older than a certain age needs to go to a government managed "checkup" station something like every 2 years (every year if you failed last year) where they check the car to see if it is safe to be on road. This includes everything like breaking performance, steering, engine, emissions, sensor, headlights etc. If you fail, you have to fix it in 1 month or so, or your registration is canceled until you fix the car. Its so strange that here in US, we use cars as the primary transportation option, yet we also have one of the weakest regulations on how cars should be maintained. Unless the vehicle is commercial (which have very strict regulations), you can basically drive any car on any road, as long as the tail and headlights are working. According to NHTSA an average of 45000 accidents per year are caused by a vehicle malfunction, the number is probably higher if you include cases like under performing breaks and etc, where there isnt a malfunction but just sub-par performance. 45k probably only accounts for very obvious cases.

I mean these sensor probably save a lot more lives then they cost. Tesla's autopilot cars had 1 accident per 3.34 million miles whereas NHTSA average for accidents 1 accident 492,000 miles. So a self driven car is a lot safer.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...safety-report/

Last edited by Tripod; 02-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in