Compass front wheel drive only - does it make any sense? - Jeep Compass Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By RadRacer
  • 2 Post By zoner99

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Compass front wheel drive only - does it make any sense?

Question I think about...

Compass with front wheel drive only... does it make any sense if you're not planning offroad expedition?

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 PM

Garage
If you have no need for 4x4, then FWD makes perfect sense. You get better traction than RWD and usually better MPG. Seems most manufacturers are going to FWD over RWD, because it's easier to design and cheaper to build. If you have no need for 4x4, then why carry the extra weight, not to mention the extra wear and tear and maintenance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jasmine likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #3 of 11 Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 PM

Garage
The basics are always what you can reasonably afford, what your actual needs are, how long you plan to keep the vehicle, then make the best choice from there. However there is value also in having a vehicle that you actually like ie not just a transportation appliance.
I personally think that the current craze of putting all wheel drive in everything is like tailfins were in the '50s and '60s, they don't do anything but people want them. But if you live or travel in areas with severe winters, or occasionally venture down back roads and trails, then four wheel drive can be really nice to have.
Jasmine and jjcom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-28-2019, 01:35 AM

Location: Two locations in NH: One near Concord, the other at the 45th.

I agree with Zoner99 and RadRacer. FWD is enough. Heck, your grandparents drove in winter weather with RWD vehicles, you should be fine. Just because the forecast is for umpteen inches of snow doesn't mean you'll ever drive in that much. If your road agent is at all competent the snow isn't going to build up more than a few inches before a plow makes a pass.

I had a FWD Patriot and with dedicated snow tires it got me anywhere I needed to go in the snow through ten New England winters.

Get good winter tires and don't be fooled: all season tires are three season tires. Even with my 4wd Compass I use dedicated snow tires.

Last edited by Jasmine; 01-28-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I'm familiar with fwd, rwd, 4x4...

I asked for comments of Compass fwd because it would be a typicall daily car with long journeys few times per year.
I'm curious if Compass with front wheel drive only is "a good car" or maybe if 4x4 is not needed, I should look for other manufacturers, models...?

Ps. For offroad use, I have... lets say "dedicated car"
post #6 of 11 Old 01-28-2019, 11:57 AM

If you're just looking for a car, the Compass should be fine. Frankly I was shopping for a car when I bought my Compass but they aren't making the Avenger anymore and the Charger is a bit pricey. Since I take on some serious winter weather I wanted something more capable than average so I got the AWD Compass. For me its a daily driver that won't get stuck in the snow.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-28-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
This is my first 4x4 vehicle, and the only reason why I went with 4x4 is because I nearly got stuck a few times with my last vehicle. It never happened, but I wanted the extra peace of mind. All my previous vehicles have been 2wd, and the majority fwd.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Jeep Compass Lattitude - Billet Silver, 4x4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel - GONE
post #8 of 11 Old 01-28-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRacer View Post
. . . I nearly got stuck a few times with my last vehicle. It never happened . . .
See! Ya proved ya could do it!
post #9 of 11 Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 AM

I drove by a FWD Chevy cruise stuck in 6 inches of snow going up a 6% grade near my house as it if was summer. AWD/4WD may not be "necessary", but when nature throws a major winter storm at you, then it's nice to have it.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-29-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I drove by a FWD Chevy cruise stuck in 6 inches of snow going up a 6% grade near my house as it if was summer. AWD/4WD may not be "necessary", but when nature throws a major winter storm at you, then it's nice to have it.
I've done that with my FWD Patriot. Bet the Chevy you passed had those 3-season tires I mentioned above. I've got in a rough situation with our old FWD Saturn and I blame the tires. Barely climbed the grade on a snowy interstate. Granted the weather forecast was wrong, the DOT was caught flatfooted, and the highway was a mess. Still, I think a set of real snow tires would have taken the angst out of it. With good snow tires 3-4" of snow shouldn't stop traffic, but it did. I think a lot of drivers were relying on 4wd and 3-season tires. Much better off with 2wd and the appropriate rubber. JMO.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-02-2019, 01:26 AM

There is the Wrangler if you want to go off road. If you need to take kids to soccer practice and don't want to be seen in a Pacifica... The renegade, compass and Cherokee are all car based options.

Most people don't need 4wd. My 4x2 compass worked just fine in a snowstorm with winter tires. It's an option. Check the box if you want it, don't check the box if you don't. My 4x2 is plenty capable for my needs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in